Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

A&W AT A GLANCE:
  • MP impressions* range from "lovely" to "lovely but too drunk to care"
  • SP impressions are generally positive
  • Major connectivity issues on all platforms
  • Other major issues on PC that I didn't read or care about
  • Terrible spawns in MP
  • If you're on the fence you should wait until December for the release bug shitshow to die down

*from people who play more than 4 hours of each COD game in its lifetime

:flashfap::sotw::tutbutt:HERE IS THE BRAND NEW PC THREAD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679602:tutbutt::birddrugs::megadeath:

PS3/4 clan information:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581206&perpage=40

XBone clan information:
Who cares, post your GT (BOYS is full)

EVEN NEWER FABULOUS OCTOBER UPDATE

It's springtime summer fall, and that means the flowers trees are in bloom, chirping birds life itself makes it impossible to sleep off hangovers, women are wearing less clothing yoga pants and making us all the more sexually frustrated, and, luckily, there's a new Call of Duty being announced released and rampant speculation incessant shrieking from preteen shitheads and retarded YouTubers who badly need to wrench their contorted fingers from their putrid anuses just long enough to string their failed community college exams and academic probation letters into a noose and hang themselves with it flooding in from all corners of the World Wide Web regarding what it will be is like (the same), what will be is new (nothing), what the plot is (lol), how it'll run on PC (haha), and whether it's worth dropping $60 on (does it matter?). From the same brilliant minds that brought us Captain Price nuking the US and "Press X to bark," comes Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

The seventieth installation of the blockbuster hit "Call of the Duty," this Fall's iteration of this smash hit series of re-skins is bound to be highly advanced, albeit remarkably similar to the previous 19 COD games we all hated and argued about and played continuously for hundreds of hours in between posting on Something Awful about how little we played. There will likely be a highly serious clan system that we'll all mock and berate and then unironically take very seriously, stat tracking that isn't as good as Blops I, somebody getting probated for calling people out in the thread like a child, and me baiting people into posting their speed tests. So buckle the gently caress up, because it's (getting to be) officially time for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFu5qXMuaJU

Liquid Stuart's patent-pending 3-question approach to COD Threads
I. Should I buy this game?
A. No

II. What is new in Call of Duty: Modern Advanced Black Warfare Ops 5
A. This installment of Call of Duty brings all new improvements to the smash hit formula, affecting virtually all facets of gameplay and ultimately transforming your entertainment center into a sentient being that will lead you on a journey through the near-ancient distant future, as Captain Price's great great grandfather's ghost's Golden Retriever (voiced by Gilbert Godfrey) pieces together a sinister plot by Kevin Spacey to overthrow Scranton, PA with an army of Roomba vacuum cleaning robots and seemingly innocuous but nonetheless suspicious bags of recyclables. Only one man can help you and finally put down this devious plot, namely Captain Price himself, as nobody else in COD Lore is as fearsome, bearded, or British. Fly through time, rescue princesses, blow poo poo up, enjoy phoned-in voice acting by B-list celebrities that you don't immediately place until months later when you're idly browsing IMDB (did you guys know Idris Elba was in MW3?), then go Oscar Mike, Foxtrot the poo poo out of some Tangos, avenge Ned Stark and put down those loving Lannisters once and for all.

Improvements to this title are as numerous as they are radical, and include:
  • New Game Modes!

• Customizable Classes!

• New State-of-the-Art Engine!

• All-New Maps!

• "Improved Matchmaking!"

• A Campaign!

• Kevin Spacey!

• Exo-suits!
    (...I guess?) Confirmed

:siren:Super awesome and informative factual update based on hard data from the multiplayer reveal that I watched:siren:

It's been quite a week, but I'm now finding myself on a four hour bus ride to New York, so I finally have time to give this thread the update it doesn't deserve. In addition to the tragic death of Robin Williams that even I feel is tasteless to joke about (get help, don't kill yourselves you retards), we found out he had a hot daughter all this time that we never knew or gave a poo poo about. Despite her retreat from the internet, no explicit mention was made regarding Xbox Live, so COD OPs remain hopeful that she might yet pay the ultimate honor a woman can pay a group of ~80 sweaty men--namely, join our Call of Duty clan.

