Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I haven't been playing in a while, so I didn't know Yiuf got a bit of a hoarding problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

You're Crazy Yiuf, aren't you? It's okay, you can admit it.

Haha, I wish. That character had only been alive for like 10 minutes and died 10 minutes later because orc packs happen and I am godawful at this game.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I am beyond terrible, and my best run ever was ended because I held my finger down on the D key while picking up a phonecall. I would love to be penned in for an LP because I already tell myself all sorts of stories in my head while playing, I might as well share some with people. :shobon:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
For the first time ever this is happening.

Playing right now, have never, ever won before. Heart is pounding.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I bring to you a story. A story of inescapable, periodical failure. I've been playing for... years now actually. I've tried everything, but I've been slowly gravitating towards melee heavy in high armor types. A couple months ago, I broke my record and actually got my first Rune ever on a Gargoyle Fighter. Then a couple weeks later I got 3 on a Ogre Berserker, then a couple weeks after that, stepped into Zot and died in the very first room on a Gargoyle Gladiator.

This is where we left off on my Minotaur Warrior.

After grabbing a drink, I decided to grab the damned thing.

The purple glow spooked me more than it should have, probably.

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT. HASTE AND RUN. RUN.

RUN MORE. RUN FASTER.

This NBA reject got stuck behind the Hellwing, allowing for a quick haste and run.

Not pictured: Having to kill another one of those hella tall guys because he was actually as fast as me with Haste on.
Also not pictured: Getting really scared when my autotravel got stopped by a bat and then an adder.

The exit finally in sight. Chat was trying to goad me into grabbing more runes, but I was having none of that. It was time to WIN... but first, it was time to celebrate.

And what better way to do so than...

A hot tub party!

These pricks showed up to crash my party after a few turns, so rather than have my guests be murdered before me, I left the dungeon.

Jesus, was it really that long? Anyways, here's my dude. That was incredibly fun.

Takeaways: Not having Gargoyle HP when fighting casters is a huge boon. Finding a single pip if rNeg and zero rCorr throughout the game was harsh, but I managed it. The acquirement scroll that gave me that crazy whip might as well have given me the orb. Ru is really, really, really strong. It kills any chances you may have at playing hybrid at all but the max piety skill is insane. I only had to use it twice in the game but it popped things that were still yellow to me in a single cast once I hit max piety.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 31, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Wrong thread!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 20, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I love the joke language enough for everyone.

It's supposed to sound like the dawn of war cultists, right?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Wrong thread!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Will be picking up the orb and hopefully getting my first 15 rune win on my Octopode at 8:30 PM CST today! https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Maxmaps

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

biosterous posted:

Has there been an octopus run in either of the threads? I don't remember. Someone should do an octopus run.

My guy took me way, way too many tries. So glad he's not only (maybe) going to be my third win, but my only 15 rune run ever.

I started as a Monk, focused hard on unarmed combat and dodging, then once those were at an okay level I started worshipping Chei. Later on I found Statue Form and it's just been fantastic since.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Maxmaps posted:

Will be picking up the orb and hopefully getting my first 15 rune win on my Octopode at 8:30 PM CST today! https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Maxmaps

Cheibro statue form Octopode 15 rune win is a go!

edit: Won! Woo!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 8, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Daetrin posted:

Thanks to this thread I just 15-runed with an OpMo of Chei. Weirdly, what gave me the worst trouble was not any of the hells or pan lords, but zig floors full of mummies.

My only 15 rune win was with that combo. Did you get Statue Form and realize you had become a god too?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SirSamVimes posted:

Correct, but it would have taken 15 arbritrary units of time instead of 10.

On my octopode statue form run I kept a wand of slowing on me for emergency nuclear statue form slouches, I even got to do it in deep water once too!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Grey Draconian of Ash with a Wyrmbane currently clearing Zot here https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Maxmaps considering a ziggurat afterwards, then maybe extended if I can round up my resists a bit better.

Edit: Currently on Zig 10, paused due to RL obligations.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 25, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I have a lunchbreak to burn. Let's go get the 4 runes of Hell. https://crawl.s-z.org/#watch-Maxmaps

Two Dis and Tartarus runes obtained. Work stuff to do. Will be hopefully getting the last two and running out with the Orb tonight!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 27, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

apostateCourier posted:

Got my first win! Wish I would've thought to tell you guys about it when I hit Zot 5.

Demonspawn Wanderer as your first? Well done!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Excellent run, SirSamVines! I didn't really get Ice Elementalist til I read through your stuff.

