Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cyrus, your words slip right past the greaseballs, with no effect on their well-clad, steadily advancing feet. “That thing looks better’n all’a Pencey’s gear put together! Aye, I think we’ll be ‘avin’ it!” As he reaches out to grab the spear from your hand, you thrust the Heart into a nearby pile of rubble. It sinks between three brickwork slabs, rife with twisted rebar, into a mound of concrete rubble and dust.

It’s still for moment, then pieces begin to shift. Chunks that seem as though they should fall off stick fast, forming a body that stands tall over everyone, clearing a large portion of the room’s debris. Its eyes glow with same dull orange light that Fitzl’s did, and your harpoon sticks straight out from its chest. The slicksters watch in awe as the golem blinks and takes in the devastation around it, attempting to make sense of its body. Its voice is the scrape of rough stones and screech of rusting metal.

“This fire, inside… It cannot breathe... The flows are... blocked, by all this... artifice. I am not... together. Urrr... Rrrruh.." The golem sways, the orange light in its chest fluctuating in strength. The works of man aren't ideal conduits for the Heart's magic - you can use objects as golem stock, but you gotta bust 'em up a little and they might not work right - in this case it seems unable to focus its animating energies enough for complex thought or directed motion.

The leader of the greasers shoves a wiry little member of his crew forward. "Get up there an' get it!" The kid nods excitedly. "You fukkin' got it, boss! Right fukkin' quick, y-you betcha!" He runs over to the golem and begins to scale its leg, eyes fixed on the harpoon sticking out of the golem's chest. Two greasers are blocking your way, arms crossed with smug smirks, and the rest are watching their buddy climb.

What do you do?

Ramona & Bishop, you snake your way up to the top side of the building, parallel to the gaping structural faultline that bisects it. When you finally finish climbing and haul yourself up on top, you can see you're about halfway to the actual roof - fifteen or so floors to go. The grade of the upper half is steeper, but still hikeable. Then you hear the distant, deep sound of heavy footfalls, and the building beneath you shifts suddenly, throwing you off your feet!

When you pick yourself up, the building seems to have stablized, but the slope ahead of you has become more of a wall. Screams drift up from the ground below - probably chunks of debris taking out more poor slummers. On the bright side, there's now a row of windows right in front of you, any of which could be a way up. About eight floors above you, someone sticks their head out of the window. "The hell happened... Hey!" They duck back inside - you've been spotted!

You only caught a glimpse, but what did they look like? And what do you do?

Dr. Galen, by the time you finish explaining the situation to the young nurse, the look of terror on her face tells you all you need to know - this isn't the first patient she's cut with this scalpel! Her eyes brim with tears as they search your pointed white mask. "Stair-ill-eye-zay-shun?" She sounds out the unfamiliar word. "I- I was a baker, I didn't--"

A great rumbling tremor stops her mid-sentence, dust raining down from the ceiling. A couple boulders slam into the ground outside, but then it's over, the ward silent, awaiting an aftershock. CLANG!! The sound of a metal tray careening off the floor! Behind you, a man you don't recall operating on struggles to get out of his bed, moaning, "I can't see... Somebody help me! I CAN'T SEE!"

:doink:

Don't forget to mark your XP! You should have at least 3 now right? What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Gurgle
2 Ingredients | 3 Potions
HP 18/18 | Armor 1 | XP 8/9
Load 8/11 | 4/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

Down the hatch! = 8
Choice: The effect is weakened.
Gurgle waves away the last curls of irritating steam and slurps up a ladleful of the finished brew. "Mmmmmpfff," he mumbles through a mouthful of fizz. "Hmmmhmmhgfmgf! S'good!" Fizzy, somehow tangy, with just a hint of fermented fruit, and a sinus-clearing kick that really jumps up your noise and says bonjour. It's going to need some taste-testing, though, before he can find out if it's properly alcoholic enough to make a profit on. Gurgle sticks his head out the hatch, and bangs on a pot with his ladle. "CORKYYY!" he hollers out the door. "Oi! Allons-y, m'sieu - you like beer, no? I got a present for you!"

The frogman putters around while he waits for Corky to arrive, dumping his various soiled flasks into the sink. They'll need a good long scrubbing when this is all over. While he works, he thinks on some possible contingency plans in the event his plan to pay the workers in beer doesn't turn out flawlessly. Maybe he could sell it as an invigorating tonic; bill it as being healthy for the children--

--oh no. The children. Gurgle stops in his tracks abruptly as the color drains from his slimy face. He shoves a load of filthy dishes off the table and spreads out his old notes on mudflesh potion. "Ohhhh, no no nononono," he mumbles, scanning the sections on side-effects and dosage recommendations. "Oh no." In a moment he's dashing out of the kitchen, leaving Idris' beer to cool in its keg. Why on earth did he decide to fall asleep during that part of Master Loshn's lectures? He's got to talk to Dr. Galen now--

Edit: Does this count as having used all of my mudflesh potion, or is there more to be used?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Sorry, I didn't see your edit with the DD roll until just now. If I recall correctly, you gave all (or nearly all) of your mudflesh to Gustav for use with the survivors. Edit: If you meant would you have to roll again for evacuation purposes: probably not.

Gurgle, you take a big gulp of the finished brew - yowza, that's got some spice to it! Funny, you don't find yourself feeling very drunk - maybe just your particular anatomy - but your sinuses are bailing out like your head is a sinking ship! There's a nearly unstoppable flood of snot flooding down your face. To make matters worse, just as you're turning around to get back to Aqualantis to find the good doctor, you find yourself face to face with a crowd of grubby younglings!