And that brings us back once again to the Call of Duty game that we're all so eager to hear about. As was expected, Call of Duty Advanced Warfare turns the series on its head, and MLG pros the world over report that, like its predecessors, this iteration feels like yet another fresh and novel approach to shooters based on the Quake 3 engine. Running at a full 1080p on PS4 and 1024x768 on Xbox One, Call of a Duty AW immerses you in frenzied combat immediately as players engage in freestyle battles and scream racial epithets at each other using crystal clear next gen voice codecs. Back by overwhelming demand, Kinect users will have full video chat integration in lobbies so they may determine which of them even lifts, while Playstation owners can enjoy new high definition chirping noises from over 130 different species of crickets as they wait for responses in the COD thread.

Gameplay changes in COD A&W's multiplayer revolve heavily on jumping, the philosophy of jumping in the future, post-apocalyptic perspectives on jumping, the role of gender in jumping, and drop-shotting. Players will find themselves jumping like absolute gently caress in A&W, with a new pick-13 class system unlike anything ever seen before, especially not in Ghosts or Blops 2, that gives players over 13 ways to jump. Kill streaks all revolve around exo-suits, in which players can jump so motherfucking hard that they will break poo poo in real life. Gaming experts say that, while this game is basically nothing like Titanfall, which is easy because Titanfall is nothing like COD, which doesn't even matter because every COD game is different, the jumping is just as loving badass and basically it's like calling in a Titan only you're the Titan and you're going up, not falling.

While jumping is certainly the focal point in COD: Root Beer, with developers citing a sore lack of shooters in which people jump around like complete shitheads in the current console market as motivation, A&W features drastic changes to the core gameplay, with new ordnance, guns, and killstreaks. Most prominent in the lineup of new tactical gear is the introduction of a new grenade called the Bicuriator. Enemies caught in the effective radius of this wineglass-like ordinance will take only slight damage, but will find themselves rooted to the ground for a full 15 seconds as Kevin Spacey removes a shard of glass from their hand and then kisses them deeply and passionately. Robert Bowling, Executive Grand Comissioner of whatever company is throwing together this piece of poo poo, cited the need to cultivate tolerance within the COD community as his motivation for the Bicuriator's inclusion, although it has been banned preemptively from MLG.

Other improvements to loadouts include a submachine gun that is grossly overpowered and later nerfed six times until it's merely the best weapon in the game, and shotguns no longer fire any projectiles on the server side at all to provide bandwidth for the revamped theater mode--which, in a similar vein, now simply torrents every PBS Frontline and every TED talk in lieu of recording anything, both to provide the authentic p2p feel of 90's gaming, and to promote COD players to actually loving learn something (although executives admit that someone purchasing their 12th COD game has a grim likelihood of learning anything ever).

Additionally, killstreaks have been toned down a bit since Ghosts; Activision executives who purportedly "knew a thing or two about 'fun'" cited the increased role of psychological warfare in a futuristic world gone mad, and adjusted kill streaks accordingly. New streaks include hot air balloons armed with leaflets incorrectly using the terms "rap" and "hip-hop" interchangeably (18 kills), airdropped care packages only openable by the winner of a 4-minute timing-based QTE dancing minigame (25 kills), a UAV (97 kills), or the Bicuriator Barrage (1 kill).

Details of the gripping single player campaign were also revealed at the event, but at this point I would rather power down my phone and huff the fumes of the heinous poo poo somebody just took on this bus than even pretend to care about a COD campaign.

III. If I want to play with the awful people that post in these lovely threads, how might I go about that?
I have no idea just yet, it's going to depend on the clan system. I would guess the majority of people will be on X360 EDIT: most people are getting it on Xbone (one more reason not to buy this turd). Go ahead and add me on Xbone since I am an idiot and own that and it has a nigh-infinitely sized friend list: GT: Liquid Stuart

Here's a spot for informative posts about the actual game:
General mechanic tips: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3630852&perpage=40&pagenumber=96#post437419956
What the gently caress do weapon stats mean: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3630852&perpage=40&pagenumber=102#post437486221
Weapon attachment stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3630852&perpage=40&pagenumber=102#post437486221

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

RESERVED!!!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The trailer makes it look better than Ghosts at least.