Super dumb question though, when you go into Zot 5 you mark the entrance with an exclusion to not autoexplore your way into death... err, which keybinding does that? I am asking for a friend. :stare:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Thanks.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I don't want it to be over :(

Hey now, don't forget what that LP taught us all.
Just chill and take it easy.
:byob1: :coolfish: :byob1:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Gameplay unrelated question, since I'm very much the kind of guy to play, record and then edit, is there any software or extension I could set up to automatically take screenshots of webtiles? I mean my current plan (unless someone already grabbed SpEN of Gozag) would be to set up OBS to just grab my whole screen, then review it and cut off screenshots of relevant, nonboring parts but that seems really inefficient.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SirSamVimes posted:

Also, get irfanview Maxmaps. You can set it to drag select screenshots every time you hit a hotkey, which is like doing editing in advance.

I tried doing something like that with puush and evernote but I suck at documenting, I'll end up getting way too into playing and forget about documenting entirely.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - A Spriggan Enchanter adventure.

Hi! I’m Maxmaps. I play way too much DCSS for it to be healthy, and thus I figured I might as well let people see me do it.

This LP’s purpose is about showcasing Gozag, the God of Greed. We’ll look into him as we do this LP, but there’s something you should know in advance: Gozag blesses you with the Golden Touch upon joining him. This means every creature you kill that would leave a corpse ends up turned into a pile of gold instead.

Gozag lets you create stores in the dungeon, so you could just request a permafood store to make up for that, but this incurs in an opportunity cost as each food store you ask for is one less store that you could have requested to improve your character, as Gozag only provides items that your current character can use. Thus, we will be playing a Spriggan, as their slow metabolisms and bonus nutrition from veggie based food will let us call for more food stores.

The enchanter background works great for a Spriggan, as you want to avoid melee combat at all costs, plus I find landing stabs incredibly rewarding.

Chapter One - Finding Go(l)d

I am a Spriggan! A small magical being, kinda weird and adorable. I have very little hp, am small and can wear only very specific equipment due to it, but am also incredibly, ridiculously fast. My skill plan is to get my bread and butter hexes castable asap, then pump spellcasting to make them hungerfree. Remember, we want to mitigate hunger so we can have more non-food stores from Uncle Gozag.

This is my starter spellbook. It comes with Corona, which increases my chances to land hits on any targets I throw it at. I don’t really care for Corona as a Spriggan, same goes for Sure Blade, as both would encourage me fighting hand to hand, which I don’t ever want to happen. Confuse, Ensorcelled Hibernation, Dazzling Spray and Enslavement I absolutely want, as they all provide chances to land stabs, which is my main offensive capacity.

A cloak! Spriggans can wear them, the bonus AC is fantastic. Lets play a game! How many screenshots will you see before I actually remember to put it on? Hint: A lot.

First close call, that chunk of HP I’m missing is from a single dagger hit. Thats how little HP I have. I put the kobold to sleep, stab it, then do the same to his friends.

Jewelry in D2! Poison resistance is very, very useful earlygame. Particularly if you started with single digit hp values.

And orc pack welcomes me to D3. Thankfully, I am so ridiculously fast I just run circles around them, throwing Confusion at them then running in for stabs.

A fort in D3? Earliest I have seen ever, I believe. The earlier you find a fort, the weaker the creatures inside. Still, I don’t wanna get mobbed, so I forbid the entrance and keep exploring.

I find several more orc packs, including one with some wizards who magic dart me to near death then haste themselves. Today I learned that a Spriggan is faster than a hasted orc. I run to safety, regenerate and come back for my kills.

Hounds, as all canids in the game, are also ridiculously fast and thus a danger to Spriggans. They can be easily confused and stabbed, though.

Done exploring, I find the gates to the fort wide open! A kobold fort? Makes sense, considering the depth.

The fort ends up being horrifying for my level. Gnolls with enchanted spears, Big Kobolds eager to chew my face off, and swarm upon swarm of regular kobolds descend upon me. I must have run out of that place at least five times, it was close call central. And yet… I found nothing of value inside of it, besides quite a few experience points.

Thus, I headed down to D4.

A phantom welcomes me to D4. It can be confused, but that’s about it. As an undead, it is immune to hibernation. They also hit a bit harder than I am comfortable with and blink around everywhere. How does one stab a an ethereal being with a regular dagger? Just repeat to yourself, 'It's just a game, I should really just relax.

