Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Splode posted:

So if I'm following this correctly, we're either up for the great depression or the american civil war?
AusPol SportsBet

Great Depression - Odds on favorite
Civil War - 100:1

If we as a nation were so insane as to do anything in that commission of audit it will shrink our economy dramatically. In all the commentary there has not been a single one (I've read) that points out that the 'structural' side of the deficit was nothing to do with Rudd/Gillard. It was 100% Howard/Costello. If you were going to criticise Rudd/Gillard then it would be that they didn't do anything to reverse it but hello GFC anyone? This isn't a 'Labor Mess' it is 100% a LMP mess and it isn't that big a deal anyway.

This will trash our economy and leave us in about the same shape New Caledonia (Nickle) and Nauru (Phosphate) are in these days. If this is what makes for economic credibility then I'm Clucky the loving duck. Extra irony points for the Prod Com's baby, the NDIS, being called incompetent economics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014
Meanwhile in Queensland :clint:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-01/attorney-general-plans-changes-to-qld-double-jeopardy-laws/5423206?section=qld

The work experience AG is considering overturning 800 years of common law. I'm amazed they could find someone who makes Brandis look sharp.
WTF is it with this loving state? And why haven't we learnt any lessons about people with "Blje", "Belj" names?

Zabernist
Sep 25, 2006
Insubstantial!

Pudding Space posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-01/attorney-general-plans-changes-to-qld-double-jeopardy-laws/5423206?section=qld

The work experience AG is considering overturning 800 years of common law. I'm amazed they could find someone who makes Brandis look sharp.
WTF is it with this loving state? And why haven't we learnt any lessons about people with "Blje", "Belj" names?

What's the big deal about this whole "precedent" thing anyway?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

AusPol SportsBet

Great Depression - Odds on favorite
Civil War - 100:1

If we as a nation were so insane as to do anything in that commission of audit it will shrink our economy dramatically. In all the commentary there has not been a single one (I've read) that points out that the 'structural' side of the deficit was nothing to do with Rudd/Gillard. It was 100% Howard/Costello. If you were going to criticise Rudd/Gillard then it would be that they didn't do anything to reverse it but hello GFC anyone? This isn't a 'Labor Mess' it is 100% a LMP mess and it isn't that big a deal anyway.

This will trash our economy and leave us in about the same shape New Caledonia (Nickle) and Nauru (Phosphate) are in these days. If this is what makes for economic credibility then I'm Clucky the loving duck. Extra irony points for the Prod Com's baby, the NDIS, being called incompetent economics.

Fortunately there are a bunch of bureaucracies in canberra who will quite rightly point out the negative economic consequences of each of these policies.

As I keep saying, why on earth would Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey deliberately want to be the first prime minister and treasurer to reside over a recession in over 25 years?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98oeOocy2yI&t=149s

OH look at this, it's Australia.mp4

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Les Affaires posted:

Fortunately there are a bunch of bureaucracies in canberra who will quite rightly point out the negative economic consequences of each of these policies.

As I keep saying, why on earth would Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey deliberately want to be the first prime minister and treasurer to reside over a recession in over 25 years?

Unfortunately those same bureaucracies appear to be part of the massive cuts they're proposing so they've already gotten rid of that pesky bit of red tape. Is this march Australia thing likely to take off now do you think or are we doomed to remain apathetic to the country going to poo poo?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Give it a Sith hood and it's perfect.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I mean the M and S keys ARE right next to each other

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Essentially the audit is proposing that Australians really need to pay a small fine if they get the flu and need a couple of days off work. People working minimum wage (freeze that sucker for the next decade) casual jobs will not only be out of a days pay but have to pay a fee on top of it.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Already seen that with casuals. Wife miscarried, nope need to come in otherwise can't pay the rent. Concrete shards outside eye leading to an infection. Nope can't afford to take time off. They wouldn't join a union because they were agency workers that are dropped if they get uppity. :australia:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My first job was via an agency.

had a minor disagreement with my manager at my place of work regarding the quality of the tools provided to me to do my job.

got a call 5min after I left the building from the agency telling me i was no longer required and not to go to work tomorrow.

full time casual employment should be illegal if its not already (this was about 10 years ago)

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
This is a good article, talks about women and Aust politics and representative viewpoints. I like the idea that we value women in the political sphere because they are different from men and do bring a different perspective for that reason. The picture is also good.

http://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2014/may/1398866400/rachel-nolan/men-certain-age

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Laserface posted:

full time casual employment should be illegal if its not already (this was about 10 years ago)

It's supposed to be. I forget the numbers, but you're not supposed to work over say 25-30 hours a week as a casual, you have to be given full-time benefits.

