Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The one big problem with the second game is that the music is absolutely the same. Gets kinda repetitive. Particularly if you're doing all the nightmare and endless levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
This level was the only one where I used steam traps extensively. Without yer schmancy floor scorcher or bug zapper (rassinfrassin overpowered DLC traps), I set up a delightful Rube Goldberg engine with lines of wall blades at flyer height, and steam traps to loft orcs up into them.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

D_W posted:

OK! This is probably too late for an update but I want to make it before I forget. Two videos this time since I've been so bad about updates.

Level 13 - The Arena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NXgsPJvqc
In this video we are given the Pounder. This would be the first ceiling trap if we didn't have the DLC. The Pounder is pretty great but is largely outshined by another trap we'll be getting fairly shortly. Personally I never really used it much. Still it's pretty effective and fairly cheap. It's upgrade adds a 3 second stun effect which is really great. We're also introduced to new enemy type. The Shielded Orcs. These guys are just regular orcs that carry shields. They take two headshots and can be a bit annoying, but are generally dealt with just like normal orcs.

Level 14 - The Balcony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3ses6f_64
This is one of my favorite levels of the first game. It's basically just a long straight hallway. In it we are given one of the best weapons of the game, the Ice Amulet. Predictable it freezes enemies. Which is a great way to deal with Gnolls and Ogres. Especially in this first game. There are a handful of enemies that are immune to freezing, but they're pretty uncommon. In the video I came across a way to use the Ice Amulet's alt against a new flying enemy type, the fire baby. These guys are swarming flying guys. They're killed in one shot by every weapon, but can pack quite a punch if you let them gang up on you.

Quoting this so it's not hidden on the other page.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
That is.....not at all how I handled arena. I am sad how simple that was. :P I Over do everything though. That map I channeled my WC3 tower defense for this level and turned one side into a maze of death that forced them next to every wall then looped BACK around and force them back out near where they entered. Kept wishing I had more cash because this was one of the few levels that let me play it this way. I can also say in general I didn't use guardians TOOO often in these games though far more in the first then the second(as a example I never went up top on the arena level or really realized I COULD).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It helps to realize they really are barricades, not walls; you usually use them to block paths, not create ones. That being said, I don't really like the sort of level design that relies on having to know which paths exactly you have to bar in order to be able to win. It's not as bad in this game, but gets pretty ridiculous in the second one and (especially) its DLC.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
What did the enemy say in the first vid? I couldn't hear at all, and in fact wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the fact that D_W said something.
Perhaps you could either subtitle the video, or just post the text in the thread.
(The amount of stuff being said is pretty small, so it shouldn't be too much of a bother, right?)

Zebrin fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 26, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zebrin posted:

(The amount of stuff being said is pretty small, so it shouldn't be too much of a bother, right?)
A lot of it is pretty funny however. But it gets a lot more later on and it's kinda the only way besides those short cutscenes to learn about the story and the characters. If you want to know why all those orcs are dying of course.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The Balcony: Taking Orcs out like they were nothing©

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I don't know what's up with the dialogue for those in between bits being so quiet. It might be a result of using Fraps. This game doesn't like video recording software at all. I'll be lowering the music volume for the next batch of videos. Hopefully that'll help as the banter is usually at least charming.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
You could also add subtitles, it's always helpful.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

legendsuper posted:

You could also add subtitles, it's always helpful.

Perhaps. Though the game doesn't have a subtitle option and I can't actually make out some of the dialogue either. If lowering the music doesn't work I'll poke around and see if anyone has noted it down then make my own subtitles.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I found a pastebin transcript of the game. Spoilers obviously

This is what has been said so far.

quote:

W: So, now the Order has sent me to the fortresses on the Western Line. It's a dangerous region, but I laugh at danger. And kittens. They're just so cute - and funny!

---

S: Ah, there you are, I've found you...

W: What's that? I'm starting to hear voices. And not even the good kind that are saying things like 'You're the most handsome warmage ever!' but spooky things I can't understand.

W: Twin Halls. One of the oldest of the rift fortresses. The paladins say it's haunted. I don't know about that, but I can say it could use a good dusting.

---

S: Such a pathetic thing you are, so soft, and weak...

W: Okay, I definitely didn't imagine that! It's a woman's voice.

W: I know I didn't imagine that voice. Whoever she is, I don't think she likes me. And I don't understand - how could anyone not like me?

---

S: I see inside your mind. Into all the dark corners where you hide from the world.

W: Hey lady- save the flirting. I'm trying to kill orcs here!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

There's something about these types of games that I have a love-hate relationship with. I can't stand watching them done poorly, and I'm pretty bad at them myself so I rarely play them long enough to get good enough that I enjoy it. But when they're done stylishly and nearly flawlessly I can't stop watching. Cool thread, D_W, can't wait for more videos.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

There's something about these types of games that I have a love-hate relationship with. I can't stand watching them done poorly, and I'm pretty bad at them myself so I rarely play them long enough to get good enough that I enjoy it. But when they're done stylishly and nearly flawlessly I can't stop watching. Cool thread, D_W, can't wait for more videos.

