Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:siren:Discord:siren:

What is Tree of Savior?
Tree of Savior is an upcoming MMO in development by IMC Games. It's music is by S.F.A, or Sound Fashion Advisor, which is a group run by the former co-president of soundTemP (More info here, if you're interested). You may remember soundTemP from older games such as Ragnarok Online or Maplestory; in fact, ToS shares more with RO than just some familiar talent behind the music-- some of the dev team that made RO is working on ToS, and they have worked hard to recreate what many found so charming about classic kMMOs.

ToS uses 3D models for its characters and monsters, but they are styled to look like the 2D sprites of old. It's a stylish aesthetic, and it makes the game look great. Each class (and there are many!) gets its own unique costume, and, of course, there are hats. Here are some examples!

DID YOU SAY HATS?

Class System
Tree of Savior claims that it will have 80 classes on release, and while this might not sound believable if you know nothing about the game, in reality it would not be a surprise to see that many (or more!) classes included. Classes in ToS work very differently from classes in your typical RPG: Instead of picking one class and sticking with it, maybe with a choice of branch or two later on, ToS has 4 base classes (Swordsman, Wizard, Archer, and Cleric) with 10 ranks each. Your character has a character level, which determines what kind of gear you can wear and how many stat points you have, and a class level, which determines how many skill points you have and when you can advance to the next rank. You get to pick a new class, or stick with your old one, every 15 class levels.

One interesting mechanic of the class system is the way selecting a new class works. Say you chose Wizard as your base class and have just managed to achieve class level 15 for the first time, opening up your first class advancement. Your options are Pyromancer (circle1), Cryomancer (circle1), or Wizard (circle2). If you choose Pyromancer, you will never again be able to class advance to Cryomancer OR take a second circle of Wizard, no matter how many more class advancements you complete, and vice-versa for choosing Cryomancer or Wizard. Taking a second circle in Wizard basically makes you a Wizard+; it allows you to level up the Wizard skills you already have 5 more times (if you're only first circle in a class you can only get 5 levels in each skill; advancing to the second circle increases the cap for skills you learned in the first circle by 5, the third circle does the same to skills you earned in the first or second circle to their maximum caps of 15 and 10, respectively), and it unlocks some new skills that you would never get access to if you advanced to a different class instead. Taking a rank in Cryomancer will allow you to use new ice-themed skills that a Wizard (circle 2) or Pyromancer would never get access to, and you can, of course, advance to Cryomancer (circle2) or a different class (in this case, Psychokino or Linker) when you unlock your rank 3 class advancement. Every class has 3 circles, each one unlocking new skills and passives (or attributes, as the game calls them) that follow the same theme and allow you to specialize in niches that interest you. Actually, this has been changed! Now, upon reaching a new rank, you can select any class from that rank or ranks below it, even if you have already taken a different class from that class' rank!

Here is a skill builder to help those of you who are still confused: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/ (Probably at least slightly out-of-date at all times.) :thumbsup:

Helpful Tips
  • It's not a bad idea to put all of your stat points at early levels into your primary damage stat, because pots aren't very expensive and killing faster is always helpful.

• BUY ATTRIBUTES! Attributes are passives that enhance or add new effects to your skills. The ones that change the functions of your skills can be toggled on/off, so don't worry about buying something and then not wanting it later!

• Blue flashy monsters give loads of exp! To compare, normal mobs of that level give less than 100 each.

• White/Silver flashy mobs drops loads of silver and items! Gold ones even moreso!

• Do not be confused if a flashy mob did not drop extra items or give extra exp, it was probably debuffed by another player and merely looked the same as a jackpot mob. Disappointing, I know.

• All equipment has a potential stat! This stat determines how many times you can modify or trade that item. An equip loses 1 potential when it's traded, so be mindful and don't use it all up, or you'll find yourself unable to give your old equip to someone else.

• Enhancing only costs silver, and is guaranteed to work on weapons until +5 and armor until +3. Don't worry too much about going past that, though, as items gain a fixed amount of stats per enhance based on their rank. Be aware that if you enhance past the safe limit and fail, your item will have its enhance count reduced by 1 and will lose 1 potential, but if you fail while the item has 0 potential it will explode! Also enhancing weapons past +5 will give twice the attack bonus per enhance it did for each enhance from +1 to +5.

• You can upgrade the gems you find in dungeons or from bosses by feeding them equipment, other gems, or material items. Access the gem upgrade menu by sitting down by pressing "insert" and then pressing "d".

If you have anything to add, post it in the thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01IAG9X6fg

Silento fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I think there was a problem with google translate

quote:

A2) TOS that requires some action sex game. Timing, location and direction of this game will have significance meaning.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Check out this new game inspired by the popular "lovely Anime Grindfest." It's called "lovely Generic Ripoff Anime Grindfest"

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Adam Bowen posted:

Check out this new game inspired by the popular "lovely Anime Grindfest." It's called "lovely Generic Ripoff Anime Grindfest"

How does it feel to be hilariously wrong?

To be fair. RO was a grindfest, but it was a grindfest with soul, and charm, and that kind of stuff. Or maybe it simply my first MMO, my first guild, etc, etc.

That being said, I've been staring at the screenshots and video posted of this ever since it's cropped up about six months ago, and realizing that when anime hats HD comes out, I am loving doomed.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Lorem ipsum posted:

I think there was a problem with google translate

Yeah, google translate sucks. :(

The Korean closed beta is supposed to start this summer, so we'll probably get more info soonish. Hopefully someone like Spadow gets in, who will blog about it and/or make videos.

