Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also it says Mantic on the sprues :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

finally got my immediate painting queue cleared out, let's do this

:getin:I, JerryLee, oath that I will paint six Druids of Orboros:getin:

In case anyone doesn't know, these are 28mm models by Privateer Press.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

For this month's Jurnal, do you need to post each progress shot as you take it, or can you wait and post them all at the end?

I was planning on doing the latter but I see some folks doing the former so I thought I'd clarify.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren:OATH COMPLETE!:siren:

First my WIP pictures for the Jurnal:

I laid out the shoulder pads first because I thought I might do the gold areas with drybrushing. This worked in the past on the very fine detail of Kaya and Morvahna but proved not so ideal on these larger details and curved surfaces. I ended up lining the gold on manually. If I had to do it over again I'd probably do the gold later.

Here most of the areas have had flat color laid down and some preliminary highlights. Ready for washing.

Basing material has also been painted and most of the washes have been applied. The second round of highlighting, as well as other touchup work, remains.

The completed oath!

I went for Box Art on this one; here is the reference pic

Doing the jurnal and a one-time bonus gets me Double The Fun

And, of course, almost by default these are a Themed Group

See you next month :tipshat:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Where's the link to the S5 spreadsheet? I don't see it anywhere in the OP.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:woop: I, JerryLee, oath to paint for the month of June: :woop:

:getin: One Trojan Swordsman, two Basti Gamers, one Demigod of Hades, and one Bronze Owl
:getin:

All are 28mm scale models by Crocodile Games

The owl is on a different, large base because I'm planning to use it as a marker rather than a unit. I'll be going for I Rolled a 6 with this. :)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I think zenithal priming could be allowed for basically the reason Leperflesh laid out--it's still just a spray prime job. If anything, a zenithally primed model is farther from its finished appearance than the example of colored primer, which we do allow. If someone is using an airbrush to start picking out individual details on a model and calling it zenithal priming, it should be disqualified, but I think it should be reasonably obvious when that happens.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I, MasterSlowPoke, am oathing a converted Wyrmgear (Reapers Bones 28mm):

What is this going to be? My instinct says Maulerfiend.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Jurnal is the bronze owl on a Blasted Wastelands resin base by Secret Weapon Miniatures.

The owl is also I Rolled a 6 as it's intended as an objective marker rather than a unit.

Finally, I thought the owl would be a good choice for Speed Painting as it was pretty simple, and so it was:

the black splotch is when I needed to add some more black lava after priming, it all got basecoated over anyway, I hope this is okay

Wow, this little guy did a lot of work for me this month! :buddy:

Edit 6/26: Added more (better?) pictures of the four humanoid models.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 26, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

e: never mind, did not refresh thread, sorry

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint for July:

Five Games Workshop Space Wolves :black101: and three Wyrd Miniatures Terror Tots :devil:

All are approximately 28-30mm

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH (SUCH AS IT IS) COMPLETE

Jurnal is the glow of the volcanic ground on the Terror Tots. Same idea, technique and army as I used for last season's OSL jurnal. :effort:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:vince:

If you don't win awards this month then there is no justice in the world.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Between nearly burning out last month and anticipating a possibly busy month ahead, I'm going to be deliberately unambitious with my oath obligations. That being said,

I, JerryLee, oath one Golem by Reaper (28mm)

Although the mini is named "Stone Golem," mine will end up being some sort of metal golem instead. A NMM golem, to be precise. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Jurnal is, hopefully obviously, the entire thing--he's an NMM gold (or some yellowish metal) golem!

If anyone's curious, I used the tutorial here as my guide, substituting brands of paint but otherwise following it to the letter. I don't think I did it justice, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised with the way my own model turned out.

Speaking of which, since this was so simple (color-wise) it's probably a good month for a Parts List, in pictorial format:

The illegible VGC bottle is, I'm 99% sure, Heavy Siena.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Schmetterling posted:

dang. That's nice.

Thanks, that means a lot. :)

Iris of Ether posted:

Maybe I can strip the metal one.

At $2.99 or whatever it is, you should buy a third rather than stripping :getin:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

Oath Complete!

Welp, gently caress me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Games Workshop Thousand Sons Space Marine

He has a backpack made from the parts of two different ones spliced together. I started with these two models of pack:

The top vent assemblies from the loyalist pack on the right were sliced off and put on the Khorne Berserker pack on the left, resulting in this:

I cleaned it up a bit more before putting it on the model and priming it

This will be my Jurnal, obviously, so let me know if it's not going to pass muster.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

After an embarrassingly long time for a single space marine, :siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Jurnal is the backpack as shown in my oath post.

Why is this Thousand Son partially Chaosified, but still wearing his pre-Heresy livery? Here's a Backstory to explain!

It wasn't a good time to be one of the Thousand Sons. The Primarch had gone off to some meeting or another on Nikaea, which the Legionnaires whispered amongst themselves boded no good. Ahzek Ahriman had started taking an altogether creepy level of interest in those brothers suffering from the flesh-change. The Space Wolves were giving them dirty looks from across the battlefield. And as if these ominous tidings weren't enough to have on an Astartes's mind, the whisperings from the Tutelaries had started to get downright... bizarre. The psychic familiars had always whispered benevolent warp-whispers into the Sons' ears, but now they were starting to offer advice on matters outside of their usual domain. Suggestions about fashion, of all things.

"Your warplate should be more ornate," their oily whispers hissed into the Legionnaires' auditory centers. "Have the artificer put some pointy bits on it." Or: "Put this flaming eye insignia upon your armor; it will bring you great power."

