Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This is as much as I'm going to quote. There are more words but you get the gist.

quote:

An 86-step strategy for fiscal rescue
PIERS AKERMAN

From the constant repetition of the “spreading the pain” mantra, it is clear that Abbott thinks (erroneously) that hitting up those Australians who already pay the overwhelming bulk of income tax will in some way make those who pay little or no income tax feel more kindly toward his government.

That is the sort of soak-the-rich attitude that unthinking generations of Labor trade unionists and politicians used to kill industry and stifle growth.

The Labor and Green voters, for whom this sort of pandering rhetoric is ambrosial, are never going to change their votes.

They are as wedded to madness and hypocrisy as Opposition Leader Bill Shorten, Greens leader Christine Milne and Clive Palmer and his mindless moppets are to their plans to block economic reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
As a citizen of a thoroughly poo poo country, I enjoy good countries becoming poo poo ones, and I approve of each of Tony Abbott's policy suggestions point-by-point.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Piers Akerman: A big fat steaming pile of poo poo

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
KILL INDUSTRY AND STIFLE GROWTH *economy up, productivity up*

I like how he thinks this is pandering to Labor and Green voters. "He's slugging $100k plus earners $800 a year whilst smashing the poor and downtrodden, perhaps the Liberal party is for me".

Australia is far too complacent though. Somewhere like France they're in the streets for less.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mithranderp posted:

Yeah, it is a bit confusing, especially on the issue of what we can actually blame for the whole mess. I mean, double jeopardy was of course an issue, but it wouldn't have been an issue if the prosecution in this case had been a bit less complacent (like not even bothering to dispute the alibi...?). You might blame the judge for quashing the conviction and not ordering a retrial, but I think the reason the judge didn't order a retrial was that because the prosecution in fact had not proved his guilt beyond reasonable doubt, it wasn't a mistrial as much as it was, well, the wrong verdict.

edit: and then, the whole idea of charging him with perjury is completely whack.

Yeah, Carrol is the worst loving reason to change double jeopardy laws. It was a case of a lazy or incompetent prosecution who probably thought they had already won the drat trial before they walked in the door. IMO you shouldn't go around ordering retrials just because the prosecution isn't doing their job well enough because that sets a loving terrible precedent.

The perjury charge is just absolutely loving laughable and would still be so even if it were based on something stronger than a couple of new witnesses placing him in the suburb of the crime and a cellmate confessional.

Did he do it? Maybe, but the court said no, and dismissing the rule of law because you got one verdict you didn't like is a hell of a lot more dangerous than letting one possible criminal go free.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 1, 2014

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

Nibbles141 posted:

Australia is far too complacent though. Somewhere like France they're in the streets for less.

Have faith, even the most placid, doe-eyed, and basically misguided of peoples has their tipping point.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I sadly discovered too late that Tony Abbott made a visit to Geelong the other day. I could have taken the opportunity to change from unemployed bum to being a national hero of the left by throwing something at him. Alas, I was too depressed due to not being offered my dream job because the university's budget had been slashed to pieces in order to appease their Liberal masters.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Cool, don't discuss assassination on the loving forum.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

XyloJW posted:

Cool, don't discuss assassination on the loving forum.

It'd only be assassination if he was allergic to vegemite or something.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
As long as we're clear.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

XyloJW posted:

As long as we're clear.

Crystal.

('Sup ASIO)

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

TheHeadSage posted:

I sadly discovered too late that Tony Abbott made a visit to Geelong the other day. I could have taken the opportunity to change from unemployed bum to being a national hero of the left by throwing something at him. Alas, I was too depressed due to not being offered my dream job because the university's budget had been slashed to pieces in order to appease their Liberal masters.

How about handing him a big, novelty invoice for his free ride at Sydney University?

Someone did that to Vanstone years ago - and she was like a deer in the headlights.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

This is a brilliant new twist on an old favourite. Sorry, our Roo Turnback Policy is now in force.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
It's my birthday on Monday and for my present I want someone to loving kill me

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm not religious but ever since the election I've been unable to shake the feeling that the angry Semitic god is punishing us.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Pudding Space posted:

How about handing him a big, novelty invoice for his free ride at Sydney University?

Someone did that to Vanstone years ago - and she was like a deer in the headlights.

This sounds great. "Hi Tony, I'm from Sydney University, here's your HECS debt"

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

i got banned posted:

It's my birthday on Monday and for my present I want someone to loving kill me

Wat up Karl Marx birthday buddy

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm so glad I caught up on all the good news in the last fifteen pages of auspol before the new thread was posted. :suicide:

Also good OP.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So, what country isn't totally poo poo nowadays? Needs good healthcare and treats the mentally ill well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SwissCM posted:

So, what country isn't totally poo poo nowadays? Needs good healthcare and treats the mentally ill well.

The country you're looking for may not exist. Sorry.

New Zealand or one of the Scandinavian countries is probably your best bet. If you do find one please let me know so I to can escape the hellhole this country is soon to become.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm contractually obligated to point out that Canada isn't total dogshit yet.

