Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, oath to paint this Perry Miniatures WW2 Universal Carrier Mk. I and crew. 28mm, metal and resin, using them for Bolt Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Oath complete!

Final shot with a completely unnecessary timestamp, since I missed speed painting by several hours:

WIP shots for the Inquisitor's Journal:

Basecoat

Followed up with some basic ink washes

Highlighted back up with a drybrush and added War Department number decals

Sponge weathering with paint and brown wash

And the final assembled vehicle with the crew and stowage glued in place:

Bonuses attempted: Season 5iver, Inquisitor's Journal for May

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Yeah, I was assuming it didn't - it'd basically be a free point in month 1 if it did.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

SRM posted:

:pcgaming:OATH COMPLETE!:pcgaming:

I was expecting this to be boring because space marines and I could not be happier to be wrong. Love the retro 90s look, right down to the basing.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I have five 3e starterbox marines soaking in alcohol as we speak to get the layers of inept teenage paint off them so I can paint them in an appropriately retro style and it is entirely because of SRM.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Raphus C posted:

I have more than a handful of those awful mono-pose Ork plastic Boyz (not the presentable metal Boyz with character). I cannot see me painting them up, but still, part of me lusts after the challenge in knocking them into decent shape.

I don't see too many old school Orks about though. The Boyz were fun even if the vehicles looked like poo poo.

Mine didn't come with Boyz - I think that was 2e. Mine came with snapfit non-beaky marines and extra-fiddly Dark Eldar, who were the new army at the time.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

SRM posted:

The 2nd ed starter set was snapfit Mk 7. Marines and snapfit Ork Boyz and Grotz. The 3rd ed starter set was the same Space Marines that came in a multipart tactical squad kit, a land speeder, and 20 Dark Eldar Warriors. All of these models were the same as the ones that came in standalone kits, had multiple weapon options, and so on. The 3rd ed box was a crazy good deal; I've bought it 3 different times.

Looks like I've got some 2e starterbox marines, then - did they reuse those for anything? I know I have loads of really badly assembled basic marines from the 3e era.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

BirdieBedtime posted:

Gentlemen, a quick question: my standard priming method is black with an overhead spray of grey. If I'm reading the rules correctly, this makes the models ineligible to be oathed until they have a single-color basecoat, correct?

As long as I'm asking questions, can each model have a different basecoat? Say two red, one dark blue, and one bone? Or do all the models in the Oath have to start from the same color?

What I'd do in this situation, if you haven't primed them already, is oath them bare-metal. Black with an overhead spray of grey violates the one-colour rule. As far as I know, single colour is per-model, but I don't run the place, so don't take my word for it.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Daedleh posted:

I, Daedleh, Oath (most of) an Abyssal Dwarf army box set: 20 Immortal Guard, 9 Slave Orcs, 9 Gargoyles, 5 Abyssal Halfbreeds, 3 Obsidian Golems (one missing an arm).

All made by Mantic, 28mm Fantasy.

Well, that's one way to get the golems to rank up - I'm using 2-slot trays sized for three from Warbases.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, hereby oath to paint these six Infinity minis (an Ariadna starterbox), 28mm, by Corvus Belli, in the month of June.

These bases aren't staying - I foolishly glued them to the bases before I knew what the theme was.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I'm not familiar with the US/Canada situation, but where I am it varies by carrier. Still, you usually only have trouble if it's an aerosol or otherwise potentially hazardous. Check your carrier's rules on shipping liquids, and whether varnish falls under any specific regulations besides that. Should be on their website.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
:siren: Oath Addition! :siren:

I realised I should probably show before pictures of this stuff, so here we go. I, muskets, hereby add to my oath for June these six bases made out of junk I found in a drawer.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
:siren: Oath complete! :siren:

Going for the Journal and Box Art on this one, so that should net me Double the Fun too!

Image reference for the Box Art:

And, as a bonus since I had the pic, here's my oathed mini from last month In Battle!

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

krushgroove posted:

I reviewed the CN (double action) and TRN2 (trigger double action) models of the Neo airbrushes for an RC car magazine, and I was pleasantly surprised by them. For the price they're actually pretty good, the only niggle I had with them was cleaning the threads of the interchangeable paint cups. The trigger one is really comfortable as well, but the threads keep me from using it regularly. It'd make a great basing and priming airbrush though.

My main brush is a CN - the TRN2 looks really nice, though it's a lot pricier too. Is that just the trigger mechanism, or is it an overall better unit?

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, hereby oath an early-war German command group (three models), mortar team and spotter (four models), Sd.kfz 251 half-track (one model plus crew fig) and ten-man infantry team including a 2-man LMG team. All Warlord Games, 28mm, for Bolt Action.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Indolent Bastard posted:

"I have a message. Lieutenant Colonel... krushgroove's plane... was shot down... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in ... there were no survivors."

