Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starr
May 5, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Recently was gifted Drawing with the Right Side and the workbook. Pre instruction self portrait and hands from the workbook.

The workbook is cool but the paper quality kind of sucks so I think I'm going to transfer the exercises to my sketchbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
I sketched up a couple birds today.

Flyin the Coop

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde penguin

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hair is really difficult up close. I'm not sure how to do it.

supermikhail posted:

Loomis And Alcoholism

The linework and shading in this is kind of a mess. Both are way too scribbly and doesn't describe the form. For the lines you should make a single definitive stroke rather than a ton of short ones. For the shading use larger brushes and don't scribble in the shadows, it breaks the three dimensionality. Also hair shouldn't be blurry.

scarycave posted:

Crosspostin' a doodle because I don't think I've posted anything this month.

did you put any effort into this at all

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hog Inspector posted:

None at all. I was unaware of any quality regulations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I just don't see why you would post a lovely doodle even you don't like, seems kind of pointless

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Another meme for the meme pile

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

worked some figure drawings

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Hog Inspector posted:

While I agree with your criticism regarding my drawing (am aware, working on it, seriously doubted if it's worth posting but came up with an interesting title; however considering that while I drew on paper this has always been my problem, now that I've switched to tablet I'm not sure it's going away any time soon / ever), this in fact isn't a best-of showcase thread. Although on second thought, I agree, that doodle was lovely.:downs:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Daily drawings and doodles, it's right there in the thread title people :)

Anyway the planets aligned and I was able to go to figure drawing tonight!

I'll have to take better pictures of them tomorrow when there's plenty of natural light

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend

petrol blue posted:

e: Imaginary Friend, is that digital or real? Because well done on making it look natural if it's digital, and well done on the scanning if it's natural - how did you get that look?
Hey, thanks man. It's a bit of both. Scanned sketchiness and colored digitally. I'm too lazy to clean up lines or using erasers so that's probably why it looks eh.. natural? :)

Here's the anatomy of snail man. He's got a lovely figure.

Sorcery
Jul 3, 2012
More Loomis. Faces are hard to draw!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Hog Inspector posted:

I just don't see why you would post a lovely doodle even you don't like, seems kind of pointless

Bleh. Your no fun.

Sorcery posted:

More Loomis. Faces are hard to draw!!

You seem to be managing pretty well regardless.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I've been drawing a bit of concept art for a thing that i've written in the last year or so.
Used reference, but I forget where it was from.

projectk_preview by friendbeard, on Flickr

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Better pictures!

I'm still having the problem of the lower parts of the drawing ending up distorted when I stand up to draw at my easel (my eye level is pretty much the very top of the page and there's no room to step back and assess proportions in the tiny studio) , but I think there's improvement :)

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

doodles

Atlas Sperged
Oct 1, 2011
SRS art.

Atlas Sperged fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 22, 2014

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hey this is figure month but a friend (who posts in this thread! gonna let them out themselves if they decide to do it) showed me a neat thing going around, and I think it's worth sharing.

So there's a facebook group about it but I'll sum it up here using their banner and some info:

So the gist is as it says, go to a random street view place and paint it. Sometimes nice scenic photographic views are great but if you do it maybe try to force yourself to do some mundane pictures. Someone in the group did a painting of the inside of a train and it looks rad as heck.

A good helper tool for this is a thing called MapCrunch which takes you to a random streetview location (though the main page has a really gorgeous View Of The Day right now).

It could be a fun activity! I don't know if I'll be able to do it for a while but I'm sure some of you would have fun. Maybe it could even be next month's theme, who knows!

starr
May 5, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
Humboldt Squid - Really really dig your figure studies with color, that last one is particularly nice. I can see what you mean with having problems with the lower half proportion wise, but the face and torso are really solid.

Started working from the Famous Artist Course as well, here is the pencil assignment.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

The gently caress is this? :barf:

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Well you see, ogres are like onions...

Earth to Terra
Jul 11, 2013

I finally picked up my first graphics tablet. It's awkward as hell so far, but I'm determined to get my money's worth.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Earth to Terra posted:

I finally picked up my first graphics tablet. It's awkward as hell so far, but I'm determined to get my money's worth.

Just stop now. This is horrible.
It isn't, I'm just jealous

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Crossposted from the 3d thread.

"Smells Like Teen Anarchy" - design by Gris Grimly.

Almost done I think.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
More character design homework:

You have to have a mascot character. :cthulhu:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Das Boo posted:

More character design homework:

You have to have a mascot character. :cthulhu:

I hates you and your skillz.

Critique time yo! The boney-tooth thing gets a bit lost when I see these images as separate pieces. I don't know how far you need to take the concept/how much time you have (likely not much...finals yo!...) I personally get the :cthulhu: theme...partially because you led me down that path. I'd be great if the artwork made a concise/complete illustration of that. Long live the old ones:cthulhu:!!

Edit: a description world be super handy here. A picture is worth ba thousand words...so loving get writing...ya know a context is super helpful.

Edit 2: which is the top vs bottom? In the smaller thumbnail I see a catfish-like critter. In th main focal point I see something much more eel like. Further examination makes them feel like different observational (iterate) views of separate creatures...I feel like their relation us s bit tenuous right now...I get that they are a portion of a view if the same critter so that's successful, but I'm interested to see the minutiae of their anatomy n

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 22, 2014

Atlas Sperged
Oct 1, 2011

supermikhail posted:

The gently caress is this? :barf:

It's serious art, just like it says.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Atlas Sperged posted:

It's serious art, just like it says.

Be tolerant of him. He has not yet had his shreksperience.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Drunk art best art.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

scarycave posted:

Be tolerant of him. He has not yet had his shreksperience.

Help! Somebody kick me in the head, otherwise I fear I'm gonna stay awake for the next month!

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
What d'ya'll use for drawing in? Been using Photoshop CS6, but there is soo much lag from the Wacom. Tried CS2 (which adobe has put out for free!), but the smoothing is horrible (spacing set to 1%, the lines are just really wobbly.) So, Paint Tool SAI? Manga Studio? Something else?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
I use MyPaint. It's poo poo, but I'm poo poo, too, so we make a great team!

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I really love Manga Studio 5, Photoshop is slow as balls for me on my tablet but MS runs great so try that if you're having lag issues.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Depends on what I'm doing. Manga Studio 5 is great for straight-up line work and, like, cel shaded colouring, but for special effects and painterly stuff I prefer PhotoShop CS5.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I use Painttool SAI for errythang.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've been using Krita most recently. Anyone heard of it? It's freeware and has some neat features. I've never used Photoshop or Manga Studio because I am poor and cheap.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I've only been using manga studio for a week or so, but it does seem pretty nice for linework. Also, if you're having problems with lag in PS you probably need more RAM, ps is a ramhog especially with large canvases (I have 8gb and generally don't have a problem, but will probably upgrade to 16 eventually).

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
I've got 8gb too, but it seems I had the RAM usage capped at 5gb, so I turned it up to 7gb and it got a bit better I think.

Thanks for the input, guys'n'gals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Life drawing of a tree from work. This isn't the original because it was on folded up paper so I copied it with an ink pen on a new sheet.

loving leaves.

Also, does anyone have any tips on getting Seagulls to stay still?

• Locked thread