Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Nice update ZeeToo!

Quick question- why are you not making gratuitous use of your Rod of Lightning? In my experience rods are easily more powerful than anything in your arsenal well into the mid/lategame, and they charge so absurdly quickly it's best to burn them early in an encounter to turn the fight in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Poulpe posted:

Nice update ZeeToo!

Quick question- why are you not making gratuitous use of your Rod of Lightning? In my experience rods are easily more powerful than anything in your arsenal well into the mid/lategame, and they charge so absurdly quickly it's best to burn them early in an encounter to turn the fight in your favor.

Mix of things, actually. One is that I love ignition, and that rod actually has a higher recharge rate. Second, when I was using my rods I mostly had situations where ignition made more sense to use first, and my food clock discouraged using both; my evo still isn't that great and so they're very hungering. Third, I didn't judge it notable but the lightning rod got cursed by a mummy death for a while and I didn't uncurse it until I had something else to uncurse as well: a dex-2 ring, I believe?

Of course, don't discount "ZeeToo is not playing well" options, either. :v: I have a real tendency to get my tengus killed somewhere between here and mid-Vaults just by taking something too casually.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ZeeToo posted:

Danger! Death yaks are the heavy hitters of Lair. They always travel in packs, hit hard, and have way too much endurance. I don't want to mess with a whole pack here. So far, though, it's just the one. I fly, then try a few times to enslave the one I can see, but it shrugs off my attempt. I'm not very good with devices yet. Well, okay, back to the stairs with my new non-friend in tow.

Death yaks are actually quite magic resistant. (As their description notes.) They have more MR than a fire giant! It's possible to enslave them, but you need quite a lot of skill, and a good bit of luck, too.

Also, worth noting that labyrinths got shrunk a little bit around the time the non-minotaur monsters were added. It's hard to get lost for quite as long as you could before, which is nice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZeeToo posted:

Mix of things, actually. One is that I love ignition, and that rod actually has a higher recharge rate. Second, when I was using my rods I mostly had situations where ignition made more sense to use first, and my food clock discouraged using both; my evo still isn't that great and so they're very hungering. Third, I didn't judge it notable but the lightning rod got cursed by a mummy death for a while and I didn't uncurse it until I had something else to uncurse as well: a dex-2 ring, I believe?

Of course, don't discount "ZeeToo is not playing well" options, either. :v: I have a real tendency to get my tengus killed somewhere between here and mid-Vaults just by taking something too casually.

Lightning rods have a lot less hunger cost associated with them than rods of ignition, because they only use a level 2 spell, and if you evoke them in consecutive rounds to make narrow arcs their damage spikes really considerably. Lightning rods become (essentially) hunger-free at just 9 Evocations (technically they hit the minimum, which is 5 hunger, which is not an issue) and in narrow arcs (2-3 spaces wide at the far end, 4 is OK) just melt small groups; they're my favourite thing to have to clear the Orcish Mines with. It also doesn't miss when it's in arc mode, though I think the initial 2-MP shot can.

Ignition uses a level 6 spell and is both much harder to use at a high power level and will always cost food, though not very much once you start working on evocations some more. It also can't fan out like a lightning rod because it's always an exploding beam, requires you to hit with the beam, and does fire damage instead of electricity (which more things resist).

Of the two, if I could only have one, it would usually be the lightning rod, though I'd rather have both. I also tend to play Evocations-heavy melee characters, though, so your valuation might be different. I also have yet to win. Soon, I hope.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 29, 2014

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I've 15 runed melee guys with minimal buff magic twice now. I've only now started trying to get pure casters off the ground and can barely get to Lair without splatting over and over. It's like learning the game all over again.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ZeeToo posted:

Given that this doesn't interfere with my 'floating' resistance, rElec (which has only one level) is not my best pick, and the AC isn't all that compelling. With the choice between Fire and Ice, I settle on Fire, because I know and fear some late-game fire enemies. Ice doesn't have the same terror, now that there's no more ice cave to be faced.

