Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Title: Let's Die Playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: You'll Never Be As Lucky As Haifisch
Alternate subtitle: "don't die, eat the purple", all the advice you'll ever need to (not) win.

The previous Let's Die is dead, Long Live the Let's Die! woozle wuzzle did a great job of setting up a system for a lively LP of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Life has a habit of getting in the way, however, and that thread is no longer being maintained. In the long tradition of DCSS threads, I'll be blatantly stealing from the previous OP with a few revisions, in order to celebrate the release of version 0.14 and the successful conclusion of the tournament.

Victory: Haifisch
or Death: ZeeToo
Active runs: Floodkiller, rChandra, UncertainKitten, Someone Awful!

Floodkiller:
Formicid Fighter, Episode 1: Dwants In Your Pants
Formicid Fighter, Episode 2: The Shafted One
Formicid Fighter, Episode 3: Digging a Different Kind of Hole
Formicid Fighter, Episode 4: Fire Hydrants
Formicid Fighter, Episode 5: Lair of Sleeps
Formicid Fighter, Episode 6: Just Put It On My Tab
Formicid Fighter, Episode 7: Browsing the Web
Formicid Fighter, Episode 8: Ant Trap
Formicid Fighter, Episode 9: Fiendish Results
Formicid Fighter, Episode 10: Swiss Army Axe
Formicid Fighter, Episode 11: Formicid_unreasons.jpg
Formicid Fighter, Episode 12: Hall of Removed Content
Formicid Fighter, Episode 13: Let Me Tell You About Peltasts
Formicid Fighter, Episode 14: I'm Burnin' For You

Haifisch: Victory
Orc Jesus, Episode 1
Orc Jesus, Episode 9: Beogh gurgles angrily!
Orc Jesus, Episode 10: The Abyss is a Walk in the Park
Orc Jesus, Episode 11: Nobody Knows Where We're Going But That's OK
Orc Jesus, Episode 12: The End

rChandra
Ogre Summoner, Episode 1: Clubin' you, Clubin' me
Ogre Summoner, Episode 2: One with the Club, Ashenzari and You.
Ogre Summoner, Episode 3: Today's weather forecast- Lightning with a chance of Killer Bees
Ogre Summoner, Episode 4: A New Hope
Ogre Summoner, Episode 5: A Frozen Forest
Ogre Summoner, Episode 6: Rematch
Ogre Summoner, Episode 7: Twenty-Seven Heads are Better than None!
Ogre Summoner, Epidsode 8: Unique Week

ZeeToo Defeated
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part One
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Two
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Three
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Four
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Five
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Six
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Seven
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Eight
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Nine
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Ten
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Eleven
An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer, Part Twelve

UncertainKitten
A Felid Conjurer, Part One: A Meow Rips Itself From Your Throat
A Felid Conjurer, Part Two: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Fulmewnant Prism
A Felid Conjurer, Part Three: Fur ther Into the Dungeon, Landing Feet First in Lair
A Felid Conjurer, Part Four: Padding Deeper, Risking Catastrophe in the Dungeon

Someone Awful! Spriggan Assassin
Episode 1: Murder: How to Do It and not Get Done Yourself
Episode 2: You SpEn Me Right Round, Baby, Right Round
Episode 3: Episode Two Didn't Have A Title

Richard Gamingo: Death by Snorg
ogre assassin, complete listing

Extra Content:
Ziggurats - Azram Legion

Dungeon Crawl is a free-to-play rogue-like RPG. You kill monsters and get loot, and each playthrough is very different. The goal is to delve into a randomly generated dungeon, grab a sacred artifact at the bottom, then return to the surface.

In the tradition of other rogue-likes like Nethack and... Rogue, Dungeon Crawl is difficult. Just winning a basic game is a big accomplishment that can take years and hundreds of attempts. When you die, that's it. You must start over as a different character from the beginning. There's zero persistent growth between games, except for within your soul. A winning game takes between roughly 2 and 20 hours. A death takes far shorter.

It's a fun game that's easy to pick up. I love it, and hope to inspire the same disease in others. The fun is in seeing the ridiculous situations generated by the game, getting fantastic loot, and then dying with it!

LP Master List
Previous thread, fantastic product of woozle wuzzle

A summary of previous adventurers to come shortly, but most of them should be linked to in the previous OP, just a month or two to process (blame tournament), and new episodes to come soon from current runs, myself, and some other goons who recently expressed an interest in IRC. Next two posts reserved.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

More about the dumb game...

