Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Milliner Rose
Telepathy: Hex | XP 7/9
HP 19/19 | Armor 2
Load 6/7 | 4/5 AG

Milliner wanders the courtyard more-or-less aimlessly while Nemo works on the trail, eyes peeping out from under the hood of Grigron's cloak. She's still trying to walk off the pipeweed - and figure out how to make her skin stop changing complexion. It's a little distracting. She fingers her newly-full pockets, making sure all the gold is still there. Dead men having need for neither, Milly gave the would-be jailbreakers a quick once-over before hopping on Air Hex, liberating them of coin, and of a healing potion none of them had any time to use.

Discern Realities = 6 aided to 7 :toot:
• What should I be on the lookout for?

Looks like that pipeweed hit Milly a lot harder than she expected it to. Instead of scoping the area out like she'd meant to, she finds herself fascinated with the gardens here. So much like the forests around Marafen, but tamed. No thorns here, that's for sure. She wanders out into the beholderfruit orchard, forgetting for the moment that she's supposed to be bounty hunting...

Added a healing potion and 7 coin to my inventory. Something Else, how should we divvy the coin? I've gone 70/30, since you specified Brunch only took 'a couple.'

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Kozu Cain
HP: 11/23 | Armor: 1
Load: 10/10 | XP: 3

Aid(Milliner Rose): 2d6+1 7

Kozu catches sight of Milly's wandering and moves towards her.

"What ya looking at Ms. Milly? Do you think they're tasty? The fruit that is." Kozu asks and states, a hand pressed to her brow to scout for anything of particular interest.

+1, but at a danger, retribution or cost

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Alumnus Post posted:

Added a healing potion and 7 coin to my inventory. Something Else, how should we divvy the coin? I've gone 70/30, since you specified Brunch only took 'a couple.'
I considered a couple to be a 'fair share' of the coinage, but I'm good with that. I'll take 3.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The children freeze as Brunch snipes the ball from the air, then break out into giggles. At first they just stare at him as he asks his question, but slowly it dawns on the dwarf that they don't necessarily speak his language.

"Refugees," a voice says from behind him. A woman smiles kindly at him, dressed in simple farming clothes. "Their parents were killed in the East. If you're looking for His Divinity, he is probably in his chambers inside. He was obviously very excited when The Protector Mech fired."

She points towards the big doors.

"Follow the corridor, his chamber is behind the doors marked with the cogs."

It seems like you can just walk straight in if you desire, or you could push the woman for more information. What do you do?

Milliner scans the fields and gardens with the eyes of paranoia. She's not entirely sure what she is looking for, but what she finds surprises her. There are lots of people in the garden, both civillians and clergy. What she notices is the bulge at the hip of one priest's robes. She looks for another and sees that he too is carrying some form of weapon. The church are armed - might be something to keep an eye on.

A second later she locks eyes with a priest - a bald, heavy set man in long gold and white robes. His face suggests he is not pleased to see her. Milliner watches as the man quickly searches the field, locating the rest of the team, then turns and marches into the building.

Milliner, there is something going on here - the priest wasn't necessarily looking for you, but he recognized what he saw. What do you do?

Hex's synapses tingle.

<<Magician? The Captain wants to know what is going on, and if you need him, Corporal Dahla or both of them, where you are?>>

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Hex Babel
8/17 HP, 1 Armor, 8 XP, Invisibility, Telepathy x2, Contact Spirits, Cantrips, can't cast while Feston's Invisible

<We're at the Church of Cogs. Don't need backup, yet. One of these priests is packing, though, and I don't think he's just happy to see us. Do they normally have plainsclothes guards, or is this another one of Hakkan's, like at the prison? Oh, and remind me what color Dahla's eyes are, I just forgot and it might be important. Ask them and tell me exactly what they say.>

A little pop quiz for the invisible man, to make sure he hadn't made a run for it, or worse. Also, if he'd killed the officers and was just pulling open an eyelid, he might say 'green,' when Dahla or Higgs would have said 'hazel.'

