Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

169% SPOT ON - but at least Roseville proper seems to be normal and I saw way more brave souls with Morse rather than McClintock signs in my area of 95661......up towards the hills, however............... :eek:

Denham is sponsored by the Gallo's and other actual billionaire "farmers", it was crazy it was even that close.

Roseville here as well. Every loving time I checked my mail, it was filled to the top with Morse ads. My McClintock vote was out of pure spite.

Keyser_Soze posted:

meanwhile.........out here in MagaChud country, Real Americans are flying Trump flags and anti-gay marriage placards in front of the Roseville Kaiser Med Center in celebration of Emperor Orange's defeat of the "Libtards."

I donated $20 to the Placer County Food Bank (via Raley's) to trigger them.

What time? I drove by Kaiser and saw nothing this morning.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids in Roseville have school off today and all of my daughter's soccer games this weekend have been canceled. Good. Too bad I'm stuck at work.

I don't follow this thread normally, but I'm surprised at the Gavin-bashing in the past few pages. As a gun-owner in California, I already don't like the guy and his Patrick Bateman smile, but is it a collective feeling that he sucks, despite basically winning in a landslide? Did he just spend the most in the primaries compared to the other Democratic candidates or something?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cool, thanks! It makes a lot more sense now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

God help you if you're a woman who dared change her name due to marriage or divorce, especially if you move your maiden name to your middle name.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

that's what CHP 11-99 foundation plates are for

Just lol if you don't have the 60s legacy plates. They're the sickest plates and the current white ones are loving gross.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Come on, no one ever stops at the agriculture check on 50 in Tahoe.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't think hilighting a policy failing at its purported purpose is a good argument for doubling down on it. California just passed Prop 63, and expanded assault weapons definitions, and new ammunition restrictions, and red flag laws, and various other gun control measures in the last few years, yet here we are.

It's almost like adding insane amounts of gun laws on top of insane amounts of gun laws don't actually prevent gun crime.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My daughter had a soccer game in Redding (5 hour round-trip driving for one single game, wahoo) on Saturday and you couldn't tell there was a fire at all. Air was just fine. I think the AQI was <25. Looks like it's 95% contained, with 600 acres affected.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Guns don’t kill people.
PG&E kills people.

Roseville electric rules.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I register as "no party preference." I swear in every previous primary election I had Dems and Independents on my ballot, but no Republicans. This year I had no candidates on my ballot, and my voter packet said I had to fill out a form and request a Democratic ballot, which of course I didn't see until yesterday.

Am I dumb or did they change how the party preference ballot works? Not that it matters, but maybe I could have pushed Tulsi to 0.8%.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

Congratulations you got voter suppressed

E: It was a big focus of the campaign to get the word out about this but voting is designed to be difficult in this country

Sweet!

Now who is doing the suppression? Who benefits from it in California of all places?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

Of course the plague originated in Placer County.

:thunk:

What's wrong with Placer? Just because it isn't bright-rear end blue? I live there and enjoy it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, got news that my son’s high school is preparing to move to the teach all classes online at home phase.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My daughters have a figure skating competition in loving SF this weekend and they haven’t canceled that poo poo yet. Ridiculous.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Yeah I would skip that.

Not me you have to convince :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zuul the Cat posted:

My wife & I went out to target this weekend in the Fullerton/Anaheim area to grab some essential groceries. Maintained distance as much as possible from other people, washed our hands after & wiped everything down. There's been a significant drop in traffic in my area. Businesses are taking closing seriously, no restaurants are open to the public, the streets are fairly empty. Even target was mostly empty.

I have to go out every day due to my work being essential (healthcare), so I'm able to gauge traffic somewhat. There's been a major drop.

The worst spot I've seen it at is my apartment complex, where groups of 10-15 children are gathering to play, smokers are gathering together to socialize and folks are just kinda hanging out.

The park/playground in my neighborhood must have had 50 people/kids there yesterday. It was pretty wild.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Kids are pretty much sick of being at home all day and a park is a nice way for them to get infected run around and burn off some energy.

Totally, but it's just wild to see parents let their kids run around a million other kids when there's a pandemic sweeping the world.