(yes, that's an octopus with blade arms holding a rose)

It's a turn-based RPG, played from a modified top down perspective. There are no real-time clocks to the game, but your in-game turns can be precious. The tension in Crawl is so vastly different from every other mainstream game. If some one plays through a typical RPG, the end result is certain. But in Crawl your permanent death lurks behind every door. I might beat it the first go, or I truly could get incinerated 10 steps away from the win. Poor game decisions are punished harshly, making victory really satisfying.

The magic MacGuffin at the end is called the "Orb of Zot". In order to unlock it, you need 3 runes. There are 15 runes scattered throughout the dungeon, and you've got to scrounge up at least 3 of them. Getting all 15 runes is a great win, worthy of putting a print-out on your mom's refrigerator. The first few runes are just sitting on the floor in quaint areas like "The Swamp". The last few are in places like the Iron City of Hell, gripped tightly by a towering hell lord with a legion of screaming demonspawn swarming the battlements for your scent.

Generally you try for as many runes as your character can handle, in theory knowing the right time to pull the ripcord and grab the Orb. Sometimes the randomly generated loot screws you so that 3 runes is your maximum, other times you get decked out in the best stuff to punch a Hell Lord in their dumb face. But in practice, you usually die before seeing a single rune, or try for too many and die horribly.

Dungeon Crawl is a PC game (there's a mobile version too), and the website is here. I'm not on the dev team nor associated with them in any way. You can download a stand-alone "offline" version of the game from that website, or you can play an online version. The game content is identical either way, and both are free. The benefits to playing offline are no need for a stable connection, no server lag, and better mouse functionality. The benefits to playing online is spectating games, tracking your game history so you can see how terrible you are, and it ensures you aren't cheating. That last one is the kicker. When you're 10 hours into a great game and die from not paying attention for 10 seconds, the urge to cheat is extreme (for me). All games shown in this LP are online legit attempts. The game is still being developed and iterated by crazy people. New content is released regularly, and they do a good job.

Getting good at the game is less about memorizing the game's ever-changing content, and more about developing a habitual, conservative playstyle. You cannot just push through each encounter in order, like virtually every other game. Even slightly risky choices add up to dying over the long term; the statistics require you to assume everything will kill you. It took me thousands of attempts offline to get the hang of it, and I still suck. Playing it straight through does not work. It feels like you have to relearn how to play video games to be barely tolerable at crawl.

For each character, you get to pick from a wide variety of species and classes. The overall layout and number of floors to the dungeon is generally known, but the contents of each level are randomly generated. That can include computer generated levels or handmade levels spawned from the nightmares of an evil developer. One floor might be a wide open arena, the next is a town with shops, the next is a forest filled with god damned bears.

What does this dumb game look like?

Welp, it looks like this:

There's a combat log in the bottom left, much like the typical combat log of an MMO. Above it is the main gameplay area. This is where you're looking and playing most of the game. You walk around and the map is revealed as you discover it.

On the middle right side is the minimap. The yellow box on the minimap represents the current view of the gameplay area. Above it is the current stats. You don't need to know what any of that means to enjoy the LP, and I'll discuss things as they become relevant.

Spoilers

The game content is 100% spoiled to me and anyone that plays Crawl much. It's kinda hard to spoil a randomly generated game, so future talk is just fine. Speculating about when games will die is encouraged. You can tell LP'ers what they did wrong or warn them of future problems. The only spoilering I will care about is looking into a player's online history and spoiling information about the attempt prior to the LP'er showing it. Please don't do that. Otherwise, go nuts. No restrictions.

Links:

Dungeon Crawl Website - The official website, download the offline version for free

Current SA games thread on Dungeon Crawl - you can complain about the game here, or get advice I guess

The CAO server - You can play here for free, no download needed
The CSZO server - Another popular server, same deal
The infamous wiki - This is a good starting place for quick information. It's less accurrate but easy to navigate.
A regularly updated mirror of the learndb knowledgebot - This has more details and current strategy. But it takes a certain base knowledge to use effectively. And sometimes the information is -too- current, if you're not playing trunk. A hint on using it: if ctrl-f has too many hits, you can go directly to the relevant entry by tacking a #, the term, with spaces replaced by _ on the end of the url, e.g. blahblah/learndb.html#scroll_of_recharging
Here's a previous Crawl LP done by Chakan
Woozle Wuzzle's previous thread

**************************************************************************************

GUEST LP INFO!

The floor is now opened to ANYONE that wants to LP this poo poo. I really want anyone to feel comfortable. If you suck donkey balls, go for it. If you're a hall-of-famer or developer, show us how it's done. I mean that literally, please please show us how make decisions!

