Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Overview:
The Orcs Must Die! series are 3rd person tower defense games by Robot Entertainment. There are currently three games in the series. The first one is completely single player while the second was mainly designed with co-op in mind and all stages/modes can be played alone or co-op. Third is a free-to-play competitive multiplayer game currently in semi-public alpha.

So these games are tower defense games, right? So that means you make paths and mazes for enemies then watch it unfold, right?
Well yes, these games are TDs, but building paths and watching your towers defeat enemies while you do nothing but sit there with a grin on your face aren't what these games are about. The OMD series is very active and the stages are often tense and hectic. There is some path building (particularly in the second game), but for the most part the series focuses on creating “killboxes” at choke points and blocking off paths to channel the enemies into these killboxes. You do this by placing traps and guardians instead of towers. Traps generally come in three flavors; floor, wall, and ceiling. There are also guardians and these are basically the most tower-like thing in the game. We’ll be making a lot of use of the archer guardians since they’re pretty drat powerful in both games. Finally we have weapons to directly attack enemies when our traps aren't enough. The more powerful weapons tend to use MP. There are some miscellaneous items like the boom barrels and the second game adds another class of items called trinkets but we’ll cover those when we get to them.

On completion of each level the player is given a rating of 1 to 5. Instead of stars like most games the rating is in skulls! These skulls can be used to upgrade your traps and other equipment. The upgrade systems vary from game to game so we’ll go into more detail for the specific games.

The LP:
This thread will be a 5 skull playthrough of the first and second game. Including the main campaigns, DLC, and other modes (except Nightmare mode and maybe OMD2’s endless mode.) The first game has much less content than the second and to be honest is inferior in almost every way. We’ll still play through it though as it does a better job introducing the concepts and has some really fun stages. Since the 3rd is both still in development and a competitive multiplayer game we won’t be covering it. (maybe I'll do a stream or video and mention/link that in the thread but it won't be an official part of the LP.)

These games are about experimentation and there’s a ton of different ways to get 5 Skulls on each stage. So occasionally I’ll be doing alternative takes. For the first video of each stage we’ll be doing them with the equipment that is at hand as any player would first encounter them. Then maybe I’ll go back and use different loadouts or do challenges you fine folks post. (Like "beat Finale using only brimstone," or "Beat a drat level without using the Alchemist's Satchel," etc.)

Since I have all the DLC items we’ll be using them from the start. I promise that they’re not too overpowered and they don’t make the games much easier. This only really applies to the first game which has a much more limited item pool than the second. Ok OK! The Alchemist's Satchel is stupidly powerful in the first game and I'll abuse it to no end, but it's too much fun not to use.

As of right now the commentary will be just be me. If people like this LP and want to jump in to do co-op for the second game or something I’d be fine with that.

When it comes to spoilers. These games are not heavy on the narrative. There’s not much story to spoil, but generally let’s keep the spoilers to a minimum. When it comes to traps, other equipment, and stage names feel free to talk about that stuff. While the first game hides future traps, OMD2 shows everything in the spellbook from the get go even if the equipment is locked.

4 Most Current Videos: (Most recent on top.)

D_W fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Table of Contents:

Playlist
Misc. Videos:
Game Overview - A short overview of the game's mechanics.

Main Campaign:
1: The Hallway - Main - No Traps
2: The Fork - Main
3: The Corner - Main
4: The Baths - Main
5: Runner's Alley - Main
6: Overpass - Main
7: Twin Halls - Main
8: Lunch Break - Main
9: The Stream - Main
10: Sludge Hole - Main
11: Chaos Chamber - Main
12: Chokepoint - Main - No Archers
13: The Arena - Main
14: The Balcony - Main - Alternative
15: The Tower - Main
16: The Library - Main - Glitched
17: The Bridge - Main
18: Killing Fields - Main
19: Rebirth - Main
20: Gateway - Main
21: Hard Climb - Main
22: The Squeeze - Main
23: Stairs of Doom - Main
24: Finale Main

DLC - Lost Adventures:
1: Double Trouble - Main
2: Reverse Tower - Main
3: The Pit - Main
4: Triple Down
5: Great Gorge

D_W fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 16, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

OMD Combo info:
There's been some discussion about the scoring mechanics of these games. As far as I'm aware they both handle scoring in the exact same way. While the final score is effect by things like highest Kill Streak, time relative to the Par Time, and other things, the main way points are generated is by combos. Rogotin from the OMD community wrote up a fantastic guide to combos and explains it way better than I ever could. So if you're looking for a detailed explanation then let me refer you to the link below. But the basics of combos are simple. The more traps and weapons you hit with an orc before it dies then the higher the combo you'll get on that orc and your score from it will increase exponentially. Traps of the same type do not count multiple times and some statuses cancel others out (Frozen cancels out burning and stunned for example.) Unfortunately the leaderboards are full of hackers so you can't trust them.

