Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

SirSamVimes posted:

Why did you rebrand the whip instead of gaining a branded flail? :psyduck:

Uh, I don't recall Indiana Jones using a flail :colbert:

Yay Kiku run, and a Naga to boot :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Because I was hoping for electrocution, OBVIOUSLY

Freezing isn't as good as that but its probably a marginally better brand than flaming overall. Particularly since most of the things in this part of the game that resist cold can be whacked with dispel undead.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Damage with slicing/flaming/freezing etc. are all dependent on how much damage the weapon is initially doing, though. Seems like a pretty big gamble to try for the one brand that would be better on the whip while everything else would be stronger on the flail.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
You have good presentation and timing in your screenshots and explanations shark, I'm enjoying it.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

SirSamVimes posted:

Why did you rebrand the whip instead of gaining a branded flail? :psyduck:

Nevermind this!

Is that not a magical morningstar on the floor? I'm not sure if your weirdo offline tiles are different but if so that's an immediate upgrade :catstare:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Could've been cursed and -1 or something like that, to be fair.

vvvYeah branding scroll made me get all c'mon man

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 4, 2015

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

pathetic little tramp posted:

Could've been cursed and -1 or something like that, to be fair
I'm not certain about the math on this, but I think even a -3 morning star is far better than a branded whip. (IIRC +/-3 ~= 1 base damage on one handers?)
The branding scroll not being used on it is just gravy.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Gameplay unrelated question, since I'm very much the kind of guy to play, record and then edit, is there any software or extension I could set up to automatically take screenshots of webtiles? I mean my current plan (unless someone already grabbed SpEN of Gozag) would be to set up OBS to just grab my whole screen, then review it and cut off screenshots of relevant, nonboring parts but that seems really inefficient.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ah yes, doing a LP is like having tileschat on you at all times except they also have the ability to go back and point out everything you should have done. :allears:

Also, get irfanview Maxmaps. You can set it to drag select screenshots every time you hit a hotkey, which is like doing editing in advance.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, get irfanview Maxmaps. You can set it to drag select screenshots every time you hit a hotkey, which is like doing editing in advance.

I tried doing something like that with puush and evernote but I suck at documenting, I'll end up getting way too into playing and forget about documenting entirely.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

IronicDongz posted:

I would not recommend Mummy fighter, at the very least.
My one mummy win was a MuSk which I took to tartarus for my third rune because undead are immune to most of the threats there. There's nothing that makes earlygame not a drag for them but I think that's not a half bad alternative to vaults/slime for a 3rd once you're there.
I was doing melee mummies for a bit because I was sick of splatting mummy casters. I think I've settled on MuCj as (relative) easymode, though - only having one spell school to focus on early helps a lot, and dazzlespray is much better than I gave it credit for.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug

Maxmaps posted:

I mean my current plan (unless someone already grabbed SpEN of Gozag)

I mentioned it, but I splat characters for dumb reasons so regularly that I'm not going to bother posting an LP. (I am chronically unable to run away from poo poo that will kill me dead.)

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Poulpe posted:

Nevermind this!

Is that not a magical morningstar on the floor? I'm not sure if your weirdo offline tiles are different but if so that's an immediate upgrade :catstare:

....huh.

I think I was too distracted by the wights or whatever to notice that. I'll ctrl-f it, although (!!!!spoilers!!!) I have an electrocution branded whip now

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Maxmaps posted:

Gameplay unrelated question, since I'm very much the kind of guy to play, record and then edit, is there any software or extension I could set up to automatically take screenshots of webtiles?

Fraps has a setting that will take screencaps every X seconds. Though depending on how long you play, you may wind up with a metric fuckton of pics to sort through.

(I downloaded DCSS based on this thread and I'm terrible at it.)