I will update the OP and add episode links for anyone that tries. Deaths are fine. Deaths are encouraged. We all suck at this game. I have some rules though. These aren't designed to be fussy, I just want the viewers to be able to follow the games and give you full attention. PM me or post here with any concerns, suggestions, etc.

Guest LP Rules - REVISED

1. CHANGED Up to three people go at a time. PM me, or post in this thread to get on the list. I'll let you know when it's showtime. Alternatively, bug me in ##gooncrawl. I may personally give the go ahead for more runs if an arbitrary number of people are on 'death watch'.

2. Online attempts only. Sorry guys in Siberia. It's necessary. To people scared of online: sign-up is free and easy, and there's a guide to going online below. After the thread transitions I may be revisiting this particular rule. Let me know if you're interested.

3. Deathwatch: Sometimes the RNG just hates you and repeatedly kills you before you can even get started. You can keep showing attempts until you finish a game that entered lair, orcish mines, or D:15. Or until you call it quits, which is OK. After your run, you are encouraged to get right back on the list and die again!

4. In-progress OR completed games are fine. I decided to start the LP prior to doing the games, but that's crazy. You can cherry-pick games, or do it blind. Either way is fine, we just want to see games!

5. It's your party. There are no restrictions on in-game choices or LP formatting. Go nuts. You can repeat combos, kill 20 felids in a row, steal my style, do your own style, do a video, it's all cool. It's your stage.

6. Try to update at least weekly-ish, or PM me or post to pause and I'll let another person lose. I'm not the LP nazi, I just don't want the thread to wither on the vine. If you lack PMs, I often hang around on ##gooncrawl or CSZO. Not so much ##crawl, however.

7. NEW RULE - If you win, you can call "next" at any time and be next in line.

8. NEW RULE - A little bit of formating is mandatory - nothing serious, just things like "update posts need a title that contains the update number, character name and race/class combo (plus god). Since we're upping the number of ongoing adventures, this should make it easier for readers to keep track of things without effort. Including a link to the previous update would be nice, but not essential.

Active Dungeon Crawlers:
Floodkiller, rChandra, Someone Awful! and Uncertain Kitten are in progress.
RichardGamingo has completed a run, and by completed we mean met Snorg.
Haifisch has emerged victorious.
ZeeToo has met his brutal end.

CURRENT GUEST LP SIGN-UP LIST!

1)SirSamVimes
2)Lord Windy
3)Aumanor
4)pathetic little tramp
5)Shark Mafia
6)AtomikKrab
7)Reserved for me if I don't steal a slot earlier
9)RichardGamingo, run 2

Blank! All previous LP sign-ups have been tossed out! Preferential treatment will be given to previous requests, but I will be assuming unavailability until I hear otherwise. I may sneak myself onto this list some point in the very near future (Thursday, Saturday, or Sunday) if I get a well documented start to lair, or need some content. I've got an ogre warper screenshotted and written up to D:4, just need to upload and sort.

Guide to LP'ing this poo poo - expect this section to be revised shortly - in particular I'll be putting a guide together for IrfanView's screenshot capability as time permits

This is my first LP, so hell if I know. But I can tell you how I stumbled through. First off, LP'ing this game is very time consuming. It may sound fun at first to LP the hijinks of dying 300 times as a felid, but on like episode 10 you lose your mind and really really want to quit. Think long and hard before diving in, because the work to fun ratio is worse than you think. With that uplifting news, this is how I did a screenshot LP.

1. Create an account on LPix.org, and download Rightload, per the LP FAQ on Image Hosting. Spend time getting this image hosting correct before you start anything. It requires opening the .rar file for Rightload, and getting it pointing to your newly created LPix.org account.

2. Ctrl + print screen saves a .png screenshot to your Pictures>Screenshots folder in Windows 8. (The path is c:\Users\Yourname\My Pictures\Screenshots)

Capturing Screenshots with IrfanView
3. Get in the habit of tapping that combo whenever you want a screenshot. Play a floor or two of a dummy game and get the feel for it.
4. Play your game and tap the screenshot combo.
5. Choose a picture editing program. Infranview is probably best, I honestly just used mspaint. It did everything I needed.
6. Set that picture editor program as the default for opening a .png file. (Right-click, Open With, Choose default program)
7. Go nuts cropping your pictures. I'd just get in a crazy rhythm of: enter, crop, ctrl-S, exit, right arrow. Repeat that sequence 200 times.

8. CREATE YOUR POST IN WORDPAD OR NOTEPAD OR WHATEVER. Don't just open something awful and try to post. Your browser WILL close on you. You WILL an hour of work if you don't listen to me. Trust me on this one. Have SA open to preview as you go, BUT TYPE ALL EDITS IN WORDPAD THE ENTIRE TIME.