Autoexplore lands me next to an ogre, which I confuse immediately. This is a good point to talk about the diferences in crowd control! Ensorcelled Hibernation is the strongest version of it. Putting an enemy to sleep allows you to land massively powerful stabs, capable of just about annihilating whatever you catch sleeping.

Dazzling Spray will do decent damage and blind an enemy, deeply reducing its melee accuracy, but that’s it. DS comes as a cone effect and can hit several targets, opening them up for minor stabs while blinded, but it wears off rather quickly.

Enslave turns a creature to fight for you. This can turn a scary enemy into a great ally, and afterwards you can land strong stabs on them. Enslave is also great to have, as it works on things that resist your other crowd controls.

And finally we have confuse. Confuse randomizes the actionsof your enemies and allows you to land stabs. What that means is that if a confused ogre gets just lucky enough while you try and stab it, it can easily take you out with just one swing. This one, however, got stabbed to death.

D4 gives me a Temple! It’s full of altars for all sorts of gods, so I cross my fingers and dive in.

It ends up being a scary lava type Temple, but it doesn’t matter, as we’ve found Gozag’s greedy shrine. So opulent!

Uncle Goz requires payment to join, and we happily shell out. It’s an investment, you see?

We immediately get access to our set of god abilities, including a free cast of Potion Petition. PP provides you with a choice between several combinations of beneficial potions that you will be infused with upon accepting the charge. It used to include the effects of a Potion of Porridge in every combination, but since those got removed I actually have no idea whether it does or not.

Call Merchant does what it says on the tin, it funds a merchant a floor or two deeper than your location, and Bribe Branch will pay off several sentient inhabitants of the branch it is casted on, making some of them fight for you and overall greatly diminishing the threat that branch presents.

The next floor provides an excellent chance to show off Gozag’s passive skills. Gozag will reveal all the gold and stores in a level upon entering, great for finding hidden vaults! Also, every time you kill a monster that could drop a corpse, it will drop a pile of shimmering gold.

This gold is special, as the magical shimmers it produces will enthrall adjacent creatures and keep them from attacking you, those working as a small defense source.

Blork the Orc! The killer in suspenders, a unique orc. He hastes himself, rushes us, gets put to sleep and is stabbed to death.

I run across a glowing dagger and equip it immediately. It’s a +2 dagger of poison! Poison is fantastic for an enchanter’s weapon, as landing a stab with a poison weapon will inflict more poison damage to your unexpecting target.

Blork let me get my spells to hungerless, so I started pumping stealth and short blades. Then I run into Sigmund, the newbie slayer. Thankfully, a couple confusions and a hit or two from a poison dagger and Sigmund simply served as an increase to my skills.

Wights! Well armed ones to boot! Thankfully, these undead nightmares can be confused. After a couple casts they tear eachother apart, leaving me to deal with the victor and avoiding any hits from that Dire Flail.

A goliath beetle welcomes me to D6. You can see Gozag’s magic in action, in my minimap. What you can’t see is me running up to that beetle, landing a stab, then watching it melt from the massive amount of poison I left in its scary body.

I found a fixedart amulet! Would be fantastic except for the whole suddenly going berserk. Berserking is very hunger-consumed and is thus ignored. Figured this was a good time for an inventory check as well.

This level has a small forest in it. In said forest, I meet a sky beast. Now, I know what you goons are thinking ‘TIME TO EAT THE PURPLE!’ but Uncle Goz turns all corpses into gold, meaning there will never be any purple for us to eat.

This floor also contains a small Gozag vault with a jewelry store. Generally, Gozag stores just have incredibly overpriced items with not fantastic properties.

...except for this one. Wow. Need to come back at some point. Some very wealthy, later date.

Exploring D6, I run into two really, really scary threats for a Spriggan like myself. The Orc Warrior is a devastating low level melee combatant, and a Centaur is almost as fast as me, but his arrows will happily close that distance for him. The warrior is thankfully easy to confuse, and the Centaur never wakes up.

As soon as I reach D7, I hear an avalanche of sand. An Ossuary. Sadly I have no mapping scrolls, and thus must explore. Rather quickly I find the telltale mustard walls of it, stab a zombie protecting the entrance and dive in.

The Ossuary welcomes us with a pack of slow, angry undead that wake eachother up, allowing for almost no stabs at all. Thankfully, our crazy fast movement speed means that clearing them is just a matter of running in circles, throwing Dazzling Spray after Dazzling Spray at them. That picture depits the aftermath.

