Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm curious which way the teacher's unions are going to break, they went pretty hardcore NDP the last election thanks to the Liberal's forcing a contract on them.

I basically just vote at the local level, my MPP (Cheri DiNovo) generally hasn't made a mess of anything. Although I'm sick of the "clean trains now" bullshit, I read the district newsletter and I still have no idea what else she's done around here, they've been pushing it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Brought to you by ATU Local 113. Ha!

Interestingly, the ATU Canadian Council hasn't come out for or against anyone yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ontario Election Thread: What is the NDP platform anyways?

Seriously, they triggered an election without any indication of what they'd do differently, or at all.

They've gotten everything they wanted from the Liberals, every time they've asked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Plus ça change...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

... the Liberals are locked into defending the most expensive budget we've seen in decades while our debt to gdp ratio is higher than it's ever been. Maybe she is a political mastermind?

I'm curious how you think an NDP budget would differ materially from the one the Liberals put forward. Unless, of course you're dismissing them both and counting on an OPC win.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

As a PC, I would gladly take Horwath over Wynne at this point. An NDP budget would probably similar, less infrastructure and corporate subsidies but at least it would be based on their party's values instead of pandering for votes. The NDP fear of nuclear power usually scares me but I'm not sure what her platform is on that.

I'm curious why you think the Liberals would actually deliver on their promises to NDP this year when they didn't deliver on a single one last year?

The nuclear power thing has always been an issue for me with the NDP, I have no idea why that's even part of their platform.

Regarding the infrastructure subsidies, I would hope for more rather than less from the NDP, especially given their renewed focus on urban areas. Interest rates are low and infrastructure of all stripes is in dire need of maintenance, repair, and upgrades. I don't think letting the wheels fall off our civic infrastructure is really a good money saving policy.

I have no reason to believe the OLP would deliver on anything in the budget in particular, but presumably they'd make a good show of it. On the other hand the NDP is going to be in a much worse position in the event of a OPC minority government.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

That's a lot of spin to put on Hudak not wanting to talk about Rob Ford on budget day.

The best thing the OPC can do is keep Hudak from saying anything that isn't about the economy. It doesn't really drive page views though, so the papers have to spin it somehow.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I have no idea what the NDP think they're doing here, I really hope they have some evidence of this if they're going to start repeating it everywhere.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-votes-2014/horwath-says-liberals-intend-to-privatize-ttc-1.2632096

quote:

Galloway: “I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything from Kathleen Wynne about privatizing the TTC, though.”

Horwath: “You do need to look at what their plan is.”

Galloway: “We have.”

Interestingly, it's the same thing behind that ATU Local 113 video on the first page of this thread, so someone definitely believes it's happening.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I think if they're serious about this, Horwath has to give better answers than 'privatize the TTC' when she's really talking about public private partnerships. But I guess they can't explain a P3 in a soundbite?

Meanwhile Hudak is acting like this election is a gimme and not even trying to grow his base.

I'm starting to think Liberal majority.

e: A lot of time to campaign left, however.

Oh boy. A P3 to build and operate LRT lines is not even remotely privatizing the TTC, I really hope that's not what they're referring to.

That P3 arrangement has been the plan since 2010 at least, and probably as far back as whenever Transit City was approved for funding.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

eXXon posted:

The news that Metrolinx would seek a private operator for the LRT came out in 2012, and it certainly is partial privatization of new Toronto transit. It's certainly not privatizing existing services, which it sounds like Horwath was implying quite deliberately.

I thought I remembered it being the proposed method much earlier than that, but this is the first mention of it I can find: http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2011/11/30/ttc_may_not_run_the_eglinton_crosstown_lrt.html (Nov, 2011)

In any case it's hardly news, and they didn't seem to make this big a deal out of it when it was announced.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Interestingly, the ads are from ATU Local 113, the TTC workers union. So far the ATU Canadian Council hasn't said anything. They represent, among others, the GO/Metrolinx workers union.

I'm curious to see if they'll just avoid the whole thing, especially since Local 113 isn't represented by the ATU Canadian Council. Because P3 or no, the operators are still going to be ATU members.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

Why did that bug you?

