Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
This is easily one of my favorite series out there, that said I'm surprised you can get some use out of the lit traps. I've tried many many many times in various configurations and.. Honestly they feel like a waste of a trap slot. Too costly and too slow to recharge even with upgrades.

That said, the boom barrels on the other hand are fantastic. While normally I don't care too much for disposable traps, a few barrels can take down even the meatiest of waves. And if you're good, you can chain a bunch from start to end to cause a chain reaction of boom. Excellent for having something to fall back on when enemies get through or for when you have tougher enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Its been a while since I played, but if I recall right, most of the places you need ceiling traps have a FAR better one than the shock zapper. Though I can only remember two? ceiling traps at all in the first game.

I can't recall though, is the Dispenser in this game or was that only added in 2?

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I'd suggest the Sorceress for the second game since the War Mage IIRC got only one new toy (blunderbuss) and I'd love to see the game done without tarpits - I keep relying on them to do just about anything.

He gets two. I think both characters have two unique weapons? His are (the blunderbuss and the dwarven hammer). The second character gets the (Domination Scepter and the polymorph ring)

As for OMDU, its very much a MOBA in the same vein as something like Monday Night Combat is. MOBAs typically are games where you need to assault an enemy's base with four heroes with unique movesets and have waves of trash mobs following you to help push things like Towers. Pretty much its just a MOBA without the RTS control scheme really. If I recall right, it plays quite a bit less like OMD simply because theres FAR less traps you can place down. I think each person is limited to like four or six? Something like that. Also, you can attack each other and kill the other team's heroes. However I think the only thing that can destroy the other side and win it are the minions on your side. So you have to help push them through.

Also, I recall someone mentioning they haven't played Coop in OMD2, if anyone wants I'd be happy to throw my name in the hat to play with em. Love the game.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Poil posted:

The only use I can find for steam traps is to either lift orcs up into another trap, which seems kinda crappy, or as an expensive way to attempt to clump the orcs together more. But I never actually used them after trying them out once so I could be wrong. :v:

If I recall right, and it has been a while, they are more effective at slowing down Orcs than even tar is. Doubly so if paired with tar or some other slowing mechanic. They might be good if set with a barrel too, since I think the barrel should only go off once it hits the ground again and by then more orcs should be grouped up.

Edit: Might have been only in the second game that they were half decent or at least caused physics to other items. It does seem however that the fact it doesn't effect boom barrels and acid bombs can allow you to set up a ton of kills with one shot. It does also seem to slow them down significantly, but not as much as I remember.

DeliciousCookie fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 20, 2014

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Are they planning on putting in some sort of single or PVE mode for OMDU? I kind of hate what they have up, but with you singing its praises I'll admit I'm somewhat interested.

• Locked thread