Ossuaries are generally homes to treasure, traps and Mummies. Mummies can be confused as all undead and pack a considerable punch. They will also curse your gear upon death.

There were a lot of mummies. I leave the Ossuary with a whole lot of bonus exp, consumables and a sense of a job well done.

Immediately upon leaving the ossuary, I run into an orc pack, by now a trivial challenge. After stabbing them all to death, I get this fantastic message.

Now, lets explain a little more about Gozag’s abilities; you need the listed price in order to use your ability, but upon doing so you will be presented with a list of choices at different prices. The only gold that is consumed is the final payment price for your set of potions or the store you wish to fund.

The costs of all of Gozag’s abilities will increase each time you use that particular one. You will revive a discount if you wear an Amulet of faith will reduce the cost of all powers when worn, but upon removal the discount will disappear and be replaced by your prices being even higher than before you wore the amulet.

But, I have 800 gold, so lets call a merchant in!

Well goons, you can’t go back after making a choice and request a different set of stores or potions, you simply have to pick one. Thus, I ask you; Which one should I ask for?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Disaster strikes. Going searching for that Antique store, I end up in D9, step on a shadow trap and get gored to death in a hallway by two summoned yak before my TP can go off. :saddowns:

Would it be preferable to start the LP over or should I just play another game, then pick up at D7 with a small update on notable stuff that I found on the way there?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 2 - Crawl Hates Me

Well, this is a new Spriggan. This one needed to exist because Shadow Traps sometimes summon yaks in a hallway and sometimes TP scrolls take a few too many turns to activate. Also, the Antique shop had random assorted items. Anyways, we stopped at D7 on that previous Spriggan, this one starts at the same floor!

First off, I take inventory. There wasn’t much of note here besides stabbing Eustachio for a rapier of speed, finding a vampiric dagger I can’t actually afford to use due to the extra hunger it generates. The jewelry is nice, though. No Ossuary this time around but a Sewer was cleared, which provided two curemut potions.

Welcome to D8, says Pikel. He notices me almost immediately, wakes up his slaves and moves to the frontline. Confusion. Stab. Bunch of happy, free slaves. That was kind of scary for a welcome, an enchanted whip on a unique when you have Spriggan HP is not a welcome sight. So I start autoexploring again. Eh, can’t get worse than that, right?

RIGHT!? Cyclops can throw giant rocks that can just about oneshot me, I panic, drink an invis potion I had found and manage a stab. Jesus, this is one nutty D8.

Really. Really nutty D8.

An artifact robe! Barely, that is. Some rN is always welcome.

This is the worst D8 ever. I open one of those doors and stab the longeared bastard.

That elf sets me at 800 gold so I call in a store. I figure armor would be really nice out of those choices, as my evocation skill is nonexistant so gadgets won’t be great, have plenty of food and a general store is always a crapshoot.

D9 is entirely unremarkable, but D10 welcomes me with a ghost. I’m kinda iffy on getting this deep with my current set of spells, I need to find Lair soon. Player ghosts can be confused and stabbed, so this one’s more of a nice sack of exp.

I find the entrance to the Orcish Mines. My next stop after Lair, for sure. I need more Fighting levels before I dare to step into the Mines, Lair may be scary but getting hit by a flurry of smites from orc priests at a low level is not something I want.

And D11, the lowest that the Lair can spawn. And right there, marked gold in my map is my first summoned store.

...This is me assuming that something got changed from Trunk regarding shops only having useful stuff. Steam dragon armor may be useful, but the rest of the store is a complete wash. From now on, I’ll focus on weapons, jewelry, scrolls and potions. Maybe some gadgets if I find something worth raising Evoc for.

Pack of Yaks! These are a little magic resistance but eventually they get stabbed to death mid confusion. These don’t worry me at all, really. Their larger friends, those are horrifying.

Speaking of horrifying, killer bees are as fast as Spriggans and their poison can’t be overlooked. Chokepoints, confusion and crossing your fingers end up working.

The entrance to the Lair at last. I wrap up exploring D11 and dive in immediately. These floors were really scary so I’m looking forward to a place full of soft targets.

And what’s softer than sheep? Dazzling Spray spam gets the job done.

This Lair seems to like packs! I go through all these river rats without a scratch, stab after stab, then putting the last guy to sleep.

L1 was uneventful, so of course Crawl decides that I have to crap my pants as soon as I hit L2. Gastronok is super slow, but getting hit by his Airstrike could end this run really early. I place myself on the stairs up, spam confusion and then carve the slug up. I get a +1 hat out of it.