Good update, this is around where I start losing the idea of what to do with my conjurers, so I'll be interested to see how it goes. On the Qazlal resist, I usually do the same as you and go rF+, but I wonder if rC+ isn't a better choice on an armored caster. Depending on just how you want to balance armored v. caster, Fire Dragon Armor seems like a pretty common goal for hybrids (it's good armor, not crippling encumbrance, and much more certain to exist than Faerie or Pearl). Qaz's rC+ fits well with FDA because it offsets the rC-.

On the other hand, Orbs of Fire.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Not My Leg posted:

Good update, this is around where I start losing the idea of what to do with my conjurers, so I'll be interested to see how it goes. On the Qazlal resist, I usually do the same as you and go rF+, but I wonder if rC+ isn't a better choice on an armored caster. Depending on just how you want to balance armored v. caster, Fire Dragon Armor seems like a pretty common goal for hybrids (it's good armor, not crippling encumbrance, and much more certain to exist than Faerie or Pearl). Qaz's rC+ fits well with FDA because it offsets the rC-.

On the other hand, Orbs of Fire.

You don't need rF+++ for orbs of fire. Or anything, really.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

PleasingFungus posted:

Death yaks are actually quite magic resistant. (As their description notes.) They have more MR than a fire giant!
I never realized this. A pile of poor Deep Elves is heaping spite on me.

Shark Mafia
Oct 13, 2009

What orbs of fire need is rmut, unlike nexoquecs/shining eyes etc they can't be bursted down very easily so they're likely to get a malamutate off.

Although since you're going for the win at that point anyway you could probably limp through with a few annoying mutations

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Today's Crawl lesson: while zap-testing wands near giant forests is generally very funny, Dithmengos considers each instance of spreading forest fires to be a new instance of firestarting, and it will make him hate you forever.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Prism posted:

Lightning rods

I did note the level difference, but I didn't take the analysis any further. This is good information, thanks! Believe me, though, I will be showing off the lightning rod as well, barring some hideous death interrupting.

Not My Leg posted:

this is around where I start losing the idea of what to do with my conjurers

I'm not sure Qazlal is the best pick for a conjurer, to be honest. This is straight-up my first try at using Qaz with a caster. Overall, I don't think he's as good a choice as Veh, Sif, or possibly even Okawaru (use Heroism to make hybridizing easier). Definitely fun, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Einander posted:

Today's Crawl lesson: while zap-testing wands near giant forests is generally very funny, Dithmengos considers each instance of spreading forest fires to be a new instance of firestarting, and it will make him hate you forever.

Speaking of Crawl lessons involving wands, don't ever zap a giant spore with a polymorph unless you like Oklob plants.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Wasn't there someone in the last tournament who died by polymorphing Grinder into a hellion?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
The best way to invoke a Polymorph wand is to fly over lava or deep water, and invoke it with the drop button.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I usually keep a Polymorph around as a very last second emergency. As in "I literally have no way out of this and things could not possibly be worse so I may as well roll the dice and see what comes up." type of emergency. The results rarely help, but they're occasionally quite funny.

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010
Polymorph is good for zapping ugly things, they'll change colour with no MR check. Before the corrosion changes I'd zap every brown ugly thing that I couldn't nuke from range. I haven't played enough with new corrosion to decide if it is still worth doing.

I wouldn't have found this on my own, but someone mentioned it in one of the threads. Though the description of the wand does say it is especially effective against shape changing creatures.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Polymorph boggarts and electric eels e'eryday.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I find it's best that when your level 27 is about to expire due to some bad poo poo, just pause while you're on 1 HP, close out, and come back tomorrow. You've in essence already died and the ancient lich that's about to slice your head off is, instead of YASD, simply a formality, a burial of a good character who was just going for the third rune and thought 50 AC, rF+++, rNeg+++, and Clarity was enough. Farewell, ANNIHILATRIXOFDOOMANDDEATH, you should never have put on that damned amulet of Cekugob, rElec just wasn't that important.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'
God drat assassins are so good. My halfling Bilbo Stabbins has been destroying poo poo.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

ZeeToo posted:

I did note the level difference, but I didn't take the analysis any further. This is good information, thanks! Believe me, though, I will be showing off the lightning rod as well, barring some hideous death interrupting.