Discern Realities: 2d6 11
Who’s really in control here? What here is not what it appears to be? What happened here recently?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Brunch Fiddles | 9/21 HP | 3 Armor | 8 XP

Brunch's jovial grin fades as the children stare blankly back at him. "Whassa matter? Are ya stupid or somethin'?" He turns around at the sound of the woman's voice, eyeing her patronizing smile with suspicion. "Refugees? Hnn. An' I thought ol' Tybbsy could handle his uprisin's. Oh well. Hey, how 'bout that Mech, huh? Sure was somethin'. You were with Aaronow when it fired? What was his reaction?" Brunch keeps it casual, like he's just making passing conversation while donning his gold elbow coverings - wouldn't want to scare the kiddies, after all.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 2
Load 6/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 7 8/9

"Huh? Wha?!" Milliner blurts out, burning a hole in the church with her eyes until Kozu's voice jolts her out of her reverie. "oh. Oh it's just you. I thought you were...I don't even know. Thank you. Hoooo. Eyes peeled, okay? I think they're onto us...ehe. Ehehehe. ohgodohgodohgodohgoddd...." Milly feels The Fear welling up in her again, and this time she can't keep it down with one of Brunch's Stone-Pointed relaxation mantras. Priests-militant, a man who knew they'd be coming to investigate-- knew her --and raiders with ties to the very institution they mean to waltz right into? It looks bad. Very bad, and the pipeweed isn't helping her get ahold of herself either.

Milliner lets Kozu lead her back to the rest of the group. She's in a right state, trying to look in every direction at once, and visibly trembling. Everything's standing out painfully clear to her, and even the muted lights and sounds of sunset are almost too much. "Brunch?" she says timidly, sticking close to the dwarf while he covers up his battle scars. "Bruuuunch? I-I'm kind of freakin' out here. They know. They know we're here! I, I saw a guy who saw us and then he went back into the temple, and the, the, the priests are all armed, and that barmaid had a cog on her neck before I killed her, and ohhjeez. Curator help me. He was a big guy, okay? Big, big gold-and-white robes? I thought I saw somebody robed on the streets last night...was it him? Aaronow? Somebody else? Oh man, I don't know..."
Spout Lore on Baldy = 5 XP marked.

She grabs the dwarf's armored elbow, on the verge of completely losing it. She stares him down, eyes wildly oscillating between blue and brown and green and gray. "You gotta help me! Please! What do I do?!"

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brunch suddenly feels a weight hanging off his left elbow - the Stolen, clearly out of her gourd again. Every drat time with this one! Brunch splashes a swiss-cheese grin over at the kindly woman. "'Scuse me a minute, sweetheart. My friend ain't feelin' too hot."

The dwarf manages to hustle Milliner over to the fountain/reflecting pool in the middle of the garden. He hisses at her quiet-loud, whipping his head around to see if anyone's watching - which, of course, they are. "Dammit, Millie! Ya gotta pull yerself together! Doncha remember what I taught ya? One point fer smashin', an' all the rest!" He splashes some water in her face, which seems to calm her down a bit, then splashes his own, rubbing his eyes with the heels of his palms - the knees of the wrist, if you will.

"Now, look. I ain't mad atcha, that lady probly didn't even know nothin'. An' if ya say there's someone here ya recognize, and the cog tattoos... Well, it adds up, but that only means we gotta keep our cool even cooler. There's kids here, an' if we start another fight, there's a chance we won't be able to keep 'em all safe, so we gotta play it casual, ya see?" Brunch sighs, looking over at the guarded entrance to the church. There's probably nothing here to worry about, but that won't help the poor girl-thing. She needs to focus all this damned manic energy, not disperse it.

"Tell ya what - I think ya need a mission. Howzat sound? Ya throw on yer crazy camouflage skin, an' ya do a little reconnaissance in the church over there, while we stroll in like a coupla dolts. If anybody's plannin' to get the jump on us, or go behind our backs, you can sniff em out. Whaddya say, Millie?" He holds out his elbow hopefully, for a confirmatory elbow-bump.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 2
Load 6/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 8/9

Milliner says nothing for a while, still holding on to Brunch's elbow like it's a life preserver. "H-how do you do that?" she finally says. "How do you just see it all like that? Y, you just open your mouth and everything suddenly makes sense. I don't get it."

The pep talk seems to bring her back around, though, and now her mind's getting some traction instead of just spinning its wheels. "If I leave you now, they'll know one of us is missing." She fingers Grigron's cloak, plotting out climbing and escape routes on the church's facade. "We need somebody else with a cloak to take my place. When we get out of sight, I'll pull a vanishing act and scope the place out."

