Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I didn't play very far with the sorceress in my game (Though I did finish normally with the war mage), I called her Ms.Andry In her save file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
You're taking requests as to what toys to show off? Here's a hard mode for you: Steam Traps

I swear the dang thing is bugged to Hell and back. A fallen mob seems to be that much more difficult for any of the traps to target, and that includes the Archers. It is the worst trap. I wrote a Nightmare strategy for Steam Traps in the next level, but honestly I can't vouch for it's efficiency.

EDIT: Names? Chin McGuinn

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

D_W posted:

Hehe. Thanks to all of you showing interest! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure really what to do with the co-op videos for OMD2. We could do the whole campaign, just endless mode, or everything. Then do we do live commentary or post? Do we do edited dual POV or just one person's POV? Should I only have one guest or rotate out between multiple guest choosing whoever is available to record?

It'll probably be live commentary and much more casual with who ever is available since that would be the easiest. Then I could have the solo videos to talk about the strategies for each piece of equipment and each new enemy.

Then there's the matter of character selection. There are two characters to choose from in OMD2. They're mostly the same but vary slightly in some important ways. (example: The Warmage has tar traps and arrow walls where the Sorceress has ice vents and acid sprayers.) I was thinking of allowing the thread to vote on which character is used for each main play through attempt at a level. We also need names for these characters. Well not really, but the profile for each needs a name. Suggestions are open!

Anyway I have recorded up to level 10 of OMD1. That's about a 3rd of the way through the game. I may go and do some alt attempt videos for a couple levels. Are there any that you guys would like to see? These would probably be with my max level character.

Quoting this so it doesn't get lost on the bottom of the first page.

Keep names coming. It'll be awhile til their used, but I keep an eye on ones I like/plan on using.

Neige posted:

You're taking requests as to what toys to show off? Here's a hard mode for you: Steam Traps

Oh we'll get to that little treat. I messed around with it a bit in test/planning levels and it's pretty useless in the first game. I think I have some ideas of how I could use it well though. Just have to find the right stage.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I too would be willing to step in for OMD 2. Steam Major_JF

Side note: It has been awhile since I played OMD 1 but I thought you could explode the alchemist satchels with a right click. Sorry, if this has been stated already I am catching up on the videos.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Major_JF posted:

I too would be willing to step in for OMD 2. Steam Major_JF

Side note: It has been awhile since I played OMD 1 but I thought you could explode the alchemist satchels with a right click. Sorry, if this has been stated already I am catching up on the videos.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in at least one video. Regardless any time you see that the satchel is equipped and the war mage's right hand goes up its me pressing the right mouse to trigger the explosion.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

D_W posted:

Hehe. Thanks to all of you showing interest! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure really what to do with the co-op videos for OMD2. We could do the whole campaign, just endless mode, or everything. Then do we do live commentary or post? Do we do edited dual POV or just one person's POV? Should I only have one guest or rotate out between multiple guest choosing whoever is available to record?

It'll probably be live commentary and much more casual with who ever is available since that would be the easiest. Then I could have the solo videos to talk about the strategies for each piece of equipment and each new enemy.

Then there's the matter of character selection. There are two characters to choose from in OMD2. They're mostly the same but vary slightly in some important ways. (example: The Warmage has tar traps and arrow walls where the Sorceress has ice vents and acid sprayers.) I was thinking of allowing the thread to vote on which character is used for each main play through attempt at a level. We also need names for these characters. Well not really, but the profile for each needs a name. Suggestions are open!

Anyway I have recorded up to level 10 of OMD1. That's about a 3rd of the way through the game. I may go and do some alt attempt videos for a couple levels. Are there any that you guys would like to see? These would probably be with my max level character.

If you're worried, you can show off the story co-op as bonus videoes. See how it feels, and what works for you.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

There's no separate co-op story fortunately. So that's not a concern. The stories for both games are just still screens with dialogue and the short bits of dialogue at the start of most levels.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

D_W posted:

There's no separate co-op story fortunately. So that's not a concern. The stories for both games are just still screens with dialogue and the short bits of dialogue at the start of most levels.

Yeah, it's kind of weird to play through single-player too, because you have the two characters talking to each other, but only one of them is around.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Sorry for the delay.