I'm not sure Qazlal is the best pick for a conjurer, to be honest. This is straight-up my first try at using Qaz with a caster. Overall, I don't think he's as good a choice as Veh, Sif, or possibly even Okawaru (use Heroism to make hybridizing easier). Definitely fun, though.

Probably not, I usually go Ash because she makes hybridizing so much easier.

PleasingFungus posted:

You don't need rF+++ for orbs of fire. Or anything, really.

Anything? What if you plan on using scrolls of immolation to blow up V:5. Then it will let you live long enough to get killed by the entire level swarming you, instead of getting killed by your own explosions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

rF++ is enough for that in my experience.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Last Time...

PART 6: Just Put It On My Tab

The Orcish Mines! Until I hit Orc:4 (or find a unique), the Orcish Mines will suffer from the same boredom-based problem as Lair 1-7, except without even the threat of hydras, and with a small chance of getting completely screwed by a distortion weapon.

I make this Murder Hole more out of preparation than danger; I don't feel like having to stairdance if I end up attracting some horde of orc priests from off-screen.

I don't really end up needing it though.

Although I don't end up needing to take advantage of it, it's good to keep in mind that orc priests count as an evil creature for the purposes of TSO's abilities and piety gain. This is because they worship an evil god, Beogh (because of racism? I don't know).

I clear the rest of what I could see of Orc:1 (nothing else in the small bit of area I haven't revealed yet). The lack of down staircases means that I'm going to have to go up and down a bunch of stairs for these mines in order to find all the gold.

Orc:2 ahoy!

Erica: A wild-tempered adventuress.

Erica's main threat is her spellcasting, and the only spell that I'm worried about is her venom bolt (because I can't block it and, as my health demonstrates, it hurts when you don't have rPois); I have enough MR that she can't confuse me, she can't slow me, I can see her if she goes invisible, and I can block Mystic Blast with my shield.

I quaff a potion of resistance for temporary rPois (since I have plenty spares stashed away) and start to close the distance.

She goes down like a sack of potatoes. For my efforts, I get a hydra-killing weapon, her guaranteed scimitar of flaming!

Dipping back up to Orc:1 via a different staircase.

Level 15! Points go straight into Int.

This bat cave had some vampire bats in it, but I tabbed through them before remembering to screenshot it :shrug:.

Back to Orc:2 via a different staircase!

Finished with Orc:2!

Onto Orc:3!

I spot an orc sorcerer off in the distance. Being a worshipper of TSO means I can just charge head on into it, instead of making a Murder Hole.

It only manages to spawn a ynoxinul as I reach melee range.

And it promptly dies.

Full steam ahead to Orc:4, meaning that I've entered my first branch end!

Branch ends are a Formicid's greatest enemy. Because they are on the bottom floor of the branch, they can no longer self-shaft. This, combined with stasis and the increase in danger that comes normally from branch ends, means that escape options become more limited than normal (coming down to things like god powers, consumables, and unreliable spells). Orc:4 is pretty tame, especially as a tabby fighter like myself, but it is a good introduction on how cautious you should plan on being if you are a Formicid.

And I've already spotted the ending vault!

I pull the orcs I've spotted far away from the vault to avoid waking the whole thing up right away.

Killing them nets me my fifth star of piety with TSO, earning me the Summon Divine Warrior power!

Summon Divine Warrior is the holy version of Trog's Brothers in Arms. When used, it summons either an Angel (distinct feature: fast) or a Daeva (distinct feature: smiting). While they are less powerful than some of the higher tier Trog summons, they have much more sustainability. This is because TSO will bless (any) allies with healing, curing, increased duration, and weapon upgrades as they gets kills; angels and daevas are usually tanky enough to survive and get blessed at least a couple times, meaning they will stick around for a long time.

The downside to Summon Divine Warrior is that it takes a LOT of Invocations to become reliable, meaning that early TSO worshippers usually won't have Summon Divine Warrior usable until somewhere around doing the Lair branches.

Circling around the back of the end vault reveals that there were two entrances!

Murder Hole o'clock!

A couple of the high priests summons get in before the high priest, but I deal with them easily.