"We like beer!" One of them pipes up. Before you can reply, one of the older, less sickly-looking ones of the bunch steps forward, somehow having gotten his hands on a length of pipe. "The fatso mentioned you're the one that made that swimmin' potion. Tasted like poo poo, it did. You're gonna give us some of that beer, ain't ya froggy?" Looking closer, you notice that all the kids seem to have weapons of various sizes and effectiveness, and they're blocking your path to the door. And Corky is nowhere in sight...

What do you do?

Something Else fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 8, 2014

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Bishop
HP: 20/20, A: 1, XP: 7/9

Bishop swings his arms out and bends his knees slightly to try and balance himself as the block shifts beneath him.

"That can't be good and what was that noise," Bishop mutters as he steps closer to the wall and tries to process the event.

Discern Reality: 2d6+2 11
What happened here recently? (In regards to the noise and shift of the block)
What should I be on the lookout for?
Is anything here useful or valuable to us?

As he looks at the windows he shifts his gaze up towards the top of the building. As his sight nears the middle of the remaining building he sees a head pop out momentarily and shout at Ramona and himself.

"Did you get a look at that guy?" he exclaimed to Ramona, "Looked like he had an orange mohawk and some facial scars to me. We should keep an eye out, his tone indicates he wasn't happy to see us. In fact we should probably get out of the open. Shall we enter one of the windows?"

I based my facial description off this guy.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Ramona de Sahagún
26/26 HP, 3 Armor, 9/14 Load, 7 XP,

"Right." Ramona finds an open window, preferably busted, and grabs a big shard of glass for throwing as she heads indoors with Bishop.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Cyrus
17/17 HP, 1 Armor, 6/10 XP

Cyrus grabs his harpoon and readies it at the two goons standing in front of him. "Listen. I don't wanna have to shoot you guys. But if you don't leave that heart alone, I will." Cyrus pats his harpoon as he says, "This baby packs a mean punch. Don't believe me? Maybe you need a demonstration?" Cyrus aims just over the pair's heads and fires, hoping that the harpoon will shatter some of the golem's mobility-restricting parts.

Volley (on the debris golem): 2d6+2 4 Christ. 6->7 XP.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Bishop, your built-in tremorsensors automatically kick in when the building shifts. You pick up some readings that confirm your logical assumptions: something heavy, with its epicenter near the top of Building A, has caused a tremor that threatens the stability of Building C (the one you're on top of). The shift has caused large amounts of debris from within C to spill out, falling onto the clearing below. Building C is still very unstable, and more shocks like that could bring it down entirely. However, it seems like the movements from this tremor have subsided. Looking up, you can see that the digital marker you placed when you sensed for machines is still active - only five floors up from where you are now.

Ramona, you follow Bishop's lead into the accessible apartment. On your way through the window, you break off a big chunk of broken glass - fortunately, your sharkskin gloves allow you to handle it safely, as long as you're being a little careful with it. Inside the room, furniture is scattered and broken, and dingy personal belongings have been flung everywhere. Same story in the hallway; several thick, fallen beams and rubble from a crumbled wall also impede your movements. You can see a stairwell down at the far end of the hallway, but picking your way around all the debris will take some time.

Add to your inventory: Glass shard (1 weight, hand, thrown, 2 piercing, messy, dangerous). What do you both do?

Cyrus, in your haste to intimidate the slicksters, you accidently grab a handful of harpoons from your quiver instead of just one, and let fly before you notice. They interfere with each other, knocking two way off target, over the edge. The third glances off the golem, chipping off a small chunk of the old block. The climbing slickster looks back at you and cackles. "Ehehehe! Nice fukkin' shot, fishy!" From his position near the golem's "waist," he jumps up and grabs the Stolen Heartpoon with both hands. He braces his feet against the golem's chest and starts pulling on the Heartpoon - it's not coming out easy, but its glow intensifies as he tugs, and the golem speaks: "Rrrruh... yes... end this false life. Thank you, little one..." The slickster replies, "Yeah, yeah, you fukkin' betcha. Now let go awready!" The other slicksters are just doubled over laughing at your rather pitiful toss.

Mark one ammo off your harpoons. What do you do?

Something Else fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 10, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
That's about what I figured on the mudflesh potions. I won't be using them again on more than one person, unless I can brew some more.

Gurgle
Load 8/11 | 4/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

"H-hold on now, cherie," Gurgle stammers, eyeing the children through a film of rubbery snot. He blinks and snorts, trying to dispel a tickle at the back of his nose, and scoops up a sample in a wide-mouth flask. He holds it out to the plumber's kid with an oily grin, pretending to admire it while he furiously thinks through his options. "I, uh, you want some, you know you gotta be paying, right? Not even Daddy gets this good stuff for free..eee, aacgffjk--"

He stifles back a sneeze with moments to spare. Uh-oh. They're not buying it...and something about the mudflesh residue on their skin is giving him the creeps. Normally it crusts up and flakes off once the effects have run their course. It shouldn't be sticking around this long. No time to waste on making some kid's day - he's got to get them into quarantine at once and find out what's going on here.

