Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I would be if you still have it!

I sure do, let me get some pictures together for you after work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I would be if you still have it!

Do you have an email address I can send the Pics too? You don't have PM's.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sure, defeldus@gmail.com

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

DC set is supposed to be coming out in a little under two weeks and apparently there is an Age of Ultron set slated for sometime in the near future as well.

I was just getting ready to buy a grav feed so now I wonder if I should wait for DC.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sent.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fumaofthelake posted:

DC set is supposed to be coming out in a little under two weeks and apparently there is an Age of Ultron set slated for sometime in the near future as well.

I was just getting ready to buy a grav feed so now I wonder if I should wait for DC.

It depends on what grav feed you want since they are pretty much set for each set you get.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Is anyone interested in any of the WizKids Open promos? I have at least 2 of the full art Black Widow - Tsarina cards with no dice. I also have at least 1 cable and professor x.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I would love a Black Widow. How much?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I would be game for any of those, haven't been able to get to any of the big events.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Any first hand experience with DC dice, anyone?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fumaofthelake posted:

Any first hand experience with DC dice, anyone?

My box only had 1 super-rare :kratos:

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Everblight posted:

My box only had 1 super-rare :kratos:

DC are 90 packs per feed too, right? lovely.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
I've been getting back into this lately, but I'm still nooby mcnoob - I'll be on vassal tonight if anyone fancies a game where I'll inadvertently cheat before losing horribly :)

In the real world, I've a starter and a good few boosters now - all AvX, only one rare, no super rares. It seems like an awesome game but if I'm struggling to find any local players.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Toxteth OGrady posted:

I've been getting back into this lately, but I'm still nooby mcnoob - I'll be on vassal tonight if anyone fancies a game where I'll inadvertently cheat before losing horribly :)

In the real world, I've a starter and a good few boosters now - all AvX, only one rare, no super rares. It seems like an awesome game but if I'm struggling to find any local players.

This is the problem I am having. It's a super fun game, but not a lot of local players that I have seen. Any of you guys play in Salt Lake City, UT or the surrounding area?

Nique
May 18, 2006

Picked up a bunch of packs of this to play with my girlfriend a few months ago, ran through the basic 10 hp tutorial thing and then played a some mess around games to get familiar with the rules.

When it came to the first game we actually tried to take a bit more competitively it went terribly - she ran a fairly aggressive set, i ran more control with strong blockers. Once I set up some defense she stopped attacking because it seemed futile (under the assumption that her dice would go to KO, mine would stay in the field for surviving the hit) and we reached a stalemate just having loads of characters being added to the field but none attacking. I didn't want to attack her until I had enough to 1 shot her as if i didn't she could just let the attack through and take me out. The game dragged on and left us with a bit of a sour taste and we haven't played it since.

I'm guessing I had probably just hit what could more or less be considered a win condition but didn't have a good enough selection of characters to actually close the game out well/easily? Or is it likely we hosed something up with the rules to let the game get to this state?

Nique fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 3, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Flaggy posted:

Would anyone be interested in my Dice Masters collections. Have most everything from Avengers Vs X-Men and have a bunch of stuff from Uncanny X-Men. I can of course send pictures, we just don't play them much anymore. They are stored in the hardcase Ultra Pro deck boxes. I will send them in the hardcase boxes. Lots of boosters with the main packs.

Did you ever end up selling your collection?

Kortsu
Jan 16, 2004

Nique posted:

Picked up a bunch of packs of this to play with my girlfriend a few months ago, ran through the basic 10 hp tutorial thing and then played a some mess around games to get familiar with the rules.

When it came to the first game we actually tried to take a bit more competitively it went terribly - she ran a fairly aggressive set, i ran more control with strong blockers. Once I set up some defense she stopped attacking because it seemed futile (under the assumption that her dice would go to KO, mine would stay in the field for surviving the hit) and we reached a stalemate just having loads of characters being added to the field but none attacking. I didn't want to attack her until I had enough to 1 shot her as if i didn't she could just let the attack through and take me out. The game dragged on and left us with a bit of a sour taste and we haven't played it since.