Rogotin's Combo Bible - This info generally applies to both games, but was written for OMD2.

OMD1 High Scoring 101 by HowdyDoody - An old video explaining some of the methodology of high scores for the first game.

Fan Art: ...?!

"All around me I see Swinging Maces" by Legendsuper

D_W fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 21, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I have only played the second game, once through solo and a second time Co-Op with my Brother. It's the first two levels and all so basically a cakewalk it seems, but if you are trying to show of "5 Star everything", it will carry a bit more weight if like you said in your own OP, didn't use that drat Alchemist Satchel DLC item.

Not against showing off cool toys to kill things, I can't believe the floor scorchers were a DLC item in the first game for example and I can't think of Orcs Must Die without them now. But so far you have made it sound like your 5 Star run in the first game hinges on your ability to use the Satchels. Obviously not the case for just the first two levels where it would only make things more interesting considering the small amount of starting equipment. But if the first game ramps up anything like the second one, could get old without making your alternate takes Less Satchels, instead of showing off clearing the level without a single trap thanks to them.

EDIT: Good to see I'm not the only one who had the same thought process regarding the Crossbow headshots vs bladestaff, if in the second game.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 3, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh don't worry I use the Alchemist's Satchel much less once larger enemies are common as its completely useless against anything that can't be dealt with a single head shot. I've already noticed that should really switch up the weapons I use move often especially since I don't have worry about upgrading them like I do the traps, so after episode 5 (what I have recorded so far) I'll be making an effort to do so. The first 6 or so levels of the first game are really pretty pathetic even with the tools they give you. They really ease you into it. Which I suppose is understandable considering it doesn't have a large variety of enemies.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
It's kind of amusing that you don't think the points count, because the points are your gauge, not just for completing the level, but how stylishly you do it. And you're actually missing a few tricks as a result of this thinking.

For example, yes, tar traps aren't necessary. But they're a great way to get orcs to bunch together, which makes the arrow traps lots of other traps so much more effective. Also, there's the little thing called Combo. Combo is a bit weird, because it calculates how many different effects are hitting the orc at roughly the same time (so Freezed+Burned doesn't give combo, but Bleeding+Burned does, and, as you might expect, Bleeding+Burned+HEADSHAWT is better than both). It's a fairly small window, though, so you really have to plan. Remember, while the Orcs Must Die, it's coolest if you kill them in a way that leaves no doubt to the next group of Orcs that they're hosed.

I'll talk a bit about the bladestaff when it becomes important to do so though, but suffice to say, without the DLC, it's one of your only early game options.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 3, 2014

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
The banner is stretching out the page, you should probably do something about that.
Unless that is once again my fault for not having a 3000x4000 screen or whatever LPers like using for HD videos on host sites.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ah, Sorry about the banner. It is absolutely your fault and you should feel bad, but since I'm a nice guy I shrunk the image a bit. (Honestly it was actually too big. Thanks for pointing that out.)

JamieTheD posted:

It's kind of amusing that you don't think the points count, because the points are your gauge, not just for completing the level, but how stylishly you do it. And you're actually missing a few tricks as a result of this thinking.

For example, yes, tar traps aren't necessary. But they're a great way to get orcs to bunch together, which makes the arrow traps lots of other traps so much more effective. Also, there's the little thing called Combo. Combo is a bit weird, because it calculates how many different effects are hitting the orc at roughly the same time (so Freezed+Burned doesn't give combo, but Bleeding+Burned does, and, as you might expect, Bleeding+Burned+HEADSHAWT is better than both). It's a fairly small window, though, so you really have to plan. Remember, while the Orcs Must Die, it's coolest if you kill them in a way that leaves no doubt to the next group of Orcs that they're hosed.

