Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Presented without comment:

The Chrismeister, making Copies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Rand alPaul posted:

The Chrismeister, making Copies...

There is no way this can go badly. His entrance song better be Blue Oyster Cult

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

vegeta dentata posted:

I'm more shocked that the Marlins are 2nd in the NL for runs scored. Frank Menechino, our new hitting coach, is a mother loving wizard.
Yeah I don't see that lasting, not with this infield

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cams posted:

The location of Angel Stadium is so perfect, and it is the best parking situation of any sporting event I've ever attended. Really hope they don't move.

The parking is great but man there is like nothing around there.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don't see that lasting, not with this infield

I picked a couple of their infielders in an all-suck league and they're really letting me down. I think I'll come up the winner on those picks in the end, though. It's weird that they actually have the core of a not-bad team if they would just spend some money on major league players for non-outfield/pitching positions.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MourningView posted:

The parking is great but man there is like nothing around there.
Nuh uh, there's the Pond right there and the Grove down the street, so you can go see an Angels game, a Ducks game, and a Reel Big Fish concert all in the same day!

EDIT: I'm actually curious what your complaint means. Why would you care about things around the stadium? Cause to be serious The Block is like 5 minutes away for some good eats/shopping.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

cams posted:

Nuh uh, there's the Pond right there and the Grove down the street, so you can go see an Angels game, a Ducks game, and a Reel Big Fish concert all in the same day!

EDIT: I'm actually curious what your complaint means. Why would you care about things around the stadium? Cause to be serious The Block is like 5 minutes away for some good eats/shopping.

Because its nice to have cool places to go within walking distance before/after the game?

I've never been to the Angels stadium but I'll say from my road trip last year that Wrigley and PNC were much better than Miller Park because they both have a lot going on in the immediate area around the stadium. (Ok, Miller is a really bad comparison because they have awesome tailgating, but other than that its out on its own little island surrounded by parking lots).

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Let's move angels stadium to that hip young part of orange county with nightlife, a great bar and restaurant scene, and an awesome view of the skyline...

Actually just spin the stadium so the crystal cathedral is in the batters eye.

Real talk you could probably find a location with a nice view of the saddlebacks, there is tons of room in Irvine's great park area but I bike that area a lot and there is fuckall out there.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2014

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

seiferguy posted:

Does anyone have a link to that awesome review of Mr. Go? You know, the Korean movie about the gorilla who plays baseball?

http://oldtimefamilybaseball.com/post/73937724268/mr-go-korean-baseball-movie-review

Right here.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Santheb posted:

I know he's a liability in the outfield and doesn't have great durability, but damnit I wish the Nationals had found a way to keep goofy rear end Mike Morse and his big bat around. Every time I see him crush a 425 foot bomb I die a little on the inside :(

Edit: Its kind of a moot point but I really believe trading him away really altered the makeup and chemistry of this team from 2012 to now. I get it that he wasn't very productive last year but everybody in D.C. loved the guy and he really seemed to like playing here. Even if he couldn't play every day I'd rather have his bat in the lineup or off the bench than Scott Hairston or Tyler Moore.

I never really paid attention to Morse before this season, but now that he's a Giant I love him (go figure). He is very hard to dislike. I know he's a disaster in the field, but it really hasn't come up so far this season and I find myself wishing Bochy would leave him in the game longer.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Good Dog posted:

Let's move angels stadium to that hip young part of orange county with nightlife, a great bar and restaurant scene, and an awesome view of the skyline...
The Orange Circle is like a 15 minute walk away, you can go hit up the cool kid bars with the rest of the Christian college students from Chapman.

Good Dog posted:

Real talk you could probably find a location with a nice view of the saddlebacks, there is tons of room in Irvine's great park area but I bike that area a lot and there is fuckall out there.
Irvine is loving terrible and I would feel personally slighted by a move there.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

IcePhoenix posted:

Presented without comment:

Death to cowbells at ball parks

Especially in enclosed stadiums

gently caress you Tampa Bay

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

Death to cowbells at ball parks

Especially in enclosed stadiums

gently caress you Tampa Bay

It'll be fun listening to them echo tonight since there probably won't even be 10,000 people at the game to give them to (and thus absorb the noise).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

cams posted:

The Orange Circle is like a 15 minute walk away, you can go hit up the cool kid bars with the rest of the Christian college students from Chapman.

The Circle is actually pretty fun but it's way farther away than that. The Block is awful.

I don't know that there is a solution, since the Great Park would be even worse, but it's still in a pretty boring spot. Also I do not believe for the second that the Great Park will ever be anything except a gigantic under construction mound of dirt.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 2, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

IcePhoenix posted:

It'll be fun listening to them echo tonight since there probably won't even be 10,000 people at the game to give them to (and thus absorb the noise).

Yeah but what about in Tampa where there are 5k people and each one is an echo chamber on every pitch

God drat do I hate those things. I can at least drown out a guy repeatedly calling a player's name.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think you'll be able to hear them over the dingers being given up by the lovely pitchers on the mound.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Time to enjoy the period of probably a few hours when the Cubs aren't in last place! :dance:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

Yeah but what about in Tampa where there are 5k people and each one is an echo chamber on every pitch

God drat do I hate those things. I can at least drown out a guy repeatedly calling a player's name.

I was being sarcastic. I was considering going to the game because I like to collect weird giveaways but then I remembered that I'd have to listen to those drat things for 3 hours and would miss half of the Wild game as well.

Mugwump posted:

I don't think you'll be able to hear them over the dingers being given up by the lovely pitchers on the mound.