"You guys stay safe, okay?" She uncorks a waterskin and fills it in the fountain, taking a long long drink. When she finishes, she seems...more-or-less normal again, and returns Brunch's elbow-bump with gusto. "They'll never even see me coming."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel
8/17 HP, 1 Armor, 8 XP, Invisibility, Telepathy x2, Contact Spirits, Cantrips, can't cast while Feston's Invisible

A small spying portal winks out of existence behind the teacher and student, and Hex reaches for Tess inside his coat. The stars above gave him her to defend himself, and instructions when he strained his sanity to hear their broadcasts, but they never sugarcoated anything or said anything like whatever that was that he just heard.

He doesn't agree with any part of it--posing as bait in their wounded condition, or counting on the stolen to watch their backs alone--but he's not raising any objection. Not trusting his allies and keeping tabs on them without their knowledge had been what put him in position to protect them from their own mistakes time and time again. If he actually let them go do things on their own, or tried to rely on them an ounce too heavily they'd just get themselves, and him, killed. Killing Lorama, making a deal with Ixtheladox, recruiting Sister and going to the End of Time while they fought Cornelius Babel... they were tough calls to make, and maybe impossible to justify to the others, but they were the right ones.

A drop of quicksilver blood suddenly slips down his three-fingered hand, but he catches it with a portal before it hits the ground and starts to dissolve it. Looks like his welding patch job from before hadn't been perfect. "Crack it open, and what's inside that head of yours," that grimoire had asked him back on the Babel job. He wasn't going to find out, not today.

In response to Milliner's plan of having a decoy cloaked figure, he produces some sadistic looking thin, black pipes linked by chains, then assembles them into what they actually were: a coat hanger. Then one of his sleeves goes limp as the arm within it is threaded through a mobile portal that moves the coat hanger around like a puppet once it's hooded under a spare cloak.

"Watch yourself."

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The dwarf grins and thumps his chest. "I'm just a downright beacon o' clarity an' righteous thought, ain't I? Heh!" He watches Hex's movements with a steadily raising eyebrow, and when it finally starts to make sense, he starts looking around for any and all observers, in case some sort of distraction ends up being necessary. "Yo, Cain, ya 'member that time in the Illian highlands? That ring of elf slavers? Get ready to run that misdirection play again. Only this time, try not to kill anyone!"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain

Kozu walks with Milliner back to the group, calling Nemo over from where he was perched.

'Good job, Nemo, but now it's show time!' she whispers to the mechanoid.

"Understood and I'll try not too. I like to think Nemo and I have come a long way since then. I mean the chance that I'll melt someone again is highly unlikely. I mean pretty unlikely. I mean... I'll be careful" she says rubbing the back of her head.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

The message back to He is shaky and for a moment he fears the worst, but then the voice of Feston seeps back into his psyche.

<<The Captain says her eyes are Hazel. She says she's an elfish size nine and likes long walks on the beach and told me to tell you to stop being a creep. Captain says that if you need help then you should yell to me over this here whatever it is and he'll come running. He says good luck.<<

Hex's 'ears' prick as a wave of feedback ripples across the psychic lake. There is a great source of energy here, well disguised, but open within the church. He has little fear for his own transmissions, it is not hard to encrypt and hide them, but he remains aware - there may be some communicating silently throughout the church...

Read the OOC thread in a minute.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The hunters enter the temple, a floating scarecrow figure replacing Milliner who slips in silently behind. The hallways of the church are long, winding, and very clean. Their footsteps clock on marble floors whilst swirling gold artwork decorates the walls around them. They pass more priests, all armed, who nod greeting or bow gently at the waist but pay them little mind. Eventually they come to a small study in which His Divinity Aaronow sits behind a large wooden desk. He smiles as they enter, holding up one finger to stall them as he finishes the final touches on the paper before him with a long white quill.

"Welcome, welcome, welcome!" he beams, rising to his feet and spreading his arms. The look upon his face is one of pure religious ecstasy. "Welcome on this fine day! Have you heard the news, adventurers? Did you see it? The great Mek fire! I never thought I'd be alive to see such a thing!"

Outside the hall Milliner does a quick sweep of the area. As she turns the nearest corner she sees one of the robed clergymen lift a curtain from the wall and slip into a hidden passageway. With no idea where it leads she is forced to make a choice - stay and help her friends, or follow the priest?