The posting part was the most time consuming for me, by far. The picture taking and cropping was relatively quick. Piecing together 200 screenshots from a week ago whilst making it mildly interesting or informative is a giant pain in the rear end.

Guide to Going Online
Guest LP'ers must play online, which can be an irritating transition. I played a billion hours offline and made the switch years later, so I'll try to impart my wisdom.

First, pick a server. If you live in the US, then pick CAO or CSZO (many players use both and swap depending on whatever has less lag). If you live in the Europes, then try CLAN, or RHF. If you live someplace else... then... welp. I dunno. Getting a login is simple, no email or registration required. The online in-game content is 100% identical for released patches, but the interface is very different. There's almost no mouse support online. ALL you get is the ability to right-click the minimap, but you can't even left-click a square to examine in. No on-screen inventory. No clicking. It's a brick wall when you first log in.

Learning the keyboard commands is really the issue for going online. The first time can be extremely frustrating. But trust me when I say that once you learn the commands, it feels no different than offline. I'm going to post a list of commonly used keyboard commands, because the help interface sucks kangaroo dick. This isn't an exhaustive list, but these are what an offline player may not know if they use the mouse heavily.

Keyboard Command list
w : wield (hit w - [minus] to wield nothing)
W : Wear armor/shield
T - Take off armor/shield
P : Put on jewelry
R - Remove jewelry
Q - quiver different ammo
q - quaff a potion
r - read a book/scroll
= - assign weapon primary and secondary weapon
' - swap between primary and secondary weapon
v - evoke your wielded item
V - evoke something from inventory (like wands)
x - examine squares (move around cursor, v describes the targeted thing)
X - examine the floor

And the most helpful thing that allowed me to play online without killing myself:
X then > finds the nearest down staircase. X then < finds the nearest up. You can keep hitting < or > to cycle through the next closest. "Closest" appears to be closest by actual walking distance, not pure X,Y distance. Escape pops you out of the examine mode.

OK ENOUGH JIBBER JABBER, LET'S PLAY DUNGEON CRAWL STONE SOUP!

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 10, 2014

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

What's this third post for? It's a "What's New" post, not for observers but the players themselves.

After things settle in, I expect a few minor rule changes and maybe a monthly challenge to go up, or perhaps a list of active goons who play online, with their favorite servers. That's all in the future.

Right now, the main change from the previous thread is lifting the number of ongoing adventures from two to three!

Proposed changes I'll consider once I get this thread in order.
  • Local tiles
  • Online Console
  • "All new LPs should show either a combination, strategy, etc. that hasn't been seen before so as to keep things interesting." - this might go in after I neatly summarize previous entrants into a convenient or just merely be a suggestion, if the thread goes on long enough.
  • "The rule making online mandatory always seemed silly to me, I don't get why it was there in the first place. It could probably be safely removed." - I've gotten just a few opinions on this either way, for now I intend to keep things webtiles only, but I'm open to discussion after we wrap up a couple of previous adventures.
  • Since Dungeons now only goes to fifteen, "... I feel like maybe the Deathwatch rule should be when you enter Lair, or reach D: 15, whichever happens first"

Deathwatch is entered the lair, orcish mines, or reached D:15.

Thread title credit to TravelLog

For convenience's sake, doubling up:
Active: Floodkiller, rChandra, UncertainKitten, SomeoneAwful!
Top of signup queue: SirSamVimes

Current Summary: Someone Awful! is gearing up for his run.

For random spectating, a google doc with goon names and favorite servers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Akcb-Cj8klYXdGJPdUZRYm5PXzVSaFhnc09pbVM1cHc&usp=sharing

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 7, 2014

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012
I'm gonna volunteer to guest LP a cat of Kikubaaqudgha, then~.

Thanks for starting the new thread, by the way, I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Aaah, minty-fresh new thread smell. :allears:

Put me in, coach! I'd love to cover a spriggan or something, and probably die in an anticlimactic, easily-preventable way somewhere post two runes. As I am wont to do.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Drop me into the queue somewhere too, undecided WHAT I'll do but it'll be bad because I am certified Bad At Crawl.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'm still interested in LPing something. I'll see what's still unseen when my turn's up.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I think it could be interesting to see a speedrun at some stage for something different, unless someone has done one already that i've missed. I'm not particularly good at it but just from watching a few speedrunners on CAO it's like a completely different way of playing the game. Just a suggestion for someone better at this game than me!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
May I go on the list please.