It used to be so that the blunderfuck style of playing games was big, but I like seeing the gradual shift towards Super Elite :c00lbert: style plays like in Bobbin Threadbare's LP of Thief.
Seeing things done well just keeps the rhythm up.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Level 15 - The Tower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViWDQvH8Y1w
This level is the level where the devs basically said "the players probably know how to deal with ogres now, right?" Fortunately we have our trusty spring traps to deal with them. We're also given the Brimstone floor trap which I don't really explain very well in the video. This trap deals fire damage instantly to anything that steps on and applies a DOT to them. It has a set amount of charges that decease each time it's activated and recharge as its idle. It's probably the best way to deal with fast enemies like runners. It would be a great way to protect archers but you can't actually put guardians on top of floor traps in this first game. Which isn't an issue in this stage, but will be a minor annoyance in layer levels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, this (or rather its OMD2 incarnation) is probably my favorite map in the games. Just so many ways to push/launch/trip orcs there.
As for Brimstone, I'm kinda indifferent on it. It's great for normal levels especially given the way it deals with kobolds, but it doesn't do much damage and once ogres start appearing en masse you might as well just sell them. I'd say floor scorchers do their job too.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

We get another version of this map in the DLC map pack. It's the same map, but in reverse. I actually really like the reverse version better for some reason. The basic strategy is almost exactly the same except there just stronger and more enemies plus fliers.

Brimstone is just really helpful for centralizing a killbox. Floor Scorchers are great but they can let quick enemies through and are best put where their aiming into a killbox. You can spam both of them and floor scorchers will come out on top, but brimestone is still useful. I would probably take one or the other and not both since they're both fire traps. Floor Scorches do get a big buff in the second game since you can also place them on walls, but we're not there yet.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Never did the DLC of this map because I never completed OMD2 on Nightmare, which I took as more important than completing the DLC.

Whenever you have a map that gives you a high ground, I recommend the Fire Bracers. The primary has a neat AoE if the fireball approaches from the top down. With a couple of barricades, you can herd the mob to a limited space from which you rain fiery death from above! Everyone loves the spring traps of death, but this is a map that's also pretty fun to do with the Elemental Weaver.

And for Pete's sakes, alternate between rows of brimstones and tar traps! You have burning mobs triggering your second row of brimstones when one is usually fatal to any orc!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Awwwwww, you didn't show off the log traps.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I did, just not very effectively!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked both of those new environmental elements.

Do they count as traps for the purpose of the Steel Weaver's cash bonus?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Never thought I'd find an LP about a Tower Defense game so fun to watch. Also learning new things about the game I would have never of tried.

Zain fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 8, 2014

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

That's actually a good question. I'm not sure. Environmental Hazards (like Lava, acid, death holes) don't, but I'm pretty sure pre-placed guardians do. I couldn't find an documentation about it so I'll have to experiment and get back to you.

Zain posted:

Never thought I'd find an LP about a Tower Defense game so fun to watch. Also learning new things about the game I would have never of tried.

Thanks! Yeah the strength of this series is really the variation in which levels can be completed. Other TD games tend to have specific solutions for each stage (like a Gold Medal Defense Grid run) maybe with a little variation here and there, but in OMD many levels can be done is a lot different ways depending on your goal. When it comes to high score stuff then things start to get a bit more specific. That's why I'm not really going for high scores so much.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Glazius posted:

Yes.

EDIT: Logs, yes. Manned balistas, no.

Neige fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 8, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Neige posted:

Yes.

EDIT: Logs, yes. Manned balistas, no.

I'd be surprised if the balistas didn't count as weapon kills.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

So I have some bad news that'll effect this LP. Yesterday my computer's monitor broke (it's probably the inverter chip or something. I don't know.) I don't have the money to buy a new one yet and am using my old rear end TV as a replacement for the moment. The game looks pretty awful on the TV (it's like 720p 16 inch screen compared to my 1080p 24 inch monitor.) I don't really want to record using my TV. I think the video quality would really suffer.

I still have a handful of other videos to edit and upload so there'll be a few more, but I have no idea when I'll be able to pick up a new monitor. Sorry for all the delays with this LP. Life hasn't been too friendly to me in these past couple of months.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

D_W posted:

So I have some bad news that'll effect this LP. Yesterday my computer's monitor broke (it's probably the inverter chip or something. I don't know.) I don't have the money to buy a new one yet and am using my old rear end TV as a replacement for the moment. The game looks pretty awful on the TV (it's like 720p 16 inch screen compared to my 1080p 24 inch monitor.) I don't really want to record using my TV. I think the video quality would really suffer.

