Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I guess undead in DCSS have minds that can be confused rather than being the usual mindless automatons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Neruz posted:

I guess undead in DCSS have minds that can be confused rather than being the usual mindless automatons.

Alternately you disrupt the magic that binds them, which makes them unable to distinguish friend from foe (which they need to do regardless of sentience).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mindless enemies can still be confused because reasons.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Disaster strikes. Going searching for that Antique store, I end up in D9, step on a shadow trap and get gored to death in a hallway by two summoned yak before my TP can go off. :saddowns:

Would it be preferable to start the LP over or should I just play another game, then pick up at D7 with a small update on notable stuff that I found on the way there?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Maxmaps posted:

Disaster strikes. Going searching for that Antique store, I end up in D9, step on a shadow trap and get gored to death in a hallway by two summoned yak before my TP can go off. :saddowns:

Would it be preferable to start the LP over or should I just play another game, then pick up at D7 with a small update on notable stuff that I found on the way there?

Well, it would certainly be preferable to see the YASD in all its glory! I would go for option 2.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 2 - Crawl Hates Me

Well, this is a new Spriggan. This one needed to exist because Shadow Traps sometimes summon yaks in a hallway and sometimes TP scrolls take a few too many turns to activate. Also, the Antique shop had random assorted items. Anyways, we stopped at D7 on that previous Spriggan, this one starts at the same floor!

First off, I take inventory. There wasn’t much of note here besides stabbing Eustachio for a rapier of speed, finding a vampiric dagger I can’t actually afford to use due to the extra hunger it generates. The jewelry is nice, though. No Ossuary this time around but a Sewer was cleared, which provided two curemut potions.

Welcome to D8, says Pikel. He notices me almost immediately, wakes up his slaves and moves to the frontline. Confusion. Stab. Bunch of happy, free slaves. That was kind of scary for a welcome, an enchanted whip on a unique when you have Spriggan HP is not a welcome sight. So I start autoexploring again. Eh, can’t get worse than that, right?

RIGHT!? Cyclops can throw giant rocks that can just about oneshot me, I panic, drink an invis potion I had found and manage a stab. Jesus, this is one nutty D8.

Really. Really nutty D8.

An artifact robe! Barely, that is. Some rN is always welcome.

This is the worst D8 ever. I open one of those doors and stab the longeared bastard.

That elf sets me at 800 gold so I call in a store. I figure armor would be really nice out of those choices, as my evocation skill is nonexistant so gadgets won’t be great, have plenty of food and a general store is always a crapshoot.

D9 is entirely unremarkable, but D10 welcomes me with a ghost. I’m kinda iffy on getting this deep with my current set of spells, I need to find Lair soon. Player ghosts can be confused and stabbed, so this one’s more of a nice sack of exp.

I find the entrance to the Orcish Mines. My next stop after Lair, for sure. I need more Fighting levels before I dare to step into the Mines, Lair may be scary but getting hit by a flurry of smites from orc priests at a low level is not something I want.

And D11, the lowest that the Lair can spawn. And right there, marked gold in my map is my first summoned store.

...This is me assuming that something got changed from Trunk regarding shops only having useful stuff. Steam dragon armor may be useful, but the rest of the store is a complete wash. From now on, I’ll focus on weapons, jewelry, scrolls and potions. Maybe some gadgets if I find something worth raising Evoc for.

Pack of Yaks! These are a little magic resistance but eventually they get stabbed to death mid confusion. These don’t worry me at all, really. Their larger friends, those are horrifying.

Speaking of horrifying, killer bees are as fast as Spriggans and their poison can’t be overlooked. Chokepoints, confusion and crossing your fingers end up working.

The entrance to the Lair at last. I wrap up exploring D11 and dive in immediately. These floors were really scary so I’m looking forward to a place full of soft targets.

And what’s softer than sheep? Dazzling Spray spam gets the job done.

This Lair seems to like packs! I go through all these river rats without a scratch, stab after stab, then putting the last guy to sleep.