*puts a handgun in his mouth*

Also, excuse me Francis Underwood but we did an okay job installing democracy in japan get owned

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
I like the one-off setpiece QTEs they show in the trailer. I wonder if they'll do anything else.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
*keeps 360 to play BlackOps2 for 2 more years*

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

sba posted:

*keeps 360 to play BlackOps2 for 2 more years*

This but zombies and extinction.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kevin Spacey importing his House of Cards character into a Call of Duty game is the only noteworthy thing about this title.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

Customizable Classes! New for the 25th anniversary, customize 5-10 times as many classes as you'll ever need*!

* Requires $2.99 Micro-DLC to unlock.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Call of Duty game set in the future. Color me surprised.

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

Can I play as or fight Zombie Spacey?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Kevin Spacey importing his House of Cards character into a Call of Duty game is the only noteworthy thing about this title.

Is this legal? Will Netflix/other people who created House of Cards get royalties or payments not to sue? Because this is so clearly Call Of Duty: Frank Underwood. The Call of Duty franchise is worth so much, I can't imagine that the House Of Cards showrunners wouldn't want a slice of the pie (that they undoubtedly deserve; it really does seem like his character from HoC has been imported with little changes).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Worth mentioning: the title makes this game sound like it is a Nintendo game exclusive to the Gameboy Advance in 2002. Or maybe an add on to a lovely collectible card game called Warfare.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Good OP, but there wasn't any info on the Wii U version. Any info on that would be much appreciated.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:
Let's have another 4 months of good, clean fun and anguish.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shakugan posted:

Is this legal? Will Netflix/other people who created House of Cards get royalties or payments not to sue? Because this is so clearly Call Of Duty: Frank Underwood. The Call of Duty franchise is worth so much, I can't imagine that the House Of Cards showrunners wouldn't want a slice of the pie (that they undoubtedly deserve; it really does seem like his character from HoC has been imported with little changes).

Yeah, just like the Tolkien estate gets royalties from every fantasy setting with elves.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I like how they just threw up their hands and gave up on any resemblance to reality anymore.

I'm actually one of those people who enjoyed the batshit crazy MW SP campaigns so that plus Frank Underwood might just make this a must buy for me.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Lazyfire posted:

Worth mentioning: the title makes this game sound like it is a Nintendo game exclusive to the Gameboy Advance in 2002. Or maybe an add on to a lovely collectible card game called Warfare.

You're probably thinking of Advance Wars, a Gameboy Advance game released in 2001.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Lazyfire posted:

A Call of Duty game set in the future. Color me surprised.
It means the SMG's everyone will be sprinting in circles using will have :pcgaming:FUTURE LIGHTS:pcgaming: on them this time around!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

1stGear posted:

Yeah, just like the Tolkien estate gets royalties from every fantasy setting with elves.

I really don't think it's quite so simple. They are clearly using "Frank Underwood" to attract gamers, not just Kevin Spacey. A more reasonable question would be to ask if someone made a game with Ian McKellen as a wise wizard, Orlando Bloom as an elf with a bow etc, would the Tolkien estate get royalties. My bet is that yes, they would.

EDIT: I mean, just look at this thread. Look at every news article about this game. Practically all of them mention House of Cards and Frank Underwood. Activision will be profiting based off a character in a tv show they don't own. Lawsuits are surely incoming or a deal was already struck.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 2, 2014

Spoon Man
Mar 15, 2003

The people that made Point Break should sue the people that made Speed and the people that made the Matrix for stealing the Johnny Utah character.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shakugan posted:

I really don't think it's quite so simple. They are clearly using "Frank Underwood" to attract gamers, not just Kevin Spacey. A more reasonable question would be to ask if someone made a game with Ian McKellen as a wise wizard, Orlando Bloom as an elf with a bow etc, would the Tolkien estate get royalties. My bet is that yes, they would.