My 10yo totally had a meltdown because she couldn't sleep over at her friends house. She understands why perfectly well, but after a week of being stuck in the house, all of them are getting stir crazy. Thank god breweries in my area are selling to go cans or delivering or I'd be going bonkers too. We've been passing the time by doing a lot of family board game/video game/movie nights, but that only works for so long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My phone and watch keep getting repeatedly blasted with Nevada County emergency messages to stay home.

I live in Placer County.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Hi,

Why are car dealerships open and people looking at cars?

Drove by the Torrance auto mall or whatever and every dealer was open and I saw a few different people looking at cars.

What in the ever loving gently caress....

I ran by a Quick Quack car wash that was open today. Not very essential imo. Although, I guess I’m glad those people have income and don’t really come within 6 feet of customers except the person taking payment.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm literally refinancing as we speak and it's amusing to think that I could be signing papers in 3 days in which I promise in writing and witnessed by a notary to pay a mortgage payment that I do not, in fact, have to pay.

I'm in the market right now to buy and my loan person said the rates are fluctuating between low 3s and high 4s randomly these past few weeks for a 30-year fixed. It's wild.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My kids school just got canceled through May 1. Which is great, but man if it isn't tough keeping them all on task for their online classes while I try to work from home and mom still having to go into work because she's essential. Like, actually essential, not car wash essential.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LtStorm posted:

I'm in Roseville; the Safeway I go to told me last Saturday they had to give me new bags at no charge or I had to bag stuff myself.

I'm in Roseville too and I swear I saw something about Placer and a reusable bag thing, but clearly I didn't pay too close attention to it. I've been trying to do Walmart pickup instead when I can get a pickup time slot. They're still charging 10c a bag it seems. They also stopped requiring a signature on pickup.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

quote:

As part of its plea agreement, the company agreed to pay a $3.5 million dollar fine and an additional $500,000 to cover the costs of the investigation.

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

Cool, now I get to pay more for my gas to cover their cost of killing people.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Fuckin :lmao:

quote:

A federal judge on Tuesday approved the company's $59 billion reorganization plan. That plan includes settlements with insurers and local governments as well as $13.5 billion in settlements to victims of wildfires for which PG&E was responsible. Half of the settlements to individuals, however, will be paid in company shares instead of cash, after which victims would own almost 21 percent of the company, That could expose survivors to future liability, The Wall Street Journal reports, if the company once again ends up facing criminal or regulatory penalties for failing to make good on safety commitments.

Did we end up killing your loved ones? Here's a few shares of our company.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wife works for the CA dept of public health and the whole contract tracing program has poached a ton of her key employees, making it super hard to do her job. And on top of that, the furlough days coming in July. Thanks Gavin!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

are the furloughs official yet?

Hers start in July apparently.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My local hockey rink has been open for a couple weeks now. They're talking about bringing back leagues soon too. Gonna be great when one person spreads that poo poo like wildfire.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I honestly don't know what the gently caress they expect us to do at this point. My family has stayed socially isolated since the first order came in. We haven't gone to work, we both submitted a hold order on our tenure clocks because it was irresponsible to continue research and have people in our labs. We taught our classes online with screaming children in the background as we hopelessly tried to keep three young girls entertained while they slowly developed social disorders from not being able to play with anyone else besides the household. And apparently none of it did anything. There are more people infected in Riverside than there was when all the schools closed and I had to essentially become a full-time parent who still needed to work an 80-hour week. The UC Riverside is ramping up research and telling us to get back to work when there is literally more danger than there was when they closed us down. But no actual loving schools or summer camps are open and my youngest daughter literally begged me to send her back to school two days ago and has repeated the request every even since. Meanwhile half of their friends have been having family parties, going to the pool and ignoring the shelter in place order and thus have not being socially isolated to the same degree that my wife and I apparently foolishly inflicted on my kids.

We've signed them up for a child facility that is open anyway today, because gently caress it. It's not going to be any better by August 10th when the public schools MIGHT open, and you cannot ask people to cut themselves off when there is no obvious advantage to it anymore. We're still wearing masks. We're still staying out of restaurants, and bars. Our labs have sanitation stations, staggered shifts, and contact tracing sheets. But none of that matters if I can't let me kids go meet other humans in person.