:tubular: Belch Sneeze = 12 :tubular:
Gurgle feels another sneeze coming on, and with it, a brilliant disgusting idea comes to him. Looks like his 'beer' is sending his mucus-production glands into overdrive. Why not encourage it? He plugs his nose and mouth, building up to one seriously stupendous sternutation. "Eee, eeaah, ahh, aaaAAAAAAAACSCHMMRRRRMHFPPPP--" With nowhere else to go, the pent-up sinus pressure discharges through Gurgle's skin with a noise like an overcoat full of toads being run over by a steamroller.
• Choice: Cause a debilitating effect on something, or someone, within Reach of you.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Gurgle, the children look back and forth between each other as you build up your snot assault. Finally the leader looks back at you with a smug expression on his face. "Well, we 'aven't got any money. We're jus' poor, pathe'ic slummers, see? So givvuz some FUCKIN' beer ya slimy f--"
:tubular:

Moments later, the children are in a pile at the other end of the room, picking themselves up and wiping sheets of nasal discharge from their ragged clothing. "EW!! This is GROSS! I HATE YOU!!! We were just THIRSTY!!" You savor the lamentations of the children as they retreat up the stairs. Moments later, Corky comes down, wide-eyed. "What ze hell did you do to zem? Zut alors, you lie down for un petit somme and wake up to zis!!"

He makes a beeline for the unfamiliar pot on the stovetop, though he has to double back to peel a sticky ladle off the floor - but he's complimenting your brewing skills in no time. He seems at home in the kitchen; you catch a hint of dread in his eyes as he stares at the stairs. He looks around at your brewing mess, then smacks the countertop with his palm. "Eureka! I will stay here, wash your petit chaudrons et casseroles, bottle cet liqueur, and you, you will go upperdecks and watch over les enfants. A fair trade!! What do you say, mon grenuille??"

What do you do?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | 3/10 XP

"I- I was a baker, I didn't--" rings through Galen's mind, repeating itself as panic starts to rise up in the doctor.

The rumbling is certainly disconcerting given the state of this magnificent spectacle of science.

'I only hope the others are faring well in their endeavors...' Galen thinks just as a man proclaims his blindness only a few feet away.

Galen tightens his vestments and retrieves an antitoxin and his clean scalpel.

"Sir, be still and please sit down. Your life is in danger and I need you to do exactly as I say if you want to see tomorrow."
(LEVERAGE: Bedside Manner: 2d6 5)
If I need to try and calm the patient, he's done for. Otherwise...

"First, I'll be injecting you with an antitoxin to begin combating the fungi that is making your body suitable for this infection. Next, I'll be making an incision above your carotid artery on the left side of your neck. It will sting, but you will begin to feel the pressure dissipate. At that point when a sufficient amount of blood has drained, I will inject a dose of this serum(activation serum!) to help accelerate the tissue repair in that area. Lastly, I will suture the incision I've made and start you on a strong intravenous drip of antibiotics."

quote:

Gear:
  • Scalpel(hand, precise, 1 Wt.)
  • Adventuring Gear(1 uses, 1 Wt.)
  • 2 Antitoxins
  • Activation Serum(0 uses, 1 Wt.)
  • Deactivation Serum(2 uses, 1 Wt.)

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Dr. Galen, the man thrashes at you as you push him onto the bed. "YOU'RE NOT A DOCTOR! GET AWAY FROM ME!!" A nurse summons several of the corpse-draggers from outside to help you hold the patient, their dirty hands smearing across clothes and bedsheets. You inject the antitoxin and make your incision, allowing the swelling around his face seems to go down.

"AAAGH! STOP HIM! WHY WON'T YOU STOP HIM???" The patient hasn't stopped screaming, and you look up while wiping your forehead to notice that everyone in the ward is watching you, whispering amongst themselves. You inject the activation serum into his neck, but the effect isn't what you expected. First, he starts bleeding from the eyes - just teardrops at first - then the vessels in his eyes rupture, red branches spreading through the white. He starts seizing, and blood-spittle foam leaks from the corners of his mouth.

Mark XP you poor bastard. Did you use Adventuring Gear? If so what for? It probably wasn't necessary unless you're digging the scarcity. Either way, you're losing him! What do you do?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Gurgle
Load 8/11 | 4/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

Gurgle wipes off the last of the snot with one of the Priceless' outrageously fluffy towels, and waves the children good-by with a gleeful cackle. "Oui, cértainement, this will do," he says in response to Corky's offer to play dishwasher. "A fair trade, I think. Take care you don' breathe the fumes too deeply, mon ami, or you wind up like me! Bahahahaha!" He slaps the cook on the back and leaves him to his work. "You a good man, Corky. (sniff) Take care now. We get 'ese folks to the surface safe, and you 'an me have some serious coin comin' our way."

Of course, Gurgle has no intention of playing babysitter to a bunch of enfants terribles; not when there's Science to be done and half his business associates are off making the alchemical discovery of a lifetime. He heads for the Priceless' main cargo holds, intending to supervise the passenger loading and start putting out a little advertising, before he heads off to take some samples of those fascinating domes.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | 4/10 XP

"Oh... that's not right, er..." Galen stammers awkwardly, legitimately surprised by the man's adverse reaction.

Spout Lore: 2d6+2 10
'The Activation Serum must be reacting with the fungi causing its own proliferation. Duly noted.' Galen postulates before quickly withdrawing Deactivation Serum from his robe.

The injection is made quickly to the carotid artery opposite the recently bled and sutured one. Galen then readies a benzodiazepine serum from his possessions should the Deactivation Serum also not act as expected.

On my adventuring gear I figured I had been using it for medical supplies not implicitly covered, but I'll defer to your ruling on that.