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Have you tried a hill orc berserker of trog, queserasera? That's probably the best race/background combo to get a first win with, so long as you stick to the first 3 runes (lair branches and vaults)

Also UPDATE COMIN ATCHA once I upload the pics and stuff

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 5, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Naga Gladiator of Kiku, Episode 2, by Shark Mafia age 10

When last we left our hero, he was before a billowing brigade of bellicose bees, and, beyond the battle, a creepy crypt creaked its curtain call! A deadly dilemma disdains detente as our dashing demihuman dares the diabolic and the dark! This time on... Dungeon Crawl!

So yeah. Bees. Even though this isn't particularly early for killer bees, in numbers they can be surprisingly dangerous, especially if your AC isn't high, and mine isn't. The safest option would be to go back up and take a different staircase. However, my slow naga movespeed means I would probably be sacrificing any chance of finding the ossuary if i did that. Another option would be to read a teleport scroll, but I'm a bit leery of diving into the unknown like that. I'm also a bit low on tp scrolls.

Therefore I decide to fight. But carefully.

I draw half of the bees upstairs and kill them there.

I then heal, go down, kill the rest, and advance towards the suspicious metallic structure I spotted northeast of the stairs.

Could it be? Could I have gotten lucky twice? This isn't the usual block color for ossuary vaults, but could it be? Could it be??

No. It's a TSO vault. How rude.

The ossuary text indicates that I'm quite far from the portal, and beginning to run out of time, so I take a chance and read a teleport scroll. I land on the other side of the stairs I entered from, walk south a bit, and...

Yeah!!!!!!!

This kind of block nearly always indicates an ossuary, much as green water tiles indicate a sewer. Most portals have something like this, except for labyrinths.

This is quite a late ossurary, as late as I've ever seen one. That's a good thing, since my current weapon is freeze-branded, and undead things uniformly resist cold. With my current stats i should be able to force my way through regardless.

In we go.

The layout of this ossuary appears to be two oval-shaped tombs in a larger square space. As I advance through it, I find nothing particularly challenging. Ossuaries can occasionally have fairly tough undead, like wraiths and guardian mummies, as bosses. There's also a rather large layout that has Menkaure as its boss and a huge amount of loot.

In this case I meet only regular mummies and zombies, and find a few small stashes of scrolls and potions.

Human and elf zombies tend to be the toughest regular opponents in ossuaries because their alive versions have relatively high stats, at least when compared to kobolds/orcs/etc. Dying to an elf zombie is kind of embarassing way to go out.

In one of the last stashes I find: another potion of beneficial mutation! Hot dog!

It gives me a poison barb on my tail, a mutation that I believe is exclusive to nagas and draconians. We are well on our way to perfecting the naga genome.

Just outside the ossuary I meet Maurice. Maurice has a wand, but it's a lovely one. He poses no issue, as usual, outside of briefly stealing some of my poo poo.

This ogre screens for his good friend the giant spore. The giant spore obligingly explodes, killing him.

The noise of the explosion attracts a number of enemies, including everyone's favorite bullshit unique, Psyche!

Psyche has a 50% chance of having a dagger of distortion and is therefore cause enough to break out the strongest ranged option I have, a wand of fire I picked up earlier on this floor. Getting banished to the abyss on D:8 is a great way to get murdered. Particularly as a naga.

A few wand zaps and a tomahawk end her before she gets a chance to RNG me.

Psyche's robe proves to be a +2 robe of positive energy. Because of Naga half AC from body armor, leather armor gives the same AC as robes for me. This means that a plus two robe is a nice upgrade from my leather armor, even discounting the rN+.

I also pick up her dagger of possibly-distortion, because it's not a good idea to leave these things lying around.

A little later my evolution mutation kicks in again!

poison cloud breathing is a straight upgrade to naga poison spit. I assume it works roughly like golden dragon poison breath, although as of this writing I have forgotten to test it out. Don't worry, I'll use it in lair to poison some death yaks or something.

I descend to floor 9 and find: Yaks! I don't feel too good about fighting this many yaks without a chokepoint so i go back upstairs, taking one yak with me.

Killing that yak gets me level nine shields, the level at which a regular-sized shield no longer negatively effects weapon attacks or spellcasting. For other normal-sized races (besides centaurs and formicids) this is 15.

