Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

And the older one does some things like that, too. Like the weapons merchants have guns, and the whole thing is presented as actors going out into the desert to perform it.

quote:

The original movie also had guards with guns, modern items in the marketplace, and a piano.

Oh, and I just remembered the old movie also had tanks and jets chasing Judas before Blood Money started up. It was definitely very surreal in parts.

The 2000 version doesn't explicitly show it's all just a performance but it really feels like a theatrical production filmed like a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

WickedHate posted:

Oh, and I just remembered the old movie also had tanks and jets chasing Judas before Blood Money started up. It was definitely very surreal in parts.

The 2000 version doesn't explicitly show it's all just a performance but it really feels like a theatrical production filmed like a movie.

Missed that "original" in there; I can read :downs:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

If it is incredibly important for someone to answer the call you are about to make, without fail the person you are calling will have their phone in another room and on vibrate. At no point will the person ever have a ringer turned on on their phone, or have their phone on them. Also, the vibrate function on their phone is the weakest, quietest vibrate in existence.

If the person happens to have their ringer turned on, they will be in the shower.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Kruller posted:

If it is incredibly important for someone to answer the call you are about to make, without fail the person you are calling will have their phone in another room and on vibrate. At no point will the person ever have a ringer turned on on their phone, or have their phone on them. Also, the vibrate function on their phone is the weakest, quietest vibrate in existence.

If the person happens to have their ringer turned on, they will be in the shower.

This is so incredibly loving annoying, especially when that person is desperately waiting to hear back from someone who they love and is potentially in danger.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kruller posted:

This is basically my relationship with my phone :shobon:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's fine if they aren't expecting the call, but if the character knows that there's an important call coming, it's unforgivable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kruller posted:

Oh god, this drove me crazy in Godzilla. It didn't affect the plot, really, but it was there, and dammit that poo poo was dumb.

Still a good movie, though.

E: It was because it was the movie drawing attention to the whole "well, this plot point doesn't work, because cell phones" thing by jamming a cell phone in your face. With its love of showing the aftermath of violence, and not the violence itself, I was almost surprised there wasn't a contrasting scene with a pile of rubble and the sound of tens of cell phones going off, unanswered, underneath it. That would be way too dark, though.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 00:24 on May 24, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I feel like there was a recent movie that did that. Just panning over the destruction and then one by one cell phones start going off?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In the fun little movie Go, Sarah Polley's character works in a supermarket. At the start of the film, an exhausted mother gets into a mild argument with her and Polley cops a real attitude towards her. The mother, exasparated, says,"You know I used to have your job", and Polley replies,"Yeah, look how that worked out for you. :rolleyes:"

This bit has always irritated me far more than it should. Everything about the way it is presented indicates this is supposed to be considered Polley's character delivering a super :iceburn: on the mother, when she's basically admitting that she's in a dead-end job and is likely to end up in a similar situation to the frazzled mother, who might even be trying to warn her.

It makes sense that a teenager wouldn't grasp the idea that they won't be young forever, but the presentation of it is just so weird and irritates me every time.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

In the fun little movie Go, Sarah Polley's character works in a supermarket. At the start of the film, an exhausted mother gets into a mild argument with her and Polley cops a real attitude towards her. The mother, exasparated, says,"You know I used to have your job", and Polley replies,"Yeah, look how that worked out for you. :rolleyes:"

This bit has always irritated me far more than it should. Everything about the way it is presented indicates this is supposed to be considered Polley's character delivering a super :iceburn: on the mother, when she's basically admitting that she's in a dead-end job and is likely to end up in a similar situation to the frazzled mother, who might even be trying to warn her.

It makes sense that a teenager wouldn't grasp the idea that they won't be young forever, but the presentation of it is just so weird and irritates me every time.

That movie is really underrated. It has a lot of stupid poo poo in it like what you just said but the scenes with the pyramid scheming Jane Krakow and William Fichtner vs. Scott Wolf and Jay Mohr are gold.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, I think it's a really fun movie and gets too easily overlooked by people. That one scene in particular is the only one that really bugs me.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
If you want to talk about deliberately altering music to create a mood, Backbeat had it so the songs were played more punk than they actually were in order to give the sense of "newness".

Sound is always the key to a good product. People will surprisingly put up with a bad picture than having worse sound.

And to explain the nightmare of ADR or looping, which is far far more common than people expect.

When filming on set or on location you have to keep in mind the audio tone or presence of a room. This is pretty much how something sounds based off what the room's made of or the size of a room - so if you record someone talking in a church and have to replace that sound later on, it has to match.

Tone can also be very very subtle stuff like the hum of lights or powerlines outdoors - everything gives off something.
It's main use is to provide "padding" of sorts between lines of dialouge so we don't actually end up in true silence.

You'll notice many moments of silence in films are actually a contrast between a loud sound and a quieter one.

When you're mastering ADR you have to alter the sound from a dead studio environment to match wherever it was shot, or to give it a feel that it was shot on location; for instance a green screen bathroom needs to have the audio sound right.