EDIT: I mean, just look at this thread. Look at every news article about this game. Practically all of them mention House of Cards and Frank Underwood. Activision will be profiting based off a character in a tv show they don't own. Lawsuits are surely incoming or a deal was already struck.

No one is going to sue because reports about the game mention Kevin Spacey is Frank Underwood of the internet sensation House of Cards. That's like worrying a movie producer is going to get sued because the poster says "Directed by the guy who made this other movie!"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shakugan posted:

An actor being typecast is not a new thing. After Richard Harris (the original Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies) died, McKellen was floated as a potential replacement based off his portrayal of Gandalf. Nobody shouted about this being a clear infringement of LotR's intellectual property because the same guy might play a wizard in two different movies. Alternatively, see Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, or literally any other actor who is frequently cast as a very similar type of character.

Yeah, Spacey was clearly told to channel Underwood, but he's not playing Underwood. He's playing a dude in charge of a super-PMC that's out to conquer the world or whatever. The scenario is entirely different and the background details of the character are likely going to be so different that Netflix wouldn't have any kind of copyright case.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If all else fails they can launch the Call of Duty: Legal Warfare series where you defend Activision from former employees and multimedia companies by shooting up the Respawn Entertainment offices.

Zapper
Mar 14, 2006

Zap!
I want a Kevin Spacey camo for my gun!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Shakugan posted:

What kind of masks are the lawyers wearing? I need to add them to my list.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zapper posted:

I want a Kevin Spacey camo for my gun!

The sound of the gun firing is replaced by Kevin Spacey going "BANG!"

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Even if Netflix wasn't aware of this all they are gonna think is free advertising. Like someone pointed out every call of duty article today mentioned their show.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

This is all a very interesting and novel take on Kevin Spacey being in COD that I hadn't thought of. What legal ramifications COULD there be? Could Call of Duty be coming to Netflix? They do seem to be expanding pretty quickly, it seems natural that they'd go into video-games next...

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dum Cumpster posted:

What kind of masks are the lawyers wearing? I need to add them to my list.

Kevin Spacy spergout isn't as good as mask spergout by a longshot. This game is already worse than Ghosts.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lazyfire posted:

This game is already worse than Ghosts.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Wazzit posted:

Good OP, but there wasn't any info on the Wii U version. Any info on that would be much appreciated.

The Wii U can't handle the revolutionary Kevin Spacey AI and Mountain Dew-encoded DOUBLE XP sponsored by Doritos. Also it's an Xbox One Exclusive*

* as far as everyone is aware

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Can I smoke weed in first person in this game?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Shakugan posted:

I think it's pretty easy to argue that he's playing "generic rear end in a top hat politician," just like how every other character in COD is some generic overdone trope.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Call of Duty Advanced Reskin Fighter 2014 (ALL NEW ROSTERS & SET PIECES) -- Insert Mountain Dew & Doritos credits for QUINTUPLE XP Boost

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I wonder if these Elysium style exo-suits are going to be a core part of the game or just some killstreak. It'd certainly change the map design around if players could leap two stories all the time.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Which rapper will provide his voice for $3 announcer DLC for this game?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ironsights posted:

I wonder if these Elysium style exo-suits are going to be a core part of the game or just some killstreak. It'd certainly change the map design around if players could leap two stories all the time.

Guessing you'll have the exo-suits by default and they'll be like Crysis and you can call in the big motherfucker as a killstreak and it'll be AW's version of the Juggernaut.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mill Village posted:

Which rapper will provide his voice for $3 announcer DLC for this game?

Ice-T, surely.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazyfire posted:

No get it. Because it's not modern any more, it's advanced
Stop buying this

Wait are people for real thinking netflix is going to get mad that Kevy S is doing other roles lmfao

frank.club fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Why... why can't I quit you Call of Duty. :shepface:

• Locked thread