I'll talk a bit about the bladestaff when it becomes important to do so though, but suffice to say, without the DLC, it's one of your only early game options.

Points really don't matter for getting 5-skulls. Your score and rating are completely separate. You can be on the top of the leader board and only get 1 skull on the level. As of right we can't really go for a decent score. I'll probably do some score focused stuff for the alternate take videos. I'll be doing a video about how scores, chains, and combos work in this game eventually. The basics of it are getting more streaks and combos generates you more coins to spend on traps. I assume that's the tricks you're mentioning.

Yes, Tar traps are amazing. Probably the most useful trap in the game. Especially upgraded! Just not needed for the first two levels. I think the Tar trap is the only piece of equipment that will appear in every video besides the crossbow. At least for the first game.

D_W fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 4, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are you accepting submissions for alternate solutions - something to prove that the bladestaff is absolutely awesome and the like?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Haha. Sure.

Since my last post I've been reminding myself of the exact mechanics and noticed how some high score masters use the bladestaff to great effect. It's still pretty awful compared in general play to other weapons, but it is good for adding extra combo points.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
These games are fantastic. They're not without flaws (some levels require you to lose them the first time around and memorize when the enemies are going to come from where) but they're probably the most satisfying TD game I ever played.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Here's two newly uploaded episodes for the main play through.

The Corner - Main - Where I show off unprecedented skill at using chandeliers.
In this level the game introduces two things. One is environmental traps such as the Acid Vats and Chandeliers. The other is a new enemy type, the Orc Crossbowmen. These guys are one of the most annoying enemies in the game since their AI is a bit bizarre.

The Baths - Main - Where I blow some orcs really hard.
This level introduces one of the best weapons in the game, the Wind Belt. It'll be a very common companion through the rest of the game. I actually re-recorded this video a couple of times to get the strategy right. The one I ended up using is really solid. The arrow placement really destroys the default pathing of the orcs.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
This is easily one of my favorite series out there, that said I'm surprised you can get some use out of the lit traps. I've tried many many many times in various configurations and.. Honestly they feel like a waste of a trap slot. Too costly and too slow to recharge even with upgrades.

That said, the boom barrels on the other hand are fantastic. While normally I don't care too much for disposable traps, a few barrels can take down even the meatiest of waves. And if you're good, you can chain a bunch from start to end to cause a chain reaction of boom. Excellent for having something to fall back on when enemies get through or for when you have tougher enemies.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

The Shock Zappers are great in a lot of ways. Ceiling Traps are sort of the ugly duckling of traps in this series. Most of them are meant for very specific low ceilings. The shock zappers are the only ones with any sort of range. At least in the first game. Because of this you can put them in a lot of bizarre places and make some really interesting killboxes that just couldn't be done in any other way. Just wait til I get to The Balcony. I have a pretty non-standard way of 5 Skulling that stage using mostly Shock Zappers.

I never really used Boom Barrels until I realized something about them. Instead of "setting and forgetting," placing them right before a trap is going to go off so the barrel explodes with the trigger of the trap. It really changes the way I see them. There's some really cool things you can do with a related trap in the second game that I wish I could figure out how to use more reliably.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Its been a while since I played, but if I recall right, most of the places you need ceiling traps have a FAR better one than the shock zapper. Though I can only remember two? ceiling traps at all in the first game.

I can't recall though, is the Dispenser in this game or was that only added in 2?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeesh, I thought Crossbow guys were mildly annoying in the sequel. The damage and range on them in the first game makes them look like pro snipers by comparison. As for pulling off your own headshot chains, is there an upgrade in the first game to make headshots give you mana like in the second? Because a lot of tougher sequel enemies I dealt with or softened up using liberal Stun-Headshots refiill mana-stun loops.

My personal most hated enemy type has not shown up yet. I will be making rude gestures at the screen when they do.

EDIT: Though a quick peek at some wikis, while the base variety shows up soon, the version of them I hate most will not show up until quite a while down the line, outside of Nightmare.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 7, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DeliciousCookie posted:

Its been a while since I played, but if I recall right, most of the places you need ceiling traps have a FAR better one than the shock zapper. Though I can only remember two? ceiling traps at all in the first game.

I can't recall though, is the Dispenser in this game or was that only added in 2?

The low ceilings are for the Pounders and Swinging Mace. They both do so much damage especially when combined with tar traps. The shock zapper's strength is really the range.