This however is different than atmos or ambiance noise such as crowd walla or background cars.

Diegetic sound is another element that is create some of the more interesting problems when it comes to being used as a soundtrack piece. That amusing convertible car radio that gets quiet when the door's shut's a great gaffe.

Sound that doesn't actually fit is often used to highlight your attention towards something or to give it a presence. For instance nearly every car in a chase scene is always mixed in with something more grunty - there's a great feature on The Bourne Identity about the sound design on the Mini chase.

Another great one is off Terminator 2 where Sarah Connor is running barefoot down the asylum corridors. She sounds like she's wearing flat shoes.

BogDew has a new favorite as of 04:38 on May 24, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Sarah just has Bob Terwilliger syndrome.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Last time I saw Into The Wild was in grade 9 and it was only part of it but there's something I still don't get about it. Was the movie trying to make you agree with Christopher McCandless? Even in grade 9, when I didn't know anything about the incident, I knew he was going to starve to death. He makes a big deal about how horrible his life is but he just graduated from university with a law degree and his parents were trying to buy him a nice car. Then he just abandons his family to go into the Alaskan wilderness with almost no gear or any knowledge of how to survive. Plus, he mooches off of people he meets, ignores warnings from park rangers and poaches animals.

Then again, I only saw part of the movie so correct me if I'm wrong.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 07:58 on May 24, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Celery Face posted:

Was the movie trying to make you agree with Christopher McCandless?
The film seems to pity him but also points out how foolish he was just wandering off on some romantic dream to live in the wild. Everyone pretty much insinuates "you will die if you don't learn how to survive".

They finally discovered he'd died of lathyrism from eating seeds that wouldn't have had any effect on you normally, but his malnorishment caused the toxins to fatally react.

Plus I recall finding the opening title looking like some lazy thing from a TV movie in the 90's...."heeeey we can animate stretch text!"

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Nobody posted:

This is so incredibly loving annoying, especially when that person is desperately waiting to hear back from someone who they love and is potentially in danger.

It was terrible in Avengers. Pepper is watching the whole new York destruction thing on TV and Tony tries to call her in what he thinks are the last moments of his life. The phone is right there but nope. Not even on vibrate. Just silently showing Tonys face.
I guess this is the new "there's no signal!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ahhhh man, having no signal in a time of crisis. I'm glad they still use it in movies today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

I also like the trope of people yelling "Come on, COME ON!! GUUARGHH" at technology when it's not working in their time of need. :allears:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Shai-Hulud posted:

It was terrible in Avengers. Pepper is watching the whole new York destruction thing on TV and Tony tries to call her in what he thinks are the last moments of his life. The phone is right there but nope. Not even on vibrate. Just silently showing Tonys face.

Are you aware that this is in fact a thing that happens in real life?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Shai-Hulud posted:

To be fair, if I was watching someone I knew battle aliens live on TV, they'd probably be the last person I'd expect to get a call from at that moment.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It's almost always there to answer the "WELL WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE JUST USE THEIR CELL PHONE DUH" question that some moron will inevitably ask. Here, this is why, shut up. There is no happy medium.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Slim Killington posted:

It's almost always there to answer the "WELL WHY DOESN'T SOMEONE JUST USE THEIR CELL PHONE DUH" question that some moron will inevitably ask. Here, this is why, shut up. There is no happy medium.

They should enact a law that requires films to be set no later the mid-80s. DynaTACs are acceptable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ror posted:

They should enact a law that requires films to be set no later the mid-80s. DynaTACs are acceptable.

Then you would alienate the audience because they wouldn't understand where all the cell phones are.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Whatever happened to good old-fashioned paranoia-inducing film? There's a reason we're scared to swim in the ocean or why we get a little nervous in the shower when we're all alone. It's time to make a film that preys on everyone's attachment to cell phones and scares people a little.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

Then you would alienate the audience because they wouldn't understand where all the cell phones are.
I didn't catch on that No Country For Old Men was set in the 80s until the very end. I'm sure there were moments when someone could really have used a cell phone but I sure didn't miss them.

The "no signal" thing always struck me as pretty lazy. It's like the writers know one way to create suspense, and cell phones coming into existence negates their setups, but instead of coming up with something new they just make sure to say NOPE DOESN'T WORK and carry on as usual.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Can I post a moment I found awesome/funny but I'm sure other peoe will find irritating.

Saw Days of Future Past last night and loved the explanation for Professor X being alive when he was exploded into a million bits the last time we saw him.
They just didn't bother with any explanation at all and just ignored that it even happened.
Honestly I wish more movies would do that. Especially amusing since it's a time travel movie which gives you a "get out of jail free card" when it comes to retconns

Made even funnier by the fact that my mate seemed to be fixated on it before the movie started.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! has a new favorite as of 15:50 on May 24, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've a vague feeling that other than the actors (and by no means all of them) the X-men trilogy and First Class, The Wolverine and DoFP are actually set in different continuities. Wolverine: Origins *shudder* definitely is, given the locations of Emma Frost in each.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Can I post a moment I found awesome/funny but I'm sure other peoe will find irritating.