Thank TSO there is a warning for this, I would have just tabbed right on through and got penanced.

Sonja: A graceful kobold assassin. Admire her graceful pirouettes, thrill at her daring leaps! But watch out for her knives!

While exploring the rest of the level before taking on the end vault, I run into Sonja! My shield will stop me from getting destroyed by the curare needles, and it appears I have enough MR to resist whatever wand she is zapping, so I take the opportunity to hit her from range before I find out she has distortion.

I hit her with my wand of fireball (due to fireball not checking against her large EV) until it runs empty , but it doesn't make a lot of progress.

However, I get a lucky zap with my wand of fire and take her out!

She turns out to just have a short sword of venom, which is just as well since Sonja can layer on stacks of poison with it extremely quickly. She also had a wand of slowing (:smug:).

The shop turns out to be a special shop: the Off-Brand Ammunition shop! The wares are ammunition with brands that they cannot normally be generated with, which includes large rocks :getin:.

Since I'm out of fireballs and running low on javelins, I pick up the exploding and frost branded large rocks. Exploding ammunition, regardless of size, will only do 2d5 physical damage, but it is still unavoidable, which can make it useful for anything dodgy I come across for a bit. The large rocks of frost behave the same as frost-branded ammunition, with the entirety of the damage being converted to cold damage and increased by 40%.

Of course, I have to drop some junk to get under the weight limit first (weight was removed in trunk, expect this to be a trend).

I finally find some enchanted plate armor! Only an extra point of AC, but the built in rF helps!

I'll probably be clearing Elf for more experience later, but not just yet.

With the rest of the level clear, I start to clear out the end vault. This involves pulling back monsters to my Murder Hole until I feel I've emptied it enough to charge in.

This was not empty enough.

After stepping over the mountain of corpses I left in my Murder Hole, I move in and clear out the remainder of the orcs. Final gold value for shopping: 2558.

First shop, scrolls. Out of these, I pick up fear, magic mapping, and holy word (although I should have picked up fog as well). Holy word is more effective damage wise for good god worshippers, which can make it useful for clearing out screens of nasties.

The second store has Maxwell's patent armor!

This armor is +15 plate mail with a built in cloak of preservation (changed to be rF+ rC+ in Trunk due to the removal of item destruction) and MR+, at the cost of no teleportation (:smug:) and no casting spells. For most other characters, it's a deathtrap waiting to happen. For Formicids who don't cast spells, it's a free 25 AC (+14 increase for me), cloak of preservation (or gold dragon armor with less encumberance in new Trunk) and protection from magic. I might buy it if it turns out there is nothing good in the other two shops.

The third store is armor, and only the artifact scale mail looks interesting.

I buy it and try it on; it has rPois, but is otherwise useless to me. I'll pass.

The fourth shop is some more scrolls. I buy the enchant weapon III to drop off at my stash, as well as the blinking scroll to identify it. I leave the magic mapping there in case something drastic happens to my stash for some reason, so that I can come back for it and use it to map Zot:5 later in an emergency.

With nothing else of interest in the shops, I spring for Maxwell's. The giant boost in AC, as well as my ring of regen, should help me offset the poison in the Spider's Nest without needing rPois. Looks like I won't be worrying about getting any spells castable for a long time.

Back at the stash with my goodies dropped off, here is my inventory:

----------

To finish off clean, let's head to Lair:8!

Oh no it's a pack of death yaks and elephants, whatever will I do with my 33 AC.

:fuckoff:

Looks like today's Lair ending is the Dire Elephant end. Sure would suck if I didn't have tons of defense and a giant battleaxe.

The left side has a normal pack of elephants and no loot.

The right side, along with the treasure chamber, contains the real trap of the Dire Elephant ending: once you kill the anaconda right before the treasure chamber (thanks PleasingFungus!), a bunch of the green dire elephant statues you passed turn into real dire elephants, blocking your escape. For most other characters, this just means you teleport away if you can't handle it. For Formicids, I'm gonna have to kill them all to leave.

The loot chamber itself contains two dire elephants.

Which I drag back a bit and create a Murder Hole to take them on one by one, in order to make sure my shield takes the majority of the hits.

