Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sugar (colin farrell series), theres just floor inside his door. he comes home and walks in and its his living room floor. some kind of laminate, from the sound, so its probably cheap to replace for a guy like him. but still, no mat or anything? insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, the Fiance often isn't even a bad guy, he's just who the audience roots against by virtue of not being the main character. Liar Liar also does this with the rival being the sweetest guy in the universe, it's just that because he doesn't have Jim Carrey's manic energy he can't sell the banter with the child so he has to go.

My favorite iteration of this, and I mean that sincerely, is all of Roland Emmerich's movies. Like, all of them. The main protagonist is some sulky divorced dad loser whose ex is now with a real good guy, just the best guy. This guy is so good, such a towering pillar of morality and strength, that he inevitably sacrifices his life to save the protagonist, his wife, and his step kids. And he'll say some poo poo to the sack of garbage protag like, "take good care of them, they mean everything to me" right before doing the most heroic thing imaginable. It is so loving funny every time.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My favorite iteration of this, and I mean that sincerely, is all of Roland Emmerich's movies. Like, all of them. The main protagonist is some sulky divorced dad loser whose ex is now with a real good guy, just the best guy. This guy is so good, such a towering pillar of morality and strength, that he inevitably sacrifices his life to save the protagonist, his wife, and his step kids. And he'll say some poo poo to the sack of garbage protag like, "take good care of them, they mean everything to me" right before doing the most heroic thing imaginable. It is so loving funny every time.

My girlfriend haaated me for pointing this out as we suffered through Moonfall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

It's extra funny to bring this divorced American macho dad energy when you're a gay German guy.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The exact opposite of this is in San Andreas. A coward who abandons his stepdaughter while she is trapped by debris, later shoving someone else into danger to save his own hide. You're almost rooting for him to die and for the ex-wife and the main character (good upstanding rescue pilot played by The Rock) to get back together again.

The thing is, he dies on the Golden Gate bridge surrounded by lots of other people fleeing the city. They might have not been crushed by a container from a cargo ship, but they surely drowned because of the insane waves. Kind of hard to feel the schadenfreude that way, it doesn't matter that they where all nameless extras or CGI creations in distant shots.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Apr 26, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spielberg's War of the Worlds is a funny one since it kinda plays the opposite of the usual Disaster Movie Protagonist role (and the bits where he plays it straight iirc were probably mandated by the studio) with his entire family surviving despite running away on their own without him, and an ending suggesting he realises they never needed him as much as he thought they did.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Captain America: The Winter Soldier is definitely one of the best MCU movies, but I still get really annoyed that Cap hid the "ultra secret USB drive" in a vending machine. And not, like, inside the money area, or up behind the trim where it wouldn't be seen. No, kept it in the dispenser for some gum. Visible to the naked eye. Do I think Hydra was going to find it there? No (although Black Widow easily did.)

But what if some guy was buying gum, saw the USB drive, and figured he'd plop a few more quarters in there to get it? He'd pop it into his PC at home to see what's on it, get confused that it's government secrets, then not have time to contemplate it before a missile blows up his entire street.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sugar (colin farrell series), theres just floor inside his door. he comes home and walks in and its his living room floor. some kind of laminate, from the sound, so its probably cheap to replace for a guy like him. but still, no mat or anything? insanity

Look at this bourgeois fancy pants who can afford a mat.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

DrBouvenstein posted:

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is definitely one of the best MCU movies, but I still get really annoyed that Cap hid the "ultra secret USB drive" in a vending machine. And not, like, inside the money area, or up behind the trim where it wouldn't be seen. No, kept it in the dispenser for some gum. Visible to the naked eye. Do I think Hydra was going to find it there? No (although Black Widow easily did.)

But what if some guy was buying gum, saw the USB drive, and figured he'd plop a few more quarters in there to get it? He'd pop it into his PC at home to see what's on it, get confused that it's government secrets, then not have time to contemplate it before a missile blows up his entire street.
Relating to the conversation last page, this would 100% fit in as a gag scene in Archer.

(I agree that plot point was pretty :raise: in the actual movie)

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
Normally I finish what I'm watching first, but I had to stop 28 Weeks Later and come complain right away.

The infected (and highly infectious) wife is being held in some secure facility, but the room she's in has no guards and is unlocked. Robert Carlyle just walks right in and makes out with her.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bk. posted:

Normally I finish what I'm watching first, but I had to stop 28 Weeks Later and come complain right away.

The infected (and highly infectious) wife is being held in some secure facility, but the room she's in has no guards and is unlocked. Robert Carlyle just walks right in and makes out with her.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure he has a skeleton key and the guard stepped out for a smoke, or something. Still not exactly Fort Knox, but they didn't have a revolving door to her cell.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I took a date to see that at the movies. That scene kinda killed the sexy time atmosphere.

Not as bad as the time I took a date to see starship troopers at the movies after a big spaghetti dinner though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you took me to see starship troopers after a big spaghetti dinner I wouldn't complain. Sounds like a great night out.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Alien may be a bad movie choice, though.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can speak from experience that Colossal starring Anne Hathaway & Jason Sudeikis is a terrible date movie, especially if you know the plot twist.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh, yea that one was a gut punch.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marcade posted:

Alien may be a bad movie choice, though.

If Alien turns out to be a bad movie choice at any time they're not the one for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure he has a skeleton key and the guard stepped out for a smoke, or something. Still not exactly Fort Knox, but they didn't have a revolving door to her cell.

He's shown to have some sort of key card thing because he's a maintenance guy or custodian or whatever, guess I missed him using it to get into the cell.

Don't worry, I have more complaints.

The annoying little brother character foreshadowingly tells his sister that they definitely won't get separated again.

The inevitable separation happens when they both fall down some stairs in a dark subway station.
Sis is then at the bottom of the stairs, obviously.
Bro is just randomly somewhere else.

Edit:
The kid's name is Mackintosh Muggleton, which is pretty funny.
The sister is played by Imogen Poots, who is obviously more well known but also has a very funny name.
This is not a complaint.

Bk. has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Apr 26, 2024