Sorry to vent. But poo poo just kind of fell apart the last few days when I realized that the behavioral issues of my younger daughters were entirely a result of my wife and I forcing them to not be able to play with other kids while also not being able to pay enough attention to them because we still need to work.

EDIT: Yes, yes. I know this is a Wendy's drive-thru.

EDIT2: Closing the schools completely was literally the worst thing to do. The place I'm sending my kids has been open the whole time and has had zero clusters associated with it. They implemented protocols immediately that limited student interaction outside small "pods", kept parents out of the building, and otherwise maintained good pandemic protocols. This lines up with the report NPR just released a day or two ago, showing the YMCA and other places that stayed open during the shutdowns were NOT sources for new infection clusters. We should have taken a month off from school and then implemented "pod" social interactions where groups of children could return and interact while agreeing not to interact outside those pods. Instead every parent got told to keep their kids isolated, and some of us listened while others just ignored the advice and YOLOed the last 3 months.

I feel this loving post deep in my bones.

I’ve got 3 older kids 10-14 yo, and they’ve all become complete and total lazy morons with no common sense anymore. I had to explain to my 14yo how to wash a spoon with a sponge, for 10 whole minutes. Something he’s done a million times in his life already. All they want to do is sit in front of a screen because they can’t hang out with their friends. Their spring sports were canceled, so it’s a struggle to get them to do anything active. The 14yo runs high school cross-country, and he just wants to wake up at 3pm and sit in front of his computer. By the time he’s “ready” to do his training run, it’s 102 degrees out and pretty drat dangerous to run 8 miles in and complains the whole time, rightfully so. Normally, they’d have practice at 6am when it’s like 65 out.

The 14yo has pretty bad ADHD (and probably on the spectrum somewhere) and a 504 plan through school, so anything that’s not insanely structured is next to impossible for him. He needs a set schedule and deadlines to meet or else he can’t organize himself. Telling a kid like that “here’s a bunch of assignments and some are optional and may or not be graded and if they’re graded we might give you a letter grade but we might just give you credit/no credit, read this to figure out how to do them, and turn them in next week, ready set go” is the worst possible way for him to learn. The number of times he’s come running in crying his eyes out because he forgot a 2-week engineering CAD project is due in 2 hours that he hasn’t started yet is staggering. He can’t stay organized without the structure that actually physically going to school provides. And the wife and I can’t keep up with literally every single assignment across the 3 kids as well as keep up with our own work and general house upkeep.

If you’re thinking “well that’s just lovely parenting, ya goony goon,” my wife and I both work full time (from home at the moment). We both got promos this year, so a lot has been expected of us. We have been insanely fortunate during these times that we even have jobs, let alone actually received (way overdue) promos. It’s hard as hell to break away from work every 6 minutes to make sure everyone is on task doing their school work and chores and generally not being complete dickheads to each other. And every time I’m in a call, I get kids coming in every 14 seconds asking for screen time, whining that they can't hang out with friends even though all of their friends are getting together, or arguing that it’s not their turn to do the dishwasher.

We just moved and that’s been a nuclear disaster to try to make time to pack and unpack.

And like you said, everyone else’s family lets their kids YOLO and hang out and go to pool parties and while my wife and I said gently caress no. We finally relented a couple weeks ago and let each kid have a friend over. I think we finally accepted the fact that we can’t just completely lock down and expect our mental health to remain just fine. It’s about calculated risk. We’re not going to bars or breweries or concerts, but the risk in letting the kid have a single friend over is small enough in our eyes to justify the mental health benefit.

