Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

A goon who does construction management (planning? I don't remember) once explained all the ways that construction is more expensive in San Francisco. One of them is that concrete mixers have to drive up from the Peninsula or across one of the bridges, and in either case there's a severe risk that the concrete will have waited too long to be poured. Another is the higher cost of transport in general, because delivery costs reflect the time it takes to make them. There were others.

That's true. When my company buys concrete for projects in SF it always comes from Oakland, Martinez, or San Rafael. Disposing of construction debris in SF is also vastly more expensive. We usually have to take it to Marin Resource Recovery because SF won't accept dump receipts from other recycling centers and Marin charges a fortune. SF also charges us per employee who doesn't have employer provided healthcare from us. It doesn't matter if they get it through their spouse's employer, we have to pay a fee to the city. Getting permits costs a ton in terms of labor costs because we have to send someone to DPH for an entire day because you just have to sit there and wait forever. That is, unless you pay a permit expediter. Parking for workers is also ridiculous. Did you know that you can't park workers in the spaces you reserve with a street space permit and that even if you're working on a large building, sometimes you can literally only get one spot for the vast number of trades and all their workers working on a project? Because of this, we sometimes have to charge a full day for 6 hours of effective work because people have to park in 2 hour parking and move their cars all day long. SF makes construction incredibly difficult.

I'm not in housing development, so I don't know what other things increase costs, but I'm sure they're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rah! posted:

there's a cement plant in SF itself. Is it more expensive than those others or something?

Cemex is generally more expensive, yes, and I've never bought from Allied. However, you generally only have a few days notice for when you need concrete, so you have to find the plant that can get it to you next Tuesday at 8 am instead of next Wednesday at 3 pm or you potentially have a work stoppage.

edit: Also US Concrete has purchased all of the smaller suppliers in the area which has driven up prices substantially in the last 5 years or so. We were getting significant cost increases yearly from them every year for a while. I'm not sure if we've gotten one lately.

Xenix fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 11, 2020

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I mean, the first line specifically says "if current trends hold" and that the mask mandate will stay in place. The current trends look really good (to me, a lay person who does not work in medicine or public health). Currently more than 40% of the state has at least one dose of vaccine (~18% with one dose, 23% fully vaccinated) per the state dashboard. I am having trouble parsing the vaccine uptake data they show, but looking at the 7-day average death rate from a month ago, we are at less than 10% of the daily deaths from a month ago (7 vs 80). New cases of Covid are down by about 30% from a month ago (5 per 100k population vs 7.2 per 100k) and 80% from 2 months ago (5 per 100k vs 26 per 100k). Test positivity is down about 30% from a month ago (1.6% vs 2.2%) and 75% from 2 months ago (1.6% vs 6.3%). All of these stats are either the best they've been (test positivity rates) or the best they've been since May of last year. I can understand why, if the current trends continue (and even if they slow down in terms of rate of improvement), opening might look possible in 10 weeks.

A month ago, I thought Gavbot was an idiot for saying that MLB would be able to have fans in the stadium on opening day. Now that opening day has come and gone, I would think twice about going myself, but seeing how California is behaving compared to Texas, I can understand why reasonable people would feel safe enough to attend.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Sydin posted:

Friend of mine lives in a "luxury" townhouse that was only built six years ago, and the place is more rapidly falling apart than my old place that was built in 1952. Visible cracking of the drywall where it meets the ceiling, tons of plumbing and electrical problems, and more. They just threw up something on the cheap, gave it a nice coat of stucco, and called it "luxury".

That's defective construction. It's a game builders play. They're on the hook (usually) for 10 years for any and all defective construction as defined by California Civil Code 896 and 897. They try to build just well enough that expensive stuff will last 10 years. Drywall cracking is almost certainly not shoddy drywall work, but rather foundation movement (and certain developers love to skimp on foundation recommendations and design).

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
It's a long drive and the central valley is hot

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

I imagine recycling glass was more about keeping glass shards off the streets.

A mind numbingly large amount of sand is mined in the world each year. Much more than the planet replenishes. I know much of it is for the construction industry, but I'm sure a not insignificant amount is for containers.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm a pizza guy and there's a few customers who keep saying I don't have to wear masks around them and it's annoying because it's a county health code requirement, I'm gonna do it no matter what, until they say otherwise. (at least, around customers- I'm around my coworkers too long and in too close of quarters for masks to matter)

anyway some annoying customer who never tips tried to give me the 'we're outside, why are you masked, isn't it uncomfortable' and I just told them I had COVID a month ago and they absolutely freaked out, jumped a few steps back and tried to make sure I didn't make the pizza (I did, but didn't tell them that). felt really good lol, that's what you get for being so persistently annoying.

I get this poo poo all the time. Part of my job is going to people's homes. I don't care that you're vaccinated and I'm vaccinated or that we're outside. I'm in contact with enough people that me wearing a mask makes me feel better about not passing on any respiratory illnesses, including covid. I used to try to explain it to people but now I just tell people it's company policy and I can't go into the office for 2 weeks if I don't comply. It's just easier that way.

Edit: and I get it, I don't want to wear the mask and you don't want to wear it in your own home and don't want to police masks, but drat

Xenix fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 7, 2021

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Fill Baptismal posted:

working out with a mask sucks

People who refuse to lift with a mask on are weak. People who do cardio at the gym with a mask on need to go outside.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Highbrow Slick posted:

I just wanna know when CA is going to decide whether or not to double the refund for aluminum, because these bags of crushed cans are strangling my back yard.

It's only been $0.05 since...the early 90s?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

My street in Oakland has been actively disintegrating for the past 3 years or so. Like multiple blown out 6+” deep potholes disintegrating. Like you don’t really want to drive down it disintegrating, and when you do you don’t go faster than MAYBE 10 mph. gently caress the greedy rear end Oakland A’s. I was a fan since I was a kid, and they’ve been playing stupid handouts-for-billionaires grabass for at least a decade or two without even a pretense of caring for the fans. Good loving riddance.

The Oakland public works department is a loving mess. They do, however, have a repaving plan (https://www.oaklandca.gov/projects/20225yp) you can look at and see if/where your street is on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
They did better than try!