Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's cool that LeBron just straight up said "gently caress that guy" because you know Jordan would have pulled some weak rear end "white supremacists buy shoes too" poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how Sterling could be dating a person who is black/hispanic, field a team full of black players, encourage his girlfriend to have sex with Magic Johnson, etc., but then I realized he is a crazy old piece of poo poo racist and I just wasted 10 minutes trying to solve an unsolvable person.

Unrelated but that av makes me so happy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Philthy posted:

It's a good summary, but I disagree with this:

It is pretty apparent he is running this team like a plantation and the players as slaves.

I don't think you know what slave means.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh you think he's just a racist shithead??? Well I think he is THE WORST PERSON WHO HAS EVER LIVED! And YOU are racist for not thinking that too! Take that! I care the most about racism. I am the most enlightened person on all the internet.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As a white dork on the internet it is definitely my place to tell Chris Paul and Doc Rivers how they should react to their racist employer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its mostly a strawman that he is weirdly obsessed with really.

Don't worry Charles, you are still outrage champion, no one will dare challenge your crown. You are doing this forum a fine service by taking every opportunity to bravely state "racism is pretty bad". I don't know where we'd be without you. Probably talking about basketball or something. There's no time for that, we must spend all our efforts educating a lot of not at all racist people about how terrible racism is.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

They turned their warmup jerseys inside out.

so what? It's something. Their entire life is dedicated to winning basketball games, asking them to just stop because a known racist dummy said some racist poo poo is asking a lot, and it's a lot easier to do when you aren't the one giving up what you've worked all season for.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CharlestheHammer posted:

See? I don't get it. Who cares how outraged you are its pointless.

Apparently a lot of people since every time this happens we get about 80 pages of people saying the exact same thing in increasingly extreme ways. For example, that dude who decided he had to trump everyone else by comparing Blake Griffin to a slave.

Pretty much everyone here agrees that racism/sexism/homophobia/whatever is lovely, so I guess I don't see the point in going around in circles getting angrier about it, unless it's just to show off how enlightened you are. Like who are you trying to convince? It's the ultimate preaching to the choir.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Emanuel Collective posted:

But that hasn't been happening in this thread. Instead, we're seeing posts wondering why Sterling's comments are such a big deal and that this must be the nefarious work of tumblr social justice warriors.

I am admittedly talking about a larger forum issue but there's definitely some of it here too, as evidenced by you apparently thinking that there are people who actually believe what he said was okay.

And no one thinks that what he said isn't bad, that I can tell. People are wondering why this in particular is a huge deal when no one really seemed to care (to the point that the loving NAACP was about to give him an award before this broke) about several decades of him being a known racist slumlord. It's really weird that THIS is the thing that is the last straw and has everyone calling for the team to be taken away and saying how they could never play for him, when it's not even remotely the worst or most racist thing he has done. About the only answer I can give for why this matters and the other stuff didn't is that twitter wasn't a thing when the housing discrimination suit happened,

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 27, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I guess I never heard David Duke speak, could someone please provide me with an audio recording so that I can know for sure that he was racist?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You really sound like a guy who complained about the Grammy's performance with the weddings because it's not really a "big deal".

what the gently caress

I think it's bad that he is a racist, I just wish that people had acted this outraged like a decade ago instead of pretending that it's new. That's all anyone is saying. No one thinks that what he said was okay. You can wonder why this was the straw that broke the camels back as opposed to the other stuff without secretly being a member of the KKK.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Cmon, you know thats not what people are saying at all. It's a big deal to the public at large because secret recordings of horrible lovely idiots are gossip fodder, especially when they discuss arguably the biggest Los Angeles sports figure.

I know all this, I just think it kinda sucks that it needed to be part of a big juicy gossip story with Multimedia Elements to get people to finally decide that Donald Sterling is kinda lovely.

And I would not even keep bringing it up but people keep responding to it all outraged when everyone mentions this so now I am trying to explain.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Don't do this to me, not today hoss.

OC =/= LA

He still doesn't even crack like the top 10.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

I think it was J.A. Adande who said that this might not even be in the top 10 worst things Sterling's done, but they got Capone on tax evasion, so...

Saying "everyone should have known Sterling was racist before this anyway" is about as insightful as the Race To Be Most Outraged; if this is what it took to get people to take note of Donald Sterling being a terrible human being, then you might as seize the opportunity to push for something to be done about it.

I don't even disagree, just saying that it's dumb to accuse people who point out that this isn't new of not caring sufficiently about racism or thinking that what he said was okay, which seemed to be what was happening.

And now I'm done, before I somehow get accused of being a homophobe again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

I'd love you to tell me about where I live

This is a seriously silly thing to argue about but he is not a bigger figure than Magic or the Buss family, and there are a bunch of players who are a lot more well known.

Rick posted:

I don't think it's ludicrous to say that Magic Johnson is one of LA's biggest sports figures still.

I think he is probably the biggest.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Yah i was saying that Magic was the biggest LA sports figure.