I then start pulling over all the other elephants I released to this corner.

With them all dead, and barely a scratch on me, I head on over to check the loot.

A weird artifact spellbook where I can't use 2/5s of the spells :geno:.

And an artifact amulet that turns out to be an amulet of guardian spirit with some stealth boosts (so just an amulet of guardian spirit for me, the giant light bulb). I throw it on over gourmand, since I only need to eat every once in a while and the only MP I need is for TSO abilities, which I'll only really use at the beginning of battles this early on.

A dire elephant that escaped guards ANOTHER enchant weapon III scroll. I destroy the elephant and thank my luck.

And then I clear the rest of Lair:8 with no issue, with the only other notable loot being a wand of disintegration.

NEXT TIME: Spider's Nest!

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
So I restarted playing crawl again after a long hiatus, and I have four characters in progress that I no longer care about. I've set about the task of splattering them all over the dungeon so I can start fresh, starting with my Troll Monk of Oka.

In the spirit of Haifisch, I did a ctrl+f "mut" and immediately quaffed the mutation potion I found. This was the result:

You are partially covered in large bone plates (AC +2, SH +2).
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.

:catstare:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nagna Zul posted:

So I restarted playing crawl again after a long hiatus, and I have four characters in progress that I no longer care about. I've set about the task of splattering them all over the dungeon so I can start fresh, starting with my Troll Monk of Oka.

In the spirit of Haifisch, I did a ctrl+f "mut" and immediately quaffed the mutation potion I found. This was the result:

You are partially covered in large bone plates (AC +2, SH +2).
Your mind is acute. (Int +2)
You are resistant to hostile enchantments.

:catstare:

Always eat purple.
Always.
No Exceptions. :colbert:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Floodkiller posted:

The right side, along with the treasure chamber, contains the real trap of the Dire Elephant ending: once you get close to the treasure chamber, a bunch of the green dire elephant statues you passed turn into real dire elephants, blocking your escape. For most other characters, this just means you teleport away if you can't handle it. For Formicids, I'm gonna have to kill them all to leave.

Not quite. The trap actually triggers when you kill the anaconda. If you just avoid it, you don't have to fight the elephants!

Of course, anacondas are nearly twice as fast as the player, and constrict for significant damage... but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

e: trivia:

code:
# The anaconda's name is Kaa.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2014

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Floodkiller posted:

I don't really end up needing it though. Although I don't end up needing to take advantage of it, it's good to keep in mind that orc priests count as an evil creature for the purposes of TSO's abilities and piety gain. This is because they worship an evil god, Beogh (because of racism? I don't know).

The reason for TSO's antagonism to Beoghites can't be Beogh's racism, given that TSO is himself racist against demonspawn, vampires, ghouls and mommies.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

The reason for TSO's antagonism to Beoghites can't be Beogh's racism, given that TSO is himself racist against demonspawn, vampires, ghouls and mommies.

Vampire, ghoul, and mummy are lifestyle choices, not races. :colbert:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Smiling Knight posted:

Vampire, ghoul, and mummy are unlifestyle choices, not races. :colbert:

Fixed that for you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

JosephWongKS posted:

The war on women continues, even in roguelikes.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer
Part Seven

Last time, I ran away from a hell of a lot of things, but got innate rF+ out of it. Today... maybe I kill some things. I could go hit up Orc, but I almost arbitrarily pick going back to Lair instead.

The remnants of the sheep flock are still here. Fulminant Prism does them in.

Removed things get replaced by this placeholder tile. Darts are gone from the game, but my ongoing trunk game has some that already generated. Just... not the graphics.

Death yak, round... three-ish? There's no better place to pull back to, so I start here.

Prisms, conjured flame... these guys are annoyingly resilient.

Got one. One. :suicide: Actually, that about does it for the pack. Area of effect has worn down the others, as well.

Time to show off the lightning rod.

First you evoke it once...

...then a second evoking has it 'fan' between its first target and the second.

And so on. It keeps fanning between where you aimed it last turn and this turn.

It's not quite as much fun as a rod that shoots an exploding laser beam, but it's the next best thing. Lightning rods are really awesome.

