Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I'm struggling with blending smoothly. Anyone have some advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I wanted to challenge myself so I picked a picture with weird lighting and posing. I also took Jewel's suggestions for blending (thanks for those).

I do have a more general question, though. I feel like I'm pretty good at reproducing photos or what's in front of me, but whenever I try to draw from imagination it turns out really bad. What's the best way to start drawing without reference? Is there any tutorial series or exercises that help or give some good basic principles?

edit: uncanny how I notice a bunch of things wrong with the picture AFTER I post it

Stexils fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 5, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Trying to get better at faces

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

I was inspired by this thread and drew a naked person using a few stock photo references. I very seldom do figure drawing, and really should do it more often since it can only help me improve. I really ought to look into a figure drawing class at some point, since I've never taken one -- once I improve my job situation, of course.

The thing that sticks out to me is that her back should be curved more and her shoulders should twist some, since her left arm is propping her up. That would also make her back start digging into the armrest, so you might have to adjust her futher left to make the pose look more natural. Also, her left thigh would probably be resting on the chair's arm rather than held above it.

Overall though that's very well done for someone who's never taken figure drawing.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

archers

I'll probably go back and rework the second one, it feels too busy

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Changed some of the parts I didn't like.

Triangle posted:

Ah yes, the tangents are the biggest problem with this. The tangents.

If my work looks bad feel free to say why, I post in this thread because I want criticism.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

JuniperCake posted:

Your lighting makes no sense to me. You got this weird highlight on the forehead, but no where else on his face. His chest looks like its kinda lit from the front while the pants and boots look lit from the left for the most part. If you make a choice and decide on one direction for your light and shade accordingly it should read tons better.

Also, choose a different highlight color for his skin. There should be more yellow/red in it. That cold grey white just doesn't mesh with his flesh tone at all.

I tried to follow your advice on lighting:

edit: whoops, missed your post count uvula. fixed the legs

Stexils fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 9, 2014

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I love the lighting on these concert photos. I'm kind of stumped on how to do this guy's hair though.

Here's where I'm at:

(I don't know if it's apparent but I am trying to follow people's earlier advice, I appreciate the criticism)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

supermikhail posted:

I don't quite get it. The fact that she's propped against a rock and leans on the sword makes it like she's relaxing, but the left hand looks like she's waiting to spring into action. It's not relaxed (if you try this posture yourself, for example), is what I mean. Is it supposed to be like that.

I have nothing on the hair, but I wanted to gnaw my fingers off looking at those strings. Did that take you long?

About a minute, I cheated. New layer, shift + draw to make a straight line, transform into place, duplicate x6, lower layer opacity to get them looking right.

Practice is important and all but I'm not completely crazy.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I don't really feel like the blending is working on the skin. Also having trouble with hair.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Hair is really difficult up close. I'm not sure how to do it.

supermikhail posted:

Loomis And Alcoholism

The linework and shading in this is kind of a mess. Both are way too scribbly and doesn't describe the form. For the lines you should make a single definitive stroke rather than a ton of short ones. For the shading use larger brushes and don't scribble in the shadows, it breaks the three dimensionality. Also hair shouldn't be blurry.

scarycave posted:

Crosspostin' a doodle because I don't think I've posted anything this month.

did you put any effort into this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I just don't see why you would post a lovely doodle even you don't like, seems kind of pointless

• Locked thread