Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Mornacale posted:

Stolmy Pimentel is on the DL with a shoulder problem, Brandon Cumpton is being sent down.

So that means Locke is getting the call?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

According to the newstory from sportslogos.net, the original team bought their jerseys used and either couldn't afford or couldn't be bothered to change the logo.

That's what I heard as well and I think that's a fact I think should be shared with everyone.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ahahahha

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's a HUGE number of Blue Jays fans at PNC tonight.

And the fedoras they're giving away are 100% paper.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bung Harmer posted:

Can you wad them up and throw them at eachother?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Can you wad them up and throw them at eachother?

Why would you want to destroy a perfectly good fedora?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bung Harmer posted:

Did you get to a baseball game an hour and a half early so as to not miss out on a fedora? hahaah

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
No, but pretend I said yes for comedy purposes.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I think the Cardinals need to start to consider replacing Mabry as the hitting coach. The offense has been atrocious this year. I've always thought Jimmy Ballgame would be a perfect fit for the role.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I think the Cardinals need to start to consider replacing Mabry as the hitting coach. The offense has been atrocious this year. I've always thought Jimmy Ballgame would be a perfect fit for the role.

He was great but does he have any interest in the role? I thought he was one of those dudes who was happy to just kinda have his time and then leave that behind?

I do agree Mabry needs to go, there's only so many reasons you can have a major tank in batting other than 'maybe the coach isn't great'.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

May 3rd.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I've never been a fan of Mabry's though. I thought last year the offense was extremely lucky. Power numbers have been way down since Mac left and he came in.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

He was great but does he have any interest in the role? I thought he was one of those dudes who was happy to just kinda have his time and then leave that behind?

I do agree Mabry needs to go, there's only so many reasons you can have a major tank in batting other than 'maybe the coach isn't great'.

I can't speak to his interest, but I'm pretty sure he was an instructor in spring training, and he seems to be getting more involved with the team this year than he has the past few years. I think when he retired he did say he wanted to spend time with his kids, but maybe he wants to be more involved in the game again, who knows.

edit: VVVV exactly. that was a historic AVG w/ RISP, by like .020 over the next highest. No way that happens again. and like I said, the power numbers on the team have been way down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 4, 2014

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
The Cardinals batted .330 last year with RISP (compared to their overall team average of .269;) the next highest team in baseball was Detroit at .282

That's seems extremely unlikely to happen again this season.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Cardinals' offensive regression has been pretty funny if only because last year it seemed like baseball thinkers were falling all over themselves trying to explain why the Cardinals' collective average with RISP was so high, because goddammit it was the Cardinals and it couldn't just be a run of good luck. It had to be a sustainable secret. Whatever the secret was, I guess they forgot it in the offseason.

e: I am slow

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Its just about oscar time I hope

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Was it his fault last year when they scored ALL THE RUNS?

They cards will hit. Or they won't. But I really don't see how it's the fault of john mabry either way.

Letting oscar taveras try and play cf in the majors would probably help. Letting kolten Wong play second (he might suck, but he might not. Too early to tell, but we have plenty of data on descalso and Ellis is 38 or whatever) would probably help too.

There are flaws on this team. Mabry is far down the list. And I still think they will get it together.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

camoseven posted:

So that means Locke is getting the call?

Either that or Wandy is going to come back despite being unable to get AA hitters out.

e: I guess they could also move Sadler to the rotation if you want something really out of left field.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FairGame posted:

Was it his fault last year when they scored ALL THE RUNS?

They cards will hit. Or they won't. But I really don't see how it's the fault of john mabry either way.

Letting oscar taveras try and play cf in the majors would probably help. Letting kolten Wong play second (he might suck, but he might not. Too early to tell, but we have plenty of data on descalso and Ellis is 38 or whatever) would probably help too.

There are flaws on this team. Mabry is far down the list. And I still think they will get it together.

