Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hog Inspector posted:

I'm struggling with blending smoothly. Anyone have some advice?

For me, I almost never like using soft brushes (I can't tell if you have or not) and instead, I set pen pressure to adjust opacity/flow rate (photoshop here, but you should be able to apply the idea to almost any program) and then color pick like crazy (alt+click). Color pick from dark, paint a little lightly onto light, color pick from the color you made, paint a little lightly onto dark, repeat until it blends in the way you want it to. It also has the advantage of mixing colors for you naturally (though throwing in a little extra color before you start to blend can help make it pop).

Edit: vvv That's if you're color picking from a photo. Yeah, that'd work, but then again maybe color picking from a photo isn't a great idea in the first place. Can be good to try and hone your color matching skills by just practicing trying to get the same color as a photo (and I can see now from the thumbnail of Hog's picture, but your version seems to be lighter highlights on the leg and lighter shadows).

Jewel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hey this is figure month but a friend (who posts in this thread! gonna let them out themselves if they decide to do it) showed me a neat thing going around, and I think it's worth sharing.

So there's a facebook group about it but I'll sum it up here using their banner and some info:

So the gist is as it says, go to a random street view place and paint it. Sometimes nice scenic photographic views are great but if you do it maybe try to force yourself to do some mundane pictures. Someone in the group did a painting of the inside of a train and it looks rad as heck.

A good helper tool for this is a thing called MapCrunch which takes you to a random streetview location (though the main page has a really gorgeous View Of The Day right now).

It could be a fun activity! I don't know if I'll be able to do it for a while but I'm sure some of you would have fun. Maybe it could even be next month's theme, who knows!

• Locked thread