And I'm back - still a little itchy but doped up on crazy ammounts of tablets. What do you do?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain

"You know, I had some questions about that, your Divinity. I mean... I'm a little confused about it all. How exactly did it fire? I only kind of saw it so I'm curious is all." she says rubbing the back of her head with a wide smile.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brunch congratulates Kozu and Nemo on an excellent misdirection performance. "Way better than in the highlands! That was--" But he quiets down as they enter the temple, accommodating the somber atmosphere, muttering under his breath, "Never did find out if the elves were slavin' or bein' slaved, anyway..."

As they approach Aaronow at his desk, the dwarf breaks off. He finds a vacant shrine (little more than a pile of ancient springs and gizmos) and kneels before it, his knees pressing against the cold marble floor. It'll look like he's praying to the mech-god, but really, he's sensing through the floor, accessing vibrational energies via the Stone Points.

He's looking to get a count of how many people seem to be moving around this place, where they concentrate, and whatever else this old stone can tell him. He even tries to detect Millie's location, since her camouflage is good enough that he has no idea where she got off to.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 13
What should I be on the lookout for?
What here is useful or valuable to me?
What here is not what it appears to be?

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 2 1
Load 6 0/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 8/9

Milliner follows the priest through the passageway, stopping only briefly to stuff her leathers and pack in an out-of-the way crevice just behind the curtain - even the weapons and Grigron's cloak go. When she stands up again, there's nothing to get in the way of her camouflage except nails, teeth, and the whites of her eyes. She pads noiselessly down the passageway, tasting the air and feeling the cold stone through bare feet.

Dropping my entire inventory back there, so as to be a better snakeninja. :ninja:

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel

Hex stands alone with Kozu and a cloakpuppet on the other side of the desk, tossing in a question of his own while he fiddles with his guide to the galaxy, "While you're at it, we need to locate Cardinal Osbourne. Our source is sure that he meets with Hakkan behind your back."

On the tablet, he's doing ballistic calculations to check out he has his own hypothesis about the Mech's firing in light of Kozu's readings on the gun. Was it possible that the flash of light wasn't something being fired out of the Mech's gun, but was something or someone being fired into it?

Spout Lore (ballistics: 2d6+3 9

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Cardinal Osbourne?" Aaronow says quietly. All three of the hunters catch the stress in his voice, but Brunch feels the vibrations of his shaking through the ground. The mention of Osbourne has made Aaronow nervous. "I'm afraid you have been made victims of some form of deception. The Cardinal is absolutely beyond reproach. He is one of the most trusted figures within the church and he would absolutely not be betraying this city to the enemy!"

He looks around the hunters one by one, as if to declare the matter over, then smiles broadly.

"Yes! The Protector Mech fired! A great pulse of green energy formed around its cannon, then a beam tore through the air and vanished into the distance. Now I know you are busying yourselves searching for Jenna Hakkan, but something tells me that the problem is most likely taken care of now! Our protector sensed the threat the young woman posed to our great city and came to life once more, just when we needed it most!"

Around the room various curtains twitch. To the naked eye these movements are invisible, but Brunch senses the shifts in the air. Bodies are massing around the room - no doubt the armed priests seen earlier.

"Now, as this issue is no doubt complete, I would like to thank you personally for the help you would have provided. In fact, since my deity has robbed you of your bounty, the church would very much like to compensate you. When you arrived I checked in with The Adventurer's Guild out of curiosity - I know how much gold you were promised and I am willing to match it piece for piece!" He smiles brightly again. "Spend the day in the city on myself, then on the morning let me send you back home with full pockets. The Church of the Cogs is forever in your debt!"

Something doesn't seem right... what do you do?

Milliner drops her weapons and follows the priests to a series of twisting corridors. She is able to move quickly and quietly enough to confirm her suspicions - the warrior priests hide behind tapestries and paintings, but they can see through into an office - the office containing her friends. She finds herself behind a broad-shouldered knight clutching a mace.

Milliner, what do you do?

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The dwarf saunters back to the group, eyebrows riding high at the sound of Aaronow's offer. "Matchin' the bounty piece fer piece? Maybe, maybe... But ya know, that minotaur that was about to wreck yer whole town - ya know, before we blew him up - mighta earned us a bonus with the guild. Can ya match that too? Have yerself a think on it, while we confer."

Brunch huddles up with the gang, whispering his discoveries: "There's warriors in the walls, behind the tapestries. An' Aaronow ain't as sunshiney as he seems... Somethin's goin' on here, and I don't want it to be us. Whaddya think?" In a more overt voice, he covers: "ALL THAT GOLD, SURE COULD BUY US SOME ALES. YUM YUM, LOVE ME SOME ALES, YES SIR!"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel

"Sure," responds Hex, "Let's walk and talk."