I switch my training to a mixture of the heretofore-neglected fighting and dodging skills, and necromancy. Naga stealth aptitude is completely absurd, and really too good not to train, but I delay it for a bit longer. The area where I will absolutely need it high (the abyss) is still quite a ways off.

I then decide to go back down the same staircase, probably a poor decision. All three remaining yaks are there, and I immediately lose a decent chunk of hp.
Luckily, I have a plan.

First, I read one of my scrolls of fear, sending the yaks running. Then I cancel the fear on the nearest yak with a thrown tomahawk.
Then I kill that yak alone. The remaining yaks, deprived of a third of their numbers, are more easily dealt with.

That was pretty slick, me. Thanks, buddy! I try.

A little later on this floor Kiku deigns to give me his second spellbook. Unfortunately I missed out on animate dead, but this book is still valuable for dispel undead. I'll also eventually be memorizing simulacrum, which works very well with the corpses Kiku's ability gives you. At high piety they are often giants, dragons and the like.

Soon after recieving the book I go around a corner and find a hydra right in my face. Welp.

I don't have any any blink or teleportation scrolls, and I really can't be in melee with an 8-head hydra right now. What i do have is one more fear scroll, and that plus liberal wand use is enough to not die.

Shown: a complete lack of escape options. But, soon afterwards I find...

A whip of electrocution that some random orc was carrying. Yeah!!!

The first thing i do with it is descend to D:10 and beat the poo poo out of the first troll I've seen. While I'm doing that, allow me to explain a bit about this brand I've been trying to get, and a bit about kiku also.

Electrocution, unlike freezing, flaming, and vorpal (slicing/chopping/whatever, varies by weapon type) does not use the weapon's base damage to calculate its damage but rather just has a chance of doing some damage whenever you swing the weapon. This means that very fast weapons, like whips, demon whips and quickblades, are the best things to have electroction on.

The only other brand that works like electrocution is the pain brand. Pain's damage variance depends on your level of necromancy skill, with 27 necromancy granting up to 27 bonus damage on each swing, iirc. This means that a necromancer with a pain-enchanted quickblade can inflict some absolutely murderous damage.

The problem with the pain brand, and the reason that I don't want it over the necronomicon for the final Kiku gift, is that it doesnt have any effect on torment-immune monsters, including all undead and demons. This makes it completely useless for the entire extended endgame. A kiku worshipper with no ambitions of getting more than ~5 runes can certainly use it to demolish everything up to that point, though.

A little later on D:10 I find a large shield. I won't use this now because it would just make my spells impossible to cast again, but eventually I'll want to switch to it. Ideally I'd find a large shield with an ego, but those are extremely rare.

The only other thing of note on D:10 is a group of slightly out-of-depth vampire mosquitoes. There are much worse possible OOD monsters than these.

On D:11 I find a bailey. And no bees, this time!

But heading south I find a shitload of elves. This is a very unusual place to find such a quantity of deep elf warriors. In the usual place you find them, the elven halls, they don't pose much of a threat, but at this point in the game they are a very serious problem. And I still don't have any goddamn blinking or tp scrolls.

So I fight them in the chokepoint, as various of their number hang back and shoot arrows like assholes. gently caress elves.

I chug every healing and curing potion I have, and I'm very close to death when the last one falls. gently caress elves.

After healing I move forward and find a deep elf conjurer, an enemy type I never recall having seen before this early in the dungeon. It was very fortunate he didn't come in the first wave with all the warriors.

I was assuming that all these elves were an unusually formidable bailey portal guard, but they weren't. It was just a random elf vault, without any loot. I find the real bailey a little farther east.
Baileys can vary pretty widely in difficulty. Generally they have some sort of weapon gimmick, be it a large, watery room with islands surrounded by deep water and covered in crossbow-wielding orc warriors, or just a series of rooms where everyone has polearms. A few layouts have an orc warlord with an entourage of orc knights, which can be quite a pain.