Also, isn't it great that the audit goes out of its way to say that apparently the best way to address government spending is to reduce the minimum wage and not, maybe, closing all the tax loopholes and going after the cheats.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Captain Rehab posted:

Happy International Workers' Day, which is also my birthday, comrades!

Regarding the Australia First/Golden Dawn march on in Brisbane tomorrow - I would usually be back in Brizzy for my birthday but work got in the way, so my 5-foot-nothing mum who lives down the road from the Greek Club will take my place in the throwing bricks at fascists thing. I also alerted the West End Community Association and the Brisbane Aboriginal Sovereign Embassy (in Musgrave Park, right ocross the road from the Greek Club), so those twelve dudes who turn up are gonna be really embarrassed.

Happy B'day!

So where are people meeting for this, I've long put off being more active with my political beliefs and laughing at the AFP (which I keep reading as Australian Federal Police, my brain is dumb) seems like a drat fine way to kick it off.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
International Reactions to Australia Chat: They Hate Us

quote:

UN alarmed by Great Barrier Reef dredging plans
Unesco warns Australia it could list reef system as endangered site, saying a plan to build the world's largest coal port poses a worrying threat

By Jonathan Pearlman, Sydney

10:17AM BST 01 May 2014

The United Nations heritage body has threatened to list Australia's Great Barrier Reef as an endangered site, saying it was "concerned" about plans to expand a port and dump millions of tons of dredged sediment in the world's largest coral system.

Warning that the status of the reef could be downgraded next year, Unesco said it "noted with concern" the decision by Australia's prime minister Tony Abbott and the Queensland state government to approve wide-scale dredging as part of the creation of the world's biggest coal port.

"Indeed, this was approved, despite an indication that less impacting disposal alternatives may exist,'' the report said.

Scientists and environmentalists have warned the dredging and dumping of three million tons of soil at Abbot Point in Queensland could harm delicate corals and seagrass and potentially double the ship traffic.

The reef has already faced widespread loss of coral cover due to coastal development, agricultural and industrial pollution, storms and the crown-of-thorns starfish.

Unesco has been threatening for two years to take the reef off the prestigious list of world heritage sites - a listing it has held since 1981.

In draft recommendations to the world heritage committee, Unesco has asked the federal government to provide a new report by February proving that the sediment dumping will not damage the reef and is the least harmful option.

The World Wildlife Foundation said the plans for the port were "appalling" and the proposed dredging should be abandoned.

"The decision to dump in the Great Barrier Reef world heritage area needs to be overturned, and dumping needs to be ruled out forever and a day," Richard Leck, a spokesman, told ABC News.

Greg Hunt, the federal environment minister, said the dredging was "absolutely benign", adding that he was "delighted" by the Unesco report because it had not declared the reef endangered.

"If you take benign sand and benign silt and you move it from one place under the water to another place, it's absolutely benign," he said.

"[The report] recognises the physical changes and improvement in much of the reef, although of course with cyclones and nutrient runoff there are genuine challenges which we need to address."

Optimistic Idiot, thy name is Greg Hunt.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Otoh, my greens branch just got 31 new members so thanks for that I guess Tony

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Splode posted:

So if I'm following this correctly, we're either up for the great depression or the american civil war?

¿Porque no los dos?

Haters Objector posted:

"I feel like I've had a baby"

And not a single costing to be found in the lot.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
A few of my pharmacy friends had a brief discussion on the Commission of Audit and it was unusual to hear them sit on my side of the political fence for a change. Here are a few of the proposed recommendations:
- increasing general co-payments by $5.00 (increase from $36.90 to $41.90), while above the safety net a rise of $5.00 (from $6.00 to $11.00)
- concession co-payments won't increase, although once they reach the safety net, they will be required to co-contribute $2.00 for each script
- extending the scope of health professional practices to address the future health care needs
- new arrangements for funding the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- opening up the pharmacy sector to competition, including through the deregulation of ownership and location rules

The last point is massive for the community pharmacy industry, for many years they championed the protection of pharmacists owning pharmacies, from ownership being opened up to supermarkets. At least this is an opportunity to tell everyone from many fields about what the Abbott Government may have in store for them.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I think the reef story sums us up pretty much as a country. I mean even the US (probably) wouldn't start drilling in Yellowstone or excavating the Grand Cannon Canyon.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I love the fact that they recognise that scripts should be cheap for concessions($2), but apparently not free. I guess there are hordes of pensioners buying prescription medication just for the hell of it.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Campbell Newman: Let's boycott the UN

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nibbles141 posted:

I think the reef story sums us up pretty much as a country. I mean even the US (probably) wouldn't start drilling in Yellowstone or excavating the Grand Cannon Canyon.