I love this game, and have always been a silent follower of the other threads. I'm glad I could be on a groundfloor of a new one :)

EDIT:

I am utterly poo poo at it though. Roguelikes and me never seem to get along :(

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Alright, put me on the list too, I'm ready to stupidly splat another DEVM.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Alright now that we're kind of figured out on this, I'm going to try to be a Mummy of Something - it could be Sif, it could be Kiku, it could end up being Xom, but throw me on the list and we'll see if I can ever get a mummy past lair.

edit: also, nice thread tag

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Holy crap ctrl+print screen will give me screenshots. Thank for the info.

I plan to continue posting video LPs of DCSS!

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
^Please don't.

I'd like to get signed back up. Probably an Abyssal Knight of some kind, because Lucy is the best god.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
We should try and get the previous LPs archived. I would hate to lose their informative content and Zot knows, the Ultimate Lifeform deserves to a place in history.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

RichardGamingo posted:

Holy crap ctrl+print screen will give me screenshots. Thank for the info.

I plan to continue posting video LPs of DCSS!

Eh, any drama aside

1). I'll be doing a guide to irfranview screencaps, replacing woozle's printscreen advice
2). In hindsight, I don't see a problem with video lps in general, even if they die after seeing lair. They don't hog up much forums space, unlike a wall of images, and the playlist feature makes it easy to track what happened previously
3). I haven't had time to watch all the LP vids, but I didn't see any bad gameplay decisions in your OgAs episode 3. Better strategy than many people I've spectated on webtiles, I approve of that. I'd personally suggest post-commentary to live, and less facecam/intro, but I'm willing to see more, especially since I have a soft spot for ogres. Your VSWr 2 video forums post was way too loud (I hated that flashy GIF), but your forums announcement of video three was just about right.

I still have to come up with a series of guidelines, however. Also however, I'm running on just a few hours of sleep, so I'm not deciding anything right now unless I absolutely have to.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

If anyone wants runthrough suggestions, I don't think we've seen a proper archer, a full-on conjurer of any of the four elements, or a summoner (although Orc Jesus kinda comes close). Interesting races still wanting the attention of a full runthrough include Vampires, Merfolk, Octopodes, Centaurs, Tengu and Kobolds. It feels like most of the gods haven't really been touched upon but I'm probably wrong.

If I have missed anyone out I do not apologise, I did it specifically to offend you.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I like how you preface that with "interesting" races.

No one wants to see a demigod run.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Has anyone done a spriggan? I hope someoneawful does that, but if not then they definitely belong on the list of interesting races that haven't been done.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

I like how you preface that with "interesting" races.

Gonna do a Human of Okuwaru!!

And yes spriggans need demonstration. I would also argue Deep Elves, assuming it's possible to show their downsides without a game over screen.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

scalded schlong posted:

If anyone wants runthrough suggestions, I don't think we've seen a proper archer, a full-on conjurer of any of the four elements, or a summoner (although Orc Jesus kinda comes close). Interesting races still wanting the attention of a full runthrough include Vampires, Merfolk, Octopodes, Centaurs, Tengu and Kobolds. It feels like most of the gods haven't really been touched upon but I'm probably wrong.

If I have missed anyone out I do not apologise, I did it specifically to offend you.

We still need to see the majority of gods, only Oka, Mahkleb, Xom, Zin, Jivya, Trog, Sif and Vehumet have been shown so far.

Races you didn't list: Mummy, Ghoul, High Elf, Humans, Lava Orc (?)

e: Schlong, maybe substitute Yred for Oka and go for a hybrid build?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Has anyone done a spriggan? I hope someoneawful does that, but if not then they definitely belong on the list of interesting races that haven't been done.

I'm absolutely planning to do a Spriggan -- probably enchanter, probably of Ashenzari (did someone do Ash already?) or Nemelex (same question? I guess I'll check my dang self). I'd consider Kiku but I don't want to step on UncertainKitten's toes and she'd probably do a way better job of it than I would anyway.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I don't think anyone's done Ash or Nemelex, which is really too bad because they are two of my favorite gods. Grandpa Oka's a cool guy but Nemelex knows how to have some fun.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TravelLog posted:

e: Schlong, maybe substitute Yred for Oka and go for a hybrid build?

Actually I might just ignore gods, and just hang around the entrance vault on D1 killing whatever comes near.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

We might also want to add Sprint to the list. Life is hectic right now, but if things calm down for me I might be able to show off Zig Sprint.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

scalded schlong posted:

Actually I might just ignore gods, and just hang around the entrance vault on D1 killing whatever comes near.

Blinkrobin sounds like a good idea:
https://loom.shalott.org/learndb.html#blinkrobin

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

RichardGamingo: If you want a slot, I have two questions to ask you.

Do you want an active slot or a signup slot?

Do you want an ogre assassin or a another character?