Yeah, Dispensers are only in 2. They're an interesting trap, but I've never really been able to use the effectively. I'll mess around with them more when I get to that game.

Section Z posted:

Yeesh, I thought Crossbow guys were mildly annoying in the sequel. The damage and range on them in the first game makes them look like pro snipers by comparison. As for pulling off your own headshot chains, is there an upgrade in the first game to make headshots give you mana like in the second? Because a lot of tougher sequel enemies I dealt with or softened up using liberal Stun-Headshots refiill mana-stun loops.

My personal most hated enemy type has not shown up yet. I will be making rude gestures at the screen when they do.

EDIT: Though a quick peek at some wikis, while the base variety shows up soon, the version of them I hate most will not show up until quite a while down the line, outside of Nightmare.

You can get that upgrade for the crossbow temporarily with the Knowledge Weaver I believe. We don't have access to the weavers yet in the main playthrough, and won't be able to use that one until the stage called Rebirth. Unfortunately the temporary weapon upgrades just aren't as useful as the trap/guardian upgrades. In the second game Weavers were replaced by a more robust spellbook upgrading mechanic. Though there is a lore reason as well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyways, what's the joke about "Gaurdian"?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

... Oh gently caress. A typo I didn't notice. Well that's embarrassing! How can I fix that?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

D_W posted:

... Oh gently caress. A typo I didn't notice. Well that's embarrassing! How can I fix that?

Oh, you kid. It's totally a joke about... you know... that. Yeah.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

You're right. It's actually a joke of such high wit and absurdity that any sort of explanation would make me appear as such a comedy snob that the mere notion that it was a mistake instead of a joke would be as inconceivable as the stellar wit which crafted it. So I had to make up that it was an accident as to not give away the joke. Unfortunately I am exposed.

(No, I have no idea what the hell I just typed, but we might as well make a running gag of the typo.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

D_W posted:

If you PM one of the mods they can change the thread title.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Here's the main series video of stage 5, Runner's Alley. I wanted to get the video of stage 6 up as well, but I didn't have time to record the commentary yet and will be pretty busy over the next couple of days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJzNf22azE

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason why you didn't put the archers on the upper level instead?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yes. It's better to line up in the middle of a lane like that for two reasons. They shoot a lot more and provide a sort of shield/plug. When they're up on a ledge like that they don't tend to be very effective since they're vision is eventually blocked. They don't really have good vertical sight. Enemies will stop in front of them to attack you can use this to set up killboxes right in front of your archers, then any orcs that get through will stop usually for long enough that traps will reset. This isn't really shown well in this video. I could have done a better job setting things up honestly.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Is there a reason why you didn't put the archers on the upper level instead?

I was thinking this too while watching, but I don't think they'd be as effective up there.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
On the subject of ceiling traps I actually LOVE them in this game*most notably the swinging mace* to the point of contriving circumstances to shove people through them. Next game though....my poor mace got nerfed to uselessness. :cry: I still find a few uses for ceiling traps but yeah my go to solutions of the first game*alchemist satchel, axe wall, swinging mace, wall grinder* were all nerfed incredibly forcing me to change how I handled things a lot.....honestly probably a good thing. I look forward to seeing some new ways to crush massive numbers of orcs.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Hey, I remember writing some strategies for the wikia of this game, going through various other Let's Plays and jotting down which mobs came out so I could write a detailled report: http://orcsmustdie.wikia.com/wiki/Runner%27s_Alley I never knew how to hack games or read game files so I literally wrote down what mobs came out from which door on pen & paper, which might explain any mistakes you'll find in the listings. All strategies were my own as well.

At the risk of backseat LPing, I would suggest putting spike traps near the start whenever you come across Crossbow Orcs, especially if you expect them to trade fire with your Guardians. Also, I literally cringed when I saw you put Arrow Walls to hit enemy mobs from the side... Oh, and when you put them face-to-face, even asynchronously in a previous video.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Fuckin Kobolds. They are why my childish attempts at "COVER THE ENTIRE FLOOR WITH SPIKE TRAPS! It will be awesome and they are low cost :downs:" were abandoned in the sequel. They run so fast they just trigger stuff and get out before it can even hurt them. So a few cheap traps down the line to catch people who get by don't work on them in a lot of cases.