Suddenly he drops through the floor and rises behind the Cogpope, taking the old man gently by the arm.

One of the perks of having no face is no one can read your lips. That means if you can whisper pianissississississimo, and are the master of portals of any size, you can speak directly inside someone's ears with no one else the wiser. Place the Y-split portal just right and they won't even realize only they can hear you.

"Tell your hidden guards stand down, I've had a long day." There's a beat as the starman considers that perhaps Osbourne was in charge of the show and Aaronow was just a disposable patsy.

"They haven't come to kill you too, have they?"

Fold Space: 2d6+2 11
Discern Realities: 2d6 6
Leaving the floorportal open in case the rest of you want to get behind the human shield with me.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain

"Oh is that it, your divinity? Oh-kay then!" Kozu says scrambling over towards Brunch and Hex.

"Yeah, it all seems fishy. What should we do? Shoot up the place? Kickin' rear end first, questions later? YOU'RE RIGHT BRUNCH, THAT IS A LOT OF GOLD AND A LOT OF ALE HA-HA, A JOB WE-HEH-ELL DONE."

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 1
Load 0 1/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 8/9

Milliner's lips peel back from her teeth in anticipation. The Church is going to have to get up a lot earlier than that to pull a fast one on her.

It doesn't even take all that much, really. Big men are top-heavy already, and all the heavy armor just makes her job easier. Milliner steps up behind the warrior-priest, puts hands on his shoulders, and just...steps back. Abruptly, his center of balance relocates to somewhere about a foot behind his knees. Gravity takes over from there. She almost feels bad for the poor bastard.

...Almost.

As the knight topples, Milly claps a hand over his mouth and wrestles him into a sleeper hold. Once he stops moving, she lowers him gently to the floor and bites him on the neck for good measure. By the time he wakes up, he'll have a healthy dose of Milliner's 'breakfast' perking through his veins.

No time to waste - that writhing feeling in Milly's gut is telling her things are about to get bloody. Milliner snatches up the mace from the guard's nerveless hands, and lobs his empty helmet into the office, before slinking deeper into the network of passageways. That should get them guessing.

DD+Dex (to disable the warrior-priest quietly) = 9

Got an item: a mace (close, blunt, 1 weight)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As Hex slips up from the shadows and whispers in Aaronow's ear, the priest freezes in place. The stellamagus sees him reach for something in panic, then refrain. Following the old man's hand with his eyes, Hex sees that the office desk has a small brass panel in its underside, a single button in its centre.

"I don't know what you're talking about..." Aarnow says. He waits for a moment, then slumps in his chair, but the motion does not seem to be one of defeat. "Look...I don't want this to be a violent affair. You're bounty hunters, correct? Mercenaries? You've got no reason to care about this city - you'll do whatever you do and then you'll move on. Why make this a thing. Those soldiers will kill you if it comes to that, but I'm more than happy to let you walk away - just take the money and go." He attempts to make eye-contact with Hex, realizes how foolish this is, so turns to Brunch instead. "Yes, a bonus is certainly reasonable. Now why don't you unhand me and we can talk about this?"

He reaches slowly for the quill on his desk and, looking for your approval, makes to write an issue of gold upon Church of the Cog letterheaded paper.

Three, there's an offer on the table but the old man isn't backing down, what do you do?

From behind one painting there is the crunch of metal against stone. Milliner's attack against the guard is effective, but lacks the silence she is hoping for. Taking the mace from the body, she waits and listens. From the tunnel behind she hears the sound of footsteps trying to sneak up on her...

EDIT: She tosses the helmet into the room where it rolls across the ground with an ugly crunch. The hunters see the sudden shock of fear in His Divinity's eyes. Not only did her certainly know about the warrior priests preparing to sneak into the room (as he told you), he certainly did not expect them to be outplayed.

His eyes can the group before falling on the bundle of sticks and shadows that constitute faux-Milliner. His eyes flare with fury.

"You would come here, to my church, attack my soldiers and insult me with this..this...this BLASPHEMOUS fetish! Explain yourselves!

One, someone thinks they can get behind Milliner. You can turn and face them, try and hide in the little space, or pop out into the main room. What do you do?