Possibly because it's a bullshit term meant to elevate business owners above others to justify giving them tax breaks and subsidies at the expense of the rest of the population.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm really disappointed that the PCs are literally the only option if I want to see nuclear power developed in Ontario. Everyone else is promising to halt or revert nuke development and investment.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Twiin posted:

Everyone uses NationBuilder. They're the standard if you're looking to do good work with data and don't actually plan to employ any data scientists. It's like saying we're exporting jobs because you use Salesforce or Oracle instead of rolling your own made-in-canada solution.

Yeah, this isn't exactly new either, they've been around for a while. But Nation Builder is the platform, they don't really build the site content itself. That's still handled by whoever has been contracted to handle the web campaign.

If it's full of typos or poor grammar, they're using someone internally (and they shouldn't be) or they went cheap on the contract.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

I'm an upper year nuclear engineering student and I'd be guaranteed a job for life if Hudak makes good on his nuclear promises. There are very low graduation numbers on nuclear engineers as it is so pretty much anyone who makes it to graduation would be needed somewhere.

But he's so goddamn terrible everywhere else that I refuse to throw everyone else under the bus just for my own sake. Plus I'd make that list of "bureaucrats" making over 100k within a couple years of graduation that he hates so much :v:

It's ridiculous that this is a decision you have to make, but I suppose that's Ontario politics.

I really have a hard time understanding OLP and ONDP's positions on nuclear power. Conservation for the sake of conservation is absurd. Instead of developing technologies and potentially a resource base (electricity) that we could sell outside the province, we're looking at shutting down what we have and telling skilled people like BattleMaster that they're not wanted or needed here, move on. It's like we're trying very hard to make sure that we will never have the cheap power that's attractive to say, the manufacturing industry.

On a more local note, I think my MPP (Cheri DiNovo) has been doing a fine job, and I have no problem with her work/policies. On the other hand, I'm really not liking the idea of voting NDP simply because of the completely ridiculous "Job Creators, tax cuts, efficiencies" bullshit they've adopted for the campaign. On the plus side, it really doesn't matter as my riding usually goes solidly NDP.

Also, I have no idea who the Liberal candidate is, I've seen her website telling me how involved she is in the community, but I've never heard of her before.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 17, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Heavy neutrino posted:

gently caress politics. What is it about it that turns otherwise sensible people into goddamn clowns?

edit Kafka esq. please make this the OP picture for the OLP.

Her outfit certainly is on message. And that message is "I AM THE GODDAMN OLP! :canada:".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

As a literal small business owner and job creator, who's campaign office should I visit for my sloppy blowjob?

This will affect my vote.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lobok posted:

Well, Wynne seems to enjoy Quicke's with female farmers so you might want to look elsewhere.

Come now, let's be civilized. No tractor jokes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sotary posted:

Yo, not to look like an NDP hack, but it seems like Horwath is saying she'd put in an extra $200 million

Where is this $200 million coming from? They're not raising personal income tax and they're promising not to raise taxes on small businesses and "job creators".

What are we cancelling to put $200 million into paying nurse practitioners? Transit expansion? Cuts to education? Cuts to other healthcare departments?

Or just good old fashioned "efficiencies" (i.e. the money doesn't exist)?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sotary posted:

I do find it funny these days how only the NDP federally and provincially so often get quizzed about funding, and financial issues in general.

The NDP is the federal opposition, and provincially they rejected the budget and triggered an election. If they're going to promise the moon, it would be nice if they had a way to pay for it.

Both federal and provincial NDP are refusing to consider revenue increases (taxes) though, so it raises some questions.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Personally, I'm mad at the NDP for rejecting the budget because on top of leaving us with the possibility of a PC minority that's promised to disembowel the province, we get to watch the NDP play political twister trying to be the orange PC-lite. They were the one party we didn't have to hear gas on about "job creators", efficiencies, or the incredible importance of the middle class.

Now they have the gall to play will-they-or-won't-they with their platform, instead of having it ready to go when they decided to trigger an election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is really it for me. Yea the libs might have backed out on their promises, but that would be infinitely better than a PC government.

Yeah, Hudak isn't even pretending he'll do otherwise. If they end up in power they've got a mandate to gut and sell everything that isn't nailed down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's learning.

