Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Trying my hand at digital painting, any pointers appreciated.

Fake edit: just realized that what's bothering me about the pose is that it isn't leaning its weight forward, so it looks like it's standing on 2 legs instead of walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
The shapes flow nicely, but the overlapping part going into white says "I just learned how to use the pen tool".

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Of course! And you're doing well with the curves, it's just the overlaying effect you should ditch. To the right of the Selection, Mask and Shape buttons when you have the pen tool selected in PS, you can change the Path Operations. Set it to Combine, and you're good.

Pen tool best tool.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
One more note on the pen tool. When you're trying to make smooth, roundish shapes, try to use few anchor points placed at the extremes.

By the way, anyone have an idea why ConceptArt.org is all locked down? Nothing new in a majority of the forums in 5 days, but nothing to explain why.

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
What d'ya'll use for drawing in? Been using Photoshop CS6, but there is soo much lag from the Wacom. Tried CS2 (which adobe has put out for free!), but the smoothing is horrible (spacing set to 1%, the lines are just really wobbly.) So, Paint Tool SAI? Manga Studio? Something else?

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
I've got 8gb too, but it seems I had the RAM usage capped at 5gb, so I turned it up to 7gb and it got a bit better I think.

Thanks for the input, guys'n'gals!

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
What shape do you guys think of cheekbones/cheeks as having?

Sketches scanned with the world's worst scanner and touched up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
Or just put your study on top of the image, and resize it to fit. Switch the layer on and off and see exaaactly what you did wrong. You've got the technology and you've done the study, might as well just learn everything you can from it. Then, write down what you did wrong in general terms. Not "her right eye too small", but "I didn't accept the perspective in the photo and tried to twist her facial features towards the camera". Then you can know the next time you do a study that you tend to do this, and try to catch yourself doing it so you can correct it earlier. (If you did this you'd also know that her head is the perfect size, and not too wide as you thought!)

• Locked thread