Adam Bowen posted:

Hey, as long as the anime girls are real anime girls it's fine with me. I would expect you'd feel the same way!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

RO will always have a special place in my heart as my first MMO. So many good times that have long since past on what are now considered (rightfully so) horrible mechanics. If they can deliver a modern approach to the game, and the combat seems to be more arpg like, then I wouldnt mind grinding it out for a while for old times sake.

blippyblop
Aug 5, 2004

Hopefully it will have as many private servers as RO did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I like the graphics at least. It looks like a remastered version of RO.

blippyblop posted:

Hopefully it will have as many private servers as RO did.

Does anyone even care about these anymore though? The only reason why it really happened was to get around the monthly fee.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone even care about these anymore though? The only reason why it really happened was to get around the monthly fee.

More like to up the exp.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I said come in! posted:

I liked leveling a bunch of different stuff to try out and just being able to jump in and go play WoE with my friends more or less, without spending my life trying to level to cap.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The best (and worst) parts of private servers will always be the drama. Grape Squad, never forget!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Silento posted:

The best (and worst) parts of private servers will always be the drama. Grape Squad, never forget!

RIP Grape Squad.

But yeah, private servers were all about lessening the grind. RO is already free to play now, anyway. With the grind reduced, RO was a fantastic MMORPG, albeit with plenty of flaws.

I'm pretty excited about this, though. RO with action combat sounds great to me.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I was pretty certain that this game was dead, I am extremely happy to be proven wrong. The game looks like the love child of RO, Odin Sphere, and Diablo 3, and that is just downright exciting. If it's as mechanically sound as RO was, with some modern gameplay elements on top, I can very easily see it being quite successful.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

More Q&A (in Korean): http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=109604

Hats confirmed!!! :swoon:

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Hundreds of bosses, 80 classes, 200 enemy types... how many types of food can I put on my head???

I said come in! posted:

Private servers run on the microtransaction model (donate :10bux: and pick an item from this list!) and in their heyday the more popular pay to win servers actually made a decent profit. Doubt many are running in the black these days but there's still multiple servers with online populations of 1k+. My point is that a fair number of people threw a lot of money at private server operators in the guise of donations and that the reason private servers took off is that officially run RO servers are unplayable to most people for gameplay reasons. "Just" tripling the amount of experience you get from baseline is considered the extreme low end and multiplying experience by 75 times is still considered "mid-rate" by sane standards.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 14, 2014

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Silento posted:

RIP.

Super duper excited to be disappointed by this game, but the communication from the dev team has been pretty open so far, and they have said they are planning on doing an international release which is good.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

There is now an English version of their blog: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Huh. Wouldn't have suspected that they'd release a translation, and thankfully it's definitely understandable if a little bit engrishy.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Gearman posted:

There is now an English version of their blog: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/

Man gently caress this I wanna see more on that wolfknights game. That looks awesome.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I might be tempted by this if they have a Professor analogue.

Ragnarok was horrible tedious grindy poo poo but holy gently caress was playing a melee professor fun once you actually got there. Just bashing skulls with textbooks while making GBS threads bolts and powerful utility spells everywhere.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This looks really terrible and bad and horrible, much like the OP :clint: Why should I be hyped?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

This looks really terrible and bad and horrible, much like the OP :clint: Why should I be hyped?

You know how some people are pinning for horrible games that remind them of horrible vanilla wow? Then this is the same but with RO.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

rude. >:|

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You know how some people are pinning for horrible games that remind them of horrible vanilla wow? Then this is the same but with RO.

This could have been summed up as MMOHMO :shobon:

Silento posted:

rude. >:|

Low effort OP doesn't deserve any love man. :frogbon:

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love horrible games with horrible devs and horrible mechanics.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Biowarfare posted:

I love horrible games with horrible devs and horrible mechanics.

Nice custom title.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

But hey it's got real pretty sprites.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Really really really pretty sprites. I mean look at how zoomed in that screenshot showcasing the hats is, and they still look great. I am hyped for these sprites.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Blog update with a new (as yet untranslated) Q&A

First English screenshot of the game

Very excited for this game and it is reassuring to see that they really want to release their game in the west.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Someone translated the latest blog post: http://forum.tree-of-savior.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34

It's great to hear they're already planning on an English release! Hopefully it's not done by the community though...

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

They've put up a poll on their facebook regarding international release

https://www.facebook.com/treeofsavior

https://docs.google.com/a/imc.co.kr/forms/d/17UYQTZvFCuB7Q8Dl1x1Z6XHyN5oCa2qByWNQIkjR9nQ/viewform#start=openform

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I updated the OP. :)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

There are gameplay videos in the new blog post: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/

Holy poo poo those graphics! Those skill mechanics!! That hair fluttering as you move!!! :swoon:

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
You can attack and backup while shooting as an archer. I'm sold.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
RO was a bad game, but I loved the music and the enemy sprite art. I wish someone would bring that stuff back, but attach it to a good game.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Q) Are there Assassin or Thief classes?

A) No. We don’t have any criminal classes at the moment.

:smug:

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=259

Looks like they are ending the dev blogs in preparation for announcing the CBT? Sort of a weird announcement to parse.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009

The March Hare posted:

http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/?p=259

Looks like they are ending the dev blogs in preparation for announcing the CBT? Sort of a weird announcement to parse.

Not so much ending as taking a break from posting dev blogs because they're focusing on internal testing before CBT launch. At least that's how I read it.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Aww, hope CBT starts soon so we can get more info. It would be great if there's no NDA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Silento posted:

Aww, hope CBT starts soon so we can get more info. It would be great if there's no NDA!

But I'm too busy playing Maplestory2!

• Locked thread