Clearing L2, I set up a stash. Nothing special. Unused books, wands, staves, scrolls and jewelry. Having taken out Gastronok without as much as breaking a sweat, I have no issues diving into L3.

Okay. Blink frogs. Hit like trucks. Blink around. Nothing I can’t handle with judicious use of Confusion and-

Holy crap I can’t believe I made it back to L2.

I stairdance with the frogs for quite a few turns, then go back to L3, epxloring around I bump into a Black Mamba. These are crazy fast, have a really powerful poison, and are really hard to hit. Thankfully this one is asleep, so I carefully sneak up to it to deliver a deadly stab.

It woke up.

I end up finding the entrance to the Snake Pit, which explains all the snakes. That’s until I walk next to it, it vanishes and reveals itself as a mimic. I guess it had the snakes fooled too.

Exploring lands me in sight of a seven headed hydra. Spriggans are a little faster than hydras, so I spam confusion on it then stab it to death. I’m still using a crappy +2 dagger, by the way.

Spiny frogs. Fast. Strong. Poisonous and a little magic resistant. Thankfully, cold-blooded monsters are vulnerable to Hibernation, so I make it sleep then kill it.

Killer Bee vault. Great for food, not so great for its contents. Thankfully this one has a chokepoint and I have confusion; not pictured, confusing the Queen Bee and having her sting half of her army to death before I stabbed her.

As soon as I’m done, I run into Jumbo here. Elephants are effectively yaks 2.0, a little bit of magic resistance, tons of HP, hit like trucks and with the added benefit of trampling you. It takes a few casts, but I end up confusing and stabbing the small pack of pachyderms I run into.

The next Lair floor gives me this welcome message. I have zero mapping scrolls, so its a race against the clock. I’m not even remotely scared of the Minotaur, but I am scared of not finding the entrance in time.

I end up in a mad dash with a huge amount of spiny frogs, river rats and even a hydra behind me, by the time I find the entrance it is a few turns from closing, but I slide into it just in time.

The Labyrinth has simple rules, find stone walls, then metal walls, then the Minotaur’s vault. The layout shifts slightly every few turns, and your character forgets the map around it with each passing turn. Ashenzari worshippers can easily farm to full piety in this place, but as a Gozag follower, I just want out.

Metal walls means the vault is close.

This is it. Now, the minotaur is generally a formidable opponent. I’ve seen ones spawn with branded executioner’s axes, but even unarmed they pack quite the punch. Here’s the thing, though. I have an invisibility potion and they can’t see invis at all.

Our haul is not particularly impressive, but the resistance robe, buckler and Lightning Rod will come useful in the future.

How will our Spriggan fare in the future? Tune in tomorrow for another episode:

Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 3 - As Luck Would Have It

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 3 - As Luck Would Have It

Having defeated the Minotaur, I gather my loot and go back into the Lair. The lightning rod will wreck havoc without much training, but I focus on Fighting first as I feel far too squishy for what may come in the deeper levels of the Lair.

You see, I am coming up to what I call ‘The Enchanter Point’. This is what I call the part of the game by which I may run into enemies who are:

a) Immune or highly resistant to my hexes
b) Far too strong to risk being in melee with
c) High enough level to make stealth entirely unreliable
d) All of the above

Deep Lair, Dungeon, the last 2 floors of Orc, and everything afterwards will have some A, B or C, and more often than not, a whole lot of D. This is where you arrive at the Enchanter Point, where if you don’t have an alternative solution for engagements (branching off into magic, crazy strong evokables, a really solid weapon and melee skills) you end up running out of easy exp sources and effectively lose the game. You can push the point back (good mutations, higher level hexes) but you can’t avoid it.

b

Little after leaving the Labyrinth, I run into the entrance to the Swamp. This Lair ranch is generally not too hard, but running into a thorn hunter as a Spriggan could be incredibly dangerous. Still haven’t found the other branch entrance, since that Snake one was just a mimic. Please note our lovely red and gold robe of resistance. Boon to sneaking, I’m sure.

At this point, player ghosts without high MR are just experience piñatas. It takes a single confuse to stab this one to death. I welcome this, as I really would like to have some more Fighting to make up for my overly squishy frame.

Autoexplore plays a trick on me that were I not a Spriggan would be horrifying. Those are boulder beetles, a type of beetle that rolls itself into a ball and then rolls at you for incredible damage. I sidestep and deal with them but it still got a ‘oh gently caress’ to audibly leave my lips while playing. Had this been a chei character, nothing short of a blink scroll might had saved me.