The Republicans would - still "drill, baby, drill" haunts the memory. This is the worldwide stench of neoconservatist ideology - accept no data keep trying until it "works".

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Good OP

poo poo Country

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gough Suppressant posted:

I love the fact that they recognise that scripts should be cheap for concessions($2), but apparently not free. I guess there are hordes of pensioners buying prescription medication just for the hell of it.

Those pensioner hippies have been getting their high at the government's expense for 5 decades too long :colbert:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pudding Space posted:

I hate queensland liberals as much as the next guy, but I'd argue that the bigger part of blame lies with Labor for allowing people to be tried again for murder in the first place, not with the libs for making Labors changes apply retroactively.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Cassa posted:

the AFP (which I keep reading as Australian Federal Police, my brain is dumb)

To be fair the difference is vanishingly slight.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I hate queensland liberals as much as the next guy, but I'd argue that the bigger part of blame lies with Labor for allowing people to be tried again for murder in the first place, not with the libs for making Labors changes apply retroactively.

Double jeopardy as already been abrogated across Australia. TBF it might be case of broken clock, as if you're going to do it you're missing the point if you don't make it retroactive. In fact, I think Qld might be the only state where it wasn't made retroactive.

I think for serious crimes with DNA evidence now, it's a compelling argument to abrogate it in serious cases.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Watch LNP support for the idea evaporate when they realize how many skeletons they have in their closet that they could be re-tried for.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

Nibbles141 posted:

It's supposed to be. I forget the numbers, but you're not supposed to work over say 25-30 hours a week as a casual, you have to be given full-time benefits.
How does this work out for people who contract to a single company full time? As in they do full time hours at an hourly rate and no leave, super etc. and there's some threshold above which they have to start charging GST? I guess they have their own ABN? Sorry I'm not completely clear on the details but this is a thing that happens right?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Nibbles141 posted:

I think for serious crimes with DNA evidence now, it's a compelling argument to abrogate it in serious cases.

Yeah, it's not actually such a stupid idea. I mean, let's not give the state unlimited bites at the apple for every crime, but it might be good to relax the principle of double jeopardy for some serious, violent offences in relation to which compelling evidence can later come to light due to scientific advancements.

Could actually be a good thing. If done right. Too bad it won't be.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Coincidentally was in a discussion on American double jeopardy laws yesterday over the case of Timothy Hennis:

American soldier - raped and murdered a woman and two of her children back in the 1980s - was originally found guilty, mistrial was ordered on appeal, was found not guilty on re-trial, DNA evidence nearly two decades later proved that all the physical semen/hair etc. was his, Double Jeopardy kicked in.

To get around it they used Hennis backing as a soldier to have him court martialed and face a military trial for the same crime, was found guilty again and is on death row. http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/hennis/overkill-three-brutal-murders.html

Essentially that's a long way of saying "double jeopardy" laws existed to prevent people being tried over and over and over again for the same crime until you got a favourable result. They were not meant to mean that if new overwhelming evidence comes to light (technology marches on) that having already been the prime suspect once does not mean you are now immune from the new evidence.

Nibbles141 posted:

Double jeopardy as already been abrogated across Australia. TBF it might be case of broken clock, as if you're going to do it you're missing the point if you don't make it retroactive. In fact, I think Qld might be the only state where it wasn't made retroactive.

Pretty much this. If you want a case of this being the real implication of double jeopardy being abused and abused look at Italy and the Amanda Knox trial (the only case I can think of where three people have been convicted of an individual murder and each trial is individual from the other and just because someone has been convicted, and is still in prison, does not mean that the others are also innocent. Also one trial has physical evidence and the other is literally based on "satanic sex ritual gone wrong".)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Yeah, it's not actually such a stupid idea. I mean, let's not give the state unlimited bites at the apple for every crime, but it might be good to relax the principle of double jeopardy for some serious, violent offences in relation to which compelling evidence can later come to light due to scientific advancements.

Could actually be a good thing. If done right. Too bad it won't be.