Level 8 - Lunch Break
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sdukuC9jzs
In this level we're introduced to the Wall Blades. These are one of the most highly damaging traps in the game, but have longish cooldown. I really like them and use them occasionally, but once we have access to the Grinders the Wall Blades just aren't as useful. As for the level itself. It's pretty classic. Usually I set up barricades and draw enemies through to a single killbox. I didn't do that this time and instead used a variation on the killbox I used in Twin Halls.

One other thing I like about this level is the story intro. These games are pretty light and sort of happy-go-lucky most of the time, but this stage paints the consequence of letting Orcs through the Rifts. The Rifts, if you don't know, are what gives the world of the humans/elves/dwarves/giants/etc magic. I don't think the magic comes from the Orc world, but rather from the tear made by the rifts. At least that's how the devs explain it for the third game. The lore is pretty light and loose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm very disappointed you haven't reached the guardian limit yet. :colbert:

D_W posted:

At least that's how the devs explain it for the third game.
There's a third game coming? Cool.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Poil posted:

There's a third game coming? Cool.

It's going to be a MOBA :negative: :suicide: :smith:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Isn't this a MOBA? Only in third person and actiony?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, it's kind of weird to play through single-player too, because you have the two characters talking to each other, but only one of them is around.

If you play as the woman it still plays the guy's reaction voice clips to everything. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zedd posted:

It's going to be a MOBA :negative: :suicide: :smith:
Oh. So two teams of apprentices guarding their side's rift and sending waves of orcs at each other?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xander77 posted:

Isn't this a MOBA? Only in third person and actiony?

Nah. It's a tower/trap defense game with third person action elements.

MOBAs are defense games but PvP and much more like an RTS than any other genre. Including the control scheme.
Which considering what control schemes in RTSs are like I find them to be just a horrifying ugly mess to play. It speaks volumes about a type of game where the challenge lies in mastering an obtuse control scheme.

Poil posted:

Oh. So two teams of apprentices guarding their side's rift and sending waves of orcs at each other?

You know if it did that while it kept this sort of control style I might actually find it fun.
Though I dont have a single idea how they will balance the game if they kept the trap/tower elements in.

[e]: thinking about it Orcs must die was born out of a tower defense fad, only makes sense for them to be following the newest one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 19, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Oh. I thought tower defense games were MOBAS.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Oh. I thought tower defense games were MOBAS.

No, MOBAS are when you take a rts and only control one of the heroes. Tower defense is when you take a rts and can only build things. See completely different. :downs:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

No, it's not a MOBA but has MOBA-like elements too it in the way that certain FPS modes or the competitive mode from Future Cop: LAPD have MOBA-like elements. OMDU will be free to play though. The term "MOBA" or "MOBA-like" gets thrown around too much on things that are common competitive game mechanics or common free-to-play elements usually as an insult or negative point to a game by folks that haven't played it.

I would describe it more like two concurrent but opposite games of OMD. Each team has an offensive lane and a defensive lane. The other teams defensive lane is your teams offensive lane. The amount of lanes varies from map to map, but so far they've only publicly tested a 2 lane and 3 lane map (meaning each team has 2 or 3 offensive lanes.) Waves have regular countdowns and minions spawn from war camps at the end of a lane. You decide what minions you personally want to spawn. War camps have levels that need to be upgraded so more powerful minions can be spawned. Minions from opposing teams never meet.
There are concepts like pushing a lane and there are different characters with unique abilities bound to buttons like "Q" and "E," but the game feels like playing an OMD game. Your load out is still very customizable and you can use a lot of the same skills for setting up killboxes. Just now you have to deal with enemy players.
As for the free-to-play model, everything will be on a card (which you may have noticed has been that way since OMD1.) You build a deck of your loadout (traps, weapons, trinkets, and glyphs), weavers, and minions. Then at the start of a match when you're choosing your character you also pick which of your decks you want to bring along. Weavers are basically your shop equivalent if you want to think of OMDU as a MOBA. Right now they just have a list of upgrades you can spend your coins on. You can bring three into a match, but can only buy from one just like how they behave in OMD1 (we'll get to weavers pretty soon in the LP!)

Single player and co-op challenges are planned according to the lead designer. I don't know what those modes will be like as they're not in the alpha.

EDIT: MOBA is also more of a gametype (like CTF or deathmatch or prop hunt) than a genre. It's held on a specific map and has specific rules. Things like having a shop, heroes with specific abilities, multiplayer with AI minions, etc, are such generic mechanics they really shouldn't be considered only part of one game mode and all other games that have them are thus that game mode. You could have a 64/128 player FPS with the MOBA diamond map, turrents, no minions, and it would be more MOBA-like than OMDU. Point is that it's a dumb topic and off-topic so let's go back to discussing various ways to slaughter cartoonish orcs please.

