Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earth to Terra
Jul 11, 2013

I finally picked up my first graphics tablet. It's awkward as hell so far, but I'm determined to get my money's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth to Terra
Jul 11, 2013

beats posted:

Yeah - the eyes are the worst offenders, and I think there's a whole myriad of other little things which kill any real likeness. Nose is a touch too small maybe, the shape of the overall face and cheeks are a little off, head is probably too wide and the ear isn't even close now I really look at it.

I find it really difficult at times to see what I'm drawing as actual shapes and forms. Instead I fall into the trap of 'oh hey that's an ear - I know what they look like!' :eng101: And the reference goes out the window. Will crank out another study this evening and will hopefully be a little more diligent this time.

Since you're working from a photo you can also try turning it upside down. Sometimes that helps so much it almost feels like cheating.

Earth to Terra
Jul 11, 2013

I've been thinking about drawing my own version of Ray Bradbury's "Illustrated Man". I'm starting with some tattoo ideas.

beats posted:

Nearly pulled my hair out doing the eyes over and over and over...

It was worth it.

• Locked thread