The Age article (link) talks about a specific case where one man has been convicted of the same (pretty loving horrific) murder like 3 times, but has managed to successfully appeal because of legal technicalities. I think the issue in that case isn't really double jeopardy but the state's complete inability to competently hold a trial. Double Jeopardy is justifiable in cases of fresh and compelling evidence for serious offences (which is the law now, though it only applies to cases after 2007), and it does make sense to retroactively apply that. I guess it depends on the scope of the changes and how efficient they will be in addressing the problem. I'm not sure how statistically significant it is (like how often does double jeopardy ACTUALLY prevent justice from being served?) so the jury is still out on these proposed changes until there is an actual amendment to read.

e: pun intended

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 1, 2014

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Mithranderp posted:

The Age article (link) talks about a specific case where one man has been convicted of the same (pretty loving horrific) murder like 3 times, but has managed to successfully appeal because of legal technicalities. I think the issue in that case isn't really double jeopardy but the state's complete inability to competently hold a trial. Double Jeopardy is justifiable in cases of fresh and compelling evidence for serious offences (which is the law now, though it only applies to cases after 2007), and it does make sense to retroactively apply that. I guess it depends on the scope of the changes and how efficient they will be in addressing the problem. I'm not sure how statistically significant it is (like how often does double jeopardy ACTUALLY prevent justice from being served?) so the jury is still out on these proposed changes until there is an actual amendment to read.

e: pun intended

If you want to read about the murder they're referring to it's a bit more confusing than that (though why the appeals court quashed the conviction forcing double jeopardy as opposed to ordering a new trial is beyond me): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Carroll

Essentially the double jeopardy kicked in when they charged him with PERJURY over the first trial. The perjury? Saying he didn't kill the infant. So they were trying him on the question of murder by proxy and the High Court had a loving fit (because seriously, what the hell is that?).

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Destroyenator posted:

How does this work out for people who contract to a single company full time? As in they do full time hours at an hourly rate and no leave, super etc. and there's some threshold above which they have to start charging GST? I guess they have their own ABN? Sorry I'm not completely clear on the details but this is a thing that happens right?

That's called sham contracting and it's illegal. FWA has a pretty thorough list of the things that are required for you to qualify as a contractor:

• an independent contractor has a high level of control in how the work is done.
  • an independent contractor decides what hours to work to complete the specific task.
  • an independent contractor is usually engaged for a specific task. (that is, no ongoing expectation of work)
  • an independent contractor bears the risk for making a profit or loss on each task. Usually bears responsibility and liability for poor work or injury sustained while performing the task. As such, contractors generally have their own insurance policy.
  • an independent contractor uses their own tools and equipment.
  • an independent contractor has obtained an ABN and submits an invoice for work completed or is paid at the end of the contract or project.

It's theoretically possible that someone could qualify for all of that while contracting to a single company full-time, but it's incredibly unlikely and 99 times out of 100 someone "contracted" to a single company is under a sham contract. If you have a roster or specific, pre-decided hours and receive a paycheque and don't have creative/professional license in the work you do with the responsibility of rectifying mistakes and also carrying financial risk for those mistakes, using your own tools and equipment, you aren't a contractor.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Lid posted:

International Reactions to Australia Chat: They Hate Us

quote:

Greg Hunt, the federal environment minister, said the dredging was "absolutely benign", adding that he was "delighted" by the Unesco report because it had not declared the reef endangered.

"If you take benign sand and benign silt and you move it from one place under the water to another place, it's absolutely benign," he said.
Optimistic Idiot, thy name is Greg Hunt.

I want to stuff about 10 kg of benign silt down his benign throat. How does an environment minister not understand that things being where they don't belong is bad?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Lid posted:

If you want to read about the murder they're referring to it's a bit more confusing than that (though why the appeals court quashed the conviction forcing double jeopardy as opposed to ordering a new trial is beyond me): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Carroll

Essentially the double jeopardy kicked in when they charged him with PERJURY over the first trial. The perjury? Saying he didn't kill the infant. So they were trying him on the question of murder by proxy and the High Court had a loving fit (because seriously, what the hell is that?).

Yeah, it is a bit confusing, especially on the issue of what we can actually blame for the whole mess. I mean, double jeopardy was of course an issue, but it wouldn't have been an issue if the prosecution in this case had been a bit less complacent (like not even bothering to dispute the alibi...?). You might blame the judge for quashing the conviction and not ordering a retrial, but I think the reason the judge didn't order a retrial was that because the prosecution in fact had not proved his guilt beyond reasonable doubt, it wasn't a mistrial as much as it was, well, the wrong verdict.

edit: and then, the whole idea of charging him with perjury is completely whack.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 1, 2014

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Splode posted:

You probably have no idea how close this nation came to the latter during the 2000's drought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

XyloJW posted:

I want to stuff about 10 kg of benign silt down his benign throat. How does an environment minister not understand that things being where they don't belong is bad?

He's afflicted with a little something we call "being Australian".

• Locked thread