L1 was uneventful, so of course Crawl decides that I have to crap my pants as soon as I hit L2. Gastronok is super slow, but getting hit by his Airstrike could end this run really early. I place myself on the stairs up, spam confusion and then carve the slug up. I get a +1 hat out of it.

Clearing L2, I set up a stash. Nothing special. Unused books, wands, staves, scrolls and jewelry. Having taken out Gastronok without as much as breaking a sweat, I have no issues diving into L3.

Okay. Blink frogs. Hit like trucks. Blink around. Nothing I can’t handle with judicious use of Confusion and-

Holy crap I can’t believe I made it back to L2.

I stairdance with the frogs for quite a few turns, then go back to L3, epxloring around I bump into a Black Mamba. These are crazy fast, have a really powerful poison, and are really hard to hit. Thankfully this one is asleep, so I carefully sneak up to it to deliver a deadly stab.

It woke up.

I end up finding the entrance to the Snake Pit, which explains all the snakes. That’s until I walk next to it, it vanishes and reveals itself as a mimic. I guess it had the snakes fooled too.

Exploring lands me in sight of a seven headed hydra. Spriggans are a little faster than hydras, so I spam confusion on it then stab it to death. I’m still using a crappy +2 dagger, by the way.

Spiny frogs. Fast. Strong. Poisonous and a little magic resistant. Thankfully, cold-blooded monsters are vulnerable to Hibernation, so I make it sleep then kill it.

Killer Bee vault. Great for food, not so great for its contents. Thankfully this one has a chokepoint and I have confusion; not pictured, confusing the Queen Bee and having her sting half of her army to death before I stabbed her.

As soon as I’m done, I run into Jumbo here. Elephants are effectively yaks 2.0, a little bit of magic resistance, tons of HP, hit like trucks and with the added benefit of trampling you. It takes a few casts, but I end up confusing and stabbing the small pack of pachyderms I run into.

The next Lair floor gives me this welcome message. I have zero mapping scrolls, so its a race against the clock. I’m not even remotely scared of the Minotaur, but I am scared of not finding the entrance in time.

I end up in a mad dash with a huge amount of spiny frogs, river rats and even a hydra behind me, by the time I find the entrance it is a few turns from closing, but I slide into it just in time.

The Labyrinth has simple rules, find stone walls, then metal walls, then the Minotaur’s vault. The layout shifts slightly every few turns, and your character forgets the map around it with each passing turn. Ashenzari worshippers can easily farm to full piety in this place, but as a Gozag follower, I just want out.

Metal walls means the vault is close.

This is it. Now, the minotaur is generally a formidable opponent. I’ve seen ones spawn with branded executioner’s axes, but even unarmed they pack quite the punch. Here’s the thing, though. I have an invisibility potion and they can’t see invis at all.

Our haul is not particularly impressive, but the resistance robe, buckler and Lightning Rod will come useful in the future.

How will our Spriggan fare in the future? Tune in tomorrow for another episode:

Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 3 - As Luck Would Have It

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So basically with this god you are stuck to finding food in the dungeon and you can't eat the purple?

Interesting to see what goes on here.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You can still at least drink potions of mutation. As a Spriggan, he would have been unable to eat purple anyway due to the race being completely vegetarian.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

You should really lean on that lightning rod at least until vaults. Start pumping evo right away, with +4 apts it will be slaughtering whole packs of enemies in no time.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 3 - As Luck Would Have It

Having defeated the Minotaur, I gather my loot and go back into the Lair. The lightning rod will wreck havoc without much training, but I focus on Fighting first as I feel far too squishy for what may come in the deeper levels of the Lair.