The Twins are 16th in dingers allowed :colbert:

Unless you were talking about Baltimore, who is 21st :smug:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2014

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
Footage of the 1919 World Series from an old news reel appeared on YouTube

:allears:

More information on the sabr website

quote:

The newsreel was originally filmed by British Canadian Pathé News and preserved for decades in an old swimming pool-turned-hockey rink in Dawson City until it was re-discovered in the Canadian national archive this January by Chicago filmmaker Bill Morrison, according to a story last month by the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. It is not the first footage available of the 1919 World Series — in which eight members of the Chicago White Sox were banned for intentionally throwing the Series to the Cincinnati Reds — but it is perhaps the highest quality video available of the games on the field.

A quick 3-second clip beginning at the 3:06 mark of the video online appears to be one of the most disputed plays of the World Series, one of the plays famously circled by sports writer Hugh Fullerton on his scorecard in the press box: the botched double play ball hit by the Reds' Larry Kopf and fielded by White Sox pitcher Eddie Cicotte in the fourth inning.

Exodor fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 2, 2014

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I never really paid attention to Morse before this season, but now that he's a Giant I love him (go figure). He is very hard to dislike. I know he's a disaster in the field, but it really hasn't come up so far this season and I find myself wishing Bochy would leave him in the game longer.

He's only a disaster compared to players who are defensive replacement. Compared to the people who could hit, he's worse than Melky Cabrera and that's about it. I don't see his defense being so bad that they regret it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I don't know what it's like having "things to do" at a ballpark. The thing to do after you watch a Phillies game is go home, because it is surrounded by warehouses for 15 minutes driving in all directions. Xfinity Live has almost started to count.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ballparks being near stuff is bad, Fenway makes life difficult when you want to do other stuff in the area on a weeknight. Granted Boston does its best to make things difficult on its own.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Time to enjoy the period of probably a few hours when the Cubs aren't in last place! :dance:

No, with our luck it'll be longer.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Orange circle is pretty dead at night the last time I was there and is certainly not walkable from angels stadium. ~the outlets~ is awful despite being my go-to mall since I live 5 mins away.

Great park was kind of cool when you could ride the balloon for free but its like 10 bucks to view a desolate retired airstrip now.

Angels stadium would be nice if your view of the outfield wasnt: parking lot, train station, cement riverbed, freeways, and then the pond. Being within a mile of 4 major freeways, several bus lines and a train station with amazing parking really makes the current location the best option.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRafTer posted:

Ballparks being near stuff is bad, Fenway makes life difficult when you want to do other stuff in the area on a weeknight. Granted Boston does its best to make things difficult on its own.

Eh, Baltimore does pretty well with Camden being pretty close to downtown. (It helps that the MARC literally has a stop at the stadium though, I suppose.)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

cams posted:

I see nothing wrong with this and I would live to do this

RBF :toot:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

MassRafTer posted:

I lived spitting distance from Fenway for 3 years. The city is so walkable that I could either just walk to wherever I wanted to go, or just walk to one stop past Kenmore and take the Green Line when it's empty.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

DOOP posted:

I see nothing wrong with this and I would live to do this

RBF :toot:
I have in fact gone to an Angels game followed by a RBF concert at the Grove before, so I was speaking from experience :)

MourningView posted:

The Circle is actually pretty fun but it's way farther away than that.
Ok fine closer to 45 minutes to an hour walk whatever. Walking is good exercise!

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I lived spitting distance from Fenway for 3 years. The city is so walkable that I could either just walk to wherever I wanted to go, or just walk to one stop past Kenmore and take the Green Line when it's empty.

If you walk to Kenmore and instead of going down the entrance on the sidewalk with everyone else walk to the big glass bus area you can usually go right down the the train and bypass the huge crush of people.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
Good News: The Pirates beat the Blue Jays on two 9th inning homers :unsmith:

Bad News: The reigning wild card champions with the NL MVP, MOTY, and CPOTY are in dead second from last in the NL Central. :smithicide:

E: MLB.com hadn't updated their standings.

Tedd_Not_Ed fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 3, 2014

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Bad News: The reigning wild card champions with the NL MVP, MOTY, and CPOTY are in dead last in the NL Central. :smithicide:

That's what happens when multiple people having career years, led by your best player. Also some of those things you abbreviated are actually very meaningless!

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.

Badfinger posted:

That's what happens when multiple people having career years, led by your best player. Also some of those things you abbreviated are actually very meaningless!

I know that. It doesn't make it any less depressing.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

e: wrong thread

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Badfinger posted:

That and our owner was like "Offseason, I don't have to do anything, those dumb yinzers will come all the time now with false hopes of multiple winning seasons" :smug:

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

drat Marte knew he crushed that one

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
I want every player that comes out of the bullpens for any kind of delay of game to be suspended for one game, if you want to speed up the game and you occasionally have a benches emptying thing, fine, the bullpens do nothing except waste another two minutes by jogging out, standing around, then jogging back. It's loving stupid and I'm sick of seeing it.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Storm posted:

I want every player that comes out of the bullpens for any kind of delay of game to be suspended for one game, if you want to speed up the game and you occasionally have a benches emptying thing, fine, the bullpens do nothing except waste another two minutes by jogging out, standing around, then jogging back. It's loving stupid and I'm sick of seeing it.

I think this is the least of our problems and a ridiculous thing to be upset about.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A terrifying monster whose face is obscured behind a blank visage.

And darth vader is throwing him a pitch

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Tharizdun posted:

A terrifying monster whose face is obscured behind a blank visage.

And darth vader is throwing him a pitch

This is absolutely terrifying. I Might have to take a break from baseball after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What the hell is that thing?

• Locked thread