Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.”
― Mark Twain

What is Blood Bowl?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPwMntjyciM
In Text Form: Blood Bowl is a Games Workshop game made back in 1995 as a Warhammer parody of American Football. It's gone through several rule changes but the spirit of the game remains the same. You play as a team of Warhammer characters in a turn-based football brawl against an opponent.

After one team kicks the ball off at the start of the match, the receiving team takes control of the board. They can choose to move their players, punch opponents and/or pick up/pass/advance the ball. After their turn, the defense takes control and they can punch, move or attempt to get the ball for themselves. Whoever gets the ball into their end zone gets a point. Whoever has the most points, wins.

This is Democracy Blood Bowl, though. What's going to happen is, as I play matches (against goons/y'all), my players will level up and get to pick skills. I'll post about levelups after matches happen, and you guys will vote on which skills to give my players. Build to win, build to have fun, or build to have both or neither, it's on you.

Can I see the game in motion at least?
Yeah sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR3RRV6tKrg
The two points of reference for this game are Football/Rugby and Turn Based Tabletop RPG Combat. There's not a ton of crossover between these two crowds, so you may be walking into this with experience in one, the other, or none, but probably not both.

Alright, but what about <certain mechanic or gameplay question>
Leading up to and through the first couple of matches, I am going to do a series of posts (and possibly videos) discussing the mechanics of the game. They're intended mostly for the people who are interested less in looking at giant lizards cave in the skulls of small halflings and more in how the game works in terms of numbers, stats, and dice rolls.

So what are we doing here, now?
Well now that we've chosen a team, Necromantic, I'm gonna start playing and doing commentary on matches with fellow goon and Blood Bowl dude, Seven Deadly Sins. After just about every match, there'll be some voting to do, either to spend some team earnings or to level up a player. So go watch some Blood Bowl and get voting!

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

What is Blood Bowl?

How to Bloodbowl

(fwiw, this is ~~~my first LP~~~ so the commentary in these first couple matches is kinda rough, sorry)

Post-Match Vote: What do we do with our money? - Save them for a Werewolf

Post-Match Vote: What skill (or stat increase) do we give MacGruff, the Werewolf? - +MA

Post-Match Votes: What skill should we give Beefslab, the Flolem? - Block
What skill should we give Santos Von Hammerstein, the Ghoul? - Block
What name should we give the new Werewolf? - Hungrylike
What do we do with our money? - Second Ghoul

Post-Match Votes: What skill should we give Wight Power, the Wight? - Pass
What do we name the new Ghoul - Ra's al
What do we do with the newly niggled Pelvis Costello, Zombie? - Keep Him

Post-Match Votes: What skill do we give Dr. Wight, the Wight? - Mighty Blow
What do we do with the newly -AV Flesh Prince, Flesh Golem? - Keep Him
What do we do with our money? - Save for a new Wolf

Post-Match Votes:What do we name the new Werewolf? - Blitzer
What skill do we give MacGruff, the +MA Werewolf? - Block
What skill do we give Pelvis Costello, the skill-less, niggled Zombie? - Wrestle
What do we do with our money? - Save it

Post-Match Votes: What skill do we give Santos Van Hammerstein, Ghoul? - Diving Catch
What do we do with our cash earnings? - Save For Flolem

Post Match Votes: What skill (or statup) do we give Franken Castle, the zombie? - Kick
What do we do with our cash earnings - Bought Flesh Gordon, Flesh Golem

Post Match Vote: What do we do with our cash earnings - Save

Post Match Votes: What skill do we give Flesh aaahaah Gordon (Flesh Golem, skill-less, GS access)? - Block
What skill do we give MacGruff (Werewolf, +MA and Block, GA access)? - Dodge
What skill do we give Blitzer (Werewolf, skill-less, GAPS access on doubles)? - Mighty Blow
What skill do we give Dr. Wight (Wight, Mighty Blow, GS access)? - Guard
What do we do with our cash earnings? - Spent on THE HEAD CHEERLEADER, Ghoul

Post Match Votes: What do we do with our cash earnings? - Save it

Post Match Votes: What skill do we give Santos Von Hammerstein? - Side Step
What do we do with our cash earnings? - Bought Two Zombies, Mykill Jackson and Graverobbin Williams

Post Match Votes: What skill do we give Blitzer? - Block
What skill do we give THE HEAD CHEERLEADER? - Wrestle
What do we do with our cash earnings (last open call for team purchases)? - Reroll

Post Match Votes: What level do we give Bonecruncher McGraw, skill-less Zombie? - Dirty Player
What do we do with our cash earnings? - Save

Post Match Votes: What skill do we give Flesh Gordon (Bock Flolem, GS Normals)? - Guard
What skill do we give Wight Power (Pass Wight, GAPS Doubles)? - Accurate
What do we name the new Ghoul? - El Hijo

Post Match Votes: What skill should we give Blitzer (Werewolf, Block/MB, Normals)? - Tackle
What should we do with Santos Von Hammerstein? - Keep

Post Match Votes: What skill should we give Dr. Wight (Normals, MB/Guard)? - Tackle
What skill should we give Graverobbin Williams (Zombie, skillless, normals)? - Kick
What do we do with the fresh kill, Clifford Olsen Twins? - Keep
What do we do with Wolf Blitzer? - Keep