First-Aid; DD(INT): 2d6+2 12 2d6+2 6
Remove 'dying' debility? with all three hold, cut open my hand like a chump? Sorry for the mess of potentially unneeded rolls.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Cyrus
17/17 HP, 1 Armor, 7/10 XP

Cyrus curses as his harpoons go all over the place. This is going terribly. First the thugs at the wrong place at the wrong time, then the weird, non-functional golem, then the stupid harpoons. This was supposed to be the easy way up the building! Well, Cyrus still has a few tricks at his disposal. While the thugs are still laughing, Cyrus takes out one of his flashbangs and lobs it into the middle of the group before covering his own eyes.

-1 flashbang.

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Gurgle, it won’t take Corky long to wash clean up your supplies, especially with your modded beer putting a pep in his step. You pass by the children jumping on Mr. Quartz’s old bed on your way to the cargo hold, making a dreadful mess.

You find the hold nearly full with survivors, about 20 or 30 people. First Mate McBaitfish manages to inform you that the sub will have to go to the surface soon, or the oxygen supplies will be depleted. Gustav is not here, he’s organizing the next batch of survivors, though they expect him back in short order. The survivors look frightened but hopeful, even through the moist, dripping mud covering their skin. The mudflesh potions had an unexpected side effect for all the survivors who took it!

What do you do?

Dr. Galen, a strange greenish secretion branches out across the man’s face from his eyes and nose, until you inject the Deactivation Serum. His breathing slows, and the green stuff turns brown, drying up and flaking away. Your anti-fungal regimen takes hold and saves the man’s life - he’s stabilized but unconscious. The attentive crowd breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Elder Broadside shuffles over to you from his gaggle of black-robed ancients. “You have done well to save this man’s life, Doctor. Perhaps your presence here is a boon parallel to the calamity this evacuation is sure to bring. When Warwick returns, where will our community be? On land?” He shakes his head, muttering to himself. “No matter. I heard what you said - there is a fungal contagion here? This was a problem before the Sink… We had medical supplies coming to us from the research sector. They took delivery at the docks, or so I heard… But then everything went to hell. If you can recover those supplies, we can suppress this infection!

You may be about to respond when someone taps you on the shoulder. It’s baker-cum-nurse who exacerbated this outbreak! She has a remorseful look on her face as she points to the the graveyard men carrying a few occupied hospital beds over. “I-I’m sorry again. We-we’re setting up a quarantine for the patients I… I… It’s all my fault!” She trails off, her eyes brimming with tears.

Don’t mark XP or your Adventuring Gear for that last one. What do you?

Cyrus, your flashbang sends the surprised gang into hysterics. They cup their eyes and scream, shouting indiscriminate threats while staggering around trying to lay hands on you. The little slickster was facing the other direction, but the golem caught a faceful of flash - the two rough chunks of softly-glowing glass in its face crack, and the golem roars, spraying gravel in a wide arc!

It staggers clumsily, wheeling about, shaking the fragile structure you’re standing on! But the little guy doesn’t give up - he tugs and tugs on the harpoon until finally it pulls free! The golem crumples, dissolving into component pieces. The slickster hits the ground gripping the harpoon - but Fitzl’s Stolen Heart isn’t in it! You catch sight of the orange orb smashing through the glass of one of Building C’s windows - and it’s gone!

What do you do? Defy Danger to avoid being caught by staggering slicksters if you make for Building C.

Ramona & Bishop, the building starts to shake, and the man who spotted you earlier falls into the stairwell doorway! As he pulls himself to his feet, he spots you through the debris and pulls a pistol-grip device from an ankle holster. He takes aim through the debris!

What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ramona de Sahagún
26/26 HP, 3 Armor, 9/14 Load, 7 XP,

Ramona shatters the glass shard against the debris trying to throw it at some mook.

Volley; damage: 2d6 3 1d10 1

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ramona, the glass shard slips in your hand, slicing through your glove and deep into your palm. Ouch! The shard shatters against the debris in the hallway - not hard enough to dislodge any of it, but the guy at the end of the hall gets spooked. He squeezes the trigger on his device, and a little round object launches out, ricoheting off the walls, ceiling, and forest of debris. Just as suddenly, it stops a few feet from your head, latching onto the wall. A little red light blinks on its face.

Take 6 damage. What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ramona de Sahagún
20/26 HP, 3 Armor, 9/14 Load, 8 XP,

The fighter jabs her knife through the dry wall, pirouettes to cut a circle around the stickybomb, then side kicks a disk sized chunk of wall with an embedded bomb outside and away from her and Bishop.

DD strength: 2d6+2 9

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas

The crowds affirmation of the patient's stabilization allows Galen to have a sigh of relief himself.

"Thank you kindly Elder Broadside, but where is it exactly that Warwick will be returning from?" Galen says holding his hands together as he leans in curiously, slowly tilting his head like the bird he resembled.

When the nurse draws his attention Galen turns expecting the worst, but much to his surprise a very desirable thing had happened.

"Oh, there, there. This is perfect!" he says before correcting himself, "Well not quite perfect, or all that desirable, but it could be much worse. Are you certain the blade only touched those patients? If so, that greatly increases our chances of isolating the contagion. You're overworked and probably exhausted, do not worry. Get some rest. We will all do what we can."

The doctor does his best to reassure the woman before returning his attention to Elder Broadside.

"This is most excellent news, Elder! The docks you say? What would be the quickest way there? In any case, I'm sure I'll need to reconvene with my associates, for it might prove too dangerous for me alone."

---

After conversation concludes with the Elder, Doctor Galen redirects his attention to those quarantined by the robed workers. They undoubtedly were on the verge of needing treatment themselves. Handling the dead, the sick, the infected...

'If I'm to treat all these people or at least stabilize them in a timely fashion, I'm going to need assistance and supplies..."