Poil posted:

I'm very disappointed you haven't reached the guardian limit yet. :colbert:

I know. I bring shame and dishonor to my friends, family, and ancestors. These levels haven't really called for the need to do that yet.

D_W fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 19, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?
I'm enjoying the LP. I played the first Orc Must Die around the time it first came out, and this LP is making me consider buying the second.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Momplestiltskin posted:

I'm enjoying the LP. I played the first Orc Must Die around the time it first came out, and this LP is making me consider buying the second.

:D Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that. The second game is worth it. If you want I believe I have a steam code for it and the first game laying around. I think the code is for both games though. Also I'll have a beta code for OMDU (the third game) in a couple weeks when it goes into beta. I'll post it here when I have it if anyone is interested.

Level 9 - The Stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZuM6wdlxo8
In this stage we're given the Steam Traps. I was challenged to use them for a video, this is not that video, but I will use them later on. They're not great in this game at all, but I'll find a use for them. This is also the first stage where flyers appear. These guys aren't so bad. The shoot fire balls if you get to close which are only really a probably if you get swarmed by them. We don't see that in this video. The best way to deal with them is with a weapon we don't have yet. The second best is to headshot them which can be a little tricky. Flyers are uncommon in this game appearing in only about 8 of the 29 levels.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I just went and read about OMD Unchained and it does sound very MOBA-y. However, it sounds a lot more like the Monster Carnival in Maplestory. The gist of that is that 2 teams fight a bunch of continuously spawning enemies, but they aren't allowed to attack each other. The only way to interact with the opposing team was to a) buy higher level monsters to spawn for the opponent, b) debuff the opposing team, or c) buff your team. You got points for killing spawns to use on those three things, but the cumulative points count towards the final score, and whoever had the higher score at the end won.

I hope Unchained is more like that than a typical MOBA in that killing orcs gives you points to buy more traps or buy more difficult waves for the opponent to deal with.

As for that level, I went through and watched that part where a kobold somehow makes it through to see if I can pinpoint how, and I think I got it. At that moment, there were 2 kobolds that went by you: 1 ran past, and another got launched. You tracked the one that ran past and shot it, but it turns out that the one in the air landed right behind where you shot the runner, hidden amongst the legs of the archers, so you didn't notice he was there. For some reason the archers didn't shoot him till he took off.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I'd suggest the Sorceress for the second game since the War Mage IIRC got only one new toy (blunderbuss) and I'd love to see the game done without tarpits - I keep relying on them to do just about anything.

He gets two. I think both characters have two unique weapons? His are (the blunderbuss and the dwarven hammer). The second character gets the (Domination Scepter and the polymorph ring)

As for OMDU, its very much a MOBA in the same vein as something like Monday Night Combat is. MOBAs typically are games where you need to assault an enemy's base with four heroes with unique movesets and have waves of trash mobs following you to help push things like Towers. Pretty much its just a MOBA without the RTS control scheme really. If I recall right, it plays quite a bit less like OMD simply because theres FAR less traps you can place down. I think each person is limited to like four or six? Something like that. Also, you can attack each other and kill the other team's heroes. However I think the only thing that can destroy the other side and win it are the minions on your side. So you have to help push them through.

Also, I recall someone mentioning they haven't played Coop in OMD2, if anyone wants I'd be happy to throw my name in the hat to play with em. Love the game.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

There is a trap limit and it depends on the map. 13 for the 2 lane map and 20 for the 3 lane. It's enough when you have 3 to 5 people all laying traps. They may remove it in favor of a team limit. But the game is still super early. They're really figuring things out. Right now the game is pretty unbalanced. Ogres are really powerful. There's an anti-player trap that is really powerful. Physics traps and weapons aren't in. But the base game feels just like classic OMD. I would say give the game a shot when it comes. It'll probably surprise you how different it is from other multiplayer games.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

DeliciousCookie posted:

Also, I recall someone mentioning they haven't played Coop in OMD2, if anyone wants I'd be happy to throw my name in the hat to play with em. Love the game.