You see, I am coming up to what I call ‘The Enchanter Point’. This is what I call the part of the game by which I may run into enemies who are:

a) Immune or highly resistant to my hexes
b) Far too strong to risk being in melee with
c) High enough level to make stealth entirely unreliable
d) All of the above

Deep Lair, Dungeon, the last 2 floors of Orc, and everything afterwards will have some A, B or C, and more often than not, a whole lot of D. This is where you arrive at the Enchanter Point, where if you don’t have an alternative solution for engagements (branching off into magic, crazy strong evokables, a really solid weapon and melee skills) you end up running out of easy exp sources and effectively lose the game. You can push the point back (good mutations, higher level hexes) but you can’t avoid it.

b

Little after leaving the Labyrinth, I run into the entrance to the Swamp. This Lair ranch is generally not too hard, but running into a thorn hunter as a Spriggan could be incredibly dangerous. Still haven’t found the other branch entrance, since that Snake one was just a mimic. Please note our lovely red and gold robe of resistance. Boon to sneaking, I’m sure.

At this point, player ghosts without high MR are just experience piñatas. It takes a single confuse to stab this one to death. I welcome this, as I really would like to have some more Fighting to make up for my overly squishy frame.

Autoexplore plays a trick on me that were I not a Spriggan would be horrifying. Those are boulder beetles, a type of beetle that rolls itself into a ball and then rolls at you for incredible damage. I sidestep and deal with them but it still got a ‘oh gently caress’ to audibly leave my lips while playing. Had this been a chei character, nothing short of a blink scroll might had saved me.

If I wanted to exemplify the Point in one tile, it would be that. A lone death yak. Incredibly magic resistant. Hits like a truck full of truck parts. Putting it to sleep, enslaving it, confusing it, all of them have really, really low chances of working. A single one like this can be dealt with via kiting, but any more and there’s no choice but to run.

Crawl now shows you your hex chance of success when trying to hex something. This is a welcome departure to their no numbers design philosophy. Not pictured, me going through 3 mana bars in order to get that one to stick. My +2 dagger took three stabs to put him down. Death Yaks are aptly named.

Fire Drakes. They may not have a lot of hp, or hit particularly hard in melee, but they don’t run out of breath and as such can just about spam their flame breath at you if you get unlucky. One pip of resist fire should help, but it still would had been very unpleasant if he woke up. Thankfully he didn’t, I was hopeful that it would be the last scary chance encounter on this floor.

And then it wasn’t. Catoblepas shoot out clouds of calcifying dust that, if you stay long enough within, will start petrifying you and turn you to stone. For high AC characters, a lone Catoblepas may not be too scary, as they don’t hit -that- hard and as such being carelessly petrified won’t usher in certain death. I rely on EV, though, and being petrified strips you of it entirely. Add my low HP to that and being petrified would spell certain and sudden doom. They’re also pretty magic resistant, but as long as I can land a stab while it sleeps, it shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Petrification takes a couple turns to kick in. You can read a teleport scroll in that time and have the rocky-ness set it while you’re hopefully safe. I would have been toast if I had popped up next to literally anything.

Naga in a vault! That can only mean one thing, I have possibly run into the real entrance to the Snake Pit!... This is a horrifying proposition. Nagas have constricting melee attacks which can’t really be tanked by me at all, they also see invisible but Crawl has not been kind enough to gift me with Invisibility (my go-to method of pushing The Point back) so that’s not worrying. Shoals would have been better. Spider too. Oh well, we get what we get.

None of the naga guards wake up before I stab them to death and thus fall to the might of my +2 dagger. Seriously, besides that Vampiric one I have found nothing. I’m even considering the rapier at this point, since finding a Quick Blade (my ideal endgame weapon) without an acquirement scroll needs either insane luck, or a dive into the Elven Halls to either find one at the hall of blades or getting lucky with a Blademaster.

L7 delivers action right away. Calcifying dust can thankfully affect other Monsters. I would move in for stabs but are far too scared, deciding instead to stairdance so I can deal with the little welcoming party. Afterwards, I find two books very close by.