Post Match Votes: What skill should we give Beefslab (Flolem, Block, Normals)? - Guard
What skill should we give El Hijo (Ghoul, Skill-less, Normals)? - Block
Which two zombies do we jettison to get back to 13 players? - Pelvis Costello and Navy Blue

Post Match Votes: What do we do with our spare cash? - Bought Block Pride, Wight

Post Match Votes: What do we give MacGruff (+MA, Blodge Wolf) - Sidestep
What do we do with the newly -AG Wight Power? - Replaced by Wight Privilege
Are we going to jettison one of our gimped superstars? - Replaced Blitzer with The Assistant Coach

Post Match Votes: What do we do with this team in the future? - Option 1, end the LP

Blood Bowl 101
Sometimes I make big ol' posts discussing concepts for people who are interested in picking up and playing Blood Bowl. Here they are. They're meant to be supplementary to the videos, so each lesson might make more sense if you follow the videos in order as well. So, if you're stumbling into this thread right now without having watching any of the videos and have no clue what Blood Bowl is, watch the first or second match, first. Or, it might be better to filter my posts and watch the videos and read the posts in the order I posted them chronologically.

Lesson 1 - What Constitutes A Player? Discussing Player Attributes and Skill Access
Lesson 2 - Assists, Assist Mechanics, and the Guard Skill
Lesson 3 - Goblin Secret Weapons
Lesson 3.5 - Throw Teammate
Lesson 4 - Strategy 1: Caging
Lesson 5 - Strategy 2: Screening

The Hall Of Heroes
WIP, I'm going to keep note of the players who are no longer on the team, if I'm missing any let me know

Hungrylike - Werewolf, Match 3 to Match 5, KIA
Ra's Al - Ghoul, Match 4 to Match 10, Fired
The Flesh Prince - Flesh Golem, Match 1 to Match 7, KIA
Franken Castle - Zombie, Match 1 to Match 12, KIA
Riff Raff - Zombie, Match 1 to Match 12, Fired
THE HEAD CHEERLEADER - Ghoul, Match 11 to Match 14, KIA
Pelvis Costello - Zombie, Match 1 to Match 18, Fired
Navy Blue - Zombie, Match 18 to Match 18, Fired
Dr. Wight - Wight, Match 1 to Match 19, KIA

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 17, 2014

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Lizards

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lizards so everyone can learn to love the wonderchildren that are skinks.

And hate Both Downs.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Necro

Kill them all. :getin:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
:orks: ORKZ :orks:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
High Elf. I haven't seen an elf team done well yet.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Necromatic

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Zeroisanumber posted:

High Elf. I haven't seen an elf team done well yet.

Then you probably shouldn't encourage GNU to play them...

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
I will put in a 3rd vote for Necro.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lizards are really the only choice here if we can't have rats.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Gotta go Necromantic, as much as I like the Dark Elves.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah we need Lizardmen and we need Saurus to shed all the blood in the name of Sotek. All of it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lizardmen for maximum Kroxigor glory!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lizardmen.

Second vote goes to necromantic.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Khorne! Never not frenzy!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
Lizardmen Skinks never say die!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Let's go with Necromantic.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
All snotlings team not on the ballot? pffff

I guess I'll vote for Khorne then.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Khorne unless we can start a revolution and get Ogres.

Actually screw that and lets do Undead cause mummies rule and you'd actually have every skill tree to roll on just about.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 2, 2014

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Khorne will probably be the team with the most deaths because of how AV 7 they are and how bashy they are.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
I wanna see a Lizardman team, probably with dinosaur-themed names.

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
Lizards are boring, once you go Necro you don't go back. Seriously, Werewolves are the funnest unit in the game.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler
Werewolves are definitely fun and lizards are somewhat boring, but since I don't own Chaos edition I'd love to see Khorne.

Forsooth
Nov 11, 2009

Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot.
-Napoleon Bonaparte
We have not seen an elf team in LP form yet so let's go with Pro Elves. It will be fun to see how perhaps the best scoring team out of the box gets hobbled by the goonocracy.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Necromantic

Let's see some maulings in here.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I can't wrap my head around playing Lizardmen, so that's my vote.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Corn

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Necromantic. They have some interesting players, and can be both bashy and agi-y. It's not even all about the Werewolves, all of their positionals are useful and show off skills/trees that are worth knowing about. Lot of stuff to vote on with them, too, and most of their bashy players have skills/stats which mean they can get a lot of SPP early (unlike Saurus until 6) and just keep on trucking after that.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Necromantic

Everybody Loves Werewolves.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

lizards all the way. I love that team.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Necromantic, Undead are my true favorites but Necro is almost as good.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Necro. Love my necro team.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
For democracy, I'd want a team with choice, and choice requires easy GAPS access. M would be nice, but M options outside of previously used teams are limited to Chorfs (who have no AP on normals) and Underworld (who you are racist about).

Humans

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Lizards are the best team.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Necromantic is a delightful team. I love every one of their positionals.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Necro. I'd really like to see the chaos of Democracy Bowl inflicted on a team where the LPer can't just save the apo for the star of team. Add more randomness! Will a Skeleton regen while your level 4 murderwolf doesn't? Let's find out!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Lizards are a poo poo, let's go Necromantic.

I would feel more comfortable with easily replaceable players, and have no love for passing game teams. Murderball all the way.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
One more vote for Necromantic. Fast players, strong players, flexible players. Werewolves are preposterously good, so you can't say no to Necro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
KHORNE

• Locked thread