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 21, 2014

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That oily grin spreads across Brunch's face - he's really not good at false sincerity. "That ain't no fetish. It's our mobile coatrack. On account'a we don't want our skeleton butler gettin' all scratched up." Brunch maintains serious eye contact with Aaronow, but sweat is streaming down his face. He elbows Kozu in the ribs and hisses, "Little help??"

DD (CHA): 2d6-1 6

Something Else fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 23, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain
Load: 10/10 | XP: 4

"Alright, let me see what I can do." Kozu quickly whispers to Brunch, rubbing at her ribs. "Look, I don't even like fetish cheese." she says flipping her hand over with a smile on her face.

Then she scoots closer to his Divinity and whispers a threat to him, poking him with the hilt end of her lightsword, "Play it cool or we'll expose you for the fraud you are and I'm sure whoever it is you're working with doesn't want that either."

Aid(Brunch); Parley(His Divinity): 2d6+1 8 2d6 2
Uh oh...

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Hah! Too true, Cain. Hate the stuff." Brunch chuckles as he removes his golden elbow sheathes, laying them gently into his pouch. "Look, yer Divinity - we already got a boss. His name's Blind Pete an' he's a long ways away from here. An' lemme tell ya, we don't come back with no evidence, he ain't gonna trust us fer any more jobs. As much as we'd love to take yer dosh an' run, that would be of a short-term benefit fer us. An' we're, uh... Long-term thinkers. Obviously. So - maybe ya take us to where the mech's shot mighta landed, all peaceful-like, an' we scoop up some evidence, then maybe we can call it done with. Till then? Yer obstructin' justice."

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 1
Load 0/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 8/9

Milly flattens herself against the nearest wall and stills her breath, fighting the urge to break and run. If she moves, the camo goes, but maybe she can stay quiet enough that they'll never even know she's there. She holds absolutely still as the footsteps creep closer and closer, not even breathing, striving to keep her mind still and calm until the time's right.

DD+WIS = 8

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Aaronow sighs deeply and rubs his temples with one hand.

"Fine. You can't say I didn't make a genuine offer. I appreciate your attempt at leverage, but I am NOT a fraud. I have done, and always will do, what is best for Hol and for The Protector Mech. I'm sorry you can't see that."

Ignoring the sword in his ribs, he lifts his head and calls out.

"Kill them."

Priests rush into the room, all drawing various weapons. Their white and golden robes swish and sway as they spring to action.

A thin man drawing a long sword rushes past Milliner, completely oblivious to both her and the body of his comrade. Unfortunately, his obviousness means that he nearly runs her through with his sword as he draws it. Milliner has an opening to strike, but it'll probably mean taking a minor cut, or she could dodge the blow and lose her chance.

Milliner, you can either roll damage and take damage or simply avoid it altogether and do something else.

Due to her proximity to Aaronow, most of the priests head for Kozu first. A small ring circle tightly in on her, their weapons ready to strike. Beside her, Aaronow begins to show signs of concern, a single bead of sweat rolling down his neck.

Kozu, you're surrounded, what do you do?

To his surprise Brunch finds himself face to face with a short, squat figure of dimensions similar to his own. The priest tears away the robes over his chest to reveal tightly knotted muscles, then grins confidently as he strikes a pose from a rival dwarven fighting school. Being able to remember how this guy is going to fight would probably be helpful for Brunch, but can he?

Brunch, spout lore, Discern realtiy, something else?

Hex is silent as the priests burst in, but they have clearly gathered some kind of intel on the stellamagus. They approach slowly and carefully with long weapons, careful not to get too close. This gives the starman a chance to assess the situation.

Hex, what do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel
8/17 HP, 1 Armor, 2 Ammo, 8 XP, Invisibility, Telepathy x2, Contact Spirits, Cantrips, can't cast while Feston's Invisible

Ah, the pike formation. Each man standing in a line, moving perfectly in sync so nothing could smash its way through or around it without being skewered by one and all. Hex just wants everyone to get out of this stupid church alive, so he draws his cane and points it at the back of Aaronow's head, which he also makes home to a portal entrance. "Stop or I'll shoot."

He only needs them to do so long enough to line up the right shot. Another free floating portal exit winks open beside the last man's kneecap, and moves to align with as many as it can. Ironically, the better the formation, the better this trick will work.

Volley; damage: 2d6+2 8 1d6 1 Ammo.