I'm guessing I had probably just hit what could more or less be considered a win condition but didn't have a good enough selection of characters to actually close the game out well/easily? Or is it likely we hosed something up with the rules to let the game get to this state?

It is really easy to hit a stalemate with two players new to the game. Being able to hit the opponent around his defender line is really the key to making the game work.
Some easy examples that break stalemates (I'm just using the uncanny x-men set because
Common Namor from X-men (unblockable if there are 2 other characters in the field [other Namors do not count})
Any of the Toad cards from X-men (they let you force attacks from the opposing side)
All of the Pyro cards have ways to directly hurt your opponent, even when blocked
There are also a couple characters in the starter (Cyclops and human torch can directly damage the opponent and storm lets you re-roll some of their fielded characters to mess up their plans)
There are others too, those just came off the top of my head.

In short, neither of your decks had a 'true' win condition, and the nature of the game is if neither person has a way to win, both sides just kind of keep stockpiling heroes like cold war countries stockpile bombs.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
So I've started getting in to DC Dice masters. I've bought enough that, in theory, I'll just play with friends from the whole collection rather than get super-competitive. So far it's working out OK.

I also managed to get the super-rare Constantine in a booster, which I'm thinking of selling. and good places to do that? I'm UK-based, so overseas postage might get a bit expensive.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash
This game loving rules. It's just random enough to where it's a good, meaty game but you can't really get mad at it if the dice gods don't favor you.

I pulled the Super Rare Thanos and got ahold of some OP kits so I'm totally building a midrange deck with Thanos and tournament Apocalypse with the Joker-Harley combo and Uncommon Red Skull. Does the Dark Beast (Nefarious Geneticist) sound better than he is? I've been loving using Mutate 666 but Dark Beast feels like he has something a bit more sizable going for him.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

A Spooky Skeleton posted:

Dark Beast feels like he has something a bit more sizable going for him.

His cost.

A Spooky Skeleton
Aug 28, 2012

i'm a princess of trash

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY~!
Luckily because of the way the game works, playtesting is pretty easy once you have people to play with since you can just try out various stuff.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I had forgotten about this game when it came out because of the supply issues and noticed it in a store recently. If I was looking to put together some cards to have fun with friends and not really worried about playing competitively, what would be the best use of my money to accomplish this?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Malt posted:

I had forgotten about this game when it came out because of the supply issues and noticed it in a store recently. If I was looking to put together some cards to have fun with friends and not really worried about playing competitively, what would be the best use of my money to accomplish this?

Maybe get a common/uncommon lot for one of the sets and buy like 10-20 boosters and a starter for the same set. Depends on how much money you want to put in.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Rainbow draft weekend events are going on this weekend too. So good drafting and awesome promos. Plus starter sets are good for their basic actions. Big entrance on the war of light starter, is legit.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Local X-wing league plays this game before and after we wang it out. I played a game last week with someone else's set, seems like a fun time. I have the first Faerun set coming to me in the mail, even.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The game is super fun. I recently moved cross country and lucked out that my new area has a big community. Our best player is even on the top ten rated players in the world.

The DND sets are great so far, though the second one is hands down better than The first. Both sets work best as a stand alone game as they have mechanics that work best with only DND cards.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Elblanco posted:

The game is super fun. I recently moved cross country and lucked out that my new area has a big community. Our best player is even on the top ten rated players in the world.

The DND sets are great so far, though the second one is hands down better than The first. Both sets work best as a stand alone game as they have mechanics that work best with only DND cards.