Henry :cry:

...Does anyone do decent 28mm Korean War stuff? I suppose 15mm would do, but Bolt Action gets way more play than FoW here.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
:catdrugs: OATH COMPLETE :catdrugs:

Figured I'd go for backstory with these, if this isn't acceptable for being a fair departure from the usual stuff, tell me:

In an alternate 1940, Operation Sealion went ahead as planned in September. Despite strong opposition from the RAF and the Royal Navy, several platoons made it to shore in the south and east of England, where they engaged Home Guard and regular British forces in attempts to establish a beachhead for further invasion forces. These troops represent part of such a platoon.

Anyway, on with the pictures:

Command squad:

Mortar team and spotter:

Sd. Kfz 251 'Hanomag' half-track:

Infantry squad with MG34 team:

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Iris of Ether posted:

Okay folks, the entries should all be :siren: documented in the Spreadsheet for July! :siren: Check it over and make sure I haven't forgotten you for anything.

One undirected piece of feedback, as I don't recall who posted about it originally: I'm only giving credit for themed groups if all members of the group were painted within the same month. Hopefully that makes more sense!

Unless you can only qualify once, I'm pretty sure my Germans should count as a themed group.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, oath for the month of July these Foundry cowboys, including two on foot, two riders, and two horses.

I'm counting the riders as separate from the horses, as they'll be used separately - rider on horse for when a figure is mounted, but dismounted the horse without rider will be used alongside a foot fig.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
OATH PICTURE RETAKE

Hopefully this one's OK, Krushgroove - and sorry about the delay, I've been busy!

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
:catdrugs: OATH COMPLETE :catdrugs:

Journal is the pistol and rifle - hope I pulled it off OK!

Not sure if this counts as a Themed Group or not - hell, I'm not sure if that counts more than once.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

Slimnoid posted:

Do models that were heavily converted beforehand count? I've got an ork mek on a bike I plan to oath and he's cobbled together from a ton of random parts, with no progress shots done beforehand.

Actually nothing I could really oath this month has any before shots done, so uh. Yeah.

I want to know this too, I started on my Solaire conversion a few days ago like a stupid. It's still getting green stuff but the bits of other minis have already been attached.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
I, muskets, oath this thing I made.

Going for the journal - it's half Asterian Skyrazor and half Eldar Jetbike.

Skyrazor

Jetbike

I forgot to take pictures of the stuff pre-assembly, but, well, the Skyrazor was only released this month...

Edit: Skyrazor is Mantic Games, jetbike is Games Workshop, the whole thing's gonna be used for Deadzone.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
:vomarine: Oath Complete! :vomarine:

Not a huge fan of this, but given that I did most of it last night, I think it turned out OK.

Going for the Journal - it's half an Asterian Skyrazor and half an Eldar Jetbike, with the pilot reposed to fit and extra thrusters added to the sides.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Oath Complete

Journal: Headswap on sarg, and gun swaps with the special weapon guys including arm swaps with flamer guy.

Themed Group since they fit in my Nod guard army. Maybe when warzone comes out I will play that. If the rules are anything like deadzone I will be interested.

Double the fun!: OSL on the plasma guy, and all those tiberium/warp rocks.

The guys with GW weapons look like they're on some serious steroids, heh.

Warpath (Warzone's a whole other, much more metal-album-cover game) is by Alessio Cavatore instead of Jake, so I don't think it'll be much like it rules-wise. The earlier versions we're waiting on a replacement for were much more like Kings of War In Space.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Unexpected prizes are the best prizes! I'll take the brushes - Krushgroove, I'll be in touch with details via email.

And now I really must find something to oath for this month...

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Krushgroove, mailing address sent by email to the address you give on the wiki, hope that's OK.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Krushgroove, did you get my email with the details for last month's brush prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

These are the new Mantic Zombies. I am not a fan so far, but lets see how they paint.

The arms are awful, some are long chimp arms and others are little chicken wings. All of them have a crappy socket connection but none of them hide the ball well, so they can be photoed from one angle until you start seeing ball-socket. So far it is hard to tell what is clothing and what is skin, maybe it does not matter that much since you will paint it all, but it's a bit frustrating trying to figure out what I am looking at so I know what color to paint. Also the heads are a pain but not as much as those arms.

I think the big mistake with these was trying to make them compatible with the old Kings of War zombies - Mantic've done a lot better with connections on more recent kits like the restic stuff. The weird anatomy is probably intended since they're Plague mutants gone wrong rather than the regular walking dead, but that does kind of limit their utility for other games.

• Locked thread