Hex fires, makes a hissing sound as he still sees knees through his scope and pulls the trigger until he doesn't anymore. "I lied. But I also went legs instead of heads, so don't judge."

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Hooray, the game's back on! I was starting to think you'd forgotten about us.

Milliner Rose
HP 19/19 | Armor 1
Load 0/7 | 4/5 AG | XP 8/9

Milly lets out an explosive breath as the priest blows clean past her, and her camo dissolves into senselessness. "Hi there," she whispers, and clouts the thin man across the back of his neck. She pays no attention to the nasty slice she receives over the top of one thigh, as she steps in to deliver the blow. Just the cost of doing business, really.
Damage = 1 (blunt). How much do I take in return?

But in such tight quarters, her pilfered mace is hardly suitable to take a man out quickly and quietly. Too little room to get a good swing going. She disengages after the first blow, and beats feet further down the passage, in the direction the thin man came from. Aaronow's got another think coming if he thinks he's got a monopoly on sneak attacks and hidden actors...

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Brunch Fiddles | 19/21 HP | 3 Armor | 8 XP

Spout Lore: 2d6+1 11

Brunch cracks his neck side to side as he takes in his challenger - a stout, top-heavy dwarf with huge arms, meaty palms, and thick fingers. Brunch knocks back a healing potion, wipes his mouth on his arm and throws the bottle to the ground with a SMASH.

"Ya gotta be kiddin' me - I thought the Death-Pokers of Hol got ran outta town ages ago. Ain't that what yer little club was called? I mean, I've heard some rumors, but drat... Yer even more embarrassin' lookin' than they said!! What's yer old motto? 'Fingers as strong as arms an' arms as strong as legs'? Haw haw haw!! Well, I got a little somethin' I like to say too, right before I kick someone's rear end."

Brunch recites the Five Stone Points for this chump while they run through their ceremonial stances. Brunch's is a lot like his usual pre-combat centering pose, but some extra intimidation flourishes. The foe dwarf's routine is a bit goofy, what with his fingers flopping all over the place, but he looks like he could do some damage. Too bad about that weak lower body, though. Brunch grins. "Awright then. It's been forever since I had a proper duel. Names Brunch by the way, Brunch Fiddles. What's yer's, so's I can tell everyone who I beat?"

Something Else fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 6, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Kozu Cain

Kozu starts to reach for the OMA which sat ominously(and very heavily for that matter) on her back, but instead drops her hand to the hardlight sword and calls for her mechanoid companion.

"Oh, so it's like this is it? NEMO! It's go time! Let's show these heretical phonies what's what."

She takes a defensive stance and orders Nemo to start firing.

Defend(Self): 2d6+1 9
Hold 1.

"Take their weapons first, Nemo." Kozu demands of her companion who is all too happy to channel Kozu's magics through it's arcane weave projector. So happy that he is not at all careful with it...
Spellshot(Disarm): 2d6+2 9
Several shots placing someone/something in danger.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Bump?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

A strange shadow is cast across the room as Hex works his astral magic. The guard grits his teeth and goes down, a chunk of bone and flesh shot out from the back of his knee. He collapses forward - alive but out of the fight, leaving a vulnerable space in the row of advancing soldiers.

Milliner gets cut in the process of delivering a not particularly powerful hit to a guard running into the room. He may look like he just fell off a turnip truck, but he quickly calculates her positioning, even in the darkness. He slashes out with his sword, then cleverly drops it to the ground to sling his arms around her and purposefully collapse, tackling his assailant down.

"There's one out 'ere!" he shouts into the room. "Hold on little duck, quit your strugglin', I got you now!"

Milliner takes 2 damage, you're now held captive, what do you do?

His dwarfen enemy chuckles, tearing the final scraps of robe away to reveal a tattoo showing a palm with spalyed fingers.

"Names Berag," he bellows in a deep, craggy voice. "High Priest Berag or Champion of The Nine Halls Berag will do equally fine."

He sniffs, assessing Brunch's stance.

"Interesting..."

Then, with lightning speed, he thrusts forward, leading his attack with three fingers on each hand. The air around him seems to twist and ripples around the assault, allowing him to flow across the room as if pulled on wires.

Brunch, he's less than an inch from you, do something about it!

Nemo fires a fragmented bolt that is a little more sucessful than planned. A few of the attacking knights find their pikes immediately flying loose of their hands. There is a general clatter around the room and the careful order and structure of the guard is broken by panic. Some retreat, others continue, the room becomes more like a bar brawl - and the hunters likely have more experience in that situation than the priests.