Oh, and through all of this bullshit with the older kids, I forgot to mention that we also have 15mo twins that demand almost every minute of our attention. Try keeping an ADHD kid on task in remote school or even waking up before 2pm with 2 crying toddlers. Now, we have also been extremely lucky that they're in-house (not ours) daycare remained open, and with a wink wink nudge nudge "if they shut down in-house daycare, they can always come over and see 'grandma' during the week." Thankfully it didn't come to that, but having the twins home, everything my wife and I could possibly make any semblance of progress on is ground to a halt so we can take care of them. By the time their bedtime rolls around around 8:30p, we just want to flop down on the couch and zone out or sleep because we're so loving exhausted, both physically and mentally. Meanwhile, our garage is filled with moving boxes that still need unpacked.

I hear your post loud and loving clear and couldn’t agree more with it.

If everything gets locked down again, there’s 0 chance we lock ourselves in a bubble again. No we’re not going to massive social gatherings, but a friend or 2 here and there won’t immediately get a nope answer. People need social interaction that isn’t over FaceTime or Zoom. Even my wife and I were getting stir crazy and finally said gently caress it a couple weeks ago and had a couple friends over for a beer just to feel somewhat normal again. Our ONLY silver lining has been that our new house has a pool. It’s probably been the only thing that has been saving our sanity.

e: Yes, moral of the story, don't have kids, especially during a pandemic.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 26, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sorry man, that sounds really difficult :(

You guys probably already know this, but making lists of stuff to do REALLY helps when you have adhd. Some people find it useful to work on multiple assignments during one work session also. I knew a few people with adhd that would study by having multiple books open. Of course, things are different while on meds though.

He's been on meds for like 8 years and still won't ever remember to take them in the morning unless we hound him for 30 minutes while he's still in waking up mode, or force feed them to him. And if he does, by some miracle, take them, we'll later ask if he took them and he can't remember. If he doesn't take them, he's an absolute disaster, which sounds terrible.

He's definitely a list person, but he'll check 5 things off at once, do one of the 5, then forget to do the other 4 and whoops he's been watching youtube for 4 hours. He needs a list, but definitely needs checked in on regularly to make sure he didn't forget anything.

Anyway, I didn't really mean to make this into a pity party post, but man this poo poo is taking a toll on everyone in my family, myself included, and I'm usually the calm collected one of the family. Just wanted to let Zebra know that he's not alone.

HelloSailorSign posted:

My kid is telling people that the parks are closed because we don't want people to catch the sickness, and they're 3. They actually do rather well wearing a mask.

One thing that's been hitting my wife and I hard has been them asking to see their grandparents. Half are local, so we relented and have been doing some outside hangouts (though with rising cases in our area recently, we've been having talks with the older folks about risk now), but the other half are further away and with worse comorbidities. The kid asks about once a week to go see them (at their house! they insist) and I have to say we still can't, and as someone who had/has poor relationships with grandparents I have worked hard to reverse that for my kid but this whole thing is making it difficult again!

The kid's also been at daycare for about a month now after it closed up back in March, but again, cases in our area are rising so we're probably going to take them out again. I can work from home so it turns into a, "do work any time wife is home or kid is asleep and you might keep up" thing but then it becomes the same day to day thing every day. I managed that for almost two months, but it was rough and I started feeling in a rut, for lack of a better term.

Yeah, my parents just flew in from across the country and were an absolute massive help. They'd watch the twins while we got catch-up poo poo done around the house. It was immensely helpful and wished that we didn't live 2000 miles away. They're scheduled to fly back out here in September because flights were cheap, but with that curve shooting skyward, who knows what's going to happen. I'm glad they got their visit in when they did. Meanwhile, my sister lives near my parents (and 'only' has 2 kids), so they see them all the time. It's tough.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I sympathize with all the parent goons in this thread, and don't take this as criticism, but people shouldn't be having more than two kids, both for their sake and the planet's. Preferably just one.

You're not wrong, but as any parent would say, I wouldn't trade any of them for anything. My twins (my first kids, the other 3 are my step kids) have completely changed everything I've ever thought about kids.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

BeAuMaN posted:

Man I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family get through this.

Is the 14 year olds school work being done through some special software or mainly through google docs?

It's been rough, but we'll get through it. Thanks man.