I recognize this bailey as being one of the easier layouts, a series of four large rooms arranged in a square where a bunch of goblins and other weak enemies throw tomahawks of returning at you, and some gnolls wield halberds of electrocution. Nothing in here is particularly dangerous.

In the final room I find an unidentified red potion. Baileys are about the only place outside ziggurats where you can find potions of experience semi-commonly, so I blind quaff it.

And, yep. Score. My skill trainings get a nice boost, and i also attain level 13, the level where nagas get constriction!

Constriction is awesome. It has a chance of kicking in whenever you melee something, and it deals constant damage, prevents the constricted enemy from moving, and most crucially, greatly lowers their EV. High-EV enemy types get absolutely destroyed by melee nagas becuase of constriction.

While I'm here I also pick up a giant stack of tomahawks of returning for the road. Remember when item weight was a thing? Man, that sucked.

I leave the bailey and wander into a whole bunch of enemies in what is probably the lair entrance vault. And immediately get stared at by a basilisk.
This is a potentially deadly situation. I still don't have any teleportation scrolls, and although a lone basilisk don't really have the damage to kill a petrified adventurer, this crowd may.

But new potion type, potion of cancellation, to the rescue! Potions of cancellation cancel magic effects on you, including petrification. I usually use them to cancel vault sentinel marks in vaults because gently caress that poo poo.

I then retreat into the hallway and systematically kill the whole crowd of dudes via electro-whipping. Returning to the room I find the staircase to the Lair, but I'm not going to head in there just yet.

Dungeon:11 continues to deliver with a rF+ ring and a rod of a swarm. Rod of the swarm isn't particularly good even at high evocations because the bugs it summons never get better, just more numerous, but it is a nice way to make some blockers in a pinch.

D:12 has a large vault full of orcs. It's a long shot, but I think this MIGHT be where the orcish mines staircase is.

I back around the corner because being in sight of that many smite guys is not a good decision for your long-term, or short-term, health.

Once the priests are gone I clean up the chaff, and voila! Orc. Also not a place I'm going right now. Generally I don't touch it until I'm completely done with lair.

D:12 has nothing much else of interest. In D:13 I find two of a very unpleasant enemy type, kobold demonologists. They summon a mix of imps and midtier demons, including smoke demons (ugh) and neqoxecs (UGH). Also they have urug blocking for them.

Seriously look at this poo poo

Fortunately I manage to kill them and poof the demons before the neqoxec decides to gently caress with my excellent mutations.

On D:14 I find josephine, and her posse of undead things. Hey josephine guess what

hahahahaHAHAHA

good work new friends

evolution happens again at this point. RIght here, right now, you might say.

More powerful, harder-to-cast spells pose some difficulty for me in the short term, but I think long term they'll be a good thing. Rank 9 necromancy spells will be pretty tough to cast but will be even more ridiculous.

Nessos. Nessos is the worst. Having a shield provides some protection against his bullshit fire-AND-poison-branded arrows, and it's needed, since it takes me quite a while to get over to him.

Fortunately he decides he's cool with being constricted long enough for me to drain most of his hp, and then...

A zap from a wand finishes him. That guy is seriously one of the worst uniques in the midgame, I think. He usually blinks way more.

Then I'm forced to put down my hydra skeleton buddy from earlier. Goodbye old friend

This is some old yeller poo poo right here

Also on D:14 is the vaults entrance, and some formerly-floating longswords.

Since I seem to be on a roll I decide to descend to D:15 and at least scope out the depths entrance. This is very unusual; more commonly something on D:13 or D:14 sends me scurrying back to start Lair. Perhaps this is the power of the naga, or more likely the power of the whip of electrocution.

The depths portal is guarded by a wolf spider, a giant orange brain and a few slime creatures, nothing serious.

No way I'm heading in there now, of course. Depths is frequently terrifying even to a character that's finished the first two lair branches. But it's cool and promising that I was able to clear down to it.

