Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Baldbeard posted:

The issue for me was that unconventional builds, or even many 'conventional' PVP builds added many hundreds of hours onto your leveling time as opposed to a strictly PVE build. Like, at the end of the day you still have to kill 4000 of X mob for that level, and doing it with a build that is not optimized for the task is torturous.

Man I remember when the 2nd classes came out in Beta 2 and people were met with the crushing realization that their level 70+ merchants that they've been using as Vit/Str/Agi characters would never be able to craft anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Countblanc posted:

Man I remember when the 2nd classes came out in Beta 2 and people were met with the crushing realization that their level 70+ merchants that they've been using as Vit/Str/Agi characters would never be able to craft anything

Pretty sure a worse fate was in store for the people who leveled up characters for crafting, since you had to constantly fight monsters that were a fraction of the power of any other class while leveling because of the stat setup.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Clicky Pen posted:

Hello, I am a dumb idiot that still cannot escape RO. Not renewal, the old stuff. Dolphin Fetus nailed one of the main reasons I still play this game, which is to sit down and mindlessly kill things, although I would like to add that anime hats keep me around. There are a few things going on the official servers to make leveling in general easier, though it is still quite a slog if you're into quickly getting to the end content. I just happen to enjoy the slog, especially with weirder characters (woot toot tootles battle priest). Even if I wanted to level fast, I have a few characters I could trade in exchange for leeching something more fun at the killcount flavor of the week/month/???

That said, I'm obviously gonna give ToS a shot, but it might be hard to give up on my original anime mmo love. I read the dev blog once a month or so, but yeah, I still love my RO.

Also, curious, but Quantas, are you the dude I see while I stream?

There's no doubt that RO has the most addictive 'grind' of any MMORPG. Nothing compares to the chill experience of zoning out and leveling on a comfortable map.
It just sucks that the game is based so much off of efficient leveling that it is really difficult to ever take a step back. For example, it seems like I would have a lot of fun leveling a hunter or assassin and just cruise on a map and enjoy myself -- but I know as soon as I start playing I'm going to end up making a heal/buff-slave, and probably a merchant for OC/DC, and well gently caress its only 10$ for that cash-shop item that will save me 20 stat points, and God I guess I have to get started on that TI quest chain.....How much is a thara frog card now, 500billion?

I'd love to play on a fresh low-rate pre-renewal server though.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Is there any timeline yet for when us english-gwai-lo's can enjoy this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SoggyGravy posted:

Is there any timeline yet for when us english-gwai-lo's can enjoy this?

Been wondering this too. Waiting impatiently. :D

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think the next beta phase was going to be international but I dont know.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's this I read about not being able to play with the mouse? That ToS is keyboard only? Is that a mistranslation? That sounds awkward to play if true.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
Yes no mouse, keyboard only. They have said they tried mouse movement but it wasn't as good, so maybe it's not as awkward as it sounds? It might be cool to hook up a gamepad, would be like playing secret of mana or something similar.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It didn't look so bad from what I saw, but only time will tell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would have to try it out at least in order to judge it, but that sounds incredibly awkward. Have the developers not played any other video games before? Plenty of games like ToS use keyboard and mouse and it feels natural and easy. You use the mouse to move around and click on enemies. Why not make it play like RO?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Why not make it play like RO?

Is this even a real question.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Is this even a real question.

At least it has mouse support! A 13 year old Korean MMO has better gameplay support then a modern day MMO is not a good sign.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You still use the mouse for the UI, you just dont use it for combat because of how it works. Its not like they never intended it, they purposely decided to cut it because it didnt work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You still use the mouse for the UI, you just dont use it for combat because of how it works. Its not like they never intended it, they purposely decided to cut it because it didnt work.

I'm interested in how it doesn't work though when there are hundreds of similar RPGs where mouse/keyboard combos for combat work beautifully. Without more info I obviously can't make a judgment call one way or the other, but on paper this sounds really uncomfortable to play.