They have like 45 different portals, one for each different class. It's pretty infuriating actually. But for the most part, the 14yos assignments are indeed in Google Classroom/Docs.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only food place that's been strictly enforcing it around Sac seems to be whole foods lol

Lots of places in Roseville have a masks required sign. Costco, Walmart, Chando’s tacos, etc.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So I wanted to just pop back in here to thank the various other parents who posted after me to share their feelings. I honestly went to bed that night thinking I had made a stupid post and expected some light ribbing in the morning. Your support and good posts helped me out a lot, and helped me get my priorities in order.

I ultimately chose to enroll my two younger girls in a summer school/program that is still open and my older one is going on these weekly field trips now with people her own age where they spend most of their time outside. After a few days of this I can honestly say that it was the right decision for everyone's emotional and psychological well being. The kids are upbeat and happy for the first time in months and my wife and I feel rested and able to focus on getting tasks done now that we're not trying to act as playmates AND parents.

Schools need to re-open. Especially elementary schools where the children need some type of supervision (so parents can't just leave them at home to work). The harm these shutdowns are doing to children is going to last a generation. I was listening to NPR about two weeks ago, and one of the whispering news-readers casually mentioned that LA Unified School District had lost track of some ungodly number of children. These were kids that were not showing up to or turning in online classwork and who were no longer even coming in for free meals. These are obviously mostly poorer, POC, or other marginalized groups that do not have the resources to keep their kids on track AND also go to work to stay fed, clothed, and housed. For these groups, schools are more than just a place for education, but lifeboats that keep children afloat. A chunk of these kids might never come back once the schools reopen (WHEN?). My own experience talking to students at UCR is that the shutdown literally made some of them homeless. They didn't have houses or families to go back to, and were living on campus or nearby housing because that was the lifeboat they had managed to grab onto. Others came from abusive homes and have been unable to keep up with online classwork in the hostile environments they now find themselves in.

But lets leave emotions aside here. Let's look at this from a purely pragmatic point of view. From reading lots of articles and talking to many people, I think these two assumptions are held by almost everybody:

1) Online learning is impractical, pointless, or even harmful as a means of teaching most K-12 students in the United States.
2) Sending children back to school during the COVID-19 pandemic would require massive changes to the class sizes and structures to prevent them from becoming hotbeds for infection.

Most people take assumption (2) and decide that sending children back to school is impractical, but in doing so they are saying that assumption (1) apparently does not matter, or that we have to choose between two poo poo sandwiches and keeping schools closed is the less lovely sandwich. I disagree. If we start by saying "Children NEED to return to schools.", then the problems brought up in assumption (2) are not telling us to stop, but rather to ask, "HOW can we structure schools to accomplish this?"

"How many new buildings must we quickly get built?"
"How many new teachers do we need to hire?"
"What sacrifices are we willing to make to fund this endeavor?"

This is what I mean when I say that our leaders have been feckless and incompetent. This is why I reject the notion that simply "preventing deaths" was any kind of success within this shutdown. We closed things down in March. We accepted that we might lose the rest of the Spring 2020 school year, but that gave 5 months before the new school year starts in August. We had 5 months to start mass hiring teachers. We had 5 months to start building new schools, or start turning building into schools. Five loving months to make a plan besides "Maybe this disease will go away by August."

Instead local, state, and the Federal government have discussed cutting funding to education to make up for budget shortfalls. Newsom is just as guilty of this as every other governor. I listened to his speeches in March. The idea that schools needed to be restructured was there as early as the first week of the shutdown, but nothing was done.

Ultimately money to change our school systems would have to come from somewhere. Ideally a competent Federal government, led by a strong President and a willingness to print money to make it happen. In the absence of that, Gavin should have started by saying "Education NEEDS [this much money] to achieve a re-opening by August, now what can we cut to get there?" and then worked from there.

We just got an email from our district yesterday letting us choose what of 3 options we want for our kids. This is a choice, not a vote, so they plan to implement all 3 of these.
1) Go back full-time, 5 days a week to your regular school.
2) Hybrid, 2 days a week in 1 of 3 designated schools in the district, 3 days of home learning. My kids would not be going to their own school if we choose this, as our school is not a designated hybrid destination.
3) Full online.

