Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
Hudak's "Minus A Hundred Thousand Jobs Plan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

There are roughly 500k people working in education in Ontario. Only 92k work in the government bureaucracy.

If fully half the job cuts are teachers, man. Open the bloodgates.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

tagesschau posted:

Hudak's "Minus A Hundred Thousand Jobs Plan."

Hudak's "Nine Hundred Thousand Net Jobs Plan"

What does he expect unemployed teachers to do? It's not like a BEd is a particularly versatile degree.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whiskey Sours posted:

Hudak's "Nine Hundred Thousand Net Jobs Plan"

What does he expect unemployed teachers to do? It's not like a BEd is a particularly versatile degree.

You just answered this question yourself. They can do one of the 900,000 other jobs that are going to open up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well.

All ministries except health would see cuts. 10% fewer teachers, which he says can be done by increasing class sizes.

:rip: 2014 PC campaign, May 7 2014-May 9 2014.

:lol: Oh little Timmy Hudak, one day you will learn not to say retarded poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2014

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

eXXon posted:

You just answered this question yourself. They (teachers) can do one of the 900,000 other jobs that are going to open up.

Let's hope so. There is such a glut of teachers as it is that releasing more onto the unemployment line just makes no sense.

Fact: the government had to step in and alter teachers college to be a two year program to try and slow down the number of new teachers coming into the market. Because there is nothing for them. I have friends who have been on supply lists for years hoping to get a full-time teaching position.

I cannot understand how Hudak is still the leader of the party - the man can do no right. At this point people's perception is that it is a matter of when he sinks the PCs chances, not if.

Not that I'm rooting for the PCs - at this point it's just trying to pick the lesser of three evils. God help us if the Liberals can win that distinction (I'm looking at you, Horwath - start pitching some solid policies instead of flinging garbage about the Libs wanting to privatize the TTC).

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I never thought someone would run on the "Elect Me: I'll put you out of a job!" platform.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

Would save 2 billion, and remove 100k middle class jobs from the economy, who will all go on to be successful [REDACTED].

The math doesn't add up, 2b/100k is only 20k per job. He's either going to fire 100,000 minimum wage earners, he's overstated the number of jobs, underestimated the amount saved or factored in the loss in tax revenue.

He could have just said he was going to actually implement suggestions out of the Liberal commissioned Drummond report. Hudak is the worst. Or maybe he's just playing the long con with Harper.

quote:

There is growing speculation that the Harper Conservatives would not be unhappy to see Mr. Hudak to flame out; that it will be easier to campaign federally in 2015 if the Liberals are still in power at Queen’s Park.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AegisP posted:

I never thought someone would run on the "Elect Me: I'll put you out of a job!" platform.

No no, his platform is "Elect Me: I'll put someone else out of a job!". Unless you're a government employee, but then you weren't going to vote for Hudak anyway, were you?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So it's a good thing I didn't :toxx: myself about Hudak saying something about Wynne's sexuality would cause his downfall because there is no way in hell I would have guessed someone would stand up and say "elect me and I fire 100,000" people.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

eXXon posted:

No no, his platform is "Elect Me: I'll put someone else out of a job!". Unless you're a government employee, but then you weren't going to vote for Hudak anyway, were you?

I thought that initially too but there are a lot of non-government workers with kids in school.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I love the "pfft, we can afford to get rid of teachers, we'll just increase class sizes!" bit. Like, yeah, dude, that's the ticket. Do exactly the opposite of good practice, let's just jam a hundred kids into each classroom because there's not enough teachers to run two concurrent English classes anymore.

Does he think there's only five kids per class right now? Is that it? He looked at the total number of registered teachers in Ontario and not the "full-time permanent" number and got confused?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
According to StatsCan, Ontario has 92K full time Civil Servants, the rest work for school boards, universities and hospitals.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/govt62d-eng.htm

Andrew Coyne back tracked so fast on Twitter he gained 5 years of life after he said it was a good plan.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Of course, local governments and local school boards are under provincial control, so it's really more like 1.1 million under provincial control.

But the 236k who work in health are off limits, as are the 25k police officers.

And the 274k who work in local government boards are probably off limits too.

So you're looking at cuts of 100k out of the remaining ~600k employees.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2014

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Of course, local governments and local school boards are under provincial control, so it's really more like 1.1 million under provincial control.

Yes, anything not federal is automatically under provincial jurisdiction but does anyone really think he's going after trustees and city staff?

Edit: I see your edit and I'll call.

The ultimate point of all this, as I see several people on Twitter going back and forth with different figures, is that Hudak has not made it clear what he's going to axe. Tossing out a round number and making vague statements about privatization does not cut it. He has to be more clear when it's 100k jobs on the line.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 9, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Wow. I knew it had to happen sometime, but the fact that he managed such a wild Hudakism like three days into the campaign is actually pretty impressive.