Brother Rutentuten of the Pavoni had humored his Tutelary so far, even when it suggested that he should install an impractically unwieldy headdress on top of his helmet. After all, the other members of his squad were doing it. And to be fair, it did seem as though it magnified his psychic powers a bit.

But when it told him to get his backpack modified so that the vents jutted out on long struts, he drew the line. That idea, he decided, was simply too ridiculous. The Tutelary had to be pulling his leg.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

I know you have your reservations about the bolter also being red, but it's such a pure, smooth, unblemished red all over the model that I think you won out in the long run. I'm jealous!

Some of the wires and cabling could use some color though, to help break up some of the monotony.

Thanks, coming from an amazing painter like you, that means a lot. :) And yes, I agree. It's stuff I'll work on and maybe revisit this model down the road, but I'm considering the oath done for this month. I've had to be pretty conservative with how I allocate my modeling time lately.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

That is a STORM giant I will have you know.
:goonsay:

Also, gently caress, I missed another month D:

It is a giant from their Bones line.
:goonsay:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I really dig the idea of using the Sanguinary Guard masks for a small group of Thousand Sons. In context it perfectly conveys a sort of ritual, occult mystery.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

What exact definition of charity is the journal using? Could I do something for a group that's primarily about activism rather than just funneling money to practical ends? Just curious; I haven't come near settling on something yet.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

krushgroove posted:

Activism is fine too, I don't want to have to judge what's a charity and what isn't!

I figured it'd be laid back about it but I'm the sort that likes to make sure. :v: Thanks!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Monoliths posted:

Bonus Jurnal Point - JerryLee

A very fine example of a totally monochromatic scheme that doesn't look like it's just a model painted a color, if you know what I mean. It's helped out by the base, but also the shading on him suggests reflection convincingly enough to give you an idea of what kind of world or lighting situation he's in. The color choice is excellent, too.

Wow, thanks, I'm really honored! I considered it one of my better efforts for a jurnal but of course that didn't mean there wasn't a ton of competition.

Of course, as I said in the original oath complete post, I more or less followed a guide to the letter :v: but still, happy with the outcome.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

First of all--wow, thanks to Germ for giving me another judge point for my Jurnal! I liked that mini, but I'm pleasantly amazed that multiple people seem to have such a high opinion of it!

That being said, it's time for me to finally oath up for this month!

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Games Workshop Sanguinary Guard, in 28mm, for the month of October

The original jump pack has been replaced with a random metal one from, I think, an old Chaos Raptor. Not that it matters for the Oath, just heading off any weird looks.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE!

Can you guess which cause I dedicated this guy to for my Jurnal?

I was going over the various groups that I wanted to support, and came across this logo. The Statue of Liberty crown + face reminded me of this particular Sanguinary Guard helmet, so off I went. I ended up sticking pretty closely to the monochrome bluish look with some white for select details. It both made this a relatively simple basecoat + wash + minor highlights job, and ended up giving it a pretty cool otherworldly vibe if I do say so myself. The terrible freehanding on his chest scroll is supposed to say "LIBER."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

What the gently caress 'eye monster', it's a beholder you unwashed savage.

I do believe this may be one of those cases where they have to call it something else because somehow 'beholder' isn't generic yet. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Well gently caress me.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Chaos Obliterator by Games Workshop

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Not my proudest effort, but it'll do. And yes, I wimped out and painted rather than drilled the gun barrels because gently caress trying to drill those metal bits deeply enough to look good. :shepicide:

JURNAL is the hopefully visible gray stubble on the erstwhile Astartes's scalp and jaw.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Galaspar posted:

Had no idea what to oath this month, so time to kitbash some chaos marines!

For December I oath five Chaos Space Marines

What's the body/legs in the middle from?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Was hoping some bases would come in for a specific project this month, but time is running out, so it's time for a stopgap oath.

I, JerryLee, oath to paint this Games Workshop Chaos Space Marine

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Oath Complete

First try at a Black Legion model and it's about half stuff I'm happy with, half stuff where I very obviously just went :effort: with the deadline closing in and RL on the horizon.

Jurnal is the scorching on the melta barrel. Usually I do that effect with washes, this time I tried a drybrush-based method instead. It looks all right but I think I have some more practice to do with it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

So until midnight 1/1/15?

I would have assumed that by 'until New Year's Day' he meant 11:59:59 PM on New Year's Eve. In American Samoa, of course.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oath complete!

I told you this already but I really dig how the bricks worked out here--it really sells the impression of poo poo going flying, about as well as you could have without trying to gently caress around with wire armatures or something.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint for January:

1 Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marine
1 Chaos Space Marine Holding A Large Rock
1 Thousand Sons Sorceror

All are, naturally, 28mm by GW

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

OATH COMPLETE

Jurnal is the pseudo-hieroglyphics on the tablet being carried by the Anubis-headed marine. I'd also like to claim Fly your Flag for this (although Display your Rock might be a more literally accurate name) as it's supposed to count as a chaos icon in-game.

Close-up of the freehand, as well as the Thousand Son's shoulderpads, just because I'm inordinately pleased for some reason with how they came out:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Last year I did a space marine flipping the bird. It's really pretty open ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I, JerryLee, oath to paint nine skeleton archers and one mummy captain for the month of February

I'm going to have to make an oath addition for the model I'll be jurnaling with, as I need to get a mini from the store for it and driving anywhere today is contraindicated, but I want to get started!

And the download bar I stupidly left up on my screen is blocked out due to possibly containing information about my job. :v:

• Locked thread