Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do get the vibe of something that's trying to go for a subversive ending that they really have no idea how to even begin to actually pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Not just that movie but any movie with a Confederate soldier as the lead is not something I can really watch. I just want them to die the whole time.

Agreed. It’s why I can’t watch Cold Mountain

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But he wasn't one of the bad pro-slavery traitors.

Also, the war's been over for years, but he still wears the uniform.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's a whole Thing in westerns, including the original Django iirc. One that really didn't get examined as much as it shoulda been.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But he wasn't one of the bad pro-slavery traitors.

Also, the war's been over for years, but he still wears the uniform.

That said I think the implication's usually that the uniform is the only set of clothes he owns.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Also one of them has a bullet in him and is 100% going to die from it in a horrible way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I kinda liked in Call of Juarez 2 (video game). The brother protagonists were confederate soldiers, and very much horrible people you should not cheer for.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The Good Place: Eventually Hitler will be allowed to enter the good place.

It would be entirely on-brand for them to include a specific Anti-Hitler clause in things. Just stick him in his own loop, gently caress that guy. Gives then something to use all that penis-flattening technology the former Bad Place has laying around for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Should be more crossover fanart between The Good Place, Hazbin Hotel and HFIL.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. It’s why I can’t watch Cold Mountain
But honestly, there are so many reasons not to watch Cold Mountain.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Bussamove posted:

It would be entirely on-brand for them to include a specific Anti-Hitler clause in things. Just stick him in his own loop, gently caress that guy. Gives then something to use all that penis-flattening technology the former Bad Place has laying around for.

Forever stuck in Tuesday

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Ommin posted:

But honestly, there are so many reasons not to watch Cold Mountain.

I remember it being an alright movie, but kind of long. What am I forgetting?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So this is on while I drink my morning coffee:

Why is this called Troll 2 when the film centers around what are called goblins? :thunk:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Welcome to the internet, you must be new here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why is this called Troll 2 when the film centers around what are called goblins? :thunk:

I picked that movie for movie night when I was a kid and wasn't allowed to pick the movie night movie ever again.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

I picked that movie for movie night when I was a kid and wasn't allowed to pick the movie night movie ever again.

Credburn origin story :2monocle:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Android Apocalypse posted:

So this is on while I drink my morning coffee:

This sort of thing just used to happen all the time in Euro-Horror.

The most famous example is all the films that are Zombi 3 and/or Demons 3 but there are other examples.

Like there's a Spanish film called Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972) which is about people being terrorised by the titular Blind Dead, skeletal blood drinking templars whose eyes were pecked out by birds centuries ago and must therefore stalk the living via sound alone.

In the US it was briefly sold as Revenge from Planet Ape to cash in on the massive popularity of the Planet of the Apes. The flashback scenes showing the living Templars were cut and a title card was added that implies that the revenants were undead apes from an ancient ape civilization. No other changes were made.

Film distributors have no shame.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the US it was briefly sold as Revenge from Planet Ape to cash in on the massive popularity of the Planet of the Apes. The flashback scenes showing the living Templars were cut and a title card was added that implies that the revenants were undead apes from an ancient ape civilization.

... okay, I'll admit it, that DOES sound like an awesome premise for a horror film.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

credburn posted:

You shouldn't have pissed on hospitality.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
my mom started watching This is Us, and it might just be me catching bits of it, but it legit seems like the family would have been better off if they hadn't adopted the third kid. Like, three kids to two adults is already stretching it before you get into the race issue/the lies. Of course, no story then, but it feels like a huge red flag about adoption, kinda like how that movie Orphan had a thing about how many kids were in foster care and in need of homes, after a horror movie showing why it's an insane idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Okay, I tried to watch Dark Waters last night. It's your standard film about a plucky environmental lawyer taking on an evil chemical company that's been dumping a toxic chemical into a town's water supply. In this case, the chemical is PFOA. And I'm not disputing that it's toxic, or that DuPont is evil, or that they were dumping it into the town's water supply.

But Jesus Christ, when we get to the big reveal, it's just horrendous. Check this poo poo out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txSfGkMoxbY&t=93s

quote:

“There is a man-made chemical. It was invented during the Manhattan Project. It repelled the elements, especially water. So they used it to make the first ever waterproof coating for tanks. It was indestructible. Then some companies thought “Hey, why just the battlefield? Why not bring this chemical into American homes?” DuPont was one of those companies. So they took this chemical, PFOA, they renamed it 'C8,' and they made their own impenetrable coating. But not for tanks - for pans. They called it Teflon.