I've been saying it forever, but Hudak is electoral poison and I hope the OPC keeps him as leader forever.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Can we start the cuts with the Mayor of Toronto?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

But the 236k who work in health are off limits, as are the 25k police officers.

And the 274k who work in local government boards are probably off limits too.

So you're looking at cuts of 100k out of the remaining ~600k employees.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of this plan is a sizable cut in funding for municipalities that's designed to make them lay people off, making the 274k in local government not necessarily off limits, depending how he's calculating this dreamland number that he just made up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vyelkin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if part of this plan is a sizable cut in funding for municipalities that's designed to make them lay people off, making the 274k in local government not necessarily off limits, depending how he's calculating this dreamland number that he just made up.

Possibly, but that's much harder to spin. The point of this job cut plan should be to say "Hey look at how bloated this government has become under the Liberals" not to pull the rug out from under municipalities.

Edit:

Then again...

quote:

Adam Radwanski ‏@aradwanski

As I understand it, Hudak's plan involves cutting municipal funding, and telling municipalities to make up for it by cutting jobs.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 9, 2014

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Counterpoint to all this Andrew Coyne nonsense:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I love the "pfft, we can afford to get rid of teachers, we'll just increase class sizes!" bit. Like, yeah, dude, that's the ticket. Do exactly the opposite of good practice, let's just jam a hundred kids into each classroom because there's not enough teachers to run two concurrent English classes anymore.

Does he think there's only five kids per class right now? Is that it? He looked at the total number of registered teachers in Ontario and not the "full-time permanent" number and got confused?

Pfft why do we even need class "rooms"? Just shove all the kids into the gym with 1 teacher. Think of the savings! :homebrew:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lobok posted:

10%

My, such beautiful round numbers that were surely the product of hard work to determine what specifically should be cut and not just figures pulled out of thin air to sound good.

:psyduck: How do you create jobs by firing people?

FowlTheOwl
Nov 5, 2008

O thou precious owl,
The wise Minervas only fowl

Rutibex posted:

He is going to take the money he saved and give a big sloppy one to corporate job creators. They might pay him back by making some jobs, maybe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rutibex posted:

With 100,000 less teachers and civil servants, we will no longer be able to enforce regulations on business, so they can create lots of sweat shop jobs for our newly uneducated workforce to fill, since the option is starving to death because we can also no longer administer social programs.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
When I read the title of the new article on the CBC I thought "Wow the CBC are getting really partisan with their headlines." But no, he actually said he'd cut 100 000 public sector jobs.

I don't get it. Hudak went full Republican (never go full Republican) and had to backtrack before the election on Right-To-Work, but now has gone back to wanting to decimate the public sector.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Dreylad posted:

When I read the title of the new article on the CBC I thought "Wow the CBC are getting really partisan with their headlines." But no, he actually said he'd cut 100 000 public sector jobs.

I don't get it. Hudak went full Republican (never go full Republican) and had to backtrack before the election on Right-To-Work, but now has gone back to wanting to decimate the public sector.

A leopard can't change its spots.

Hudak is a true believer. He legitimately thinks that cutting one fifth of the Ontario public sector would be a good thing for the province. That's why he's electoral poison, because he hasn't learned the lesson to shut up and only say speeches other people have written for him, and when he speaks his mind 75% of the province is repulsed by his actual honest-to-God opinions.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

vyelkin posted:

he hasn't learned the lesson to shut up and only say speeches other people have written for him

I think that's what happened at the recording studio, though: he stuck steadfastly to his rehearsed comments, and looked like a fool for doing that.

edit: That news conference was an awful example of what happens when your staff apparently decides not to brief you at all beforehand.

tagesschau fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 9, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

I think that's what happened at the recording studio, though: he stuck steadfastly to his rehearsed comments, and looked like a fool for doing that.

edit: That news conference was an awful example of what happens when your staff apparently decides not to brief you at all beforehand.

He just needs the right kind of message control.

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2267142576/

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
There are plenty of people in Ontario who will gleefully cheer Hudak on in this plan, and who honestly DO believe getting rid of teachers and government workers will be a boon to the economy. It's like the time Reagan fired those air traffic controllers! Except these people aren't getting their jobs back at reduced pay, they're not getting their jobs back at all! EVEN BETTER!

However, the number of people who would be keen on this plan is not great enough to give Mr. Hudak the majority (or even minority) he so craves.

How long before other PCs start to sharpen their knives for him (again) do you think? Before or after the election? Maybe some new poll numbers need to come out.