Spiny Frogs are vulnerable to being slowed by cold attacks. Poor guy got zapped by one of my cold clouds. Qazlal's death aura is really fun.

Catoblepas. Many levels ago, an undead version of this gave me grief and a lot of XP. These guys' gimmick is that they breathe a cloud that makes you turn to stone if you end a turn in it.

Remember how clouds block other clouds from forming? :smug: I'm not sure if I'm immune to the effect of these, but I know that I'm immune to my own and can happily stand in them and just laugh.

Looks like it maybe... is prevented from forming on me?

A second one? These guys are teaming up on me. They're also about death yak tough, so it's a good thing I started out this fight by flying. I'm going to run away for a bit and regenerate MP and get a better battlefield.

There I am, taking advantage of my cloud.

That suggests I am not immune to the petrifying cloud! Good to know.

I missed a screenshot of me pulling out the lightning rod.

drat it, petrifying dust is interrupting my lightning display.

I finished off the catoblepas, anyway.

Well, poo poo, that could have been really bad. I didn't know a Zot trap was there, and the adder stepping on it could have done bad things to me.

Down on Lair 7, I find a blink frog pack.

Mephitic Cloud and Fulminant Prism and Qaz death aura. They do not touch me.

Right about when I'm feeling badass and finishing off another blink frog pack, this seven-headed guy shows up. I fly and flee. I don't want to get in too deep when my MP and rods aren't topped off, but when they are he's no threat.

Another milestone! :toot: Now, instead of spending MP and a turn to fly when I might need the evasion and speed, I just am normally going to be in flight. The only time I'll set down and walk is going to be when there's an enemy that can take advantage of that in ways I don't like. Pretty much this is going to be anything with Airstrike (bonus damage) or guys that can more easily knock me back when I'm flying.

Uh, first I have to wait for my temporary flight to wear off before I can do the permanent one, though.

Conjure Flame works even in water, huh? I didn't expect that to actually work.

A dire elephant! These guys are a step up even from death yaks, and so big that they can wade through deep water. However, they're melee only and normal speed, and I'm fast enough to kite this guy through endless conjured flames and prisms until he dies.

Ah, he had a friend and some loot here.

On to Lair 8. Two rings of intelligence in what looks like a little vault? Huh. They turn out to be +3 and +4.

Then I get my first ID scroll of the play session! Hooray?

Hello there enemy with mutagenic melee attacks.

I love my smite targeted bomb. Also, can you spot what's wrong with this picture?

Yeah, oops. My Qazlal death aura killed the wrong thing, and now the lump can get out. It still dies before it can reach me, but even so, this has destroyed a few plants before that have opened me up to wider enemy attacks. There are some downsides.

That looks like an ant hill.

Approximately thirteen thousand ants later... yup, that's an ant hill. Ants are susceptible to poison, which my mephitic cloud counts as. I alternate meph and fulminant prism to clear the other three-quarters of them out. There's nothing to loot.

Is this the ending vault? I don't recognize it, but I've run out of the rest of the level for it to be in, and I don't think the ants count.

Seems that was the ending to Lair. And here is my loot. Underwhelming in both challenge and reward. It was just a few elephants, blink frogs, and random chaff.

Lair: conquered.

Potions identified: 2.

Remaining potions in inventory, unidentified? 5, of 8 unknown types.

Next time: the End of an Era.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
They took out darts? Why? (Stop taking things! :cry:)

Does Conjure Flame on water mke steam? I used to love killing eels shooting fire-branded things into the water and steaming them for dinner.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FRINGE posted:

They took out darts? Why? (Stop taking things! :cry:)

There was no reason to use darts. Ever. Maybe dispersal darts in a pinch. Stones fill the same "lovely early game projectile" role while also being immune to jellies eating them.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Haifisch posted:

There was no reason to use darts. Ever. Maybe dispersal darts in a pinch. Stones fill the same "lovely early game projectile" role while also being immune to jellies eating them.

Darts were actually worse than stones, having a base damage of 2 instead of 4. (Slings didn't raise that, though sling bullets have a higher base damage yet, of 6. The advantage of slinging stones versus throwing them was just getting to use the launcher.)