Oh well then yeah. I thought you meant Sterling.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm glad all of us aren't racist, though, it's a real relief

I apparently hate gay marriage though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Politicalrancor posted:

Buying the Dodgers has really re-vitalized Magic's profile in La

Kobe would be the other guy in the discussion, but yeah Magic is loving everywhere.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IrvingWashington posted:

That's what got them both in trouble :ohdear:

lol dammit

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Fine him $2 million and use the money to start a scholarship endowment for black students. Knowing that his money is forever funding their education is the best revenge for that piece of poo poo.

He already donates a shitload to minority groups to try to distract from being a racist slumlord, which is how he was going to get that NAACP award.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

what you guys have to remember is that Donald Sterling is 81 and literally does not give a single loving poo poo

Yeah also this. Dude is pretty used to people hating him at this point, it's going to be really hard to pressure him into selling.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cisneros posted:

Didn't he also lowball Manning because that was "too much money for a black"?

I remember the story being that he thought he could get away with lowballing him because "that's a lot of money for a black guy!" or something like that, but you might be right too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tombstone posted:

What is the thinking behind the sponsors who are dropping the Clippers dropping the players as well?

AsInHowe is really dumb

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's probably selig, honestly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

I really hate Bud Selig.

He is a tremendous doofus in a lot of ways but has also done a lot of stuff that's been good for the game. It's not a very high bar to clear.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Adam Silver has stupid ears and his number one priority as commissioner is the stupid age limit so gently caress that dweeb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The politcal environment is not so bad that people in great enough numbers to actually hurt the league are going to side with Sterling and boycott the product as a result, particularly since I would guess most virulent racists are probably not big fans of a league that is like 80% black. And I still doubt they take the team away, they'll just give him a huge suspension and fine. He could be indirectly forced to sell by losing sponsors and TV money, but I don't think they can say "you aren't allowed to own the team anymore and we're taking it"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 29, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BigBoss posted:

I'm not talking about virulent, hardcore KKK type racists, I'm talking about your average, run of the mill, white Romney voter. So really it's a more insidious type of thing that's born partly of racism, partly of hysteria, and partly of idiocy. I know there are loads of sports fans like this that even cheer black players as long as they are "classy" and "play the right way". Stripping someone of an asset for their beliefs (even if they are lovely) is like a hot button issue for these people. Hobby Lobby went to the Supreme Court last week because the "government was trying to make them pay for abortions!" and Chick-Fil-A had lines out the door when they became "a good, Christian company". There are poo poo loads of these people out there, and they have lots of money - money the NBA wants. Many of them left the NBA post Jordan, but there are still some taking their kids to the Pacers game or whatever. Even if they aren't the primary fans, they might be bankrolling someone who is a fan, like their children or grandchildren. All I'm saying is that if the NBA did something really drastic, I wouldn't be surprised if it became a talking point for Hannity or some other right wing shill. Is it possible that some 2 bit Congressman looking to make a name for himself in an election year starts beating the drum? I'm not saying it will happen, I'm just saying it's a real risk at this point in time given the divisive nature that has evolved over the last few years. I guess I don't have a lot of faith in the public at large right now, so I can't help but worry that people will be dumb and this could turn into an us vs them type thing.

oh for gently caress's sake can we not do this in the sports forum?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Sorta, This doesn't seem like something he would make up. I wouldn't be surprised if he heard this from Jalen, who for sure has sources.

I'm sure Jalen knows more players, but I would guess Simmons is way more plugged in when it comes to people in the league office. He definitely has sources, but he's also prone to exaggerating stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is not how loving free speech works you goddamn morons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Haha It is the 2.5 million

That's the most they're allowed to fine him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

THE RED MENACE posted:

Adam Silver kinda owns????

nah

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mynameisjohn posted:

why are you guys arguing about loving fracking in here? close this thread.

A fine idea.

e: Lockback if something big happens and I forget to reopen it feel free

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

DIDN'T TAKE LONG!

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-sterling-not-selling-clippers

Man who has a history of being a shithead: Continues being a shithead.

lol

Okay, just don't talk about any other stupid political poo poo or I will lock this again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Philthy posted:

AM radio was speculating that the "forcing him to sell" is basically "We will bar the Clippers from the NBA." since they can't actually force him to sell, they can just remove the team entirely and make a brand new one with new owners.

This is a fun precedent to set for pretty much all owners, I think. Sports or otherwise.

I am pretty sure they mean force him to sell, although it'd be fun to see the team just dissolve and everyone become a free agent. Blake to Utah because he pretended to be Karl Malone that one time!!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you have people following you around with your name on their heads you've really made it, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm having a harder time defending the hat/visor/whatever that looks like something the mutant offspring of steve spurrier and daft punk would rock though.

I will wear a super shiny face covering that makes me look like an alien from a bad student sci-fi film, that is a sure fire way to get people to ignore me.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 1, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I clicked on the thread specifically to do that so I agree! This thread is bad. Way to go, jerks. If something interesting happens I guess Lockback can re-open it or someone can PM me to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol whoops, didn't even see that Lockback had closed it! Someone PM'd me to close it and so I came in here to do that. Good job, Lockback.

• Locked thread