No, no, no! None of this is right! Putting aside the little quibbles (water isn't an element, neither PFOA nor Teflon was invented during the Manhattan Project), what's left over is egregiously wrong. First, the idea that this was the "first waterproof coating for tanks" is hilarious. The notion that you've even give a poo poo about putting a 'waterproof coating' on your tanks on the battlefield is hilarious. What, you don't want them to wrinkle or stain? Teflon was used in the Manhattan project, and was used as a protective coating on tanks. But they were tanks filled with uranium hexafluoride gas and the coating was to protect the tanks from the uranium hexafluoride, not from water. It's clear the scriptwriter read something about tanks and though about the kind with guns and not the kind you store fluids in because this is *insanely dumb*. And most significantly, the bit about Teflon being DuPont's brand name for PFOA is another thing that could not be more wrong. PFOA is one of various surfactant chemicals that can be used in the production of Teflon, but it's not Teflon. This is like saying gasoline is just another name for sulfuric acid, because you can use sulfuric acid in the production of gasoline. This whole speech makes it sound like your pans are coated with PFOA. I'm not sure this is because the people making the film thought the audience would be too dumb to understand the difference, or because the people making the film were too dumb to understand the difference; the bit about waterproof coatings for tanks in WWII makes me lean towards the latter.

There's another bit in the movie where they describe PFOA's structure and make it sound like chaining carbon atoms together is inherently toxic and the more carbons you have the worse the molecule is. C8? Eight whole carbons? Oh, that's bound to be bad for you.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Argylle is a dumb movie where the villains' plan is just incredibly stupid. Their top agent betrays them but then they get them back except they have amnesia. Instead of just trying to rebuild the agent's memory they create a whole fake life and send them out and just hope they'll write a book about what they need to know.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Argylle was the stupidest poo poo and I loved every second of it. It was like Roadhouse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

There's another bit in the movie where they describe PFOA's structure and make it sound like chaining carbon atoms together is inherently toxic and the more carbons you have the worse the molecule is. C8? Eight whole carbons? Oh, that's bound to be bad for you.

Oh no! Weed has like 20 carbons, that's as bad as smoking 2 1/2 teflons :ohdear:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Push El Burrito posted:

Argylle was the stupidest poo poo and I loved every second of it. It was like Roadhouse.

We talking Swayze or Gyllenhaal?

My IIMM is that I have to ask that question in the first place.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Was the new Roadhouse a remake, or a sequel of some kind? Was it one of those things where it's kind of the same thing but it's like the pain-don't-hurt guy's son?

edit: I know that comma is grammatically superfluous but I feel like it needs to be there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
It's a remake that sadly doesn't take part in the same amazing reality of world-famous warrior-poet bouncers as the first one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It was a poo poo roadhouse movie but a decent drifter fights against rich assholes movie.

Decent fight scenes too.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's a whole Thing in westerns, including the original Django iirc. One that really didn't get examined as much as it shoulda been.

That said I think the implication's usually that the uniform is the only set of clothes he owns.

Django was a Union guy and the bad guys were ex-Confederates (and a Mexican gang, ofc, which is a whole other thing in the genre). Spaghetti westerns seemed to split 50/50 between bad guys or the hero being former Confederates. Wanted (1967) with Giuliano Gemma is a pretty gross one where the Southron hero is just so honorable and the mean Northerners are so unfair, left a bad taste in my mouth. Another Gemma flick from 1969, The Price of Power, translates the JFK assassination to a fictionalized killing of President Garfield on a visit to Dallas and explores post-Civil War politics with an obvious parallel in the 1960s.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think the only "hero" Confederate movie that I've ever seen was "The Outlaw Josey Wales", mainly because the yankees decided to be complete assholes to the surrendering soldiers and he just wanted to gently caress off and live with his Indian friend, his rock candy, and his wife.

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
A couple of minutes into The Luther Movie, they gave Andy Serkis a distractingly terrible haircut.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hey man that’s a nice haircut
For a clown to wear
To the serkis
Idiot

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Not to get all E/N but a friend of mine fell over dead about an hour ago and your post made me ugly cry laugh. Thanks oldpainless.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

oldcheerup :unsmith:

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009
A fresh spin on one of my all-time favorite stupid internet pictures. I think about that little exchange all the time and this will only make things worse.
Thank you.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In D.O.A Dead or Alive (2006) we are expressly told there are no weapons allowed in the fights HOWEVER in the fight between Leon and Kasumi both are shown throwing objects and using items around the room, yet are never disqualified

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

oldpainless posted:

In D.O.A Dead or Alive (2006) we are expressly told there are no weapons allowed in the fights HOWEVER in the fight between Leon and Kasumi both are shown throwing objects and using items around the room, yet are never disqualified

is that the game where one of the bosses is made from quicksilver/mercury but still has bouncy boobs?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's the one with the volleyball spinoff, right?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

^^^They made three of them!

Carthag Tuek posted:

is that the game where one of the bosses is made from quicksilver/mercury but still has bouncy boobs?

That's Dural from the Virtua Fighter games. Dead Or Alive does feature clones of the ninja girl, but I believe those are translucent instead of metallic.

I think the lore behind Dural is that she is the mother of ninja fighter Kage-Maru that has been experimented on by some dark corperation. I guess those just love organizing fight tournaments and messing around with ninjas.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

I wouldn’t know. My parents forbade video games and I’ve never gotten into them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's the one with the volleyball spinoff, right?

Correct my friend. I must have spent hundreds of hours in my teenage years playing that game