No last year it was a really lucky season, and sure I'm sure he didn't sit in the office with his dick in his hand going 'duuuuuur' while it happened, but you need to look at hitting under him as a whole and, in my opinion, that's not a very glowing career view.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
College ball, but holy poo poo this this play and the reaction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwRr-iayUqU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

N: Cubs won a series

V: Literally

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

No idea these things existed. Kinda neat.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

wowsers

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Inspector_666 posted:

Jesus gently caress

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Inspector_666 posted:

The cut to the A&M dugout was the best thing.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No last year it was a really lucky season, and sure I'm sure he didn't sit in the office with his dick in his hand going 'duuuuuur' while it happened, but you need to look at hitting under him as a whole and, in my opinion, that's not a very glowing career view.

His body of work is 2013 and 1 month in 2014.

If we are going to ascribe the cards hitting to john mabry, he is doing a fantastic job.

Like...do you think he's in the clubhouse saying, "Allen, don't hit homers! Carp, you should stand there and look at strike three because the fact you know better than umpires is going to get noticed and they'll just stop ringing you up!"

Seriously, what do you think mabry is or is not doing with a team of veteran hitters that makes any difference?

My own thought was that the cards were exceptional at stealing signs with a man on 2nd last year and whatever system they had no longer works. That is probably only slightly more silly than blaming the hitting coach for one bad month out of his 7 in season months as coach.

E: also that catch :stare:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Michael Morse, in previous seasons: eeehh.

Michael Morse, after meeting Bonds: Dingers. Dingers forever.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The Cardinals were really lucky last year but they also led the NL in OBP and were 3rd in SLG. They are an elite team, their only concern is giving up too much a lead for it to normalize.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FairGame posted:

His body of work is 2013 and 1 month in 2014.

If we are going to ascribe the cards hitting to john mabry, he is doing a fantastic job.

Like...do you think he's in the clubhouse saying, "Allen, don't hit homers! Carp, you should stand there and look at strike three because the fact you know better than umpires is going to get noticed and they'll just stop ringing you up!"

Seriously, what do you think mabry is or is not doing with a team of veteran hitters that makes any difference?

My own thought was that the cards were exceptional at stealing signs with a man on 2nd last year and whatever system they had no longer works. That is probably only slightly more silly than blaming the hitting coach for one bad month out of his 7 in season months as coach.

Oh my god I thought he joined earlier than he did, I'm an idiot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't know that a hitting coach even really does that much but yeah the Cards are fine. I imagine the Brewers are going to regress pretty hard and the Cards will start hitting eventually. There's too much talent there for them to continue to hit poorly and likely more on the way soon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

nerve posted:

Jesus gently caress

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The cut to the A&M dugout was the best thing.

FairGame posted:

Oh and apparently LSU went on to win in the extra innings.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

The Cardinals main problem (or maybe it's a problem for the media/fans/etc) is that a .330 average with RISP isn't just unsustainable, it's batshit crazy. It's almost .20 over the next highest team AVG with RISP since the stat was recorded. We're talking about a statistical figure that should probably be looked at with the same incredulity as Fernando Tatis hitting two grand slams in an inning or Joe Dimmagio's hitting streak. It's the sort of thing that if you played baseball for another hundred years you wouldn't expect to see once.

Whatever the reason for it, it completely skewed any proper evaluation of the Cardinals offense going into 2014. Losing Beltran and refusing to play Wong or Bourjos has made them a team without much power or speed, so no matter how good their OBP or contact ability is, they live and die with whether they get multiple singles and doubles with runners on base. Last year, they were beyond historically "good" at that, and so no one saw it as a problem. This year, they're really "bad" at it, though both are a result of luck as much as anything.

As for Mabry, I'm of two minds. It's dumb to take much of anything from one historically ridiculous season and then a month of a pretty bad one. If you want to pin anything on him, this is something I'm just a little wary of:

FairGame posted:

Like...do you think he's in the clubhouse saying, "Allen, don't hit homers!

I don't think it's anything that dumb, but public comments from Matheny have severely downplayed how much he cares about hitting for power. That, coupled with the power numbers from Craig and now Adams makes me a little wary. The first time Adams beat the shift by poking a single to the opposite side it was funny, but the more times he does it the more I wonder if there has been a conscious effort to change how he hits. Craig has also completely changed as a hitter over the last few years and I don't know if the Cardinals mind-boggling success with RISP in 2013 hasn't reinforced an otherwise flawed approach to developing hitters.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Peter Bourjos is a Bad Hitter and the guy they're playing over him has been on of their better hitters for most of this year, that's definitely not part of the problem.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Peter Bourjos is a Bad Hitter and the guy they're playing over him has been on of their better hitters for most of this year, that's definitely not part of the problem.