I'm out of dungeon floors and in sore need of a stash, so it's time for some animal abuse.

NEXT: the dank and evil pit housing a thousand creatures, terrible, ferocious and wild... That most perilous and marvelous of adventures, the fabled and fearsome LAIR OF BEASTS!

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 5, 2015

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Something to do with the whip branded with "winning everything up to and including lair branches" yes. Also the potion of experience.

Also rods of the swarm are devastating earlygame. Killer bees, wasps and hornets on demand? Yes please.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Is Twisted Resurrection worth playing around with? I never been able to get it to work very well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm assuming this is 0.15? Because that's the version monsters stopped picking up items you've seen, so there's no need to lug around distortion weapons and the like.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I'm assuming this is 0.15? Because that's the version monsters stopped picking up items you've seen, so there's no need to lug around distortion weapons and the like.

By "lug around" you mean "throw into deep water/lava", right?

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Is Twisted Resurrection worth playing around with? I never been able to get it to work very well.

More trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. Permanent minions are nice but it takes a lot of effort and/or piety to assemble large abominations, and once you have them they aren't that amazing. They're really stupid and not all that durable.

Necromancy doesn't have any other way to make permanent minions but its three methods of making non-permanent ones (animate dead, simulacrum, haunt) are all way better. I'm also a fan of control undead which is situational but many of the situations where you get to use it can be pretty great. By the way, I believe twisted resurrection is getting removed in .16

Also oh, I didn't know that about .15. I didn't mention it in the post but i dropped the distortion dagger in the bailey before I left.

Shark Mafia fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 5, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm working on getting my first rune in probably 6+ months right now, with a solid MiFi of Ru running around spider right now.

http://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-MrDespairSA

Come watch me die right as as I see it!

e. done for the night!

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 8, 2015

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

Hey did y'all realize how much loving work this poo poo is? I didn't, until I tried it

update #3 coming soonish

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Shark Mafia posted:

Hey did y'all realize how much loving work this poo poo is? I didn't, until I tried it

Welcome to making SSLPs. :v: Having Fraps has made my life a lot easier in that regard, but it still takes forever.

Still enjoying people showing off this game, by the way. I'm not sure what it is about roguelikes, but I'm always happy to see LPs for them pop up. (I can't really tell what the hell is going on in most ASCII ones though, which is another reason I like DCSS and its nice tiles.)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shark Mafia posted:

update #3 coming soonish

From one Crawl LPer to another, the work is acknowledged and appreciated.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

[17:47] <Sizzell> Watch Atomikkrab at: https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Atomikkrab

A Troll vs a Zig, using melee and cheilee!

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 9, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

[17:47] <Sizzell> Watch Atomikkrab at: https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Atomikkrab

A Troll vs a Zig, using melee and cheilee!

Victorious, the zig was delicious and I ate Cerebov for Dessert.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
http://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-DeeEhm

Going to Zot for the first time! Help me not screw this up!

EDIT: I HAVE MY FIRST WIN!

Dee Ehm fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 9, 2015

Verklemptomaniac
Apr 23, 2008
Has anyone noticed that the drop rate for helmets seems to have vastly increased in recent builds? Back in 0.14 and earlier, I often wouldn't find a helmet or any headgear at all until Lair or later. Suddenly, I'm frequently seeing multiple helmets on D1-5... now that I'm primarily playing as a Formicid.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
There's a natural better chance of finding useless items than useful ones. Playing as a formicid will increase helmet spawn rate over the course of a few games just as playing as a kobold will have you noticing more plate armours.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

There's a natural better chance of finding useless items than useful ones. Playing as a formicid will increase helmet spawn rate over the course of a few games just as playing as a kobold will have you noticing more plate armours.

Is this actually true? I've heard people say that Crawl actively screws you by upping generation of unusable items, and I've heard people say it's pure confirmation bias - if you're wearing a +0 Helmet you don't notice the 5th one that's spawned, but if you can't wear a helmet, you notice all of them. I've never seen anyone actually point to the relevant code either way though.