The following WAS NOT an explicit rule in the previous thread but merely a coincidence that I wish to make official.

When a player's slot comes up in the rotation as active, they need a 'declaration of intent'. I will be flexible on this and be open to discussing other goals (speedrun, sprint, other), but the automatically accepted form will consist of at least two of the following: God, Class, Race. Certain conducts may also be acceptable, self-imposed challenges, sprint runs, speed runs, etc.
e.g. Felid Necromancer, Hill Orc of Vehumet, Fire Elementalist of Dithmenos. Of course, Merfolk Ice Elementalist of Okawaru will also be viable. Abandoning one god for another is allowable.

Once your run starts, you're expected to stick to that declaration until you give up or reach Lair, at which point you either die (and you leave the rotation) or you win, and have the option of continuing your streak.

This rule will also apply to screenshot LPs for the near future.

RichardGamingo and thread in general: any objections?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

TravelLog posted:

We should try and get the previous LPs archived. I would hate to lose their informative content and Zot knows, the Ultimate Lifeform deserves to a place in history.

LordSloth posted:

2). In hindsight, after seeing lair. They don't hog up much forums space

These are true things.

scalded schlong posted:

I would also argue Deep Elves, assuming it's possible to show their downsides without a game over screen.
That is their only downside. And it is eternal. A deep elf bleeding out over and over and over forever.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

scalded schlong posted:

I will cover what happens when you do this with a mummy either way :)

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Is there some way to get the April Fools day nostalgia build? I'd love to see someone give it a run through. If people are thinking of a ranged character I'd really recommend a Halfling Hunter, with some luck with stones I'm pretty sure a no melee run is totally possible.

I can't wait to finally see your Ogre warpers in action.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

scalded schlong posted:

I'm still waiting on a standard stealth stabberman run. I've read the last thread start to finish and I've learned a great deal, but nobody has really done this in any straightforward way yet. (Read: I haven't learned enough from others to not die horribly every time I try to do it)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Flython posted:

Is there some way to get the April Fools day nostalgia build? I'd love to see someone give it a run through.

The April Fools nostalgia build is available on CSZO for play under the Experimental branches.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Speak for yourself. Demigods are actually a lot more interesting than you'd think from looking at them on paper.

Poulpe posted:

I'm still waiting on a standard stealth stabberman run. I've read the last thread start to finish and I've learned a great deal, but nobody has really done this in any straightforward way yet. (Read: I haven't learned enough from others to not die horribly every time I try to do it)

Are you trying to do it as an Enchanter or an Assassin?

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

Someone Awful! posted:

I'm absolutely planning to do a Spriggan -- probably enchanter, probably of Ashenzari (did someone do Ash already?) or Nemelex (same question? I guess I'll check my dang self). I'd consider Kiku but I don't want to step on UncertainKitten's toes and she'd probably do a way better job of it than I would anyway.

I would definitely like to show off Kikubaaqudgha and the Necronomicon spells, especially since a felid gets a lot of use out of necromewtation which other races get...less out of (though it isn't bad). No one's really done a Nemelex run though, and he is also REALLY COOL to show off, so if you can make Spriggen of Nemmy work, that would be cool to see.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG

LordSloth posted:

RichardGamingo: If you want a slot, I have two questions to ask you.

Do you want an active slot or a signup slot?

Do you want an ogre assassin or a another character?

The following WAS NOT an explicit rule in the previous thread but merely a coincidence that I wish to make official.

When a player's slot comes up in the rotation as active, they need a 'declaration of intent'. I will be flexible on this and be open to discussing other goals (speedrun, sprint, other), but the automatically accepted form will consist of at least two of the following: God, Class, Race. Certain conducts may also be acceptable, self-imposed challenges, sprint runs, speed runs, etc.
e.g. Felid Necromancer, Hill Orc of Vehumet, Fire Elementalist of Dithmenos. Of course, Merfolk Ice Elementalist of Okawaru will also be viable. Abandoning one god for another is allowable.

Once your run starts, you're expected to stick to that declaration until you give up or reach Lair, at which point you either die (and you leave the rotation) or you win, and have the option of continuing your streak.

This rule will also apply to screenshot LPs for the near future.

RichardGamingo and thread in general: any objections?

I plan to continue posting my series with OgAr, there are quite a few more episodes. Tomorrow I will post dungeon lvl 1 of the FINAL OGAR!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

code:
Your Hell Sentinel gestures at the skeletal warrior.
The iron shot misses the skeletal warrior.
The iron shot hits you!
Wellp. This is what I get forgetting that Hell Sentinels have an inaccurate attack.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Previously, I converted to Jiyva. Then I got abyssed. And half of this update was screenshotted two weeks ago so I only vaguely remember what I was thinking. I blame tournament. (I was 189th place, but one of only seven people who got the Brute Force III banner. Worth it.)