I too would be willing to mess around and play the levels

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only use I can find for steam traps is to either lift orcs up into another trap, which seems kinda crappy, or as an expensive way to attempt to clump the orcs together more. But I never actually used them after trying them out once so I could be wrong. :v:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Steam traps are instrumental in orc perpetuum mobiless, but you'll only constract those once in a while when you're bored.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Poil posted:

The only use I can find for steam traps is to either lift orcs up into another trap, which seems kinda crappy, or as an expensive way to attempt to clump the orcs together more. But I never actually used them after trying them out once so I could be wrong. :v:

If I recall right, and it has been a while, they are more effective at slowing down Orcs than even tar is. Doubly so if paired with tar or some other slowing mechanic. They might be good if set with a barrel too, since I think the barrel should only go off once it hits the ground again and by then more orcs should be grouped up.

Edit: Might have been only in the second game that they were half decent or at least caused physics to other items. It does seem however that the fact it doesn't effect boom barrels and acid bombs can allow you to set up a ton of kills with one shot. It does also seem to slow them down significantly, but not as much as I remember.

DeliciousCookie fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 20, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Decoy trap (this isn't a spoiler is it?) with upgrades in the second game is pretty much perfect.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Zedd posted:

The Decoy trap (this isn't a spoiler is it?) with upgrades in the second game is pretty much perfect.

There are no spoilers for traps or levels just story. While the story is pretty light I do like the way it's told and don't want people who haven't played the game to spoiled on it.

Level 10 - Sludge Hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ilsrUYJN6Q

I like this level because we get to really utilize a classic TD method of pathing. The "S" path as I call it. Basically if you've ever played a TD game with path building you probably figure out that making a curvy path is the best way to deal with enemies. We can do that in OMD as well but it's generally not necessary or cost effective since barricades cost so much and coin is better spent on damage dealing traps. Still there are the rare levels were it is a great way to deal with enemies and extending a kill box. This is one of those levels.

We were also given the Push Trap. This is an alright but situational trap. I really like it, but don't use it too often. It becomes way better if you upgrade it since it'll stun enemies including Ogres.

This level is also the last one in act 1, so expect a cutscene at the start of the next video.

Lastly, on a mostly unrelated note, my landlady has decided that she wants to rent the whole house instead of individual rooms and has ask me and my roommates to move out. So there may not be many or any videos updates until I'm resettled. Hopefully that won't be too hard, but who the gently caress knows and I wish she gave me 3 months instead of 1 month to find a new place. But I apologize for any delay this causes. (Also if anyone needs a roommate in Seattle or knows someone, hit me up!)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I played this game on release, without yer poncy alchemists' satchel - and good lord it's as overpowered as everything I'd heard.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
You also missed the chance to show off how the Floor Scorcher will tip mobs standing on them. On your S-path, have them backed against the acid bath and you'll scorch the orcs walking towards the scorcher while dumping orcs into the drink.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Neige posted:

You also missed the chance to show off how the Floor Scorcher will tip mobs standing on them. On your S-path, have them backed against the acid bath and you'll scorch the orcs walking towards the scorcher while dumping orcs into the drink.

That's really neat.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

I played this game on release, without yer poncy alchemists' satchel - and good lord it's as overpowered as everything I'd heard.

Yeah, I'd actually like to see you use less of it. It's basically just a reusable boom barrel that costs a paltry amount of mana to use, and it just trivializes the crap out of these early maps.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Gothsheep posted:

Yeah, I'd actually like to see you use less of it. It's basically just a reusable boom barrel that costs a paltry amount of mana to use, and it just trivializes the crap out of these early maps.

It won't be used in the next level and after that we get the Flame Bracers which I tend to use more. It's also completely outshined by other weapons in the second game so I'll probably won't ever be using it there.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
Yeah just beat the game. Honestly I only got through some of the levels with a pretty cheesy trap plus tar. It really is a lot shorter than I thought it would be. Can't wait for 2!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I would like to see if and how you can set up traps to deal with fliers, when that happens.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Edit: i'm a dumb dumb in the wrong thread :(

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 26, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Just got to Chapter 6, when is this game going to stop yanking me around? Should i just say screw you Airy and see what happens?
You absolutely should.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I never figured out if this game is still counting time while you are in one of those planning phases mid game. The ones where you have to press a button to continue the waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I never figured out if this game is still counting time while you are in one of those planning phases mid game. The ones where you have to press a button to continue the waves.

It does. If you turn on the on-screen timer you can see it still counting.

• Locked thread