Oh my god, we’re training Hexes again! I can’t possibly overstate how amazing this find is. Cause Fear hits everything in your line of sight with the equivalent of a Scroll of Fear, making it an incredible escape tool. Deflect Missiles will save my rear end against a variety of later game threats. Haste on a Spriggan goes from Best Spell In The Game to putting me dangerously close of being absorbed by the Speed Force. Discord is really strong if I’m noticed by a bunch of hard to dodge enemies, particularly considering as fast as I am, big chance I can still outrun them. Silence can deal with some of the scariest casters in the game… but that’s not what I’m excited about.

Invisibility. My go-to method to push the Point back. You’ll see why. I learn Invisibility immediately and start training Hexes again. A reckoning is coming.

Snorg may look like your average overweight troll, but he can enrage at will, that is assuming you don’t give him a good dose of dagger to the face while he slumbers.

Pack of Death Yaks. I’m not ready yet. I run away.

And straight into a Lindwurm. Think of a fire drake, just stronger, but without wings. I have to eat a few blasts of fire, but once he’s confused he gets chopped up. Autoexplore has just been particularly mean this run.

Particularly mean. Guess I’m on the clock to find the Ice Cave on the last level of the Lair. Thankfully I have a magic mapping scroll this time.

Protected by white imps. Not a single one woke up, and even if I did, rC++ means I’m not really scared of whatever ice beasts, ice demons or simulacra may wait inside the cave, so I jump in right away.

The disorganized tiles tell me this is the actual cave layout. It could be full of ice themed demons, which wouldn't be too scary, but there’s a second, less awesome possibility.

It could be full of high level beasts. This is an uphill battle and an exercise of using corridors correctly. I manage to get invisibility safely castable in the middle of slaughtering polar bears, which makes the rest a breeze.

That is of course unless I run into something that can see invisible, like a Frost Giant. These bastards throw frost at you at range and have a freezing battleaxe to chop you in half if you get close. I get lucky chaincasting confusion on him, get to see him cleave through his animal friends, and eventually clear the Ice Cave. I find nothing of any value, but I don’t mind as getting enough experience to get invisibility to be reliable outweighs it all.

This shows the whole layout of the last Lair level. The asterisk shaped structure in the middle is effectively a collection of small treasure vaults with an assortment of creatures inside of them, with the big one in the middle being generally the most lucrative. I’m intrigued by the structure at the top left as well, as it suggests there being another vault full of valuables at the end of that winding hallway. I also try to not abuse Invisibility too much, as getting it to no hunger would require me to invest far more than I’m okay with in Spellcasting this early in the game.

The vault in the middle has a Fire Dragon Armor, which I -could- wear as a Spriggan, but it’s far too cumbersome and heavy to allow for good sneakyness. Going above Swamp Dragon armor is generally not recommended as a Spriggan, still seeing a hide armor in a Gozag game is pretty nice. Gozag means no corpses, and thus no hides at all. That’s a Guardian Serpent guarding it. They can spit poison and slow you, but thankfully can be chopped down easy even with a cruddy dagger.

The entrance to Slime Pits!... We are so not messing with that in the forseeable future.

Autoexplore; why?

The structure at the left side turns out to be full of all sorts of dogs. All dogs go to heaven (and can see invisible). That Warg there is pretty strong, but its low magic resistance makes it an easy prey for hexes. Wargs are as scary as regular canids get in the game, which isn’t much.

I did say regular canids, right? That’s a hellhound. They’re fast. They hit hard. They breathe fire. They’re not something I like to see at all, and you generally only see them in Hell. I’m liking this vault less and less each passing second, so I may end up having to TP out if things get hairy.

Raiju. What if Hellhounds could turn into living lightning and blink through you, doing heavy electric damage in the process? Had I not got lucky with Confusion, I would have had to TP away. Generally you only see Raiju in the Abyss, and it’s for a good reason.

Oh yes. The moment I’ve been waiting for. Retribution! Yaks may be nearly impossible to hex, but making myself invisible? No defense for that. What follows is a slaughter, and it is lovely. It doesn’t get better than this.