If I wanted to exemplify the Point in one tile, it would be that. A lone death yak. Incredibly magic resistant. Hits like a truck full of truck parts. Putting it to sleep, enslaving it, confusing it, all of them have really, really low chances of working. A single one like this can be dealt with via kiting, but any more and there’s no choice but to run.

Crawl now shows you your hex chance of success when trying to hex something. This is a welcome departure to their no numbers design philosophy. Not pictured, me going through 3 mana bars in order to get that one to stick. My +2 dagger took three stabs to put him down. Death Yaks are aptly named.

Fire Drakes. They may not have a lot of hp, or hit particularly hard in melee, but they don’t run out of breath and as such can just about spam their flame breath at you if you get unlucky. One pip of resist fire should help, but it still would had been very unpleasant if he woke up. Thankfully he didn’t, I was hopeful that it would be the last scary chance encounter on this floor.

And then it wasn’t. Catoblepas shoot out clouds of calcifying dust that, if you stay long enough within, will start petrifying you and turn you to stone. For high AC characters, a lone Catoblepas may not be too scary, as they don’t hit -that- hard and as such being carelessly petrified won’t usher in certain death. I rely on EV, though, and being petrified strips you of it entirely. Add my low HP to that and being petrified would spell certain and sudden doom. They’re also pretty magic resistant, but as long as I can land a stab while it sleeps, it shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Petrification takes a couple turns to kick in. You can read a teleport scroll in that time and have the rocky-ness set it while you’re hopefully safe. I would have been toast if I had popped up next to literally anything.

Naga in a vault! That can only mean one thing, I have possibly run into the real entrance to the Snake Pit!... This is a horrifying proposition. Nagas have constricting melee attacks which can’t really be tanked by me at all, they also see invisible but Crawl has not been kind enough to gift me with Invisibility (my go-to method of pushing The Point back) so that’s not worrying. Shoals would have been better. Spider too. Oh well, we get what we get.

None of the naga guards wake up before I stab them to death and thus fall to the might of my +2 dagger. Seriously, besides that Vampiric one I have found nothing. I’m even considering the rapier at this point, since finding a Quick Blade (my ideal endgame weapon) without an acquirement scroll needs either insane luck, or a dive into the Elven Halls to either find one at the hall of blades or getting lucky with a Blademaster.

L7 delivers action right away. Calcifying dust can thankfully affect other Monsters. I would move in for stabs but are far too scared, deciding instead to stairdance so I can deal with the little welcoming party. Afterwards, I find two books very close by.

Oh my god, we’re training Hexes again! I can’t possibly overstate how amazing this find is. Cause Fear hits everything in your line of sight with the equivalent of a Scroll of Fear, making it an incredible escape tool. Deflect Missiles will save my rear end against a variety of later game threats. Haste on a Spriggan goes from Best Spell In The Game to putting me dangerously close of being absorbed by the Speed Force. Discord is really strong if I’m noticed by a bunch of hard to dodge enemies, particularly considering as fast as I am, big chance I can still outrun them. Silence can deal with some of the scariest casters in the game… but that’s not what I’m excited about.

Invisibility. My go-to method to push the Point back. You’ll see why. I learn Invisibility immediately and start training Hexes again. A reckoning is coming.

Snorg may look like your average overweight troll, but he can enrage at will, that is assuming you don’t give him a good dose of dagger to the face while he slumbers.

Pack of Death Yaks. I’m not ready yet. I run away.

And straight into a Lindwurm. Think of a fire drake, just stronger, but without wings. I have to eat a few blasts of fire, but once he’s confused he gets chopped up. Autoexplore has just been particularly mean this run.

Particularly mean. Guess I’m on the clock to find the Ice Cave on the last level of the Lair. Thankfully I have a magic mapping scroll this time.

Protected by white imps. Not a single one woke up, and even if I did, rC++ means I’m not really scared of whatever ice beasts, ice demons or simulacra may wait inside the cave, so I jump in right away.

The disorganized tiles tell me this is the actual cave layout. It could be full of ice themed demons, which wouldn't be too scary, but there’s a second, less awesome possibility.

It could be full of high level beasts. This is an uphill battle and an exercise of using corridors correctly. I manage to get invisibility safely castable in the middle of slaughtering polar bears, which makes the rest a breeze.

