Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

thiswayliesmadness posted:

This is a really fun one for multiplayer I found. My friend prefers co-op to competitive games but doesn't like tower defense so took a bit of encouragement to try, but we've nearly completed the basic campaign now. Getting a wide selection of traps is an obvious bonus but little team things like healing or removing stuns pair great when the other guys tricked out as a melee tank (spear upgrades, certain trinkets). Team chat is built right in too, though I've never actually used it during multiplayer.

Good to know about teamchat, I've only ever played with somebody sitting across from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Hey. I just want to let you folks know that I've been trying to work on the DLC maps, but every time I try to record the first map (which is frankly the worst and most frustrating level in the entirety of the series) I can't get a 5 skulls. This has been the product of much much rage. So bare with me until I get something. After I get passed that level the rest of the levels have solid strategies. I hate this level so much. You have no idea.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Just do 4 and skip it.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
I would much rather see the levels than wait until you can get another skull. Maybe take the most interesting run and go with that?

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
Same. I mean we all know you're really good you don't have to prove anything to us, just post your best run and let's see it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Sometimes the best way to demonstrate something is just to point out that it's bullshit and move on. I don't think anyone would fault you for going "this level is not fun to five-skull" and going to the second one.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Just go with the four skull and call it good (and maybe update the first post to say that it's a 5 skull run except for one level, because gently caress that level).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just show us the bullshit and we'll gladly hate it along with you, 5 skulls or not.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Thanks all, but it's five skulls or bust. I realized the key thing I was forgetting and was able to five skull it. There still is some RNG to it though. The video will be up tomorrow with a bonus video or two.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As sombody that hasen't played the DLC i can't wait to see the dickery this map can pull :getin:

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Oh it's nothing exciting unfortunately. They just start you with a really low cash to deal with the early waves. The problem runs always ended by wave 3 or 4.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DLC 1 - Double Trouble
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkxczZ1Vpjo
The dreaded first level of the DLC. It's not that this level is hard at all. It just has a wonky difficulty curve and they don't give you enough resources at the start. Once we get passed wave 4 it's pretty much smooth sailing. Setting up a decent economy is pretty vital early on here. Which we can do because of the Steal Weaver and Coin Forge. I do something in this video that I don't usually do; completely sell a killbox and build somewhere else.
There is a new enemy type as well. The Cyclops Mage. These guys are big and fire homing projectiles. They usually pretty easy to deal with and are only a problem when you're fighting a large group of them. Unfortunately we won't see much of these guys as they're only in one or two other levels. The DLC enemies are widely underused.

BONUS- Chokepoint, No Archers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CUx5g5x5KI
Here's an alternative take on Chokepoint. It could really only be done at the end of the game, but you could a variation of it this solution when you would first come across this map.

I'll be doing alt takes for The Balcony, The Library, The Bridge, and Killing Fields as bonus videos uploaded the same time as each DLC video. All those maps (except the library) don't appear in OMD2's classic mode. With the Library there is a strategy mentioned early in this thread that I don't think can be replicated in OMD2 so I'll be showing it off here.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know how I missed it the first time but the minimap of Chokepoint looks like a face.
And congrats on getting past DLC #1!

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
How did they make this series and never use the song "Destroy the Orcs" by 3 Inches of Blood anywhere?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

HR12345 posted:

How did they make this series and never use the song "Destroy the Orcs" by 3 Inches of Blood anywhere?

Royalties and distribution rights are terrible, terrible things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like the Cyclops. That's a neat wrinkle in a game where up until now you've at least theoretically been able to dodge.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

They're rare but powerful enemies in the second game, which is cool.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DLC 2 - Reverse Tower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXA4q9Xx2iQ
This level is a reversed version of the Tower. It's the only level in all of OMD that is like this. It's also one of my favorite levels though the strategy I use isn't really much different than the one I used on the original. Our new enemy is the Frostbat. This guys are dicks. They're ice versions of the firebats and they can freeze you in place. You have to be very careful around them.

BONUS - The Balcony, Alternative solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOXHD6tSYV0
I wish this level was longer and had ground enemies. Ah well. So in this video I utilize the stairs and bridge more than I did in the main video.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Some video stuttering on Reverse Tower, which definitely looks like a lot of fun to sit back and watch.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
My guess with the ballistae [that is the plural] is target overload; they were pointed outwards, so they just had entirely too many orcs to shoot at and were wasting time playing skeet rather than shooting the frostbats. A ballista array pointed "backwards", aimed down at the rift entrance, might be better there for covering for hellbats.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Part of the issue with Ballistas (or ballistae) is that they have a very limited angle. They can't really shoot downwards like archers can. Usually I'd load up a bunch of Shock Zappers around where I put the ballistas. That's very effective, but not nearly as cool.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

DLC 3 - The Pit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t_ezwi7XBQ
The third level of the DLC is largely forgettable. It's the easiest of the 5 DLC maps and can be done with only 3 traps and the lightning ring. They could have made it much more interesting if they included more enemy variety and a couple extra waves or designed the level in a way that you could actually make use the titled "pit." Ah well. It's not a bad level and certainly gave me some trouble in the past, but once I realized where to build things it became a cakewalk.

Alternative - The Library (Glitched)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0x1IKYiUI4
This method was suggested in this very thread by Thorg. It works incredibly well and is a lot of fun.

3 more videos left.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Any level where you ignore most of the geometry to stand in your killbox and break things isn't going to look too exciting, I suppose.

I really liked that other reverse tower level, you had traps set up pretty much throughout the whole thing.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

I just want to let y'all know that this series isn't done. I've just had awful computer problems and life stuff getting in the way. I'll get the last three videos up sometime soon. Maybe next week.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The lp curse strikes again...

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Ehn, at least the first game was mostly done before this happened.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So true. Though I am glad to hear that things are not totally dead! I eagerly yet patiently await the next batch of videos!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

OR maybe it is still since wiping the drive the OS is on and reinstalling windows didn't get rid of the wonkiness and now there's a whole new wonkiness. SO until further notice this LP can't be finished. I'm so pissed at this computer. You have no idea.

EDIT: I'm especially pissed because the one episode I have recorded is loving amazing and I've been really wanting to show it off.

D_W fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 15, 2014

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
That is distressing news, and I hope it magically clears up or you can otherwise fix it. I've been enjoying everything you've released so far, and the promise of a loving amazing video is tantalizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

D_W posted:

OR maybe it is still since wiping the drive the OS is on and reinstalling windows didn't get rid of the wonkiness and now there's a whole new wonkiness. SO until further notice this LP can't be finished. I'm so pissed at this computer. You have no idea.

EDIT: I'm especially pissed because the one episode I have recorded is loving amazing and I've been really wanting to show it off.

WHY, LP GODS!? WHAT DID HE DO TO DESERVES THIS?!?

• Locked thread