DR: 2d6+1 6
BOO!

HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | 4/10 XP

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Gurgle
2 Ingredients | 3 2 Potions
Load 6/11 | 4/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

I updated my character sheet and dropped 2 load from losing that volfom gas.

Gurgle wanders through the hold, impressed at how well everything seems to be going. "GOOD WORK!" he yells over the din. "KEEP IT UP, BAITFACE! ONCE THE NEXT BATCH COMES THROUGH, TAKE 'EM UP! I'M LEAVING IT IN YOUR HANDS!" With that, he squeezes through the press of dripping bodies, tossing back his last little flask of mudflesh before he jumps out the airlock.

Down the hatch! = 8
• That’s your last dose of that potion. Cross it off until you can brew more.
potions of mudflesh (glutinous, aquatic, diluted)

By the time he makes it down to the dome proper, it looks like Dr. Galen is already looking for him. Much as he'd like to head out in the field again, some problems just can't be ignored. Like people dying. "Ever'thing okay down here?" he asks, surveying the crowd dispersing from around one bed in particular. "Looks like you need a hand, urrrp. You got one. I got somethin' might be good for this; a lil' experimental serum of mine. Mutagenic. On'y problem is...I maybe not so sure what it does to folks already been mutated some." He holds up a tightly-sealed steel vial stamped with the standard Alchemists' Guild hazard sigils. "An' there's hardly enough for one person righ' now. I think we needin' some more supplies, n'est-ce pas? We take care of this, 'n then you'n'me cure their plague an' get our names on a plaque." He grins his froggy grin. "Lez' go."

Aid Dr. Galen = 9
That DR's a 7-9 now! :woop:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas

:slick:
Thanks Alumnus Post!

quote:

DR: 2d6+1 6 + 1 7
What here is useful or valuable to me?
(for the immediate stabilization of the patients while we go get the supplies.)

"I agree with you Gurgle. I too require reagents, I think with your Mutagenic and my deactivation serum, we may be able to facilitate a controlled repelling of the fungi by accelerating the rate of decay in the polyclonal antibodies these people have produced. However... if things do go unexpectedly, I'm sure we will be able to save them! Plaques indeed my friend, plaques, prestige, and warm fuzzy feelings." Galen says laughing from behind his plague mask.

To the docks!

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Bishop
HP: 20/20, A: 1, XP: 8/9

Bishop drops down on one knee and prepares to return fire, but the sliding panel that hides Bishop's mini-turret gets jammed!

Operate Machine: Laser: 2d6+2 5

XP Marked

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ramona, your knife and foot make quick work of the sticky bomb, sending it flying straight out the window! A brief orange glow and sharp report indicate a small explosion. It would've been more than enough to knock you on your rear end, but the shaking caused by the blast only knocks you into the debris. Unfortunately, a bent piece of rebar, slips through and catches on your armature, right in the middle of your back - you can't move!

What do you do?

Bishop, sliding cover on your shoulder only jams for a moment before it pops free - but something's wrong with your targeting system, and the turret pops up backwards! Your laser fires into the mixed debris of the ruined bedroom, and in a few moments it's a blaze of linens and furniture. To make matters worse, it looks like the mohawk guy has slotted another disc into his launcher, and he's taking aim right at you!

Fire bad! What do you do?

Dr. Galen, you fret about the quarantine zone, trying to explain everything to the nurses and doctors in attendance, until Gurgle shows up and convinces you that field work is more your specialty. The personnel here will not allow the patients to die, although they won't be able to improve their condition at all. And you still have doubts about their ability to contain the infection... Nevertheless you set off for the docks!

Gurgle, you reach the good doctor without any trouble - the mudflesh potion doesn't have the same adverse effect on you as it did on the slummers, although the snot drip you're experiencing gets considerably thicker. The slum docks and commerce district lie under the northwest corner of the dome, about a fifteen minute walk along the demarcated pathway.

However, as the two of you pass by the now-unattended corpse pile behind the hospital, you notice something strange - two long, bouncy antennae extend upward from the pile, and something seems to be rooting around in it. Coming around the pile, you finally see it - a large yellow and black bug-looking thing, tipping a whole corpse back into its gullet! As the poor dead man's foot slides out of sight, the bug notices you and raises its front claws, emitting a shrill shriek!

What do you do?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Something Else posted:

Cyrus, your flashbang sends the surprised gang into hysterics. They cup their eyes and scream, shouting indiscriminate threats while staggering around trying to lay hands on you. The little slickster was facing the other direction, but the golem caught a faceful of flash - the two rough chunks of softly-glowing glass in its face crack, and the golem roars, spraying gravel in a wide arc!

It staggers clumsily, wheeling about, shaking the fragile structure you’re standing on! But the little guy doesn’t give up - he tugs and tugs on the harpoon until finally it pulls free! The golem crumples, dissolving into component pieces. The slickster hits the ground gripping the harpoon - but Fitzl’s Stolen Heart isn’t in it! You catch sight of the orange orb smashing through the glass of one of Building C’s windows - and it’s gone!

What do you do?
Cyrus

Cyrus watches with horror as Fitzl's heart is sent flying. That thing is worth a fortune, not to mention all the trouble he went through to take it in the first place! There's no way he's going to just lose it like this. Cyrus leaps into action, easily dodging through the gauntlet of blinded thugs, rapidly scaling the crappy rickety tower that they built, and followed a leap of faith across the giant gap they were originally gathered around. Those stupid thugs couldn't have made it across, but he can, thinks the fishman, as he contorts his body in midair into an aerodynamic, but uncomfortable, position.