Which lead to my addiction to "Floor scorcher, tarpit, floor scorcher, repeat as desired", when it came to floor traps in general, and unsupervised safeguarding of wooden barricade blocked branch paths :v: Budget issues in levels of course, meant this was not always as practical or doable as desired. But then my desire is "cover entire floor with tarpits and floor scorchers".

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

After having a very busy weekend showing my mother all around Seattle I've finally had some time to work on this LP.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SArkosMxWKI

Neige posted:

Hey, I remember writing some strategies for the wikia of this game, going through various other Let's Plays and jotting down which mobs came out so I could write a detailled report: http://orcsmustdie.wikia.com/wiki/Runner%27s_Alley I never knew how to hack games or read game files so I literally wrote down what mobs came out from which door on pen & paper, which might explain any mistakes you'll find in the listings. All strategies were my own as well.

At the risk of backseat LPing, I would suggest putting spike traps near the start whenever you come across Crossbow Orcs, especially if you expect them to trade fire with your Guardians. Also, I literally cringed when I saw you put Arrow Walls to hit enemy mobs from the side... Oh, and when you put them face-to-face, even asynchronously in a previous video.

Hey, thanks for doing that. It's actually been pretty helpful for this LP. Shame no one did that for the second game. Also you'll probably do a lot of cringing then. But you're right about arrow placement. Generally you want them facing the line like in the Baths video. It's just not always possible/practical.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Level 7 - Twin Halls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGGgDyMYds

This level gives us a look at how a lot of the future levels are going to be designed. It's still very much a tutorial-esque level like most of Act 1, but it's relatively large with a lot of places where we can set up kill boxes. We're introduced to the Spring trap here. The spring trap is a lot of fun but is unfortunately not all that useful unless there is lava or acid. In the second game this changes as we have things like the void wall and some other tools to make them more generally useful.

We're also introduced the Ogres. These guys aren't to hard to deal with in this stage, but can be very dangerous to tackle alone and extremely dangerous when they appear in groups.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly, I just can't wait for you to get to the second game since it's co-op and I do have that game.

That said, it's fun to see your thought process in glorious orc flinging/zapping/skewering/shooting action.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the spring trap. Watching orc majestically soar through the air never gets old. Too bad they're so situational and become even more so in the sequel.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I usually spend so much time watching the orcs get mauled by traps that I miss important things happening elsewhere. Spring traps are really fun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that this LP is precisely what I need since I love the game but apparently I'm also mighty poo poo at tower defence games in general so all gameplay hints are appreciated.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Honestly, I just can't wait for you to get to the second game since it's co-op and I do have that game.

I'm calling dibs :)

Never got to play the sequel in co-op, since I got it at a sale quite a while after it came out. (But still long enough ago that I'd need some perfectly natural exposition as to how the game works)

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'd Honestly like to get in to some Co-op action as well. Maybe we should make a roster.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hehe. Thanks to all of you showing interest! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure really what to do with the co-op videos for OMD2. We could do the whole campaign, just endless mode, or everything. Then do we do live commentary or post? Do we do edited dual POV or just one person's POV? Should I only have one guest or rotate out between multiple guest choosing whoever is available to record?

It'll probably be live commentary and much more casual with who ever is available since that would be the easiest. Then I could have the solo videos to talk about the strategies for each piece of equipment and each new enemy.

Then there's the matter of character selection. There are two characters to choose from in OMD2. They're mostly the same but vary slightly in some important ways. (example: The Warmage has tar traps and arrow walls where the Sorceress has ice vents and acid sprayers.) I was thinking of allowing the thread to vote on which character is used for each main play through attempt at a level. We also need names for these characters. Well not really, but the profile for each needs a name. Suggestions are open!

Anyway I have recorded up to level 10 of OMD1. That's about a 3rd of the way through the game. I may go and do some alt attempt videos for a couple levels. Are there any that you guys would like to see? These would probably be with my max level character.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, I'd like some real tarpit love, not too worried about the level, because tarpits are drat useful. As to player names, the guy will obviously have to be Ash (Because c'mon, the reference is obvious, and becomes moreso with the second game!), and the lady will be... Oh, I dunno... How about Maleficent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest the Sorceress for the second game since the War Mage IIRC got only one new toy (blunderbuss) and I'd love to see the game done without tarpits - I keep relying on them to do just about anything.

• Locked thread