Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Why I Hate Journalism And Everyone In It
By UKMT media correspondent Obliterati

Obliterati posted:

It's this really annoying thing that I guess the sub-editors are to blame for, what with it being the Grauniad. Take one line from a column, blow it up into something ridiculous, and then laugh as your readers discover that it's actually about the author judging the Bad Grammar awards, with a two-line anecdote about a friend pulling on a school trip thirty years ago. They do this with pretty much every comment piece they've ever run and it drives me up the wall because I still make the mistake of expecting a headline to be relevant to the subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
The Guardian's Comment is Free section is hilarious. Just an endless succession of clickbaity, badly researched articles shrieking about something or other with a bunch of comments ranging from "Right on!" to "You're retarded".

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I got a Conservative leaflet through the door and it promised "Action On Europe" but I can't even think of three things that are a problem from Europe. Immigration, Human Rights not letting us treat prisoners like American and... they aren't letting us act as the equivalent of a tax haven for finance? That's only one thing I can think the general public would care about for totally misguided and factually incorrect reasons. Apart from that no-one will know what else the EU does apart from that it costs some money.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Saki posted:

The Guardian's Comment is Free section is hilarious. Just an endless succession of clickbaity, badly researched articles shrieking about something or other with a bunch of comments ranging from "Right on!" to "You're retarded".

"Neanderthals aren't grunting, club-wielding idiots – we are."

"Not all waiters become dictators. Or Sandra Bullock."

"This cash for grouse scandal shows how Britain has become a plutocrats' paradise."

3 real, totally not made up comment pieces on the Guardian's CiF page right now this minute.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

That would be me and Lemondrizzle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I guess these are those "alarming noises" they were talking about?

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
The housing bubble isn't going to pop anytime soon, at least not without a really radical overhaul to the entirety of property and planning law in the UK. When people get all alarmed about the bubble 'popping' what they really mean is that it will stop inflating at its current rate, something that should be a concern for all those that invested in property as an actually investment, but this not something that is going to act as a deflationary pressure on house prices. Prices in London - at least within zone 2 - aren't going anywhere as they are being fuelled by international finance and will remain resilient against anything other than a total global economic meltdown/revolution. For the rest of the UK the problem will be if interest rates rise, threatening the profits of b2l landlords, who will probably panic and put up rents. None of those b2l landlords will be selling their housing thought because that would be to definitely to lose money. So really when the bubble 'pops' it will result in the stagnation of the market, not a crash. Sure this will have ramifications for the rest of the UK economy (bad ones), but housing isn't going to get cheaper anytime in the future and rents will probably rise even more sharply.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Saki posted:

I pretty much only look at the Culture/music section and that's gone downhill massively since the rise of clickbait. It's all regurgitated PR briefs, buzzfeed-style 'Top 5 songs about motorways' and pointlessly provocative things like 'why the Beatles are the worst band of all time' or whatever. it's been a while since they had a proper article that was a decent read.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Media Monkey is the best bit.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

vodkat posted:

The housing bubble isn't going to pop anytime soon, at least not without a really radical overhaul to the entirety of property and planning law in the UK. When people get all alarmed about the bubble 'popping' what they really mean is that it will stop inflating at its current rate, something that should be a concern for all those that invested in property as an actually investment, but this not something that is going to act as a deflationary pressure on house prices. Prices in London - at least within zone 2 - aren't going anywhere as they are being fuelled by international finance and will remain resilient against anything other than a total global economic meltdown/revolution. For the rest of the UK the problem will be if interest rates rise, threatening the profits of b2l landlords, who will probably panic and put up rents. None of those b2l landlords will be selling their housing thought because that would be to definitely to lose money. So really when the bubble 'pops' it will result in the stagnation of the market, not a crash. Sure this will have ramifications for the rest of the UK economy (bad ones), but housing isn't going to get cheaper anytime in the future and rents will probably rise even more sharply.

this is an interesting model of b2l landlord rent-setting behavior

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

On the subject of property bubbles The Torygraph has a translation of China's biggest property developer talking about their property bubble situation; http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027199/chinese-anatomy-of-a-property-boom-on-its-last-legs/