Or it can get better than that! So, all those dogs were being ruled by some sort of Bear oligarchy with a polar bear as king. Would be scarier if I hadn’t carved my way through half a dozen polar bears in the Ice Cave. But that’s not the important part? You see that weapon on the left? A runed quick blade. Quick blades are almost as good as daggers for stabbing, but also pack quite a punch, an incredibly fast one to boot. Even if its cursed and at -2, it’s way worth dumping enchant weapon scrolls into.

HNNNGH.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 24, 2015

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Jesus Christ the next update had better be you splatting yourself on the ground to something stupid or you're on the fast track to murdertown.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hey Maxmaps, is there any way you could crop down or timg some of your larger images? They've the unfortunate effect of making it impossible to read all parts of your posts without scrolling to either side significantly. It's not really that big a deal as it's just a bit of extra effort on my part otherwise.

For the content of the post, Gozag seems cool but what are the real advantages of him? Being able to buy potions and make shops appear? Is bribing things super useful to do in some of the later branches?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Jesus christ a plus ten quickblade; the RNG likes you Maxmaps.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SaffronKit posted:

Hey Maxmaps, is there any way you could crop down or timg some of your larger images? They've the unfortunate effect of making it impossible to read all parts of your posts without scrolling to either side significantly. It's not really that big a deal as it's just a bit of extra effort on my part otherwise.

For the content of the post, Gozag seems cool but what are the real advantages of him? Being able to buy potions and make shops appear? Is bribing things super useful to do in some of the later branches?

Timg'd the largest ones, hoping it still works okay. Gozag's strength is letting you get strong and rare gear early (chaining artifact shops is something I've done), and if you're covered gearwise, calling in consumable shops plus strengthening yourself via the potion service that I have thankfully not needed just yet.

Bribe can be really strong but it's expensive, and like much of DCSS depends on an invisible number. There's no way of knowing how much you have left in your bribe fund in a branch, so you won't know you need a refresher until its painfully obvious. The problem with Gozag is that you can get very unlucky and just roll store after store with gear that isn't great, and then it ends up being a challenge god.

It's nowhere near as bad as if you go for a Xom run on an unlucky day, but it can still mess you up. I wouldn't recommend going past 3 runes with him, as your cash flow gets interrupted when corpses stop dropping and each food shop you summon will cost you more gold than the previous one.

I've been thinking about a gozag mummy run, but mummies are terrible.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
One of these days someone will do a successful mummy run despite their terribleness.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Maxmaps posted:

Timg'd the largest ones, hoping it still works okay.

It all looks great now, really appreciate it! My monitor and I thank you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was just absolutely ridiculous.The RNG must be saving something special for you.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

So assuming you find brand weapon scrolls, what are you going for? Does electrocution cause noise on activation now?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Karia posted:

So assuming you find brand weapon scrolls, what are you going for? Does electrocution cause noise on activation now?

I... Would really like to know this! Vorpal I suppose would be my other choice mostly because gently caress distortion.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Maxmaps posted:

Naga in a vault! That can only mean one thing, I have possibly run into the real entrance to the Snake Pit!... This is a horrifying proposition. Nagas have constricting melee attacks which can’t really be tanked by me at all, they also see invisible but Crawl has not been kind enough to gift me with Invisibility (my go-to method of pushing The Point back) so that’s not worrying. Shoals would have been better. Spider too. Oh well, we get what we get.

Shoals wasn't actually a possibility here. You always get one water themed branch (Swamp/Shoals) and one poison themed branch (Snake/Spider), and you already found Swamp. Still agree that Spider would have been better than Snake.

E:

Maxmaps posted:

I... Would really like to know this! Vorpal I suppose would be my other choice mostly because gently caress distortion.

Unless there has been a very recent change, electrocution still doesn't cause additional noise. This was originally a bug, but I'm pretty sure the devs have decided there's no need to nerf electrocution by adding noise. Freezing is also a pretty good brand. More stuff resists it than resists electrocution, but it also slows cold blooded enemies. No need to worry about distortion, because it, pain, and holy are not available through brand weapon, only through god blessings or on weapons that spawn with the property.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 24, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Double post

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Huh, could have sworn regular weapons could only spawn with a max of +9. That's a really good find though. It'll be really useful when you inevitably get sent to the Abyss as karmic backlash.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Huh, could have sworn regular weapons could only spawn with a max of +9. That's a really good find though. It'll be really useful when you inevitably get sent to the Abyss as karmic backlash.