Orc Jesus 10: The Abyss is a Walk in the Park

Lucy's here to greet me. No I'm not switching to Lugonu. Even if I had a reason to switch beyond getting out of here slightly easier, Jiyva's wrath is painful. Jiyva can punish you with bad muts(that bypass all non-Zin forms of mutation resistance!), turning you into bat/spider/statue form against your will, slimifying a hostile monster in view, and summoning slimes/eyeballs/etc at you. Also, all of your slimes abandon you. And if you've been Jiyva for more than 2 seconds, that's a lot of jellies.

I'm not sure what's up with this abyss, but there are trees everywhere. It's kind of relaxing, actually.

I decide not to go deeper. I don't feel like getting the rune, I just want out of here.

A few things to note about the Abyss as a jiyva worshipper:
-You can actually get loot before things eat it, thanks to the abyss map constantly shifting. You won't have a massive jelly army, since any jellies you do get will be swiftly swallowed up by the map changes & very few things in the abyss count as slimes. This brain does, for some reason.
-If you're here a while the lack of jelly loot-eating could pose a piety problem. Remember that you can summon a jelly yourself, and drop items to feed it! I make use of this later, for non-piety related reasons.

Of course this vault just had an empty archway. Of course.

Your daily reminder that evocables are really, really good.

Angry Beogh will sometimes throw electric weapons at you. They're not very threatening.

There's nothing else new to say about the Abyss, so let's skip to me getting out of here.

And back to the welcoming party! I go back up the stairs, and destroy the dancing weapons without getting abyssed again. Now to never go back to Blade again.

With that done, I head back to Crypt for reasons I no longer remember. I think I was trying to stall out Beogh wrath some more.

Sojobo and his gang are still lurking around, but I avoid Sojobo himself.

quote:

95980 | Crypt:1 | Killed Sojobo

quote:

Vanquished Creatures (others)
Sojobo (Crypt:1)
Although I didn't need to, because it seems like a jelly killed Sojobo without me noticing? It sure as hell wasn't me; I would have screenshotted that poo poo.

Naturally, it turns out that this floor was packed with uniques(remember that Mennas was here too, back when I was a proper orc jesus). Frederick dies with minimial fuss.

Xtahua was hanging around the Wizlab area. I guess the wizlab was never meant to be, even if I had evaded Sojobo and kept going for the portal way back when. :(

Signs your character is in trouble: Xtahua gives you trouble. Okay, the jiangshi softening me up beforehand didn't help(and actually did most of the damage), but still.

I do manage to beat both of them, but when I'm resting up, the unthinkable happens.

RIP beak. You were too good for this world.

That's 5 uniques on this floor so far. 3 of which were basically bags of free XP, 2 of which were loving Sojobo and Mennas. Sometimes you get the feeling the game really doesn't want you on a certain floor.

Margery dies, and so does her entourage.

Fun fact of the day: ugly things have skeletons.

I finally make it to crypt 2. Jiyva hasn't been too bad about my stats, although I'm not a big caster so my stats don't matter quite as much.

Curse skulls are still motherfuckers, but I was lucky enough to be able to close in on this one quickly.

Here's what I'm assuming is a new mechanic, since I didn't see it before this play session, and I saw it a lot once I started seeing it. I don't know if this wrath-aversion actually reduces the penance counter, or if it just lets you stall out the wrath a bit as you heal.

It doesn't help much because Beogh drops some orcs on me a few turns later. :v:

State of the mutations. Somehow, Jiyva has managed to give me a more boring mut set than when I just eat the purple a lot. The tendrils are still rad as hell, but as with anything Jiyva, don't get used to them staying around. (The tendrils can disarm enemies in melee, in case you forgot)

Crypt 2 was fairly uneventful. Onward!

Crawl used Rock Tomb! It's not very effective. I'm not even sorry

I'm not planning on going into Tomb this run, since this orc seems too squishy for extended. Trunk tomb apparently saw some changes, so there are actual subvaults and such, but I still don't feel like going there.

Hey, it's Wiglaf! This is a bad spot to encounter...well, any enemy in. Plague shamblers can make you retch(which stops you from drinking potions) and sick(which stops natural HP regen), and of course I've got both of those effects now. Luckily, the miasma that pours from their corpses does bad things to anything that tries to follow you.

I was actually banking on Wiglaf refusing to go through the miasma, but this works too.