That is of course unless I run into something that can see invisible, like a Frost Giant. These bastards throw frost at you at range and have a freezing battleaxe to chop you in half if you get close. I get lucky chaincasting confusion on him, get to see him cleave through his animal friends, and eventually clear the Ice Cave. I find nothing of any value, but I don’t mind as getting enough experience to get invisibility to be reliable outweighs it all.

This shows the whole layout of the last Lair level. The asterisk shaped structure in the middle is effectively a collection of small treasure vaults with an assortment of creatures inside of them, with the big one in the middle being generally the most lucrative. I’m intrigued by the structure at the top left as well, as it suggests there being another vault full of valuables at the end of that winding hallway. I also try to not abuse Invisibility too much, as getting it to no hunger would require me to invest far more than I’m okay with in Spellcasting this early in the game.

The vault in the middle has a Fire Dragon Armor, which I -could- wear as a Spriggan, but it’s far too cumbersome and heavy to allow for good sneakyness. Going above Swamp Dragon armor is generally not recommended as a Spriggan, still seeing a hide armor in a Gozag game is pretty nice. Gozag means no corpses, and thus no hides at all. That’s a Guardian Serpent guarding it. They can spit poison and slow you, but thankfully can be chopped down easy even with a cruddy dagger.

The entrance to Slime Pits!... We are so not messing with that in the forseeable future.

Autoexplore; why?

The structure at the left side turns out to be full of all sorts of dogs. All dogs go to heaven (and can see invisible). That Warg there is pretty strong, but its low magic resistance makes it an easy prey for hexes. Wargs are as scary as regular canids get in the game, which isn’t much.

I did say regular canids, right? That’s a hellhound. They’re fast. They hit hard. They breathe fire. They’re not something I like to see at all, and you generally only see them in Hell. I’m liking this vault less and less each passing second, so I may end up having to TP out if things get hairy.

Raiju. What if Hellhounds could turn into living lightning and blink through you, doing heavy electric damage in the process? Had I not got lucky with Confusion, I would have had to TP away. Generally you only see Raiju in the Abyss, and it’s for a good reason.

Oh yes. The moment I’ve been waiting for. Retribution! Yaks may be nearly impossible to hex, but making myself invisible? No defense for that. What follows is a slaughter, and it is lovely. It doesn’t get better than this.

Or it can get better than that! So, all those dogs were being ruled by some sort of Bear oligarchy with a polar bear as king. Would be scarier if I hadn’t carved my way through half a dozen polar bears in the Ice Cave. But that’s not the important part? You see that weapon on the left? A runed quick blade. Quick blades are almost as good as daggers for stabbing, but also pack quite a punch, an incredibly fast one to boot. Even if its cursed and at -2, it’s way worth dumping enchant weapon scrolls into.

HNNNGH.

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 24, 2015

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

SaffronKit posted:

Hey Maxmaps, is there any way you could crop down or timg some of your larger images? They've the unfortunate effect of making it impossible to read all parts of your posts without scrolling to either side significantly. It's not really that big a deal as it's just a bit of extra effort on my part otherwise.

For the content of the post, Gozag seems cool but what are the real advantages of him? Being able to buy potions and make shops appear? Is bribing things super useful to do in some of the later branches?

Timg'd the largest ones, hoping it still works okay. Gozag's strength is letting you get strong and rare gear early (chaining artifact shops is something I've done), and if you're covered gearwise, calling in consumable shops plus strengthening yourself via the potion service that I have thankfully not needed just yet.

Bribe can be really strong but it's expensive, and like much of DCSS depends on an invisible number. There's no way of knowing how much you have left in your bribe fund in a branch, so you won't know you need a refresher until its painfully obvious. The problem with Gozag is that you can get very unlucky and just roll store after store with gear that isn't great, and then it ends up being a challenge god.

It's nowhere near as bad as if you go for a Xom run on an unlucky day, but it can still mess you up. I wouldn't recommend going past 3 runes with him, as your cash flow gets interrupted when corpses stop dropping and each food shop you summon will cost you more gold than the previous one.

I've been thinking about a gozag mummy run, but mummies are terrible.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Karia posted:

So assuming you find brand weapon scrolls, what are you going for? Does electrocution cause noise on activation now?