I still have a handful of other videos to edit and upload so there'll be a few more, but I have no idea when I'll be able to pick up a new monitor. Sorry for all the delays with this LP. Life hasn't been too friendly to me in these past couple of months.

drat YOU LP CURSE! :argh:
But seriously, bad luck man. I hope you can fix it or get a new one soon.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Blegh! That really sucks. Hope things turn around for you soon!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

D_W posted:

The game looks pretty awful on the TV (it's like 720p 16 inch screen compared to my 1080p 24 inch monitor.) I don't really want to record using my TV. I think the video quality would really suffer.

That is not fun.

If you don't mind, would you make a video around a minute and a half with your new/old monitor. I am not asking for commentary or editing. Just saying that if we can't tell the difference it might not matter aside from looking awful on your side. I understand if you don't want to play more using the TV. I am just trying to come up with options that don't cost money.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Yes. I could do that! The TV looks pretty blurry to me, but that might be just cause I'm so close to it now. I have recorded PS3 games on from it and those always looked fine, but that was using an external capture device and not feed from the TV.

I did at least come home to some good news that I got the new job I interviewed for, so I may have the cash for a new monitor sooner than expected.

Regardless I should have an episode up later tonight (it's 9:30 here in Seattle) or tomorrow evening.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

D_W posted:

What are you using to record? Because I think most programs show the game output rather than exactly what's shown on your monitor.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

That actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. I checked the game and it doesn't default the video settings to the monitor like most games. So even though it looks all wrong (but not unplayable) the recorded videos look fine I think. Take a look yourself

In other news:
Level 16 - The Library
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1q3BXq2xEE
I recorded this before my monitor broke. I hate this level. It is by far my least favorite of any OMD level. It's hard to get a good killbox set up and easy for runners to get through. This was the last level I 5 Skulled when first playing through the game. Fortunately it does give one of the best traps in the game, the Spiked Mace. This is a ceiling trap that is basically a pendulum that kills anything it hits. We're also introduced to Fire Ogres. Which are ogres that are immune to fire.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

I loved the Spiked Mace in OMD2. Though, there are quite a few maps where the roof isn't low enough to make use of it, which is quite sad. Also, the recording looks good!

One thing I really enjoy about your LP is... well. I am terrible at the Orcs Must Die games. Like, awful. And as much as I want to play them, I just get frustrated at it. So watching LP's like this, where you 5 skull it and explain whats going on, make me excited. Keep up the awesome work!

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Nice with the subtitles!

I did not see any difference with the test video compared to normal.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So were the archers originally suppose to be elves? Because the description for Burning Pitch calls them as much. I suppose they are tall and slender like a stereotypical elf might be they really don't have any kind of indication otherwise.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Awesome. I'm glad there doesn't appear to be much of a difference.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So were the archers originally suppose to be elves? Because the description for Burning Pitch calls them as much. I suppose they are tall and slender like a stereotypical elf might be they really don't have any kind of indication otherwise.

Yeah. They're elves. The name on their card is "Elven Archers." You might not be able to notice because I tend to move the camera around pretty quick, but they actually have pointy elven ears. In the second game the guardians have more banter and you get to learn a bit more about their culture but it's nothing really fleshed out, original, or all that interesting.

Here's a better look at their model:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I've never noticed the pointy ears, even during playing the game myself! I was even looking right at them looking for the pointy ears during the video to make sure i wasen't crazy and i coulden't see them! The only thing i could really make out is the helmet and the fact that they are very thin.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
It's been a long time since I've played Orcs Must Die, but I remember The Library being much easier. I can't find any of the old video guides the way people used to do it so here's a couple of screenshots:

If you place the barricades where I put them (diagonally from the corner of the columns) the orcs will stop trying to go through that rift. If they were placed somewhere else they would destroy them and go on through. I seem to recall that you can do this setup with only two barricades due to a bug (take out the middle one?) but when testing it one archer got through on the first wave.

You set up your killbox in the doorway leading to the other rift. Ideally you will have it set up so that orcs have to take the longest possible route through the swinging mace.

T= Tar, B = Barricade

T B B
T T T
B B T

The swinging mace directly above the three tar traps (and any wall traps you have set up) would then have lots of time to deal damage. The only problem with this strategy is the first couple of waves you have to do the majority of the orc killing yourself until you get enough cash.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hol~lee poo poo! That makes prefect sense. I just tested it out and oh man... Oh man! Not only does it works great, but it gets crazy if you add in grinders, brimstone, and the lightning ring. Kobolds are still an issue because they're too short to get hit by the swinging mace, but brimstone helps there. It'll definitely be bonus video of end game strats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The subtitles are great and the test video looks ok to me. :)

• Locked thread