So yeah. They were pointless.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
And I guess buffing them would've made one of the other projectiles pointless?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Does Conjure Flame on water mke steam? I used to love killing eels shooting fire-branded things into the water and steaming them for dinner.

It does, IIRC.

One thing that's not necessarily obvious is that fire clouds over water last for a much shorter time than normally - I want to say it's 1/4th the normal duration, but I might be misremembering.

dotchan posted:

And I guess buffing them would've made one of the other projectiles pointless?

A buffed dart is a stone.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

PleasingFungus posted:

A buffed dart is a stone.

Technically a pointy stone is a dart :colbert:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Neruz posted:

Oh geez, here we go again, why don't we just talk about 0.999999=1 and planes on a treadmill in this thread while we're at it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Neruz posted:

Yes, that's why you have to buff out all the pointy bits.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

An Explosive Tale: ZeeToo the Tengu Conjurer
Part Eight

Last time, I cleared Lair, with a really underwhelming ending.

Seriously, what ending is this?

Anyway, once I'm done with Lair, my usual next place to head is Orc, so that'll be where I'm heading next. Orc is a little bit of a step up, because some of the higher-tier orcs either can do nasty things to me or can summon something that does even nastier things, not to mention the occasional knight with a crossbow or the like.

BOMB EVERYTHING.

Tengu conjurer of Qazlal is definitely one of the most dramatic-looking combos. These guys are basically popcorn to me.

I do love Crawl's little flavor bits.

What I do is... loud. I'm basically pulling the entire level in one go, here.

Another shop. I may eventually end up ditching Subtlety for that buckler, just because I'm a bit hard-up for AC, but for the moment, I'll leave this place be, keeping it in mind if I need more MR later.

Another shop. Nothing here catches my eye for now, but it's nice to know where stasis is, at least.

Oh, look, it's Donald. This guy has a massive list of chatting lines he'll spew, complaining about you, your god, the dungeon branch, or just in general. I don't think he has any Qazlal complaints yet, though.

He gets one line in. Then dies to Fulminant Prism.

Nothing else of note happens until O:4.

That is something of note. As in "note, get the hell out of here". Cyclops can chuck boulders at me, and stone giants are a beefy enough melee threat that I'm genuinely concerned.

This is a better stair.

More cyclopes? Is this a cyclopes ending?

I guess it's a giant one, actually. Several cyclopes die, along with an ettin.

When a stone giant gets near, I pop back up the stairs and head down the other one. With any luck, at least one of a) the first set of monsters have wandered off and given me room to breath or b) they heard the second fight and left to go find it has happened.

If it hasn't, I'm writing off Orc 4 for now. These guys are no slouches, and even with my Qazlal shield and RMsl, I'm not anxious to gently caress with large rocks. The third stair is not available from where I'm at.

Just one left. Better. Killing it attracts another ettin, another cylops... branch endings are usually no joke, this Lair aside. I empty my rods into these guys.

I've mostly been relying on spells, but it's worth mentioning that Qazlal's invocations are pretty powerful, too.

"A storm cloud blasts the area with cutting wind!"

Oop, the stone giant is back. I've gotten over my fear of cyclopes and large rocks just by getting a feel for what I can handle, but this guy is a brick. Other staircase, go!

I really think these two might be the last big threat here; they're standing between the staircases here and just getting drawn between them.

Upheaval, Prism, and death cloud aura do their work.

That about wraps it up, so I clean up and check through the shops. I see Eos, but nothing else of value, until...

Hey, identify! :toot:

:suicide:

Whoa, where did that ettin come from? I thought I cleared out the big guys.

Uh. The more exclamation marks, the harder the hit. That was a huge one. Luckily, I can run away after that. Remember, kids, train fighting and get some defense.

Done with Orc, I go back to Dungeon. And find... slime creatures, a troll, and 2 ID. Once I kill them, I pick up my ID.

:smithicide:

But, wait, what's this?

My invocation is my highest skill. I have Qazlal's max-piety title! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least you didn't quaff-ID?

Can you throw potions at enemies to affect them?

• Locked thread