I... Would really like to know this! Vorpal I suppose would be my other choice mostly because gently caress distortion.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Speleothing posted:

This is typically true and I'm wondering what the hell is going on

Well Crawl can try and get it from my cold dead hands! :black101: will probably hammer out 3 more chapters over the weekend, as during my lunch break I generally just splat 30 ogres in a row and then go back to work.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I'll be posting two more chapters during the weekend. It will be the final two. :saddowns: Confusion may be a clever way to escape constriction... but it doesn't always pan out.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Get Rich or Die Crawlin' - Part 4 - Don’t Stop Me Now

Lair’s complete. As usual I’ve set up a stash at L2, for I am an incorrigible packrat. Lair is clear that means we go into the Orcish Mines!

Gozag’s gold finding skills tell me right away that there’s more to O1 than meets the eye. Mind you, the lack of extra stairs kinda tells it that way. So, I have to explore around O2.

There is such a thing as exploring too much. While I have been stabbing my way throughout the mines without breaking a sweat, warlords can see invisible. They are however vulnerable to confusion, so a little stairdancing and we carry on clearing awa, heading to O3.

A Bailey! Timed portals full of humanoid monsters and treasures.They have several layouts, sometimes you’re faced with hallways lined with water and monsters with reaching weapons, sometimes you’re treated to nonstop shots from crossbows, but this particular layout is my favorite.

The Forest around me and the entrance in front says this is the double treasure chamber one! Filled with stuff that is very, very vulnerable to invisibility.

Gnolls, orcs and goblins are not particularly scary, and if you stick to treasure chamber 1, the worst you’ll see is an orc warrior. That is, however, so not the plan.

Chamber one has an exit portal, is in the middle of the layout and has some nice scrolls and potions.

Gozag shows me Chamber 2. Full of gold. The gold piles are the least of it though. I walk in and find some scary stuff.

Thankfully, I am ridiculously sneaky. And look at that loot. Those pots? Benemuts, always. Anyways, shhh. Don’t make a sound.

I love stabbers. The amulet of Cekugob is incredible, but it’s -Tele and that is incredibly dangerous for me. The cloak was just highly enchanted, and the benemuts were actually pretty good considering general Spriggan-ness.

O3 is in general nothing to write home about, but O4 is off to a rocky start.

Donald here has some of the funniest and best lines in Crawl and he generally doesn’t stop talking while you fight him. That’s if he wakes up. He doesn’t.

Exploring leads me smack to the middle of the O4 vault. The sorcerers can see invisible. Their demons can see invisible. Maurice and Urug are annoying but can’t see invisible. Warlords show up too. What follows is about 20 minutes of rushing in and out in a flagrant abuse of spriggan speed. Sadly I did forget to put my resist mutation amulet on as demons started showing up, so this is what I ended up looking like.

It’s not bad. But not ideal either. It’s also Gozag o’clock, so I proceed to burn just about all of my gold and call in as many consumable shops in as I can. a food shop, two potion shops, two scroll shops. Gozag means having crazy amounts of consumables by the endgame, if you play your cards smart. For now I focus on my mission, exploring the rest of the dungeon for easy exp and money before I start hitting Lair branches. Onwards to D14.

Oh Jesus. Wrong floor. This is horrifying. Invisibility and confusion may make this survivable, but Norirs there at the bottom is a game ender for stabbers. He can see invisible, he’s immensely magic resistant. Were he not human speed I would be fifteen shades of screwed if he woke up and I tried to take him.

So, I take a deep breath, figure I can get a stab on the wraith, take a couple steps down, stab Norris and get out. Of course, the instant I stab the wraith, literally everything wakes up so I have to run.

Another entrance is far less scary. I go invisible and start landing stabs on the centaur pack. D14 is overally scary as can be, but I need to explore it because one of my scroll shops spawned here. Can never have enough consumables.

Undead packs and Josephine plus slimes. Fun, but survivable.

And of course, I spend half the time bumping into and running from this He-Man wannabe.

But I run into my scroll shop. I’ve already made 1k back just from clearing this floor, so I happily pick up most of its contents. Particularly thrilled about the acquirement… and that lovely Brand Weapon scroll.

Considering I’m going for 3, maybe 4 runes tops? This is not a bad result.

I try my vampiric brand right away on these ugly things, it’s kinda amazing how fast my hp goes back up. I’m wrapping up fights at full HP without spending any MP. Hubris begins to build.

The entrance to the depths some rather unremarkable humanoids were guarding it, but they all died without waking up.

Found a stash of mutation potions by the vault entrance though. Time to experiment! For science!

Science is not always fun.

And so, with everything cleared. We wrap up this chapter and get ready to dive into the Lair branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Edit: Wrong thread!

Maxmaps fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 13, 2015

• Locked thread