I don't know the code well enough to know where the item generation code is even located, and if I did, I suspect it would be a serious mess to untangle, otherwise I might look into it.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

Not My Leg posted:

Is this actually true? I've heard people say that Crawl actively screws you by upping generation of unusable items, and I've heard people say it's pure confirmation bias - if you're wearing a +0 Helmet you don't notice the 5th one that's spawned, but if you can't wear a helmet, you notice all of them. I've never seen anyone actually point to the relevant code either way though.

I don't know the code well enough to know where the item generation code is even located, and if I did, I suspect it would be a serious mess to untangle, otherwise I might look into it.

I just scanned through relevant-looking parts of the code until I found it, trusting that the code would be reasonably organized, and as I expected, the claim that crawl actively tries to screw you over in item generation is blatantly false. Item quality is based essentially off of depth (to be specific, item_level), and things like armour type are generated without ever looking at your species. Brands and enchantments are actually generated specifically to avoid options made completely useless by the type of item they're on.

Though, interestingly enough, _get_random_armour_type() doesn't ever pick bardings, boots are changed to bardings later by the _try_make_armour_artefact (one_chance_in(10) for artefact boots to become a coinflip between naga and centaur barding) or by _generate_armour_item() itself (one_chance_in(8) for normal boots to become naga barding, then if they don't one_chance_in(7) for them to become centaur barding).

The file I'm looking at, by the way, is https://gitorious.org/crawl/crawl/source/0c497fb7aa570c3b7f8e8ed6e45a90a812e7e7a8:crawl-ref/source/makeitem.cc .

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Not My Leg posted:

I'd only heard that in reference to Xom, who would occasionally decide to give you 'a useless item' - either because you actually can't use it or because it's enormously trivial, such as the legendary choko (god gift) (RIP chokos).

I don't know if even Xom is weighted that way, though, or if he just picks completely at random and so will occasionally throw up a real stinker of a god gift.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
That's weird, I know i've seen bits of code that use a USELESS_ITEM object that is used to pad things out, maybe that's an old version or something from a sprint or something?

vvvAh that makes much more sense

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 9, 2015

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008

That's weird, I know i've seen bits of code that use a USELESS_ITEM object that is used to pad things out, maybe that's an old version or something from a sprint or something?

That's probably available to vault designers (and xom), the normal items() function is for ordinary randomly generated items.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

[18:02] <Sizzell> Watch Atomikkrab at: https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Atomikkrab

Come watch me go for more pan runes tonight.

2/5 pan runes get.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2015

Rocky1
Dec 24, 2004
Morand bought me this account to forever remind me that I am his bitch. Also, I will NEVER change this title.
Come watch me? Come watch me!

HUBRIS! (dead)

Rocky1 fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 14, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - A Spriggan Enchanter adventure.

Hi! I’m Maxmaps. I play way too much DCSS for it to be healthy, and thus I figured I might as well let people see me do it.

This LP’s purpose is about showcasing Gozag, the God of Greed. We’ll look into him as we do this LP, but there’s something you should know in advance: Gozag blesses you with the Golden Touch upon joining him. This means every creature you kill that would leave a corpse ends up turned into a pile of gold instead.

Gozag lets you create stores in the dungeon, so you could just request a permafood store to make up for that, but this incurs in an opportunity cost as each food store you ask for is one less store that you could have requested to improve your character, as Gozag only provides items that your current character can use. Thus, we will be playing a Spriggan, as their slow metabolisms and bonus nutrition from veggie based food will let us call for more food stores.

The enchanter background works great for a Spriggan, as you want to avoid melee combat at all costs, plus I find landing stabs incredibly rewarding.

Chapter One - Finding Go(l)d

I am a Spriggan! A small magical being, kinda weird and adorable. I have very little hp, am small and can wear only very specific equipment due to it, but am also incredibly, ridiculously fast. My skill plan is to get my bread and butter hexes castable asap, then pump spellcasting to make them hungerfree. Remember, we want to mitigate hunger so we can have more non-food stores from Uncle Gozag.

