Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Politicalrancor posted:

It's being widely acknowledged because it's a voice to a face and not just legal documentation and second hand accounts. Also it involves sex and Magic Johnson. It's "juicy"

haha gross

Rick posted:

I don't think it's ludicrous to say that Magic Johnson is one of LA's biggest sports figures still.

That's not his fault, it's the AIDS drugs that made him put on weight

It's the "the biggest" part that people are taking issue with, since that would most likely still be Kobe Bryant

I'm glad all of us aren't racist, though, it's a real relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

I don't think it's ludicrous to say that Magic Johnson is one of LA's biggest sports figures still.

Most popular player to play for the city's most popular team, and now the major public facing owner of the second most popular team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Yah i was saying that Magic was the biggest LA sports figure.

Oh well then yeah. I thought you meant Sterling.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MourningView posted:

I know all this, I just think it kinda sucks that it needed to be part of a big juicy gossip story with Multimedia Elements to get people to finally decide that Donald Sterling is kinda lovely.

And I would not even keep bringing it up but people keep responding to it all outraged when everyone mentions this so now I am trying to explain.

Nah what really sucks is that no one would care half as much if it hadn't been about Magic 'half-billion net worth' Johnson. America now, and arguably since the OJ trial, has far more of an emotional response about racism against rich people of color rather than racism against poor people of color. No one cared about his slum tenement sloughing off black people- well, they were poor and therefore doubtfully worthy. Sterling's attitude towards his girlfriend having rich black friends is what provokes the response we have now.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

MourningView posted:

Oh well then yeah. I thought you meant Sterling.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Magic I agree is arguable

Jota fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 27, 2014

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Rick posted:

it also would not shock me if Magic winds up as owner of the Clippers when all is said and done

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

ElwoodCuse posted:

Darren Rovell must be furious that he's banned from going on Twitter and telling us what a bag of potato chips cost back when Sterling bought the Clippers

"Hard to imagine how this incident will harm the Staples brand. Your heart has to go out to them right now"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

I apparently hate gay marriage though.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

It's the "the biggest" part that people are taking issue with, since that would most likely still be Kobe Bryant

Buying the Dodgers has really re-vitalized Magic's profile in La

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Unsure if this was posted already but this sums up what a lot of us have already said quite eloquently

http://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandr...often_ugly.html

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

xbilkis posted:

"Hard to imagine how this incident will harm the Staples brand. Your heart has to go out to them right now"

Declan MacManus posted:

haha gross

Hahaha drat drat drat

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Buying the Dodgers has really re-vitalized Magic's profile in La

Kobe would be the other guy in the discussion, but yeah Magic is loving everywhere.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

MourningView posted:

I apparently hate gay marriage though.
That's not what I said at all but keep running with it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm not so sure about myself anymore!!

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

MourningView posted:

Kobe would be the other guy in the discussion, but yeah Magic is loving everywhere.

That's what got them both in trouble :ohdear:

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

IrvingWashington posted:

ahahahahhahahaa

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IrvingWashington posted:

lol dammit

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

IrvingWashington posted:

And you know, that's fine, that's cool, as long as they don't take Instagrams with Sterling's sweeties.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

BuzzFeed @BuzzFeed 4m
26 Powerful Men Who Enjoy Cuckolding With Game of Thrones Reaction GIFs bzfd.it/1lY0CEf

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

IrvingWashington posted:

haha

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Declan MacManus posted:

haha gross

I would go with Kobe too, but if someone wanted to argue Magic to me I think they have a solid argument. I mean my friends back home talk about Magic and the Dodgers 24/7 now and didn't give a gently caress two years ago about anything baseball related.

IrvingWashington posted:

hahaha

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

I'll admit, I wonder what the reaction would have been if the players boycotted, and the NBA investigation revealed that they could do nothing besides a buyout and follow-up litigation if Sterling refused to sell. Would everybody have been more satisfied because of the perception that more was tried? Or would there be a call to have the players sit indefinitely?