Anti-corruption measures leading to the elite offloading their ill-gotten properties at enormous discounts, facilitating the bursting of a property bubble. There goes our fake recovery.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
one either has a markup pricing model, or a profit maximizing model, but not both, and especially not half and half of each structured so that rents go up or go down no matter what happens

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

twoot posted:

On the subject of property bubbles The Torygraph has a translation of China's biggest property developer talking about their property bubble situation; http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/ambroseevans-pritchard/100027199/chinese-anatomy-of-a-property-boom-on-its-last-legs/

Anti-corruption measures leading to the elite offloading their ill-gotten properties at enormous discounts, facilitating the bursting of a property bubble. There goes our fake recovery.

I suspect that it's quite a bit easier to hide a house in London from the Chinese authorities than one in Beijing or Shanghai.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

I suspect that it's quite a bit easier to hide a house in London from the Chinese authorities than one in Beijing or Shanghai.

Chinese owned property in London isn't the thing, it's that when China's property bubble bursts it could have an enormous negative effect on the world economy.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Why I Hate Journalism And Everyone In It
By UKMT media correspondent Obliterati

Sadly my whole knowledge of how news works comes from Private Eye.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
depends how the PBoC reacts, really

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

The sentencing remarks are here.

Reading the graphic descriptions of the offenses :stonk: Such a loving creep.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The worst thing, I thought, was how the police searching his home found a letter from one of his victims, detailing the distress that his actions had caused her... In his bedside table, next to a box of kleenex.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
If I understand those sentencing remarks correctly, the judge is basically saying "I have to charge you under the law that applied at the time; if I sentenced you under current law it'd be more like ten years per offence". The sentence is based on the law and guidelines that applied at the time of the offences, and modified by the fact that he's old (and therefore any period is a larger proportion of his remaining life, I assume).

Which makes sense I suppose, even if it seems scandalously short to us.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Brovine posted:

If I understand those sentencing remarks correctly, the judge is basically saying "I have to charge you under the law that applied at the time; if I sentenced you under current law it'd be more like ten years per offence". The sentence is based on the law and guidelines that applied at the time of the offences, and modified by the fact that he's old (and therefore any period is a larger proportion of his remaining life, I assume).

Which makes sense I suppose, even if it seems scandalously short to us.

It is galling that most of these yewtree crimes are pre sexual offences act 2003 which, for all its flaws, is a drat sight better than what we had before, especially with regards to consent and presumptions which are rebuttable or conclusive.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Brovine posted:

If I understand those sentencing remarks correctly, the judge is basically saying "I have to charge you under the law that applied at the time; if I sentenced you under current law it'd be more like ten years per offence".

The minimum is only 18months for the worst crime ('sexual assault by penetration' on a 15yo) he did even today, so I doubt he'd have gotten a whole lot worse. True that the judge would have had more range to send him away, and the upper bound on some of them is life, but the judge would probably still have been lenient on an old man that he states is 'no threat to women anymore'.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well I guess that makes it OK, if he's no longer a threat. I wonder if cutting your own cock off is a valid way of reducing sentencing, as you would be incapable of raping someone anymore.

If he spends the rest of his life in jail I won't shed a tear. I'm somewhat surprised he didn't take down others with him. I'm pretty sure he would be privy to the sexual exploits of others, considering his career has largely been covering up other people's poo poo.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Well I guess that makes it OK, if he's no longer a threat. I wonder if cutting your own cock off is a valid way of reducing sentencing, as you would be incapable of raping someone anymore.

It probably would be a valid way of reducing sentencing I guess, though it'd be spun as a mitigating mental illness / remorse factor.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Public protection is arguably the only valid reason for banging someone up, so his age is relevant.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm conflicted. I do agree for the most part that public protection is one of the few valid reasons to incarcerate someone, but the brazen attitude and the fact that he got away with it for so long rubs me the wrong way. It's vengeful and irrational but, gently caress, for what he did and the lives he ruined it just isn't good enough.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I think from a 'revenge' standpoint, *any* custodial sentence at that age is pretty effective - he's going to spend 4 years wondering if he's going to see the outside again, and that's ignoring any 'nonce-hate' he might see from inmates. It's a pretty horrible way to spend years that could be your last, and should be when you're making the most of the days you have left.