It's the Rob Ford principle, there's no shortage of people who will vote for a "down to earth" good ol' boy, especially when he's promising to save them money. No matter how little his plan has in common with reality, it just makes "gut" sense, and that's good enough.

A folksy, plain talkin' man will way out populist Horwath any day.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

So Hudak is taking a play out of Grover Norquist's book now, loving :laffo:

(In fairness it does say "without seeking explicit approval of the voters of Ontario" -- as if anyone will ever vote to raise taxes on themselves).

I want to see someone get the explicit approval of the voters of Ontario to disrespect taxpayer dollars. Maybe a Rhino party candidate can run on a Fritter and Waste platform.

Also, this will be pure gold when the deficit spikes due to the massive increase in unemployment under an OPC government and they're left with the option to raise taxes or go bankrupt.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Michael Hollett reminds us that we're a bunch of downtown elitists, with not enough real problems. That's why we don't appreciate Horwath's populist message.

The article posted:

Horwath is reaching outside the NDP’s traditional base, and listening, too. When small business owners, mom-and-pop shops, told Horwath they couldn’t afford a jump in the minimum wage in one go, she listened, proposing a compromise, but is attacked for not being progressive enough.

Those, small business owners, they're the real Ontario!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

geese posted:

30 seats is the absolute maximum. We would have to keep almost all our incumbents and win almost every one of our targets for that to happen. I can think of about a dozen potential gains off the top of my head, but that would require a monumental swing over the next week.

No way the Tories are going to win a majority unless there's some serious vote splitting and they come up in the middle in SW Ontario.

Here's the thing, even if the Tories only get a minority, it's still entirely your (ONDP's) fault. And for what? What changes is the ONDP going to make with their, at best, minority government that they couldn't make by bending a Liberal minority to their will?

What changes are they going to make when they're once again the party with the least seats, but this time the OPCs are gutting everything in sight?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

geese posted:

I think if Andrea supported that budget, we would all be hosed next year. Strong stable PC majority.

Well then thank goodness we now have the opportunity to all be hosed this year.

VVV - Yeah, that's pretty much the only way I can see to read that statement.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

All of the ones in the 416? Rejecting the budget is not really good for your typical NDP supporter in Toronto, especially when calling an election gives the NDP no chance of being able to present its own budget, and risks a Hudak majority to boot, no matter how much you try to spin it as "making sense."

No, you see, they don't care about Toronto elitists anymore, they're the populist party of the people. As long as Horwath's message is playing well in London they don't give a poo poo if their core seats go Liberal.

To be fair, my MPP (Cheri DiNovo) has been pretty good, and the Liberal candidate is a complete nonentity*. I don't see Parkdale-High Park going red this time.

*Seriously, I have no idea who she is, and her bio has roughly zero accomplishments on it beyond participating in an unsuccessful campaign for someone's federal Liberal leadership bid. Also, it boasts that her successful politics blog has had 1.1 million hits! (in the last nine years)

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 6, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

geese posted:

I just don't trust the Liberals to implement any of the good stuff in a meaningful way before the scheduled election in 2015, and by then it would be too late. I'm convinced 100% that Tim Hudak would win a majority next year. Kathleen Wynne would not be able to point to a single significant accomplishment in 2015, even if we supported the budget. Wynne put Andrea in a really tough spot and Andrea is taking a gamble.

My very early prediction since we're a week out is 44/39/23 Liberal/PC/NDP. Currently it's 48/37/21. Some shuffling around here and there but mostly the status quo.

So by your own admission the only thing that's different is that the OPC now has a chance to win a majority this year. The Liberals are running on the same budget Horwath flipped the table over last month, if it's status quo after the election is she going to support it? Or will the Liberals need to start making concessions to the PCs to keep things afloat?

Face it, there is absolutely nothing that will improve for progressives based on the outcome of this election. The best case scenario is status quo, the worst case is a trip back in time to the Harris years.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Thus, consumer demand "creates jobs", not the protean whims of the rich that must be appeased like volcano gods.

I don't know about that. As a small business owner, I think a virgin sacrifice might convince me to create a new minimum wage position, or at least an unpaid internship.

