Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

it would be literally perfect storytelling if Magic Johnson wound up purchasing the team

Ah yes the classic storytale ending of where the evil team owner is paid a billion dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

what you guys have to remember is that Donald Sterling is 81 and literally does not give a single loving poo poo

Well also a lot of owners own teams in order to be in the spotlight and have access to the sport lifestyle. Bright lights, big athletes, hot women, tons of media attention. That's stuff that just reeks of egoism and nothing hurts a dude like Sterling more than a blow to his ego.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AsInHowe posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/4/28/5660950/donald-sterling-girlfriend-recordings

Donald Sterling's ex-girlfriend reportedly has more than 100 hours of recordings

Keep leaking those recordings out, "V. Stiviano"!

He had her record them because he was losing his memory?

"Honey, can you play me back the tape from Monday? I forgot what my stance was on those scheister Jews."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's really lovely that Blake and CP3 are taking the financial hit for their owner's rear end in a top hat behavior.

I wonder how this will affect them and future players from wanting to go play for the Clippers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I hope all this leads to a dispersion draft and the Knicks somehow get Griffin

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's times like this that I wish my owner was a terrible racist and also recorded himself frequently

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay now dub the Donald Sterling audio recordings over that smooth James Dolan jazz and you've got a winner.

James Dolan plays the blues. Donald Sterling plays the blacks.

Both are themed around lamenting things that surround you in life.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AsInHowe posted:

Shatner is a guy who is always available. Always.

Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is angry about how angry everyone is getting.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

First off, there's only one winner of the Finger-Wagging Olympics, Kareem, and that's Dikembe Mutombo

He makes good points even though it comes off weird.

Basically he's just saying that everyone becoming morally outraged is tiring and that privately taping someone in order to expose them to the world is unsettling. He also wishes people got outraged the first time Sterling was exposed as a scumbag racist instead of sitting on it until it festered over again. And finally, he thinks that exposing and denouncing a scumbag racist won't do much towards combating racism. That idea was reflected earlier in this thread when john said that Sterling is an 81 year old dude who doesn't give a poo poo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Haha thats fantastic

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Congratulations everyone, we've solved racism!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Allow the players currently signed to get easy out routes to other teams/free agency, take away all future draft picks, watch as Sterling signs a team full of guys that look like Henry Rollins.

*Bill Lambieer's phone starts ringing off the hook*

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Guys this is merely a warning fine, a flop warning for owners if you will

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

chunkles posted:

what does 'suspended indefinitely' even mean like he can't go to games or mismanage the team or what?

Indefinitely means they haven't figured out a time period yet for the suspension. That will change once they pass down a real decision.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

5 million is 5 million. Come on.

Plus they fined him 5 million dollars for expressing his right to freedom of speech in the confines of his own privacy.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This is how it starts, when a boy becomes a man. But unchecked, that man can become a tyrant, and the whole world will cry.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Can Adam Silver reopen the case of Dolan v Fanbase?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Silver is going to go home, take his coat off, hang it up on the door, maybe make some tea, then lay the wood to Mrs. Silver like a conquering hero.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

thefncrow posted:

I don't doubt it for a second. If that vote was held and failed, that would signal the impending end of the NBA in the coming media shitstorm.

Not one owner would dare align themselves with Sterling after that PR nightmare.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's amazing how easily this could have been the 5 mil indefinite suspension thing rumored earlier. Don Silver is a blessed man.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I still can't believe this turmoil just had to affect the team playing against Mark Jackson.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I'll take the billion and HIV any day over any other situation.

Billion dollars is gently caress you I've got a cure money.

HIV medication has come a super long way. The average person can live a full and long life with the medications they have now.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Miko posted:

While I understand why Silver had to do what he did, as his first major act as commissioner, something about the grand scheme of things just bothers me. Almost as if the massive backlash from major media celebrities and friggin OBAMA made it happen.

Donald Sterling is a bigot and he has been his whole life. He's probably made these racist comments for far longer than a lot of us have been alive. The fact of the matter is that one of his mistresses was under fire by his wife for receiving lavish gifts and she basically takes it upon herself to bring Sterling down by privately recording his racist tirades.

He's getting a lifetime ban and (likely) forced to sell his team for being a closet racist and entrapped by that woman. Which, although not a good thing, isn't illegal? I would think things like game-fixing and illegal ownership practices would grant these kind of punishments.

I am in no way condoning what Sterling did, but I would not be surprised if other owners are doing or have done worse.

Of course but the NBA is a privately owned organization and you can set morality clauses that employees have to follow.

Also while a ton of owners are undoubtedly scumbags, really you have to be one to make that much money in your lifetime, it doesn't excuse Sterling's behavior. You are right that the backlash now is spurred by people getting offended way too late, and it is a dangerous precedent to set if the commissioner will give a lifetime ban due to outside influences.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

lololol

quote:

On NBA Countdown, Simmons plays a slightly exaggerated version of himself: a comedic troublemaker, "the wild card who doesn't give a poo poo," he tells me. "I'm part historian, part know-it-all, and part poo poo-stirrer. I don't hold back – that's the key."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Miko posted:

I like this answer. Always got my back Daltos.

I can see from the perspective that this is really the straw that broke the camel's back. Sterling was not a good representative of the NBA and although an owner, he needed to go. It just rubs me the wrong way when people celebrate this V.Stievano woman for serving justice, when she basically wanted to gently caress over the guy for personal reasons.

I think personal reasons is a perfectly good reason to gently caress someone over, especially if they contain unbelievable racism directed towards half your ancestry.

