Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

MassaShowtime posted:

Morrow has a torn tendon sheath in his right hand so he's dead. Stroman has been recalled to pitch outta the pen cause of course JA Happ needs to start and Neil Wagner should be in the minors......

he is short, therefore he must be A Reliever. who are you to argue with baseball wisdom???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bluh posted:

he is short, therefore he must be A Reliever. who are you to argue with baseball wisdom???

I get it, the bullpen is a mess and the Jays need relievers that aren't terrible plus they probably wanna limit Stroman's innings, but there are other ways to accomplish the same things that don't involved J.A. Happ starting MLB games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

I don't know that a hitting coach even really does that much but yeah the Cards are fine. I imagine the Brewers are going to regress pretty hard and the Cards will start hitting eventually. There's too much talent there for them to continue to hit poorly and likely more on the way soon.

Brian Dozier gives basically all the credit to Brunansky (Twins hitting coach) for spotting some stupid minor thing in his swing that once they fixed made him into an actual decent hitter instead of whatever he was in 2012 and the first couple months of 2013.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Does anyone know of a site or resource that might be tracking MLB replay results? Specifically hoping someone is keeping track of the umps that made the original challenged calls.

Would love to see if the usual suspects have their calls overturned more often than other umps.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MourningView posted:

I don't know that a hitting coach even really does that much but yeah the Cards are fine. I imagine the Brewers are going to regress pretty hard and the Cards will start hitting eventually. There's too much talent there for them to continue to hit poorly and likely more on the way soon.

The Brewers are already crashing back down to Earth. They won't make the playoffs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Does anyone know of a site or resource that might be tracking MLB replay results? Specifically hoping someone is keeping track of the umps that made the original challenged calls.

Would love to see if the usual suspects have their calls overturned more often than other umps.

MLB actually made an official twitter that shows every time a replay challenge happens

https://twitter.com/MLBReplays

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

nerve posted:

The Brewers are already crashing back down to Earth. They won't make the playoffs.

That's a bit overly pessimistic at this point.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014

nerve posted:

they could be a .500 team the rest of the way and still win 87 games, I think they have a fairly good chance although the Braun injury has to suck for them

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

MLB actually made an official twitter that shows every time a replay challenge happens

https://twitter.com/MLBReplays

That's pretty cool - links to videos and everything.

Was really interested in the ump stats, but half assume some writer will do something with stats on it at the end of the year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sorry, dudes, the Cubs are taking the Central.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MassaShowtime posted:

Morrow has a torn tendon sheath in his right hand so he's dead. Stroman has been recalled to pitch outta the pen cause of course JA Happ needs to start and Neil Wagner should be in the minors......

I am baffled why Stroman is going to be used in the pen. Uhh...

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
N: Neil Walker hit a 2 run game winning double in the rain tonight

V: The slow mo shot at 32 seconds is the most ballin baseball thing I've seen all season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

camoseven posted:

V: The slow mo shot at 32 seconds is the most ballin baseball thing I've seen all season.

God drat, you weren't kidding. Someone needs to gif that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

MassaShowtime posted:

Rand alPaul posted:

Craig Goldstein @cdgoldstein

Why the gently caress would you bring Stroman up for the bullpen. Not that he won't excel there but like, how is that helping your season Toronto?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

IcePhoenix posted:

God drat, you weren't kidding. Someone needs to gif that.

Ask the internet and ye shall receive.

http://www.gfycat.com/DizzyMiserlyFulmar

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

V: :swoon:

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

So if a manager says, "Yeah, we steal signs. Everyone in the dugout knows that I expect them to eyeball the pitcher and catcher carefully and see if we can catch what is going on with those two. I told them it was their job. They know that anybody that picks something good up is going to get a steak dinner. You do that, and get a guy on second to tip the batter with a nod or a step, you can make some bank. It's like when you see a pitcher is tipping his pitches. What? We're going to ignore it?"

Why would we care? Why does anybody care? And why would we think they don't do that?

e: Puig rules

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

the popes toes posted:

So if a manager says, "Yeah, we steal signs. Everyone in the dugout knows that I expect them to eyeball the pitcher and catcher carefully and see if we can catch what is going on with those two. I told them it was their job. They know that anybody that picks something good up is going to get a steak dinner. You do that, and get a guy on second to tip the batter with a nod or a step, you can make some bank. It's like when you see a pitcher is tipping his pitches. What? We're going to ignore it?"