My wife and I discussed it between ourselves, and also with the kids later. We all said "absolutely gently caress the full-time online classes" option. We've did that for 3 months and well, my experience was documented in my previous post. Absolute disaster for learning, and also for mental health.

We both felt that going back full time (#1 option) is the best for both learning and maintaining mental health. The kids get to see their friends. Classrooms will most likely be reduced by at least some marginal amount due to other parents picking hybrid (and going to another school)/full online. I figure that if some kid is infected, they're going to spread it to classmates regardless of whether you go back 5 days a week, or only 2 days a week. You're still coming in contact with an infected student either today or tomorrow, it doesn't matter. Sure, there's a chance they may catch it during a home school day, but basically no one is going to test their asymptomatic kid. Once they start showing symptoms, they've probably been spreading it for a week or whatever. The only way to avoid this is to do full time online classes.

Originally, the kids wanted to do hybrid, but after thinking about having to go to a different school and probably never seeing their friends again, they came to their own conclusion that #1 is probably the best. Not to mention, at the hybrid school, they will also have all the full-time kids there as well, thus increasing numbers at the schools designated for hybrid destinations. They also didn't like the idea of getting stuck with some random district teacher rather than having class with someone they already have a relationship with, and their older siblings already had experience with.

For my oldest, the ADHD kid, anything online would never work, even if it's only a couple days a week, as has been proven already. It's hard enough when the wife and I are working full-time from home, but when we go back, he's going to sleep in until 4pm and never get anything done.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Our local facebook pages were blowing up with Karens trying to pinpoint all the illegal fireworks, and a 911 dispatcher replied and said "yeah stop calling us to report them, we have bigger fish to fry and are already stretched thin."

That said, they were fun to watch and I even had babies sleeping by 9pm that didn't budge.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So, uhh, when the school district for 2 of my kids offered 3 options: 1) full in-school, 2) hybrid, 3) full online, they anticipated most people choosing 1 or 2. After this week, it looks like kids won't be able to go back to school to start the year for the first semester or so. The school district just came out and said "oh hey, we anticipated most kids picking 1 or 2, and we can't afford to put every student on the full online learning program, so we reject the motion to start the school year with all students online, sorry."

.... :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Wait, they are rejecting the new mandate from today?

Do they lose funding then?

No they had some online program (champions academy or something) ready to go through a vendor. They can’t afford it for all the students so they’re going back to the half-rear end poo poo the teachers threw together as a last-minute emergency measure like the end of the last school year. It’s some galaxy-brain poo poo.

e: Roseville elementary/middle district.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 18, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2 of my kids started online middle school today.

They had Champion's Academy lined up as the platform, but when Placer county got placed on the watch list, everyone had to go online. They said "lol oops we can't afford this platform for all students, so uhhh, bbl."

Last week, they announced they were using Otus as their new platform for all students. 30 mins before school starts, the servers predictably had a nuclear meltdown and no one could log on for a couple hours. The teachers had to email out direct links for their Zoom meetings instead of using Otus to post them. Also predictably, some students (none in my kids' classes) forwarded the emails out to all their friends, so the class Zooms got carpet bombed with constant swearing and porn.

One of my kids' teachers sent out an email that said basically "ya know what, gently caress it, see you tomorrow, hopefully it'll work then. I hate 2020."

My highschooler starts on Wednesday and we had him try to get up at 6:30am to get back into the schedule. He woke up at 3:30pm.

Mom and I started drinking at 11am while in our own work meetings.

Going real well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Seeing dry lightning here tonight in Sac. 109 tomorrow.

I've never seen anything like this here so I guess we're at the confluence of 'more heat' and 'more tropical storms' aspects of climate change.

The storm was loving amazing in Roseville. It's been a LONG time since I've seen one that awesome. Lightning lit up the whole sky.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think thunderstorms are in my top 3 things I miss about living in Ohio, alongside lower COL and cooler guns.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Welp, one of the front office staff at my son's high school just tested positive after 3 days of school, so they made the office staff go remote for a while.

Not sure how some people expected to bring back 1000+ kids to campus to be totally cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got a nice layer of ash all over my yard this morning in Roseville from the Grass Valley fire.