This is my starter spellbook. It comes with Corona, which increases my chances to land hits on any targets I throw it at. I don’t really care for Corona as a Spriggan, same goes for Sure Blade, as both would encourage me fighting hand to hand, which I don’t ever want to happen. Confuse, Ensorcelled Hibernation, Dazzling Spray and Enslavement I absolutely want, as they all provide chances to land stabs, which is my main offensive capacity.

A cloak! Spriggans can wear them, the bonus AC is fantastic. Lets play a game! How many screenshots will you see before I actually remember to put it on? Hint: A lot.

First close call, that chunk of HP I’m missing is from a single dagger hit. Thats how little HP I have. I put the kobold to sleep, stab it, then do the same to his friends.

Jewelry in D2! Poison resistance is very, very useful earlygame. Particularly if you started with single digit hp values.

And orc pack welcomes me to D3. Thankfully, I am so ridiculously fast I just run circles around them, throwing Confusion at them then running in for stabs.

A fort in D3? Earliest I have seen ever, I believe. The earlier you find a fort, the weaker the creatures inside. Still, I don’t wanna get mobbed, so I forbid the entrance and keep exploring.

I find several more orc packs, including one with some wizards who magic dart me to near death then haste themselves. Today I learned that a Spriggan is faster than a hasted orc. I run to safety, regenerate and come back for my kills.

Hounds, as all canids in the game, are also ridiculously fast and thus a danger to Spriggans. They can be easily confused and stabbed, though.

Done exploring, I find the gates to the fort wide open! A kobold fort? Makes sense, considering the depth.

The fort ends up being horrifying for my level. Gnolls with enchanted spears, Big Kobolds eager to chew my face off, and swarm upon swarm of regular kobolds descend upon me. I must have run out of that place at least five times, it was close call central. And yet… I found nothing of value inside of it, besides quite a few experience points.

Thus, I headed down to D4.

A phantom welcomes me to D4. It can be confused, but that’s about it. As an undead, it is immune to hibernation. They also hit a bit harder than I am comfortable with and blink around everywhere. How does one stab a an ethereal being with a regular dagger? Just repeat to yourself, 'It's just a game, I should really just relax.

Autoexplore lands me next to an ogre, which I confuse immediately. This is a good point to talk about the diferences in crowd control! Ensorcelled Hibernation is the strongest version of it. Putting an enemy to sleep allows you to land massively powerful stabs, capable of just about annihilating whatever you catch sleeping.

Dazzling Spray will do decent damage and blind an enemy, deeply reducing its melee accuracy, but that’s it. DS comes as a cone effect and can hit several targets, opening them up for minor stabs while blinded, but it wears off rather quickly.

Enslave turns a creature to fight for you. This can turn a scary enemy into a great ally, and afterwards you can land strong stabs on them. Enslave is also great to have, as it works on things that resist your other crowd controls.

And finally we have confuse. Confuse randomizes the actionsof your enemies and allows you to land stabs. What that means is that if a confused ogre gets just lucky enough while you try and stab it, it can easily take you out with just one swing. This one, however, got stabbed to death.

D4 gives me a Temple! It’s full of altars for all sorts of gods, so I cross my fingers and dive in.

It ends up being a scary lava type Temple, but it doesn’t matter, as we’ve found Gozag’s greedy shrine. So opulent!

Uncle Goz requires payment to join, and we happily shell out. It’s an investment, you see?

We immediately get access to our set of god abilities, including a free cast of Potion Petition. PP provides you with a choice between several combinations of beneficial potions that you will be infused with upon accepting the charge. It used to include the effects of a Potion of Porridge in every combination, but since those got removed I actually have no idea whether it does or not.

Call Merchant does what it says on the tin, it funds a merchant a floor or two deeper than your location, and Bribe Branch will pay off several sentient inhabitants of the branch it is casted on, making some of them fight for you and overall greatly diminishing the threat that branch presents.