If he blows this one, I can't see him getting another chance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Pfft why do we even need class "rooms"? Just shove all the kids into the gym with 1 teacher. Think of the savings! :homebrew:

It worked on Little House on the Prairie! Remember the good old days when schoolhouses had ALL the kids in them?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Leofish posted:

There are plenty of people in Ontario who will gleefully cheer Hudak on in this plan, and who honestly DO believe getting rid of teachers and government workers will be a boon to the economy. It's like the time Reagan fired those air traffic controllers! Except these people aren't getting their jobs back at reduced pay, they're not getting their jobs back at all! EVEN BETTER!

However, the number of people who would be keen on this plan is not great enough to give Mr. Hudak the majority (or even minority) he so craves.

I'd like to believe that any voter with kids will realize the degree to which this would gut Ontario's already shaky education system. Air traffic controllers are a vague, rare job, and you never run into them in the course of them doing said job. Teachers work with your kids every day, and some that you know personally will very likely lose their jobs if Hudak follows through.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DStecks posted:

I'd like to believe that any voter with kids will realize the degree to which this would gut Ontario's already shaky education system. Air traffic controllers are a vague, rare job, and you never run into them in the course of them doing said job. Teachers work with your kids every day, and some that you know personally will very likely lose their jobs if Hudak follows through.

I can't imagine the Big Red Machine won't hammer that home with a million ads a day from now until the election, either, even if each individual voter doesn't make the connection themselves.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"I take no joy in this, but it has to be done if we want job creators to put more people on the payroll in our province,"

Because as we all know, "job creators" are doing such an amazing job of hiring people as it is.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BattleMaster posted:

"I take no joy in this, but it has to be done if we want job creators to put more people on the payroll in our province,"

Because as we all know, "job creators" are doing such an amazing job of hiring people as it is.

Seems like "If Job creators don't hire more people I will tax them into non-existence and use the money to hire public employees. Vote for me if you have a teaching degree and no job!" would be more effective. Kill three birds with one stone.

coolatronic
Nov 28, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

But the 236k who work in health are off limits
Not all health workers are nurses and doctors. And not all of those 236,448 are health workers; the category includes social services as well.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I got a card in the mail saying the Liberals are going to save me :siren: $70 a year :siren: by eliminating the debt retirement charge on my hydro bill!

MAKE IT RAIN, KATHLEEN WYNNE!

They're actually campaigning on this.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I can't believe Hudak is going to lose to these people.

quote:

According to the government, a typical family consuming about 800 kilowatt hours per month would save about $75.60 a year after taxes once the debt retirement charge is removed on Jan. 1, 2016.

But those savings would be cancelled out by the loss of an $180 annual rebate from the clean energy benefit, which was introduced in 2012. However, the Liberals are promising a support program for famillies with an income of up to $40,000 that would provide about the same savings as the clean energy benefit after it expires.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ikantski posted:

I can't believe Hudak is going to lose to these people.

:ssh: Lying about your terrible policies is generally a better strategy than telling the truth about your terrible policies.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

I got a card in the mail saying the Liberals are going to save me :siren: $70 a year :siren: by eliminating the debt retirement charge on my hydro bill!

MAKE IT RAIN, KATHLEEN WYNNE!

They're actually campaigning on this.

Must be a plot to tackle Horwath's pledge to give rebates over energy bills. It's not exactly a big part of the Liberal campaign, but since Horwath hasn't released much concrete policy data it's essentially an early attempt to cut her off at the pass on whatever the specifics of her energy rebate plan are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Ipsos had a poll that shows the Tories at 37%, the Liberals at 31% and the NDP at 28%. 28% say Wynne deserves re-election, 72% are saying that its "time for another party to take over" and 36% say that Ontario is "currently on the right track" while 64% say Ontario is "headed in the wrong direction".

These numbers came out before Hudak's pledge to cut 100,000 jobs so its hard to know where they'll be in a couple weeks, and of course most the electorate won't really start paying attention to the election until late may or early June.

Still, with this many people indicating that the province is on the wrong track and that it's "time for change" I think that if the Tories stumble (or rather if their current mistakes start killing them at the polls) then maybe we're about to see the second NDP government in Ontario's history.

I do not understand what Hudak is doing right now. His supporters are already the most dedicated, did he really need to toss them more red meat? PC supporters are the most likely to vote and the least likely to switch parties. You'd think he would want to target those swing voters in the GTA who helped both Harper and Ford win.

Maybe he's thinking that he can win Ford Nation's votes, and thus the GTA, by basically repeating the 'gravy train' rhetoric from the Mayoral election? The thing is, Ford was always really none-specific about what he'd cut and he always claimed that there'd be no reductions in services. Hudak by contrast is making the same promises as Ford but actually being pretty blunt about the fall out (larger class sizes! gently caress teachers!).

I thought that him reversing his stance on unions was the beginning of him taking toward the centre but apparently not.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 10, 2014

• Locked thread