Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
These games are fantastic. They're not without flaws (some levels require you to lose them the first time around and memorize when the enemies are going to come from where) but they're probably the most satisfying TD game I ever played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason why you didn't put the archers on the upper level instead?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the spring trap. Watching orc majestically soar through the air never gets old. Too bad they're so situational and become even more so in the sequel.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest the Sorceress for the second game since the War Mage IIRC got only one new toy (blunderbuss) and I'd love to see the game done without tarpits - I keep relying on them to do just about anything.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I never had problems with Gnoll Hunters. Whoever came up with Grenadiers, on the other hand, deserves to burn. Slowly. In acid.
Kobolds look and sound harmless but they're really good at springing traps into empty air. They're also probably my number one reason of failing to fiveskull levels.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

That's not what I expected out of the weavers (I was expecting skulls for permanent upgrades) but it's an interesting wrinkle and certainly more customizable in the long run.

That's in game too. I guess having two systems doing more or less the same thing was the main reason why they removed the weavers from the second one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think the boom barrels really come into their own in the second game, where they get a considerable buff and an enemy weak to explosives. They're one of my favorite trap there. Same with pounders - while they don't get that much better, they get cheaper and become a really efficient way to dish out damage.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It helps to realize they really are barricades, not walls; you usually use them to block paths, not create ones. That being said, I don't really like the sort of level design that relies on having to know which paths exactly you have to bar in order to be able to win. It's not as bad in this game, but gets pretty ridiculous in the second one and (especially) its DLC.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ah, this (or rather its OMD2 incarnation) is probably my favorite map in the games. Just so many ways to push/launch/trip orcs there.
As for Brimstone, I'm kinda indifferent on it. It's great for normal levels especially given the way it deals with kobolds, but it doesn't do much damage and once ogres start appearing en masse you might as well just sell them. I'd say floor scorchers do their job too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the name of the level refers to the hobgoblin shamans reviving orcs. Still, I'm glad to see you found a use for paladins, never bothered with them myself.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just chiming in to say that the OMD games are on sale on Steam over this weekend. If you're at all interested, I'd suggest grabbing them - they're dirt cheap and incredibly cathartic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well crap, I was hoping for a strategy to use in OMD2 Classic for this. It's the last level I haven't fiveskulled.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

And even he got warned this was an action of absolute desperation. Since the other warmages were, you know, all dead.
Funny you should say that. Anyway, great job with OMD and I'm totally not just saying it because you provided me with a way to finally fiveskull Finale.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is actually going a long way to making me interested in OMDU. I'm still not a big fan of the AoS MOBA idea but hey, if it has traps and surprisingly elaborate jokes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
OMD2's DLC stuff is less broken. The weapons are gimmicky and specialized and the traps at least require some thought to use.
Or I'm doing it wrong.

edit: VVV Spikewall you say? Never bothered with that thing since it takes so much space. Curious.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 3, 2014

• Locked thread