Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Disregard, wrong thread.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Let's face it, she's going to be voting on the Senate floor from a freakin' hospital bed when she's 102 :negative:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

sincx posted:

What would it take for California, New York, etc. to try for succession?

My guess is a Constitutional change/convention that goes horribly awry.

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody is going to secede in the next 50 years.

Agreed. Unless the GOP does get ahold of enough state legislatures and is crazy enough to call a convention, and then all bets are off. Frankly even I don't think they're that crazy, the current system is working too well for them to want to change it even if they did take over enough states.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I was under the impression that the mass transit funds to speed up the Purple Line construction for the Olympics were already appropriated and ready to go via the success of Measure M? :shrug:

Either way, I think we're screwed thanks to the Trump visa stuff revealing us to just be politically unstable on immigration to the point of madness, but the IOC also seems to be floating the idea that they'll award the 2024 and 2028 Olympics simultaneously so they can avoid the embarrassment of everyone dropping out as they see the price tag, so who knows? (The IOC won't do that in the end because all the 2028 candidate cities would be unbelievably pissed, but it does seem to signal desperation.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Lemming posted:

Press release about the economic study just went out http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org/new-findings-sb-562-would-cut-state-spending-on-healthcare-by-18-percent/

Here's the actual thing http://www.healthycaliforniaact.org/wp-content/uploads/Pollin-Economic-Analysis-SB-562.pdf

So if you have any gently caress head representatives who lie and say they're totally in support of single payer but they're just concerned about how we're gonna pay for it, you can tell them "with a tiny tax that's more than offset by reductions in healthcare spending you traitorous mother fucker"

This is loving delicious.

And holy poo poo look at these socioeconomic benefits :eyepop:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

It sucks for disabled people waiting for the bus otherwise, especially outside of a 7-11 or liquor store. People will lie on benches and sleep all day, and the disabled people waiting for the bus have nowhere to sit. Lose-lose really. Make enough of a stink about the hostile design benches and most municipalities will probably fix the problem by simply removing the entire bench entirely which I have seen done when they remodeled train/bus stations :shepface:

I love seeing bus stops where they clearly just put in the absolute bare minimum despite serving incredibly busy routes. :shepface: Like maybe a simple canopy and that's it. Or just a post planted in some grass with nowhere really to even stand without getting in people's way.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

droll posted:

Who replaces Newsom?

After expiring, Pelosi's and Feinstein's staffs run a joint ticket and take turns having their corpses wheeled out on a dolly for press conferences.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Muir posted:

What are people's thoughts on why our cost per mile is so much higher?

The NYU Transit Costs Project just delivered a report on why smaller scale subways tend to be ridiculously more expensive per mile in the U.S. that you might find interesting. My main takeaway from their conclusions as it’s relevant to HSR is a lack of standardization and centralization of rail projects means that we constantly have to start from scratch when it comes to building up the institutions that can then deploy rail. If you’re constantly getting ready instead of staying ready (to paraphrase the immortal Chi Chi DeVayne), then you’re effectively creating bespoke solutions that are always going to be more costly than say if we had a U.S. High Speed Rail Authority that had built up expertise and staff over decades and had optimized the efficiency of technology development and deployment.

The other reality I haven’t seen mentioned is the funding + inflation problem: the need to constantly go hat in hand to fund projects and/or wait for funding before you can begin work on the whole project’s actual construction reduces project efficiency as inflation quietly gobbles away at your spending power. Each time overrun thereby produces compounding cost overruns which then means waiting for more funding which means - etc. CA HSR still doesn’t even have the next tranche of funding it needs to even complete the project, so it can only plan and execute so far into the future before it’s running on pure hope that full funding materializes. Not efficient fuel for project construction.

EDIT: Oh, and don’t forget that each time you need to pass the hat you look more incompetent AND the number of dollars you’re asking for has gone up by an inevitably inflated degree which seems extra scary and will always produce a more hostile political environment for your request. Which means more delays.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 6, 2023

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Oh what happened to that dude. Last thing I saw was him getting into a rumble on camera.

Ironically he’s pulling a Feinstein himself and is refusing to leave office until the end of his term while activists occasionally crash his events/presentations in protest.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pelosi continuing the Dems’ literal death grip on the worst communications and optics strategies known to man if it means anyone in the party has to make a single personal sacrifice for the greater good (I.e. having to retire in your 80s instead of having a coterie of suck-ups orbit your walking corpse).

From what I’ve heard from my DC insider friends the rhetorical justification is allegedly that the Dems don’t want party leadership changes at such a crucial moment. Which is another way of saying the members of the status quo prefer the status quo indefinitely, since every political moment is crucial. :shrug:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 8, 2023

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BeAuMaN posted:

California loves setting overly complicated tests with expansive bureaucracies and seizing them on the public. It's.... California's style? For smog if we accept that the California approved Catalytic Converters are necessary to somehow save the environment, they probably don't need the complicated system that they have to make sure that you're not one of the few who are trying to trick the system and pull one over on California.

The smog test is an especially egregious example because you can’t just pass the smog test, you need to have your vehicle “check engine” light clear the whole time as well. The last time I had to get one I sunk over a thousand dollars in repairs to resolve a stuck valve and ran three smog tests before the last one finally stuck, none of which had anything to do with my car’s emission levels. If anything could be more of a kickback to the auto industry…

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Just a note that we do have a thread entirely devoted to the topic of electoralism where we can discuss the inadequacies of democracy in America and whether or not the implicit social contract of democracy guarantees us at least one major candidate we like at elections (except for once in our lifetime) to our heart's content.

On the topic of California politics: the LA Times has been doing an in-depth multi-part series on the history of Latino political power in SoCal and the state that's been really interesting so far, as someone unacquainted with all the little details of political history in the region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

spacejung posted:

Firefighters are CHUDs for sure (especially leadership) and have been chudding it up all month in LA with their panties in a twist about how bus and bike lanes are a threat to our liberty:

https://la.streetsblog.org/2024/02/15/firefighters-oppose-l-a-city-safe-streets-initiative-measure-hla

This is especially embarrassing for everyone involved since LA Metro has officially set a goal of getting minimum average bus speeds above 15 MPH (crazy ambitious, I know) by the 2028 Olympics...and firefighters will be able to use bus lanes themselves.

With public servants like this, who needs enemies?