Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you be voting for?
A Liberal
A Progressive Conservative
A New Democrat
A Comedy Option
View Results

• Locked thread
harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
Donationchat: I gave $400 to my local NDP candidate because there was no Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) candidates in my riding. The CPC(ML) didn't run provincially and essentially endorsed the NDP anyway. I'm thinking of giving around $750 to the Marxist-Leninists in the 2015 federal election if I have enough money. Just trying to do my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

Take that $750 and buy a gun for a homeless person. It will have about as much revolutionary impact.
The donation would only cost me $275 after generous tax breaks. Also I don't know if I care about "revolutionary impact" as if I'm some Peter Singer of the Left. I just want to buy some signs for someone who wants to substitute parliamentary democracy with something more like Cuba or North Korea.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Rutibex posted:

The homeless person could use the money a lot more than the political sign manufacturing corporation.
Hmm... Gonna need to see your excel sheet of optimal utility before I decide how to use my money.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I only mentioned those two countries because those are the ones that the CPC(ML) supports. Most revolutionary countries in the 20th Century had similar political systems. China, for example, still has a people's democracy.

Edit: Let's not derail things away from Ontario though I guess.

harper is bisexual fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 27, 2014

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
Anyway I was sad that Jonah Schein lost in Davenport. He was a good guy. If the NDP had a better platform or even just anything for them to run on in Toronto it would have been easy for him to win again.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I guess Christine Elliott is the favourite for the Tory leadership? I haven't looked. Last time she ran on a flat tax which is dumb. Even Mike Harris was constantly bombarded by questions about whether he'd implement a flat tax and he was like no that's stupid. He wouldn't even really touch the top rate much. Harper is the same way basically, the top rate is the same as it was under the Liberals. Obviously they do dump huge piles of money into the pockets of business but Harper has been careful to promote the idea that GST and income tax cuts are targeting 'working families' or whatever.

Stockwell Day ran on a flat tax in 2000 but it appeared to be so unpopular that during the campaign he revised his plan so that there would be a "temporary" top tax rate of 25% (instead of a flat 17%) so that the rich would still pay tax. Of course that was a bad idea because it negated the entire simpleton logic of "flat tax".

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

Dreylad posted:

The narrative I've heard is that the OCP rejected Eliott because they thought they needed to cut harder to the right with Tim Hudak to appeal to the Ontario electorate. That didn't work, and Eliott is considered a Red Tory, so she's the heir apparent. Regardless of wanting flat taxes or whatever, she hasn't talked about turning all pensions into DC plans, firing thousands of public servants, and lifting tuition caps so it's more progressive than Hudak.
Cool. An older nurse told me she thought Elliott was smart and well-informed and I trust nurses implicitly. Also Tim Hudak is really dumb so I'm glad he didn't become Premier. Of course, the Liberals will probably privatize a bunch of stuff (like they promised to) and continue to create the conditions for a two-tier health system.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

infernal machines posted:

What specifically are the Liberals promising to privatize now? Last I remember it was just the operation of the Eglinton LRT in Toronto.
http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/04/11/ontario_ropes_in_td_bank_chief_to_optimize_lcbo_hydro_one_and_ontario_power.html
http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/04/11/hydro_asset_sales_could_generate_10_billion.html

Basically they are going to try to cash in a bit on some of the assets. It'll just end up some Public-Private Partnership mess instead of outright privatization. For health care they have been slowly pushing the system towards an "internal market" which is probably pointing towards more PPP stuff there too.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I don't know what's going to happen with the NDP. The union leaders are mad as hell at Horwath. There is an automatic leadership review at the next ONDP convention. She certainly sounds like she's going to fight. Normally I would say she might do something like quit but commit to running in the subsequent leadership race after a bad result in the leadership review but everyone thinks Joe Clark was stupid to do that so yeah.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

infernal machines posted:

Also, wtf? "Optimize" LCBO? It's massively profitable.
The only thing I could see happening to the LCBO is if they fragment it so that there are more private outlets semi-attached to the LCBO, like in grocery stores and such. When Mike Harris floated the idea of selling off the LCBO he was slammed by a bunch of ads about moms worrying about their childrens lives being ruined by Satan's liquor or whatever so he had to back off. Very recently Tim Hudak did the same thing about ending the LCBO monopoly and he totally reversed his position after the public response.

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014

vyelkin posted:

they can only raise taxes so much
What you mean is that raising taxes is unpopular so they won't do it. There are lots of ways they could recover some of the revenue that has been lost to tax cuts.

Examples:
- The corporate rate in Ontario is 11.5%. It used to be 15.5%.
- The HST is 13%. In Quebec and Nova Scotia they increased their rate to ~15% after Harper's GST cut.
- The basic rate of personal income tax is ~5%. It used to be ~9.5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harper is bisexual
Jan 10, 2014
I think it's because the people who would benefit from beer in corner stores don't care about it all that much, while parents and religious activists are willing to dump a lot of money into fighting what they perceive as vices. Dalton McGuinty cashed in on Catholics when the Conservatives were in power by traveling around the province promising to curtail gambling, for example.

• Locked thread