The next floor provides an excellent chance to show off Gozag’s passive skills. Gozag will reveal all the gold and stores in a level upon entering, great for finding hidden vaults! Also, every time you kill a monster that could drop a corpse, it will drop a pile of shimmering gold.

This gold is special, as the magical shimmers it produces will enthrall adjacent creatures and keep them from attacking you, those working as a small defense source.

Blork the Orc! The killer in suspenders, a unique orc. He hastes himself, rushes us, gets put to sleep and is stabbed to death.

I run across a glowing dagger and equip it immediately. It’s a +2 dagger of poison! Poison is fantastic for an enchanter’s weapon, as landing a stab with a poison weapon will inflict more poison damage to your unexpecting target.

Blork let me get my spells to hungerless, so I started pumping stealth and short blades. Then I run into Sigmund, the newbie slayer. Thankfully, a couple confusions and a hit or two from a poison dagger and Sigmund simply served as an increase to my skills.

Wights! Well armed ones to boot! Thankfully, these undead nightmares can be confused. After a couple casts they tear eachother apart, leaving me to deal with the victor and avoiding any hits from that Dire Flail.

A goliath beetle welcomes me to D6. You can see Gozag’s magic in action, in my minimap. What you can’t see is me running up to that beetle, landing a stab, then watching it melt from the massive amount of poison I left in its scary body.

I found a fixedart amulet! Would be fantastic except for the whole suddenly going berserk. Berserking is very hunger-consumed and is thus ignored. Figured this was a good time for an inventory check as well.

This level has a small forest in it. In said forest, I meet a sky beast. Now, I know what you goons are thinking ‘TIME TO EAT THE PURPLE!’ but Uncle Goz turns all corpses into gold, meaning there will never be any purple for us to eat.

This floor also contains a small Gozag vault with a jewelry store. Generally, Gozag stores just have incredibly overpriced items with not fantastic properties.

...except for this one. Wow. Need to come back at some point. Some very wealthy, later date.

Exploring D6, I run into two really, really scary threats for a Spriggan like myself. The Orc Warrior is a devastating low level melee combatant, and a Centaur is almost as fast as me, but his arrows will happily close that distance for him. The warrior is thankfully easy to confuse, and the Centaur never wakes up.

As soon as I reach D7, I hear an avalanche of sand. An Ossuary. Sadly I have no mapping scrolls, and thus must explore. Rather quickly I find the telltale mustard walls of it, stab a zombie protecting the entrance and dive in.

The Ossuary welcomes us with a pack of slow, angry undead that wake eachother up, allowing for almost no stabs at all. Thankfully, our crazy fast movement speed means that clearing them is just a matter of running in circles, throwing Dazzling Spray after Dazzling Spray at them. That picture depits the aftermath.

Ossuaries are generally homes to treasure, traps and Mummies. Mummies can be confused as all undead and pack a considerable punch. They will also curse your gear upon death.

There were a lot of mummies. I leave the Ossuary with a whole lot of bonus exp, consumables and a sense of a job well done.

Immediately upon leaving the ossuary, I run into an orc pack, by now a trivial challenge. After stabbing them all to death, I get this fantastic message.

Now, lets explain a little more about Gozag’s abilities; you need the listed price in order to use your ability, but upon doing so you will be presented with a list of choices at different prices. The only gold that is consumed is the final payment price for your set of potions or the store you wish to fund.

The costs of all of Gozag’s abilities will increase each time you use that particular one. You will revive a discount if you wear an Amulet of faith will reduce the cost of all powers when worn, but upon removal the discount will disappear and be replaced by your prices being even higher than before you wore the amulet.

But, I have 800 gold, so lets call a merchant in!

Well goons, you can’t go back after making a choice and request a different set of stores or potions, you simply have to pick one. Thus, I ask you; Which one should I ask for?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yessss new blood :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Pillbug
Fantastic, gonna love this. Also, you can confuse undead?? :aaaaa:

Antiques usually means artifacts, right? Go for that.

• Locked thread