However, one pike sails up in a long arc, aimed directly for His Divinity Aaronow sat at his desk. His eyes widen as he realises, too late, he is about to be impaled!

Kozu, Nemo do good? Nemo do bad? Who knows, question is what will you do about it?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel
8/17 HP, 1 Armor, 2 Ammo, 8 XP, Invisibility, Telepathy x2, Contact Spirits, Cantrips, can't cast while Feston's Invisible

Hex loves situations like these, when physics hands out justice and he can just rest a while and enjoy the show. His head flashes with light as it records an image for posterity: the last look on Aaronow's face, which he sends to <Sucker. I even warned the old man about the possibility that his own guards might kill him.>

When turnip truck calls out to his allies about his little ducky, the mage's break comes to an end. He takes off like a shooting star through the break he made in the pike formation and into the corridor where he assumes the stolen has been making mischief. When he sees her he gets a sense of déjà vu, as if he'd seen it before: a woman bare, bleeding, and being pursued by kidnappers. But he saw it through a window, and according to his memory there was nothing behind the frosted glass. If it was just a dream, then in that dream he'd been too far away to help. Not like today.

Today he shoves Tess through the back of the pursuer's neck, instantly cauterizing the decapitating wound with her nuclear heat. Then he offers a Milly hand up, her magic cloak back from the hanger puppet, and a jest that sounds like it comes from miles away, "Just thinking of Cozy's innocent eyes..."

damage of tess: messy AP: 1d6 6

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
Milliner Rose
HP 19 17/19 | Armor 1
Load 0 2/7 | (4/5 AG) | XP 8 9/9

"Oh, and not Nemo's?" Milliner says with a wry grin. "Naughty naughty, starman...e-heh." She dusts herself off and shrugs on Grigron's cloak, taking a moment to relieve the late Mr. Turnip of his sword as well.

Got some items:
- Grigron's dimension-shifting cloak. (1 weight, dangerous)
- Turnip Head's sword. (1 weight, close)

"There's more coming. Kept quiet as long as I could. Let's give them a little surprise, hmm? Just need to, e-heh, pick up a few things..." The stolen shuts her eyes and focuses - recalling the hallway niche just outside Aaronow's study, where she stashed her gear against just such an occasion. She turns on her heel as she wraps the cloak around her body...

...and, like an idiot, trips over Turnip Head's turnip head just as a familiar stomach-dropping vertigo hits her. Icy fear washes through her -- her left foot's sticking out! "Hex? HEX--"
Through the Veil = 6 XP marked.

quote:

When you concentrate on a nearby location and use Grigron's cloak, roll +WIS.
On a 10+ pick 2. On a 7-9 pick 1.
-You arrive in the exact location you intend to.
-You arrive silently and without fanfare.
-Your passage through the planes is seamless

Alumnus Post fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 30, 2014

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

Pillbug
e: q != e

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Hex Babel
8/17 HP, 1 Armor, 2 Ammo, 9 XP, Invisibility, Telepathy x2, Contact Spirits, Cantrips, can't cast while Feston's Invisible

"Milly!" Hex remembers when Grigron lost his legs by his own cloak completely second-hand. He'd been blinded and deafened that fight, relying on a telepathic link with the stolen that she had cut off when he needed it the most. He had hated her in that moment, and teased her about the danger of the cloak later on, especially compared to his highly safe and disciplined skill at teleportation, but never for a second did he want anything bad to happen to her. So he dives bodily to catch her, not risking crossing one of his own portals with the hazardous cloak's--

aid milly: 2d6+1 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Hex reaches out and grabs Milliner's hand just as the cloak swirls into a shimmering teleportation nexus. Arcane energies rip and spit like boiling fat across the magical matrix. The two hunters cling to one another desperately as Hex's own inert portalness tear at, and is torn by, the cloak. Blue lightning dances around the two and then, with a blast that shocks the walls, the two fall. The cloak smolders, dancing as if in a high wind. The two hunters remain in the tunnel, untransported and with all their limbs. They think they have got away with it, until blood begins to pour from Milliner's nose.

Milliner, you take 3 damage. Messing with this sort of thing is not good for your vulnerable brain.

Hex, next time you try to use a portal it automatically fails and counts as a 6-(though you don't know this yet). It seems that the cloak has momentarily drains your batteries.

• Locked thread