Does anyone have the default keyboard layout anywhere?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm interested in how it doesn't work though when there are hundreds of similar RPGs where mouse/keyboard combos for combat work beautifully. Without more info I obviously can't make a judgment call one way or the other, but on paper this sounds really uncomfortable to play.

Does anyone have the default keyboard layout anywhere?

Look up a gameplay video, its Binding of Isaac with 9 directions.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 2, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

Look up a gameplay video, its Binding of Isaac with 9 directions.

:gonk: That makes it even worse. Keyboards are not good at 9 directional movements. Very inaccurate, very imprecise. I hope controller support is added.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its no where near as hectic as binding of isaac but as the game is right now a mouse will literally not add anything.

The camera is fixed. Classes can back strafe and attack while walking in directions. Character movement needs to be more precise than what point and click can do for you because of the nature of some of the enemies attacks. At most all I can think about is wanting to use your left and right click as normal attack and alternate attack/block and you should be able to do that if you really want it using remapping software.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I said come in! posted:

:gonk: That makes it even worse. Keyboards are not good at 9 directional movements. Very inaccurate, very imprecise. I hope controller support is added.

The keyboard, a device where you can manually press the microswitches instead of having an additional interface on top of them, is "Very inaccurate, very imprecise". You might just be freaking out over nothing here, just a hunch. Or maybe you're the guy who rants about keyboards being poo poo and then plays precision platformers using an analogue stick.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arzachel posted:

You might just be freaking out over nothing here, just a hunch.

Nah.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

If nothing else, having both hands on a keyboard is a hell of a lot less comfortable than keyboard + mouse.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I like keyboard controls V:shobon:V

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
The game looks like it would be much better with keyboard controls so I can see why they decided on it. It's not a carbon copy of RO.

pertinent
Apr 3, 2009
Guys this game isn't like the rest. Burn it. Burn!

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Clicky Pen posted:

Hello, I am a dumb idiot that still cannot escape RO. Not renewal, the old stuff. Dolphin Fetus nailed one of the main reasons I still play this game, which is to sit down and mindlessly kill things, although I would like to add that anime hats keep me around. There are a few things going on the official servers to make leveling in general easier, though it is still quite a slog if you're into quickly getting to the end content. I just happen to enjoy the slog, especially with weirder characters (woot toot tootles battle priest). Even if I wanted to level fast, I have a few characters I could trade in exchange for leeching something more fun at the killcount flavor of the week/month/???

That said, I'm obviously gonna give ToS a shot, but it might be hard to give up on my original anime mmo love. I read the dev blog once a month or so, but yeah, I still love my RO.

Sup clicky its Locke. Old school for life.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
18 new posts and no moving images or trailers or links to play now websites. Most. Dissapointing. Day. Ever.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I've been playing RO a little less than a month at this point and I think its my most loved/hated game right now. I'm at 91/45 on a sniper right now, fairly addicted but irritated at some things I've discovered, like how expensive enchanting is and the fact there's a % it will destroy the gear you just spent millions on. Tons of people who play, going by the forum, are loving loaded and have poo poo like +9 vanargand or heroic back pack, things I can only dream about getting. I wanted to make a geneticist but don't have much budget so I'll just have to hope zeny gets better once I'm higher leveled.

I'm ashamed to say I've used the cash shop some to help finance my to be ranger. At the very least I have a kingbird elven bow and the white wing set waiting for me, rangers seem to be the easiest to gear but I want a geneticist so badly. They seem so cool with their little homunculi and cart rev-ing everything :(.

Its a real shame we don't have an RO topic, I'd make one but I'm terrible at OPs and don't think anyone would post there. I tried the official forums for help but when people find out you don't have a ton of funds to splurge with they get kind of indignant, "WHAT? NO +9 HBP AND FAW? Heh, get out n00b :smug:". I know Tree of Savior will probably be the same way but drat if it won't be as crazy fun as RO is. Leveling in GH abbey now and having a load of fun killing poo poo, its just gotten very slow now but thank god for the bounty board and eden poo poo.