DD Dex: Run through the blinded thugs, scale the rickety tower, and leap through a window: 2d6+2+1 8

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cyrus, you sail through the vacant window frame, leaving the dazed slicksters behind and landing in a kitchen cluttered with strange appliances and trash. The Heart isn't long lost - it's on the living room carpet, smoke billowing up around it. The carpet is badly singed but not on fire yet, and oddly enough, the Heart seems to be sinking into the floor.

What do you?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ramona de Sahagún
20/26 HP, 3 Armor, 9/14 Load, 8 XP,

With an easy, practiced motion, Ramona unbuckles the backpack to free herself then runs at the reloading enemy with her knife, ready to expend a charge of air when she stabs the mook with it. She leaves the useless tools behind, but not without a frustrated order.

"Put out this fire or you've killed us all."

Hack and Slash; messy damage: 2d6+2 8 1d10+1 11

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Cyrus

While keeping an eye on the progress of the heart through the floor, Cyrus frantically searches the kitchen for something that can safely hold the heart. Something like a pressure cooker would be perfect: built to hand a lot of heat and pressure, and definitely not 'natural' enough to activate the heart's magical powers.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 11
What here is useful or valuable to me?
What is about to happen?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Gurgle
2 Ingredients | 2 Potions
HP 18/18 | Armor 1 | XP 8 10/9
Load 6/11 | 4 3/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

Spout Lore on the bug = 6 :pseudo:
Gurgle swears and leaps back from the monstrous insect. "Sacre BLEU! What on earth is zis thing!? Doctor, you ever seen 'is before? Get me somethin' to pacify him with." What a fascinating insect...and with a good broad back, too. Maybe if he just...

Gurgle digs about in his pack and produces a weighted fishing net, then casts it at the big bug's face and leaps on his back, grabbing for the creature's antennae! Time to hold on tight...
(CON) Defy Danger = 5 :frogdowns:

Two XP and an Adventuring Gear marked. I'm not sure where to go from here with Gurgle's next advance, but I'll try to produce an actually-finalized version of Alchemist soon.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | 5/10 XP

Aid(Gurgle): 2d6+1 6
"Oh my! I'm afraid, I've not seen anything like this. Though I'm quite certain it is moderately terrifying in this instance." Galen says before slowly backing away from the insect.

DD(DEX): 2d6+1 6
The Doctor is too alarmed to move away and inches backwards slowly caught in a mix of awe and terror.

We're back to this! :shepface:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Ramona, you leave your weapons behind and advance on the mohawk guy with fists balled, your lithe, unencumbered body slipping past the debris easily. You lay into him with a well-aimed knockback blow, but he manages to get a shot off at point blank at the same time. This next disc must have been meant for Bishop, because it latches onto your chest and delivers a powerful electric shock!

Your weapons are attached to your armature, right? Isn’t that the whole point of your signature weapon? Anyway, take 4 damage.

It would have disabled some of the android’s systems, but you’re partially insulated by your diving suit so it merely stings and causes you to seize up briefly. When you come to, the mohawk guy has a jagged pipe sticking through his sternum and he’s spitting up blood. He flexes his jaw, croaks his last, and expires.

What do you do?

Cyrus, you root around in the trash and manage to come up with a container a little larger than an ice bucket, with the word ‘Compac-cinerator’ printed on the side. Likely another one of Warwick’s miraculous inventions, you infer that it’s used to crush and burn garbage - it should do the trick for Fitzl’s Stolen Heart. Speaking of which, the Heart is melting its way through the floor pretty quickly, so you’ll have to get it contained fast before it falls into to the room below. But look out - the Heart is still super-hot, so you can’t just pick it up without hurting yourself.

What do you do?

Gurgle, you fling your net over the monster’s back and climb aboard, but it doesn’t seem to like being mounted much! It screeches and bucks before pivoting sharply - you lose your grip and go flying! You land hard, sustaining a few bruises to your backside. The bug stands in between you and Dr. Galen, and you watch as it spews up some acid onto the net, which starts to dissolve immediately!

Take 4 damage. And remove your Alchemistry debility - Corky cleaned your gear (though he may not be happy when he finds out you ignored the chillens). What do you do?

Dr. Galen, as if this acid-spewing, corpse-munching insectoid isn’t horrifying enough, you near the brink of sanity as the water of the nearby false shoreline (used by ships for docking, and apparently maintained by the dome’s pressure) breaks, two more long, striped forelegs pulling a second bug to the surface! It shrieks back at the netted bug at it rustles itself dry, then skitters over to pour more stomach acid onto the heavy metal net. Ye gods, it’s disgusting! It’s almost too much to bear! Your legs want to run, but… but…

Defy Danger to maintain the mental fortitude to stand and fight! Then, what do you do?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Gurgle
HP 18 14/18 | Armor 1 | XP 10 11/9
Load 6/11 | 3/5 AG
-1 Alchemistry ongoing

"Uff--!" Gurgle slams against the hospital wall with an ugly clang. He huffs and pants for a moment or two, trying to get his breath back. "Urrggghhhh." He levers himself to his feet with the aid of his fishing spear. Seeing Dr. Galen clearly a little out of his depth, he says "Doctor! Snap out of it 'n help me! Kill 'em, or tie 'em down, but do something!"