I waited for so long to really get into this and I started with the D.C. pack. It doesn't seem super great but I haven't got to play a lot. The DnD packs seem really fun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The thread! It breathes! I have an AoU and BFF Starter Set, the UXM collector's box (PXG whooo?) and several BFF packs. Gonna try to fill out my missing cards before I go whole hog on FUS. I really don't like that they design sets to be "incompatible" with other sets as far as certain keywords and abilities go, especially since every set is legal.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 7, 2016

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I feel the same, but at least the comic book sets are comparable, and they included some really good cards in fus, like common elf thief and rare dwarf wizard. I just wish you didn't get poo poo like experience a million times in the set.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
That's part of why I held off on DnD even though I like the experience mechanic. It should have been a more universal term like villain that triggers it.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I think they just figured that more DND fans would want to play just those sets and wanted to give them a more complete game. I know we have one person who plays DND only teams ATM, even though he has a bit of everything.

I feel bad playing him with the unlimited team I'm working g on for states.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I recently joined the new writing team over at dicemastersdb. My first article was just posted, and I got to finish the world's finest set review!

http://www.dicemastersdb.com/news/worlds-finest-set-review-part-5/

Feel free to tell me how wrong I am about your favorite black lantern or basic action.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is there a good/simple quick start guide to play a quick game?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Red posted:

Is there a good/simple quick start guide to play a quick game?

The starter sets come with an instruction book that details playing a beginner game, including which cards/dice for each player to use. That's about as good a way as any. It's also a pretty simple game, the only part of it that snagged me at the beginning was that dice that succeed (get spent or attack unblocked) go into the used pile to be put back into the bag later, while dice that get killed go into the ready pile and are rerolled and put back into play on your next turn.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also, nobody asked this advice, but I'm giving it anyways!

There's a plastic storage tray made for Dice Masters stuff by a company called Zen Bins. They are fantastic and anyone who has a collection of any size should probably get some.

Another company, T1 Supplies, makes a playmat for the game that has a better layout than the ones sold by WizKids. It has a space on it for out of play dice that haven't yet entered the used pile, it doesn't have the wasted space at the bottom for 'dice bag', and it's moved the life counter to the top of the mat where it's easier to see.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The second D&D set is really great. Now that there are more fiends than just the lonely pit fiend from the first set, there's a whole tribal fiend synergy thing going that works well. I threw a quick thing together last week with hellhounds and pit fiends (make fiends cheaper), glabrezu (make fiends immune to non-combat damage), balors (chance to get a fiend for free) and Orcus (field a fiend from your dice bag for free when he's fielded). It was slower to start than I'd have liked, since fiends aren't cheap to purchase until you get some discounts in play, but once I had a 7/7 balor running around things wrapped up fast.

I'm also interested in setting something up with golems and their new mechanic where you can KO other characters to buy them for free. I'm willing to bet that can turn pretty sick in short order. Got a gravity box on order that should be arriving later this week, hopefully there'll be some goodies in there.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I played a game against a guy who ran all three golems on his team, and use elf thief to sacrifce to field them, so he could refield the elf every turn to reliably steal energy every turn. It was pretty awesome.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My only beef with Dice Masters is that the compatibility between genres is goddamn retarded. A lot of keywords involved don't cross over between sets, so if you play with D&D stuff and your opponent plops down in front of you with Yu-Gi-Oh dice, welp. Better hope you weren't playing with adventurers, 'cause their experience ability will never trigger. Field some evil dice with anti-good powers, and your opponent is playing nothing but super heroes? Won't work: technically they aren't good because they have no alignment icon.

Fortunately there are plenty of cards that don't require an opponent to be playing specific sets to function, and I'd plan around those cards if I was going to just play random jerks somewhere with no knowledge of what sets they'd bring. The irksome part is that it would've been super easy for the design team to implement some universal card design aspects to facilitate cross-genre play, they just didn't bother to do so. And now that this many sets have been printed, they really can't go back and retcon hundreds of cards.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I think my main beef is the sheer number of sets that get released. There's no time to fully explore each one before the next one comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm looking to sell my collection of Marvel Dice Masters. I haven't gone through and figured out a price yet but I have about 225 heroes and 350 dice. If anyone is interested then you can PM. Ill sit down and figure out a price as soon as i get some free time.

• Locked thread