Sorry for no Tree of Savior info. The lack of mouse control seems...really weird, the clickclickclick fest of RO really defined it. Maybe they'll enable gamepad, it will take me a bit to adapt to keyboard only controls.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2015

Seraphinent
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah and lighten the load, make it more zaaa--ohh, you know!

An RO posts just ring out the usual old guard (Nikopol here) to do the usual old guard things (make bad forum posts, get in cahoots with GMs, potato mice).

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Clicky Pen posted:

Hey Clicky, good to see you here. Yeah, that'd be me. :p

Count me in the camp of people who are weirded out by the lack of mouse support, though otoh if there's controller support it might not be nearly as bad.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I've been playing RO a little less than a month at this point and I think its my most loved/hated game right now. I'm at 91/45 on a sniper right now, fairly addicted but irritated at some things I've discovered, like how expensive enchanting is and the fact there's a % it will destroy the gear you just spent millions on. Tons of people who play, going by the forum, are loving loaded and have poo poo like +9 vanargand or heroic back pack, things I can only dream about getting. I wanted to make a geneticist but don't have much budget so I'll just have to hope zeny gets better once I'm higher leveled.

I'm ashamed to say I've used the cash shop some to help finance my to be ranger. At the very least I have a kingbird elven bow and the white wing set waiting for me, rangers seem to be the easiest to gear but I want a geneticist so badly. They seem so cool with their little homunculi and cart rev-ing everything :(.

Its a real shame we don't have an RO topic, I'd make one but I'm terrible at OPs and don't think anyone would post there. I tried the official forums for help but when people find out you don't have a ton of funds to splurge with they get kind of indignant, "WHAT? NO +9 HBP AND FAW? Heh, get out n00b :smug:". I know Tree of Savior will probably be the same way but drat if it won't be as crazy fun as RO is. Leveling in GH abbey now and having a load of fun killing poo poo, its just gotten very slow now but thank god for the bounty board and eden poo poo.

Sorry for no Tree of Savior info. The lack of mouse control seems...really weird, the clickclickclick fest of RO really defined it. Maybe they'll enable gamepad, it will take me a bit to adapt to keyboard only controls.

Too many people play on too many different shards. Then we all quit after a month, and then we start in again in another 8

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

lemonslol posted:

Too many people play on too many different shards. Then we all quit after a month, and then we start in again in another 8

The system works!

Crateria
Jun 16, 2013

http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/
A nice update today from Hakkyu Kim, CEO of imcGAMES in regards to the International Test.

"We haven’t decided the exact date for the International Test, but we think it will be after CBT2 in Korea. The detailed schedules for CBT2 in Korea will soon be decided."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha apparently they want the english release to be out as fast as possible and they are planning on releasing a rushed translation with open text files that players can edit. Basically open sourced translation.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha apparently they want the english release to be out as fast as possible and they are planning on releasing a rushed translation with open text files that players can edit. Basically open sourced translation.

Harnessing the power of sperg might work out fine if they hire people to do a second pass.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
in before someone writes a script to take random posts off of twitter and put them in random in-game text files

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Carol Pizzamom posted:

in before someone writes a script to take random posts off of twitter and put them in random in-game text files

i fully expect at least one of these to get through if not more

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

This is turning out to be a lazy loving game between this and not knowing how to implement mouse support. I wish I hadn't read anything about this title, the graphics and art style are great, but then I started reading about how the game actually plays, and how lazy the devs are, and ugh.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I know you're trolling but please tell me how you'd implement mouse control in this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I know you're trolling but please tell me how you'd implement mouse control in this game.

I'm not trolling? This game sounds like a piece of poo poo, but i'll let you be disappointed on your own.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I swear if this MMO binding of isaac clone had mouse support it'd be way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I'm not trolling? This game sounds like a piece of poo poo, but i'll let you be disappointed on your own.

You didnt answer me, how would you implement mouse control in this game?

• Locked thread