This is typically true and I'm wondering what the hell is going on

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Speleothing posted:

I got a +10 non-artifact weapon from Trog during the tournament. I figured it was just really unlikely, not impossible.

edit: No, actually, it was +9 and I'm just crazy. I really thought it was double digits, I remember thinking 'huh, I didn't know it could go that high', but I just checked the morgue and it was definitely +9. Whoops!

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 25, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Speleothing posted:

Well Crawl can try and get it from my cold dead hands! :black101: will probably hammer out 3 more chapters over the weekend, as during my lunch break I generally just splat 30 ogres in a row and then go back to work.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Speleothing posted:

Regular weapons have been able to spawn with something like up to +12 on them for a long, long time. Once I was savescumming an acquirement scroll in 0.8 and got a +12 katana out of it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

So they can spawn up to +12 but you can only enchant them up to +9?

Huh. Learn something new every day.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I'll be posting two more chapters during the weekend. It will be the final two. :saddowns: Confusion may be a clever way to escape constriction... but it doesn't always pan out.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
No points for guessing where you bit it, then? A shame, but at least you're doubly living up to the thread title! v:v:v

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Maxmaps posted:

Autoexplore plays a trick on me that were I not a Spriggan would be horrifying. Those are boulder beetles, a type of beetle that rolls itself into a ball and then rolls at you for incredible damage. I sidestep and deal with them but it still got a ‘oh gently caress’ to audibly leave my lips while playing. Had this been a chei character, nothing short of a blink scroll might had saved me.
Actually if you were a chei character you could just hit a->b to use the ability which gets you out of situations like that for nearly free

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Neruz posted:

One of these days someone will do a successful mummy run despite their terribleness.
Well I didn't post it here, but I'm close to winning one now. Hell, I just killed Tiamat.

(Mostly due to insane lootluck, but it still counts)

E: I won. Suck it, mummies. Now I just have vampire left and I'll have won every species!

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 3, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Haifisch posted:

Well I didn't post it here, but I'm close to winning one now. Hell, I just killed Tiamat.

(Mostly due to insane lootluck, but it still counts)

Yes but we have already established the crawl RNG loves you so it extra doesn't count :colbert:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 4 - Don’t Stop Me Now

Lair’s complete. As usual I’ve set up a stash at L2, for I am an incorrigible packrat. Lair is clear that means we go into the Orcish Mines!

Gozag’s gold finding skills tell me right away that there’s more to O1 than meets the eye. Mind you, the lack of extra stairs kinda tells it that way. So, I have to explore around O2.

There is such a thing as exploring too much. While I have been stabbing my way throughout the mines without breaking a sweat, warlords can see invisible. They are however vulnerable to confusion, so a little stairdancing and we carry on clearing awa, heading to O3.

A Bailey! Timed portals full of humanoid monsters and treasures.They have several layouts, sometimes you’re faced with hallways lined with water and monsters with reaching weapons, sometimes you’re treated to nonstop shots from crossbows, but this particular layout is my favorite.

The Forest around me and the entrance in front says this is the double treasure chamber one! Filled with stuff that is very, very vulnerable to invisibility.

Gnolls, orcs and goblins are not particularly scary, and if you stick to treasure chamber 1, the worst you’ll see is an orc warrior. That is, however, so not the plan.

Chamber one has an exit portal, is in the middle of the layout and has some nice scrolls and potions.

Gozag shows me Chamber 2. Full of gold. The gold piles are the least of it though. I walk in and find some scary stuff.

Thankfully, I am ridiculously sneaky. And look at that loot. Those pots? Benemuts, always. Anyways, shhh. Don’t make a sound.