Ugly memories of past fieldwork in the Fatdjinn swamps flit through his head. They all laughed the last time he botched a hunting expedition, but it won't be happening again - not when there's lives (and a lot of coin) on the line! "C'mon, you ugly putain cafard!" he hollers. "I'll mount your head on my wall! URRPPPPPP!" Gurgle inflates his throat sac and looses a resonating amphibian battle-cry! Without further ado, he charges fearlessly into the fray, jabbing and poking at joints in the netted bug's chitin with his fishing spear, just barely out of range of the creature's great thrashing limbs. Maybe he can at least buy some time for the good doctor to get his wits back.

(STR) Hack and Slash = 5.
Orokos has got to have it out for me. RIP Gurgle and Galen! :shepicide:

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 26, 2014

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Ramona de Sahagún
16/26 HP, 3 Armor, 9/14 Load, 9 XP

Ramona blacks out a little, and not how she likes to. The lights come back on for her just as they flicker out for the shooter. Idiot. Would've gotten a mercy blow if he hadn't knocked her out like that. She pries the disc from her chest and tosses it away, then tries to get up to go back to get her tools. Make sure that rebar didn't mess anything up. Then it'd be time to keep ascending. The way things were going she wouldn't be surprised to see that Lopence was actually the ringleader of these gangsters, and that Bishop's fire had met with some gas pipe and the whole building was going to blow...

Defy Danger Con (tazed): 2d6+2 6

The tubes can feed charges into the knife, but it's detachable because it's useful without compressed air and designed to hold a charge. The bolt pistol isn't on either count. If that's too much I guess I'll have to buy a backup weapon.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas

DD(Wis): 2d6+1 10
'GET YOUR WITS ABOUT YOU GALEN, YOU ARE A DOCTOR FOR SCIENCE'S SAKE!' Galen's inner voice shouts snapping the doctor out of his stupor.

Spout Lore(Weird Bug Mutant): 2d6+2 5
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 0 | 6/10 XP
The doctor manages to come back to his senses, but struggles to identify anything remotely useful about the creatures physiological makeup or origins.

"Gurrrglleee! I think we should scramble elsewhere, chap."

Using sublime understanding of the body Precise Incision to:
Precision Incision: 2d6+1 9
Make the bug monster dizzied and unstable

Galen moves closer and frantically lashes out against the chitinous armor of the creature striking anything that might deter the creatures pursuit.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Gurgle, your battlecry is as loud as it is wet & sticky, spraying the bug with a chunky nasal mist. It chirrups at its partner in delight - apparently mud-snot is the perfect gravy for mashed corpse! With the help of the second bug, the first one slips out of your net and scuttles over to the gravyboat - you!

Your fishing spear can't find a soft spot before the bug swings its thorax down to swallow you whole! The inside of its mouth is warm and wet, and thousands of tiny arms pull you down towards an acid pit littered with dissolving corpse parts. Suddenly you're caught, your spear stuck perpendicular to the bug's saggy maw. But your grip is starting to slip - those tiny arms are relentless!

You'll have to Defy Danger to hold onto your spear, get it inside, or avoid the acid - what do you do?

Ramona, your blackout may only last a moment, but it feels longer for you - in fact, you see something that you'd swear was a dream if it didn't feel so real. You're in a white room that looks like a smithy crossed with a kitchen, full of tools mounted on articulated arms and racks loaded with glass vials containing unknowable fluids. There's a red light flashing behind frosted glass, and there's an alarm going off somewhere.

You hear a faint beeping and a whoosh, then an intense, mustachioed man you vaguely recognize rushes into the room. Behind him there's a man you definitely recognize - it's Bishop! But he's dressed in an impersonal uniform and holding a dangerous-looking modified crossbow. This Bishop seems to have no curiosity whatsoever - he hangs back and stays silent.

The mustachioed man makes a beeline for you, stopping on his way to swing a metal case onto a steel table and pry it open savagely. He stalks over to you, looking you right in the eyes, rumbling, "I'm sorry, my darling." He goes over your head to fiddle with something. Your POV shifts down, and you hear a sound like water filling a bottle.

When the man's face comes back into view, he's staring revently at a glowing blue vial that, oddly enough, looks to be empty. "I need this for something else." He gingerly shuttles the vial to the case, closes and locks it with care, and returns to kiss you on the forehead. "I'll be back for you." He lingers but a moment before he scrambles back to the metal case, and hauls it towards the door. Sgt. Bishop leads the way, and they disappear as everything fades to black.

When you do come to, your Bishop is right where you left him - and he's seemingly transfixed by the spreading blaze!

That's fine, I just wanted to make sure I was clear on the fiction. What do you do?

Dr. Galen, your sense of pathological duty compels you to pin these beasts for proper study! Inflamed by your resolve, you actually realize something that hadn't occured to you before - the newcomer is slightly larger, with more exaggerated features than the first bug. It must be a female!

Tell me about another terrifying ability possesed by the female!

After Gurgle goes down the hatch, you dart in and deftly slice one of the female's long antennae. It screeches and begins to stagger, its many legs becoming tangled in the partially-destroyed net. Meanwhile, the male has a frog in his throat, and he's having trouble keeping it down.

You've got an opening against both of the bugs - what do you do?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Something Else posted:

Cyrus, you root around in the trash and manage to come up with a container a little larger than an ice bucket, with the word ‘Compac-cinerator’ printed on the side. Likely another one of Warwick’s miraculous inventions, you infer that it’s used to crush and burn garbage - it should do the trick for Fitzl’s Stolen Heart. Speaking of which, the Heart is melting its way through the floor pretty quickly, so you’ll have to get it contained fast before it falls into to the room below. But look out - the Heart is still super-hot, so you can’t just pick it up without hurting yourself.