But yeah, 4 years is a little too short. Strangely he didn't get a sex offenders register requirement too - I know others that have been given that for crimes that occurred before 2003 (or even before 1997 before that)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

it's very tabloid to throw around the 4 years figure.
the sentence is 8 and there's no guarantee he'll get out any earlier. especially not if he keeps up his 'take the piss out of the victims and who no contrition' act.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ddraig posted:

I'm conflicted. I do agree for the most part that public protection is one of the few valid reasons to incarcerate someone, but the brazen attitude and the fact that he got away with it for so long rubs me the wrong way. It's vengeful and irrational but, gently caress, for what he did and the lives he ruined it just isn't good enough.

It's not exactly irrational, this is a high-profile event shedding light on a serious problem in society. It's being made clear just how widespread and normalised rape and sexual assault actually is, so the way society responds is important in moving forward and eradicating it. When it's so widely reported and ends up with a slap on the wrist, it sends a message that what he did wasn't that serious.

Justifying it by saying they're bound by the law at the time of the crime sends a similar message, that it was more ok to assault women and girls then than it is now, like there's some kind of fluid, subjective morality underlying these cases. This is really problematic with rape obviously, given how much people like to argue "that's not rape" and victim-blame, and how so many people feel it's ok to cross those boundaries in the first place. So it sort of feels like it's normalising those cultural problems in some ways, even if there are legitimate reasons why the consequences couldn't be greater

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

SybilVimes posted:

But yeah, 4 years is a little too short. Strangely he didn't get a sex offenders register requirement too - I know others that have been given that for crimes that occurred before 2003 (or even before 1997 before that)

According to the Guardian report he will be on the register - perhaps that's just a matter of course now and doesn't warrant mentioning?

quote:

Clifford will go on the sex offenders' register for life, meaning that when he is released he will only be able to live at an approved address and will have to notify authorities of his movements, including travel abroad.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 2, 2014

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
The very end of the sentencing remarks mentioned notification requirements - which I assumed to be those of the sex offender's register from context. They probably didn't deserve any explanatory remarks other than the statement that they apply for the full eight years even if paroled.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ddraig posted:

I wonder if cutting your own cock off is a valid way of reducing sentencing, as you would be incapable of raping someone anymore.

This has been an actual part of the British judicial system as recently as whenever the hell we castrated Turing.

Max Clifford has a lot of very rich people in his contact book, and a lot of information on them. He's also in prison.

His stay will be luxurious and end violently.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yeah I just remembered that chemical castration is an actual legal thing. God, the world really is a loving terrible place.

I think I might go read Candide again to cheer myself up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Ddraig posted:

Yeah I just remembered that chemical castration is an actual legal thing. God, the world really is a loving terrible place.

I think I might go read Candide again to cheer myself up.

I like candide, you've just won yourself an internet book friend.

Chemical castration is a good idea on the principle of looking at criminal risk and then allowing people to live their lives. It's a bad idea in that it's the most ridiculous application of that principle since cutting off thieves hands.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
As someone chemically castrating herself, it's too good for rapists. :colbert:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TinTower posted:

As someone chemically castrating herself, it's too good for rapists. :colbert:

Nothing's too good for rapists!

no wait poo poo

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
So apparently Nick Griffin's Twitter account was hacked, although aside from the tweets to Anonymous it's probably quite had to tell.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

lol

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

At least they got the apostrophe correct.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

On the subject of longer weekends, the movie industry is doing something amusing.

The new Seth Rogen movie is released today in the UK, but its true opening is next weekend, so it will have a 9 day "opening weekend" of box office figures to quote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O342yliLVKk&t=34s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The coalition has significantly beefed up the Green Deal system, which subsidizes the installation of measures to make homes more energy efficient. As of June, you'll be able to get £1000 cashback (£1500 if you're moving into a new place or bought within the last year) for installing things like double glazing, cavity wall insulation, or a new A-rated boiler. Do your bit to increase the energy efficiency of the nation's housing stock/reduce your bills/get free money, etc.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/7600-to-make-your-home-more-energy-efficient

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 3, 2014

• Locked thread