I love stabbers. The amulet of Cekugob is incredible, but it’s -Tele and that is incredibly dangerous for me. The cloak was just highly enchanted, and the benemuts were actually pretty good considering general Spriggan-ness.

O3 is in general nothing to write home about, but O4 is off to a rocky start.

Donald here has some of the funniest and best lines in Crawl and he generally doesn’t stop talking while you fight him. That’s if he wakes up. He doesn’t.

Exploring leads me smack to the middle of the O4 vault. The sorcerers can see invisible. Their demons can see invisible. Maurice and Urug are annoying but can’t see invisible. Warlords show up too. What follows is about 20 minutes of rushing in and out in a flagrant abuse of spriggan speed. Sadly I did forget to put my resist mutation amulet on as demons started showing up, so this is what I ended up looking like.

It’s not bad. But not ideal either. It’s also Gozag o’clock, so I proceed to burn just about all of my gold and call in as many consumable shops in as I can. a food shop, two potion shops, two scroll shops. Gozag means having crazy amounts of consumables by the endgame, if you play your cards smart. For now I focus on my mission, exploring the rest of the dungeon for easy exp and money before I start hitting Lair branches. Onwards to D14.

Oh Jesus. Wrong floor. This is horrifying. Invisibility and confusion may make this survivable, but Norirs there at the bottom is a game ender for stabbers. He can see invisible, he’s immensely magic resistant. Were he not human speed I would be fifteen shades of screwed if he woke up and I tried to take him.

So, I take a deep breath, figure I can get a stab on the wraith, take a couple steps down, stab Norris and get out. Of course, the instant I stab the wraith, literally everything wakes up so I have to run.

Another entrance is far less scary. I go invisible and start landing stabs on the centaur pack. D14 is overally scary as can be, but I need to explore it because one of my scroll shops spawned here. Can never have enough consumables.

Undead packs and Josephine plus slimes. Fun, but survivable.

And of course, I spend half the time bumping into and running from this He-Man wannabe.

But I run into my scroll shop. I’ve already made 1k back just from clearing this floor, so I happily pick up most of its contents. Particularly thrilled about the acquirement… and that lovely Brand Weapon scroll.

Considering I’m going for 3, maybe 4 runes tops? This is not a bad result.

I try my vampiric brand right away on these ugly things, it’s kinda amazing how fast my hp goes back up. I’m wrapping up fights at full HP without spending any MP. Hubris begins to build.

The entrance to the depths some rather unremarkable humanoids were guarding it, but they all died without waking up.

Found a stash of mutation potions by the vault entrance though. Time to experiment! For science!

Science is not always fun.

And so, with everything cleared. We wrap up this chapter and get ready to dive into the Lair branches.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

The amulet of Cekugob is incredible, but it’s -Tele and that is incredibly dangerous for me.
Jewellery is actually the one place where you shouldn't mind -tele that much, because swapping it is so fast. Of course, you have to remember you have it on before you're in a "must teleport NOW" situation...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
-Tele on jewelry is mostly just as hassle but for anyone using translocations its probably a deal breaker. One of the advantages of high translocations is you can use blink and later cBlink to reposition at a moments notice, and -tele robs you of that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, hubris. You've not going to get this one back if it's gone.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Ramc

Going for my HaAM win. In Zot 5 now. If I make it, it is a 4 game streak~

EDIT- I won~ http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Ramc/morgue-Ramc-20150411-012206.txt

Ramc fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 11, 2015

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Anybody want to watch a DSCj of Sif Muna fart around in Depths?

http://crawl.berotato.org:8080/#watch-Speleothing

done for the night

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Do the online Crawl servers delete save files for low-level characters that haven't been played in a while? Is there a standard policy, if so?

I think I might have started webtiles games on both s-z.org and akrasiac.org, then gone back to each a week or so later with nothing there. It's also entirely possible I just died and didn't remember because I was drunk.

I'd just like to know if there's some level I need to hit or timeout I need to be aware of.

• Locked thread