Despite the vicious ranged attacks, I managed to beat Wiglaf and the skeletons. He's tough, don't get me wrong - I'm at 94 HP by the end of the fight - but he's manageable. Sadly, he still doesn't drop his hat. :(

On Crypt 4, Ancient Champions ain't nothing to gently caress with. gently caress drain. Especially gently caress red drain. They should have kept Restore Abilities' drain curing effect, since then at least those potions would be good for something.

I made it back upstairs to heal, so of course I get a lich dropping fiends on me. Thank god for summon changes.

Beogh decides to join the party before I head back downstairs. He clearly has no problem including ogres and trolls in his orcish armies, so why can't beogh players recruit them?

Once I'm back on Crypt 4, it goes fairly uneventfully.

which means it's time for Crypt 5!

Somewhat alarmingly, I'm actually hungry. And I dropped all my permafood because JIYVA BASICALLY KEEPS YOU ENGORGED ALL THE TIME, AMIRITE? :smug:

I make an executive decision to go back to Vaults so I don't starve to death.

Exhibit A for why you shouldn't listen to me as a spectator: I somehow managed to hit Starving as a Jiyva worshipper. I actually dropped one of my steel javs to tide me over while my jellies founds things to eat.

Luckily, there is still plenty of loot for my jellies to eat, but it takes a long time to get my hunger back up. Each sacrifice has a chance of giving you the nutrition of a sultana. One sultana. Yyyyyup.

This should be enough to unleash my jellies on the loot before I starve again. RIP loot.

Beogh is still pissy. He's still angry even in the parts I've played but not posted yet. Dude's angry forever, I swear.

Plan RIP Loot is a success, and I get some free resistances for my trouble. Also wild magic. I swear I always get wild magic.

Rude. I've barely made it into the first big room, but my jellies have gotten further. Basically the only loot left will be artifacts. Why did I do this again? What was two week ago me thinking?

The warrior had a fancy ring on, so I do a bad idea. Don't try this at home. Or ever.

At this point, I saved and quit for the night. Then the tournament happened. Keep this in mind as you read further.

** Two weeks later**

Coming back to crawl after a long break is kind of like waking up from a drunken stupor, except you wake up with strange rings on your fingers instead of strange people in your bed.

(Fun semi-related fact: Trunk has recently updated so all jewelery wear-IDs. It's handy, except wear-id artifact jewelery is still a good way to get contaminated.)

And then you have to chop a weapon into bits.

All while angry ex-gods send dudes to kill you.

One of them is named Jorge, because Beogh strikes where it hurts the most. :smith:

Oh. Uh, hi there. The Sword of the Doom Knight:
-Has a :black101: name
-Has the effects listed by the game, and no bonus effects.
-Hurts like hell. I don't know if it's actually any good for player - the pain brand needs necro skill, but the -cast means you can't use your magic while wielding it.

Luckily, something relatively squishy picked it up. I murder the ghoul, confiscate the sword, and move on with my day.

Lose half your HP. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 gold.

Jiyva worshippers actually have a really, really good way to deal with ancient liches. Sadly, I didn't realize what that was at the time, so I teleport away in a panic.

I pick this as my hiding spot. poo poo keeps interrupting me, so it takes a long time to get healed back up to full.

It doesn't help that I have to deal with this vampire, who has no object permanence.

The door shenanigans end when the door creaks. Probably for the best, since spamming door closures gets old fast.

The lich is back, but this time we have a plan. Full credit to SomeoneAwful for suggesting it. (In case you're wondering where the door went: A jelly ate it.)

:toot:

Sadly, that was it for crypt. Jellies ate all the mundane loot, and my artifact loot was the Doom Sword & two rings. Rings that I can't ID, since I had no ID scrolls and the jewelery ID change hadn't been implemented yet.

Jiyva also decided that I didn't really need all those resists, and made me distressingly furry instead. So, where do my spectators tell me to go next?

This can't backfire at all.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Next episode: This backfires.

Also, the beak is gone. :ohdear:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Great update! Doom Knight is actually very useful for most people who can use it (it's a +13 greatsword) and even better with Necromancy. -Cast just means you hit ' before casting things, weapon swaps are fast.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I'm a hero to somebody. :unsmith: Also going to the abyss was an amazing idea, I stand by it.

If it makes you feel better, I very nearly starved to death once as a SpEn of Jiyva. I think I was midway through Crypt, and I, too, had fed my bread rations to the slimes ("ha ha ha, no more thinking about nutrition for me!!!"). The literal only source of food was a shop all the way in Shoals:3, in the middle of the water. I actually made it, somehow, but I felt like a complete moron the entire time. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Beak :gonk:

• Locked thread