Surely it's worth a shot.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He also doesn't seem to know the difference between electoral fraud and keeping a campaign promise, that hasn't stopped the gas plants! gas plants! GAS PLANTS!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

This is an argument that your party is merely incompetent but it lets me know that your definition of "lovely spending" includes hiring your chief of staff's boyfriend to delete all emails surrounding the lovely spending and then have your premier prorogue parliament and resign hours before committee hearings into his lovely spending were going to start.

It's definitely disturbing that the OPP report on the investigation into this massively unethical and seemingly illegal behavior is delayed until after the election.

It's also not the same as alleged voter fraud. This isn't moral calculus, we don't have to equivocate the wrongdoings of the various parties to make some nebulous point about who is committing worse crimes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm curious what exactly we're supposed to do for things like power infrastructure. People don't want gas plants, so much so that all three parties promised to kill them, and people don't want to pay the costs for green "renewable" power. Nuclear is out on both cost and "OMG atoms!". So what do we build?

Stuff some coal plants in Sarnia and hope no one notices? Just turn out the lights and call it quits?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ikantski posted:

CBC missed a golden opportunity to label the blue people "job creators" on the NDP and PC bits.

First of all, we aren't in a big hurry to expand our infrastructure. Our electricity usage has remained constant around 140 TW per year since 2009 and has been decreasing since before 2005. We generate way more than we need currently. Every hour in 2014, we've exported an average of 1933 MW or the equivalent of the 26 turbines at Niagara Falls. A lot of the time, water simply gets diverted around the turbines.

We could buy clean hydro from Quebec when we need it, run our dams at full capacity, stop sole sourcing lucrative FIT contracts to Liberal insiders and cancel all unfinalized FIT contracts for electricity we don't need.

Edit: That's my horrible PC opinion. The Liberal opinion is that by increasing electricity prices, they've encouraged us to conserve and therefore it's been a success. We celebrate with the "Wear a sweater" day in February. Not a joke. The NDP stance is that the green energy is awesome but it's too expensive so they're going to give us a 7% cut while still raising the overall rate another 42%.

Edit2: The irony was that Feb 5 was a particularly windy day. We exported 29384 MW of power on wear a sweater day which would cost us $2.9m at $0.10 a kWh, sold it for around $500k.

Any idea how much Darlington and Pickering factor into our current surplus of power? Because their development/refurbishment has basically been stopped and they will reach end of life in 2020 and 2018, respectively.

I realize their output numbers are readily available, but you seem to have the stats at hand so I'm hoping I can get away with lazy curiosity here.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 11, 2014

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

In other news, Thornhill went blue, not red.

So the OLP only have 58 seats.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I'm sure if our looming real estate bubble pops in the next four years the blame will be placed squarely on the Liberals.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Considering the election is over I don't think there really is a topic any more.

We could always make it the OnPoli thread, that way those precious western flowers in the Canadian Politics thread won't have to get all bent out of shape when we make more than three Ontario posts in a row...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

They didn't form government, but it's hard to say that the ONDP strategy didn't work at some level. They've expanded out into areas where they haven't had strength before, and lost in areas where they'll be able to mount challenges again in four years. They've expanded the playing field for themselves and made it easier to win the next election. They lost the balance of power, but it's not their fault the PCs shat their pants. If the ONDP wanted to become a rural/small city populist party, mission accomplished.

That still seems like a pretty weak rationalization, losing any say in the provincial legislature for a single digit increase in overall votes is a Pyrrhic victory at best.

The whole election has been a bunch of post-hoc rationalization by the ONDP. From the reason they didn't support the budget to why this Liberal majority outcome is A Good Thing™

I've also seen some pretty ugly "the voters are idiots" articles from NDP partisans blaming Toronto for not really being progressive after all, on account of voting out three sitting NDP MPPs. Ignoring of course the loud and repeated complaints about the NDP's rightward shift in language and platform.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I think we're supposed to believe that despite their populist platform and overuse of neoliberal language they haven't actually shifted rightward at all.

They're still the party of the people, assuming the people aren't poor urban dwellers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

These grapes certainly are sour!*

*Trigger warning: NOW magazine

PS: Read the comments

• Locked thread