What I'm worried about is that, like you said, he wasn't banned for being racist, he was banned for being caught.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
drat it some fucker posted "Why can't James Dolan be racist?" on reddit and got like 2.7k karma for it with people praising him as brilliant. I've been saying that for days now and you chuckleheads can't even empty quote me a thousand times with :iceburn:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This fucker probably drives two different cars

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Whirlwind Jones posted:

:ssh: He fucks black people.

Only half the time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Guys I think the question we're all asking ourselves is would we take Sterling's geriatric boner for a few years in order to get some paper spendy money?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hand of the King posted:

Lmao Doltos actually cares about Internet Points.

It was obviously tongue in cheek.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sportsgenius86 posted:

http://www.nj.com/ledger-dalessandr...often_ugly.html

This is very much worth a read. It starts out hilariously.

My company works in delineation projects for fracking and almost all environmental concerns are unfounded at this moment. Not saying there can't be environmental issues, just that there's a whole new field of study currently where scientists are trying to figure out what exactly the long term issues are. Natural gas in drinking water is an immediate issue, though, and sometimes you can light tapwater on fire if there's fracking nearby. Either way farmers are making a killing right now putting the screws to anyone who wants to frack on their land.

The main issue with fracking from what scientists at my work say is that it's super loving loud.

Also I didn't get a chance to watch the Silver press conference until last night and holy cow that man's dick probably grew 3 sizes when he laid the ban hammer to Sterling. Mad respect for Silver.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I would say Natrual Gas in Drinking Water is probably a founded enviromental concern. then again Doltos.

I'm not surprised that you looked past the part where I said almost all and then included the part long term. Then again, Dexo.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vladimir Putin posted:

Not bringing black people with you or not being on Instagram because it makes him look bad is pretty loving bad.

Yeah. He didn't say men in general, just black men. That's specifically going past the part where he doesn't want her bringing guys around so people think she's loving multiple dicks at once, it was specifically black men so she wouldn't ruin Sterling's image or some such nonsense.

There really is no defense for Sterling. That was classic old school racism at its finest.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

I'm not saying it's not bad, but It's not like he said gently caress all Black people I don't want them at my game. He just said I don't want my girl to be seen with them. Which is probably something that a bunch of old rich white dudes do with their Girlfriends, Daughters etc etc.

It's really loving lovely thing to say. I'm just saying that it's really loving hilarious that he was fine with being cucked by a black guy but just didn't want anyone else to know.

Like I would probably be able to look the other way as that's small potatoes compared to real poo poo that people(Sterling himself) have done to disenfranchise a race. The whole evicting Black people and having your wife keep tabs on if Blacks are living in your houses/apartments is what he really should be burning for.

Not him being pissy about it being public that his girlfriend is sleeping with and showing up to games with a black dude

Isn't this the idea that Kareem Abdul-Jabaar put forth that everyone in this thread blasted him for?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

Except Dexo made sense and it wasn't some rambling manifesto.

Also

Really? Those "scientist" paid by a company that is paid by fracking companies say its A OK and flammable tap water is good for your spirits.

Yes because everyone who works in an industry is blind to the dangers of the industry and wholly support those CEOs at the top of the company.

OR

It could be that people who are actually trained through years of experience and schooling to properly identify environmental concerns in water lines know more than an internet messageboard poster named Lockback. I'd go with option 2.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Icy Penguigo posted:

Not to derail this too much, but the EPA and most third party environmental studies have found the results of fracking to range from "generally creates a lot of pollution" to "literally destroys the water supply for entire communities." I trust those studies a lot more than ones from scientists paid for by the industry, especially with the track record that energy industry scientists have... no sir, lead in gasoline is not a problem. Nope.

Of course but fracking was invented in 1947 and was used to frack open more water wells by the 80s. It's only very recently that large scale fracking operations for natural gas and oils have become popular. Diagnosing long term effects simply isn't feasible at the moment, there isn't enough time gone by to come up with accurate results.

The EPA has also released reports that they cannot find long term environmental damages to waterbeds, which is the main source of everyone's drinking water and is continuously renewed by outside water sources.

Regardless, industry scientists aren't the evil beings you're making them out to be. Sure they want to keep their job, but if they're wrong about something it isn't because they're evil. They're just simply wrong, like a lot of scientists outside the industry can be until a theory turns into a law.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I bet if Michael Jordan ran apartment complexes he'd refuse to rent to Steve Kerr

Nah him and Kerr are cool now after Kerr punched him in the face.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

This seems all clear, keep cashing those checks, btw what do you guys recommend I do to put out those toilet fires that happen now? I tried to flush it once and it cause a big fireball in my bathroom and fire extinguishers get expensive. I gotta keep them close to the bed since the green haze that comes from my taps makes it really hard to wake up in the morning. Lol, well let me know when the long term effects are understood and keep fracking those mines.

You are being pretty belligerent about this and are kinda wholly resistant to any logic in the issue. Environmental testing is a serious issue that takes time to diagnose. My company doesn't frack, it cleans up after fracking. It's paid by the government to do so. After Love Canal and the Elizabeth fire, pretty much any environmental concern in my area is a huge freaking deal coupled with hundreds of lawsuits a year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crazy Ted posted:

kind of like what Pete Rose does every year during the Baseball Hall of Fame induction weekend.

:smith:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

mynameisjohn posted:

Nehoray told the Times that Stiviano and Sterling didn't have a romantic relationship.

lol what the gently caress

Sterling was waiting for marriage, I don't see what's so weird about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm still wondering if her name is V. Stiviano or if the V stands for something

• Locked thread