I am biased because it's so painful to watch Jon Jay play the field that I'd probably make any excuse to get him out of CF. At this point I'd put Tavares there even though he's probably just as bad, just for different reasons.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

davecrazy posted:

No idea these things existed. Kinda neat.

What I like is that unlike actual Lego minifigs these things have elbows and knees.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Carlos Beltran is really good, but losing one guy does not take the 3rd-best slugging team to 11th best. Carpenter and Holliday are all having power outages; Craig, Bourjos, and Wong have been just plain bad; and Matt Adams is a platoon player being forced to play every day. Plus very bad luck with RISP. There is nothing to do but wait for players to regress to the mean. Just be happy that your pitching isn't making GBS threads the bed at the same time and digging you a hole you can't recover from.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Carlos Beltran is really good, but losing one guy does not take the 3rd-best slugging team to 11th best. Carpenter and Holliday are all having power outages; Craig, Bourjos, and Wong have been just plain bad; and Matt Adams is a platoon player being forced to play every day. Plus very bad luck with RISP. There is nothing to do but wait for players to regress to the mean. Just be happy that your pitching isn't making GBS threads the bed at the same time and digging you a hole you can't recover from.

Yeah, that's why I said it was probably the fans/media's problem as much as anything. The bats will normalize to some extent (though I would suspect that the Cards got close to historically lucky with their doubles rate as well to push up that slugging percentage) and the team will be fine, it's just last year's crazy team set expectations somewhere unrealistic.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gyroball posted:

I don't think it's anything that dumb, but public comments from Matheny have severely downplayed how much he cares about hitting for power. That, coupled with the power numbers from Craig and now Adams makes me a little wary. The first time Adams beat the shift by poking a single to the opposite side it was funny, but the more times he does it the more I wonder if there has been a conscious effort to change how he hits. Craig has also completely changed as a hitter over the last few years and I don't know if the Cardinals mind-boggling success with RISP in 2013 hasn't reinforced an otherwise flawed approach to developing hitters.

Re: Adams

His numbers this year are virtually identical to his career numbers. Which isn't indicative of anything given that this year is only one month and his career isn't really much more.

According to dgoold, the elbow injury that Adams had last year made him unable to go the other way, and his minor league profile was not that of a dead pull hitter. Assuming that's true, the Adams we are seeing in 2014 is the "true" Adams.

Re: Craig

The power outage started in late august 2012, when dinger king mark McGwire was still the coach. I agree that Craig isn't the power threat I thought he was in 2011, but again I'm not going to argue with results. Further, I'd wager the rehab he had to do to recover from a catastrophic injury is the more likely culprit he's looked so bad so often this year. Seems to be coming around lately anyway.

The cards just aren't a team that hits a lot of homers, and I also think Busch 3 doesn't help in that regard. And that's fine, but sometimes your sequence of hits won't produce runs if there's not a homer. Over the long haul, it will.

Other than jay for tavernas (for the reasons you cite) and descalso for Wong (we've been thru this too) there's not a starter in the cards lineup I'm dissatisfied with. They'll hit, in all likelihood.

Doesn't make the current doldrums any less frustrating, but the second wildcard is a nice salve against even a prolonged malaise.

...I find it weird that I'm the optimistic one.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

The Cards are going to be fine. If anything that organization has an embarrassment of riches. But I do hope they bring up Taveras ASAP because he's going to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Morrow has a torn tendon sheath in his right hand so he's dead. Stroman has been recalled to pitch outta the pen cause of course JA Happ needs to start and Neil Wagner should be in the minors......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

I'm fairly surprised that Fairgame's sign-stealing theory isn't more popular. Second highest average with RISP in history are the 2007 Detroit Tigers, with a .311/.383/.478 line. With no one on, they still hit a respectable .275/.327/.453 (above AL averages in AVG and SLG).

The 2013 Cardinals with RISP and no one on were different teams. .330/.402/.463 vs .236/.297/.356 That's just unfathomable. Not saying they were stealing signs, but you'd think the accusation would be thrown around more.

• Locked thread