Saw Days of Future Past last night and loved the explanation for Professor X being alive when he was exploded into a million bits the last time we saw him.
They just didn't bother with any explanation at all and just ignored that it even happened.
Honestly I wish more movies would do that. Especially amusing since it's a time travel movie which gives you a "get out of jail free card" when it comes to retconns

Made even funnier by the fact that my mate seemed to be fixated on it before the movie started.
Didn't they address it sometime in The Last Stand? I know Prof X was lecturing some students on some metaphysical poo poo regarding a "what if" scenario that coincidentally led into the after credits scene where he (another Professor X body?) woke from a coma to say "Hello, Moira." :shrug: I haven't watched that horrible movie in a while so details are fuzzy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A generic cliche that really bothers me when it comes up is you have a character who is ex-cia or special forces or whatever, a bad-rear end who is now a good guy.

A situation like this occurs:
(hostage is tied up in chair in middle of room all alone)
Geek/friend/extra: Lets grab her.
Badass: No, as soon she gets off the chair, there's a bomb that will kill us all.
G/f/e: How do you know?
Badass: Because its what I would have done.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Slim Killington posted:

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned paranoia-inducing film? There's a reason we're scared to swim in the ocean or why we get a little nervous in the shower when we're all alone. It's time to make a film that preys on everyone's attachment to cell phones and scares people a little.

One Missed Call is the movie you're looking for;

or even closer is Stephen King's novel Cell where literally everyone turns into zombies if they answer their cellphone. Will probably be made into a movie sooner or later.

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Ahhhh man, having no signal in a time of crisis. I'm glad they still use it in movies today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIZVcRccCx0

Why is this such an issue? That Youtube link for example apparently shows a load of films that take place in the middle of nowhere, not having a phone signal seems very plausible to be honest.

I grew up in a village in Northern Ireland, you still can't get any phone signal on the main street there. I'll be in a bar in Dublin later that has really crappy phone signal for some reason, poor phone signal is very much a thing that happens. If I'm out by a lake or out in a desert then yep, I'd expect to have no phone signal.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Attack the Block mentions the cell phone thing pretty early. The characters are all broke teenagers with prepaids. One guy in the entire group has a text credit left.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I've a vague feeling that other than the actors (and by no means all of them) the X-men trilogy and First Class, The Wolverine and DoFP are actually set in different continuities. Wolverine: Origins *shudder* definitely is, given the locations of Emma Frost in each.

I thought it was just a different continuity or at least the things had gone differently in the nightmare future but then halfway in the movie Wolverine has a flashback to X-men 3.

Which amuses me even more now I think about it

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sailor Viy posted:

One Missed Call is the movie you're looking for;

or even closer is Stephen King's novel Cell where literally everyone turns into zombies if they answer their cellphone. Will probably be made into a movie sooner or later.

Eli Roth (Hostel) was attached to write and direct Cell adaption but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. As long as they tweak the weird nonsensical Stephen King ending a Cell movie would be really good though.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Eli Roth (Hostel) was attached to write and direct Cell adaption but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. As long as they tweak the weird nonsensical Stephen King ending a Cell movie would be really good though.

I would love to see a Cell movie. Or any movie heavily featuring Baby Elephant Walk.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

X-3 early on has a class on ethical use of mutant powers involving a comatose patient and blah blah. After Xavier gets atomized, the post-credits scene has the camera on Moira while Xavier greets her, implying that he used his powers to reconstruct himself via that guy's material.

Being psychic is like being a wizard.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

In so many TV shows and movies whenever the actor fires a handgun they flick their wrist upward miming the recoil and muzzle bast to be added later. It is always so far of what it actually looks like to shoot a gun with bullets that come out of it. Like they should be saying "pew pew" under their breath.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
Yeah, in X-3 Xavier survived by transferring his mind into a convenient comatose guy's body. The director's commentary on the DVD reveals that coma guy was actually Xavier's identical twin brother, who apparently also can't walk due to leg muscle atrophy, or a coincidentally similar spinal cord injury, or who knows what. Thus making Xavier's death in that movie completely pointless. Actually, given how Magneto is stronger than ever in the future scenes of Days of Future Past, the whole story of X-3 was completely pointless, but we already knew that from the wobbly chess piece at the end of X-3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the end of Days of Future Past explicitly makes it so X3 never happened I don't think you're supposed to think too much about how it was a sequel to it.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

muscles like this? posted:

Considering the end of Days of Future Past explicitly makes it so X3 never happened I don't think you're supposed to think too much about how it was a sequel to it.

Except that when past-Xavier reads future-Wolverine's mind, we get a quick flashback of him killing Jean. So it clearly is supposed to be a sequel to X-3. At least until the end nullifies the entire rest of the film franchise except for First Class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know, I'm saying that the producers obviously didn't like X3 (especially because it was the one that Singer got pushed out of) so they don't care that it doesn't really line up that well.