What do you do?
Cyrus

A quick look at the Heart's progress through the floor leaves Cyrus dismayed. It's sunk so far in that he's not sure how he could ever dislodge it. And then it hits him. He doesn't have to stop the Heart from falling to the floor below--he just has to be there to catch it when it does fall. There's not much time. The Heart looks like it could fall at any minute! Cyrus takes off, Compac-cinerator tucked under his arm, heading for the apartment building's stairs. He gracefully hops onto the banister and slides right down the spiral staircase to the next floor down.

Cyrus makes it to the appropriate apartment and scans the ceiling. He can see the Heart: it's almost completely melted through the ceiling and is about to fall! Cyrus dives, Compac-cinerator held outwards, just as Fitzl's Stolen Heart begins falling through the room. And with a loud clang, the Heart falls perfectly into the Compac-cinerator. Cyrus slams the lid down onto the device, then twists the lid, locking it into place. Cyrus holds the Compac-cinerator up, squints at it, then grins and tells it "Nice try, Fitzl, but you won't be getting away quite so easily," before stowing it in his pack and making his way through the building.

DD Dex: Get downstairs fast enough to catch the Heart: 2d6+2 12

If I'm understanding things right, I believe I'm now in the same building as Ramona and Bishop? If so, I'd like to try to find and meet up with those guys. If not then, uhhhhh. I dunno. Also I'm gonna be gone for like a week so I can phone post but orokos posts are gonna be a pain.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cyrus, you easily hop across the crumbling wreckage in the stairwell and surf down the bannister. Radical! And you make the catch - double rad!!! I don't know if you know anything these kinds of appliances, but after you twist on the lid, you hear a hum growing louder and louder, until the red indicator light turns green with a DING! You think that's pretty neat and start to leave, but hold on - you can still hear a hum. Turning around, you finally notice a bulky laser defense turret set up near an elevator that looks like it was custom-installed. And turret's about to discharge a blast. At you. Eek.

You're in the same building, for sure. I can do rolls for you if you want, just tell me what you're trying to trigger and any bonuses so I don't gently caress it up. What do you do??

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Dr. Galen Von Zieglas

After lashing out against the females antennae, the specimen staggers revealing its underbelly and egg sac.

quote:

Tell me about another terrifying ability possesed by the female!

Several pods of various size are stored in a translucent sac fixed to the lower abdomen. An evolutionary adaptation along those lines would allow her to easily detach the brood in the event of an emergency. Any pupae would likely be eradicated from the shock, but some larva may be able to survive and undergo premature metamorphosis to their adult form.

Galen rushes over to the male that had Gurgle in its gullet and quickly makes a piercing cut into its mid abdomen, and then slice at the antennae stalk, curving the blade into its base hoping to do some nerve damage.

Precision Incisions: 2d6+1 13
Their muscles are weakened or strained
They are dizzied and unstable

Then he grabs Gurgle's froggy feet and begins to gently tug on his companion.
"I'll get you out of there!"

Aid(Gurgle): 2d6+1 9
+1 Forward

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Gurgle
HP 14/18 | Armor 1 | XP 11/9
Load 6/11 | 3/5 AG

Gurgle's bravado evaporates with astonishing speed - this is not the end of the food chain he wants to be on! He stares down into the bug's cavernous stomach and howls with terror. "Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaauuugghhhh!! Get me outta here! Gemmeouttahere!" He bucks and thrashes like, well...like a frog in its throat, but to no avail. His descent arrests temporarily against his own wedged-in spear, and, as it creaks with strain, he reaches in desperation for his canister of axtail-lichen tonic. The hermetic seal still holds, stamped with the strictest Guild warnings to never let it come into contact with necrotic flesh - like the contents of the bugs' stomachs, or the pile of corpses they've been feeding on.

Fortunately for every body involved, Dr. Galen springs into action before Gurgle adds a class-2 mutagenic containment excursion to the list of things the Aqualanteans are going to have to deal with. Gurgle's flailing legs whack the good doctor across the face a couple times before he can get a good grip, but his yanking and Gurgle's slime-lubricated wriggling combine to pop the frogman out like a cork from a wine bottle. He hits the ground with a wet stringy slap, his fishing spear still stuck in the bug's gullet, and thoroughly coated in fluids even more revolting than his own beery snot.

Defy Danger +DEX = 6 aided to 7! Thank goodness! :buddy:

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Cyrus

Cyrus walks out the door of the apartment, trying to figure out where that weird humming noise is coming from, when he spots the laser turret. He barely has time to react before the turret fires, but manages to duck backwards and scramble behind a pile of rubble, all the while cursing loudly.

Cyrus has gone up against a few extremely basic turrets before, limited only to the most heavily guarded vaults. But they were all triggered by pressure plates or tripwires, didn't really do much in the way of 'aiming', and certainly weren't advanced enough to fire lasers. He isn't sure what to make of this newer, more advanced model, but the basics should still apply. There's a few ways to deal with turrets. Cyrus usually prefers to avoid triggering them in the first place, but it seems that it's a little late for that. He's left with trying to figure out how to stop it from firing, or how to get it to fire at something that isn't himself.

DD DEX to avoid the initial shot, I think it should be a +3. And then a Spout Lore on the turret, or turrets in general. Should be a +2 iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009
Bishop
HP: 20/20, A: 1, XP: 8/9

Bishop, clearly unsure of what he should do, watches the fire as it starts to spread. The only thing he can immediately think of is trying to survey the area for anything useful.

"Do you see anything useful over there?" he calls to Ramona as he starts to search.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 10
What here is useful or valuable to me? (In regards to putting out the fire)
What is about to happen?

• Locked thread