I guess what I'm wondering is, how does a boycott in this particular situation go beyond sending the message "I REALLY DON'T LIKE YOU OR WHAT YOU SAID?"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So how quickly can the current Clippers roster bolt from the team if the NBA can't remove Sterling? I'm talking after the playoffs, mind you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Quest For Glory II posted:

So how quickly can the current Clippers roster bolt from the team if the NBA can't remove Sterling? I'm talking after the playoffs, mind you.

They don't have a lot of choice in the matter: http://data.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/clippers.jsp

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul and Blake are there for 4 more years

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Paul & Griffin to the Lakers for Gasol, Nash, and the Lakers' lottery pick

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Demanding trades would be a very loud public gesture to indicate dissatisfaction with the ownership but I don't believe you can do that during the playoffs

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Rick posted:

I would go with Kobe too, but if someone wanted to argue Magic to me I think they have a solid argument. I mean my friends back home talk about Magic and the Dodgers 24/7 now and didn't give a gently caress two years ago about anything baseball related.

I think it's the crossover sports thing, that Magic is eminently likable and the Kobe's Lakers are 4 years removed from a title. Still like 1 and 1a though.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
All these people prediciting/demanding boycotts, trade demands and players sitting out are too funny. The players probably don't give a poo poo to be honest. To them Sterling is just the dude signing their checks. A leaked TMZ tape isn't going to make them want to bolt from a championship caliber team like the Clippers. Odds are this whole thing just blows over in a month, which sucks but thats the way of the world.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jota posted:

Paul and Blake are there for 4 more years
Basketball contracts are fully guaranteed right? So their only option would be to sit out. There is literally no happy ending to this situation.

cravius posted:

All these people prediciting/demanding boycotts, trade demands and players sitting out are too funny. The players probably don't give a poo poo to be honest.
They discussed a boycott before deciding against it. It wasn't a dreamed up fantasy by goons.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

cravius posted:

The players probably don't give a poo poo to be honest.

Regardless of what one thinks of the inside-out practice unis, it nonetheless shows they do, in fact, give a poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

cravius posted:

All these people prediciting/demanding boycotts, trade demands and players sitting out are too funny. The players probably don't give a poo poo to be honest. To them Sterling is just the dude signing their checks. A leaked TMZ tape isn't going to make them want to bolt from a championship caliber team like the Clippers. Odds are this whole thing just blows over in a month, which sucks but thats the way of the world.

I don't think they'll demand trades, I'm just saying that's probably the most they can do.

It will probably blow over, and people will forget

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Glad people are now coming to terms with the futility of this

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

It better not have been all for naught, since it overshadowed Vince Carter's badass three. :mad:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

weezy f baby weighs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-MKU8_TVQ

(he's not stoked)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Probably Magic posted:

It better not have been all for naught, since it overshadowed Vince Carter's badass three. :mad:
NBA Shop will market "solidarity" warmups where both sides look like they're inside out. Only $59.99.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

mynameisjohn posted:

weezy f baby weighs in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V-MKU8_TVQ

(he's not stoked)

xxThePoorGamer32 minutes ago

I love how everybody is taking this to the heart. But tomorrow some white guy will get shot by 3 black guys and no one will even hear about it. I wonder if Obama would have commented on this if he was white.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Probably Magic posted:

Regardless of what one thinks of the inside-out practice unis, it nonetheless shows they do, in fact, give a poo poo.

They had to do something for appearances, but they really don't care enough to do anything meaningful no matter how much yall hope they do.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
e: You're a bit late to the thread ^^

Glad people are now coming to terms with the futility of this

Are you talking about ousting Sterling or our playoff run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

cravius posted:

The players probably don't give a poo poo to be honest. To them Sterling is just the dude signing their checks.
Well, here's Baron Davis' talking about feeling super anxious whenever he saw Sterling enter the arena. He also calls him a delusional muppet.

I'm fairly sure we'll get more ex-player accounts in the next couple of days showing that Sterling isn't just the guy who signs their checks for a lot of these guys.

• Locked thread