When I went to the doctor in Australia for the first time I was shocked they even wanted me to pay, I was just going to leave until the lady called me back and told me I owed them $50 and I was like "uhh what the gently caress is this, don't you have medicare here?". I've never, ever paid a cent for a visit to the doctor, ever.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

HookShot posted:

When I went to the doctor in Australia for the first time I was shocked they even wanted me to pay, I was just going to leave until the lady called me back and told me I owed them $50 and I was like "uhh what the gently caress is this, don't you have medicare here?". I've never, ever paid a cent for a visit to the doctor, ever.

You'd grow like hell if you took in American medical refugees who were willing to change citizenship one-off. They'd work the same drat job, because it's otherwise the same drat place.

e: done chatting up the aus thread again, I swear!

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

HookShot posted:

That outstanding $50 bill is why hookshot is exiled to Canada.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

XyloJW posted:

That outstanding $50 bill is why hookshot is exiled to Canada.

True story.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is your government of criminals going to seriously dump tons of silt on the great barrier reef?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Grondoth posted:

Is your government of criminals going to seriously dump tons of silt on the great barrier reef?

Non-delivery of an invisible substance to no-one

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

dr_rat posted:

New Zealand or one of the Scandinavian countries is probably your best bet. If you do find one please let me know so I to can escape the hellhole this country is soon to become.

Nah no escaping. Stick around, we'll get to the fighting part eventually.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Grondoth posted:

Yeah but benignly. It's cool I think

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Good OP

poo poo Country

Why you babbysitting only two or three cuts?

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Just checking - is chucking a sandwich now a legitimate form of political commentary? Pre election I recall this was some sort of "robust discussion" for our current political landscape.

Ugh every time I see "robust" used in a sentence by some blue tie it gets substituted with "bullshit" in my head.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
From a decade ago, but this is the kind of thing that will happen when pharmaceuticals and healthcare become too expensive:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/07/1036308423803.html

quote:

A Victorian judge was shocked yesterday at how a drug addict was able to grow 230 opium poppies at home from seeds bought from the herbs section of a supermarket.
Fiddes had been a methadone addict for 10 years from 1989 before he decided to get off it and start working as a labourer. After a serious back injury, he unsuccessfully applied to legally obtain morphine for pain relief. Then he had been told about growing poppies for opium.

"He wanted to keep to himself and not bother anyone and try and create a situation that was physically tolerable for him," Mr Toal said.

So Fiddes went to a Safeway store, selected two bags of poppy seeds from the herbs section, planted them, and "they took off", he said.
In his sentencing remarks, Judge Duggan said he was surprised that Fiddes had been able to "plant an illegal crop so simply". He jailed Fiddes for two years with one year suspended for 24 months.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Destroyenator posted:

How does this work out for people who contract to a single company full time? As in they do full time hours at an hourly rate and no leave, super etc. and there's some threshold above which they have to start charging GST? I guess they have their own ABN? Sorry I'm not completely clear on the details but this is a thing that happens right?

Legally, after 6 months you have the right to go permanent. You would still be agency but would receive sick leave, holiday leave and have a period of notice before being sacked. You also have the option to sign on with the company you're working for. In the meantime you're casual rate should be +25% ish of your award to reflect no sick leave holiday leave. So $18 hr regular ŵould be $23 hr casual.

In practice without union support and you documenting everything it's very hard for a worker to exercise their rights which is the whole point of making it a worker-agency-employer relationship.

http://www.actu.org.au/Images/Dynam...20workforce.pdf

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Look, if we move this benign tumor from my cancer ridden friend's body, and put it in Greg Hunt's body, it's benign. It's benign.

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~

dr_rat posted:

They're all starting to become more right wing and roll back their multiculturalism and immigration so probably New Zealand.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

beetloJW posted:

Nah no escaping. Stick around, we'll get to the fighting part eventually.
ELECTION NOW

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just a gentle reminder, there is no justice, elections are an illusion, the media is complicit in war crimes, Rupert Murdoch is your actual god king, Tony Abbott is a vile human puppet dancing on the strings of his corporate masters and lastly, Corporations are people.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

XyloJW posted:

I want to stuff about 10 kg of benign silt down his benign throat. How does an environment minister not understand that things being where they don't belong is bad?

Just a reminder, the man who was widely predicted to be our next Science Minister (until the Ministry itself was abolished) once fronted up to a press conference with an open can of Coke as a way of demonstrating how harmless carbon is and why we don't need a price on it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

Just a gentle reminder, there is no justice, elections are an illusion, the media is complicit in war crimes, Rupert Murdoch is your actual god king, Tony Abbott is a vile human puppet dancing on the strings of his corporate masters and lastly, Corporations are people.

Straight up Bill Hicks post-Clinton election win right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

adamantium|wang posted:

Just a reminder, the man who was widely predicted to be our next Science Minister (until the Ministry itself was abolished) once fronted up to a press conference with an open can of Coke as a way of demonstrating how harmless carbon is and why we don't need a price on it.

He only had to convince the lay person, not policy makers or scientists.

(He's still a loving moron)

• Locked thread