Why would we care? Why does anybody care? And why would we think they don't do that?

Everything which is not forbidden is allowed. I'm perfectly OK with it, if you're good at it more power to you.

Tomorrow he's gonna face Fernandez, I can't wait for those at-bats.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

the popes toes posted:

Teams get mad when the home team is using hidden cameras or something else to gain an unfair advantage at stealing signs. Well, they get mad at it in general but that's what you'll usually hear them complaining about, in which case I think it's a legit complaint.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Teams get mad when the home team is using hidden cameras or something else to gain an unfair advantage at stealing signs. Well, they get mad at it in general but that's what you'll usually hear them complaining about, in which case I think it's a legit complaint.

Not talking about cameras. just talking about ordinary gameplay.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

the popes toes posted:

I'd imagine the unwritten rules crowd would probably get in a huff about it, but yeah I agree with basically everything here.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

nerve posted:

I will bet you :tenbux: they do.

It might be a wildcard, but those wins they have so far are a pretty helpful bulwark against collapse.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

the popes toes posted:

Another of the "unwritten rules". You don't flaunt it, and you don't get caught.

Cameras and the like are explicitly banned of course but I'm sure every team has some sort of system, even if it's just informal for things like high/low/inside/outside or fastball/off speed. If the entirety of the NL had their sign systems broken last year by the Cardinals, more power to them but my guess is if anyone really suspected them of stealing signs en mass you'd see a deluge of called low and away breaking balls that somehow end up fastballs up and in.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Rays just DFA'd Heath Bell.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

MassaShowtime posted:

This post just keeps getting worse and worse.

At least the team finally cut Sierra :shrug:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Twin Cinema posted:

This post just keeps getting worse and worse.

At least the team finally cut Sierra :shrug:

Yes that is good except that Gose was sent down to make room for Stroman, so I guess the 4th ofer is either Steve Tolleson or Juan Francisco?

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

Laderhan posted:

Rays just DFA'd Heath Bell.

And not Josh Lueke?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

And not Josh Lueke?

From a baseball perspective, Heath Bell has been horrific while Lueke has been merely bad/not good. I guess they didn't want to DFA two dudes at once but now we get quotes about Lueke's "upside" from Maddon et al, wheee.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Under normal circumstances a guy in his 20s who throws hard is probably worth keeping around instead of a guy in his late 30s who hasn't been good for a while, but...

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

Under normal circumstances a guy in his 20s who throws hard is probably worth keeping around instead of a guy in his late 30s who hasn't been good for a while, but...

He doesn't really throw hard, though! Lueke's upside is basically Preston Claiborne.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

leokitty posted:

He doesn't really throw hard, though! Lueke's upside is basically Preston Claiborne.

Huh. Stadium gun must have been hot yesterday? Had him at like 96.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I just realized something by looking at the standings. I know it's still small sample size, but do you people realize that the NL East is currently the closest division in all of baseball right now?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
University of Florida did a study on why pitchers injure their elbows so much. It's an interesting read:

http://news.ufl.edu/2014/04/30/baseball-elbow-injuries/

Len Dykstra
Oct 24, 2010

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm praying that the bullpen assignment is only temporary and he's going to take McGowan/Happ's slot the next time around.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Movie pitch: When baseball runs out of pitchers from all the tommy johns, MLB is left with no choice but to bring in the last resort: NFL quarterbacks *guitar riff* *Andrew Luck throws football at Brian McCann's head*

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Quest For Glory II posted:

Movie pitch: When baseball runs out of pitchers from all the tommy johns, MLB is left with no choice but to bring in the last resort: NFL quarterbacks *guitar riff* *Andrew Luck throws football at Brian McCann's head*

gently caress John Elway

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It would make baseball more interesting.

Until they need TJ.

Then you start importing basketball players and so on.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

All pitchers are replaced by robots - baseball becomes a competition between brilliant programmers trying to build the best pitching robot.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

All pitchers are replaced by robots - baseball becomes a competition between brilliant programmers trying to build the best pitching robot.

Pitchers become experts at setting the dials on a Jugs machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Random question I thought of today: do international leagues have as many oblique strains and ligament tears as MLB?

• Locked thread