Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of bugs me about the zombie romance movie Warm Bodies is how at the very end when R comes back to life his facial scars are just gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Esroc posted:

On re-watching Firefly I noticed it had some of the worst gunfights in recent memory. Film and TV show gunfights are always hilarious. No one uses cover properly, no one ever has to reload, and the bad guys are always conveniently terrible shots. Hell, there was a scene with Zoe going into some kind of roll down a hallway crowded with guys shooting at her. Not only do they miss the person doing a hedgehog impersonation right in front of them, they wait patiently as she stands up and unloads a clip into all of them.

The crappy TV show Andromeda had a good explanation as to why the main characters never actually got shot in gun battles. Because it took place in the future guns didn't fire bullets, instead they shot tiny missiles and the main characters (who had better tech than the bad guys) all wore devices that disrupted the tiny missile guidance systems.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, that bugged me too when I first saw the movie.

ASM2 and the mechanical webshooters bring up a little problem. In the first movie he gets the webfluid from Oscorp but in 2 they announce that Oscorp got rid of all their modified spiders. So where was he still getting the webfluid?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about the first Mission Impossible movie is all the misleading scenes early on with Jon Voight. Mainly the stuff where he's betraying the group but they film the scenes in such a way that you don't see it, even though nobody else is there watching it happen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Puntification posted:

It occasionally happens: in the 5th or 6th friday the 13th movie there's a scene where the FBI just gun him down with automatic weapons. It may or may not have stopped him, I don't remember.

That was in the 9th movie, Jason Goes to Hell. It was a weird one because that's the one where Jason gets the ability to swap take over bodies after he's "killed."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A stupid thing about the end of the first Men in Black is how Will Smith has some new "stylish" version of the suit and sunglasses. Even though that defeats the whole purpose of both in the first place. They're supposed to be nondescript, not flashy. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this since they go right back to the plain versions for the sequels.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, her giving him skin was stupid because he could already feel with his robot skin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, that's kind of Spock's thing. He acts like he's all emotionless but he's the exact opposite. That's even a plot point in Trek09.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was that episode where Wesley was applying to Starfleet and there were all these super crazy and difficult tests and I'm like, really? Every single redshirt went through this crap? I don't think so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering the end of Days of Future Past explicitly makes it so X3 never happened I don't think you're supposed to think too much about how it was a sequel to it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know, I'm saying that the producers obviously didn't like X3 (especially because it was the one that Singer got pushed out of) so they don't care that it doesn't really line up that well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about The Raid 2 is how they just kill off the corrupt cop and Rama's brother in the first five minutes. If you skipped the very beginning you could watch it on its own without considering it a sequel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mission Impossible's super spying where Ethan Hunt goes on Usenet and looks up "Max.com" to find the black market broker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

In X men first class it's revealed that a government agency helped to found the X men. But when Trask is talking with congress none of this is mentioned. It's as though they just discovered mutants. They kind of handwave the Cuba incident as well.

In the first timeline of Days of Future Past, the super Sentinels are wiping out mutants. But that means the events of the first Xmen trilogy happened, as well as First Class. This kind of confuses me:

-With no time traveling Wolverine to help Charles, how does he get his mojo back to re-found the X men?

-How is Stryker so young, when in Wolverine Origins he was at least ten years older? How the hell do you get to be a friggin colonel so young?

-How was Mystique still with Magneto when it turned out they had a falling out back in the seventies?

At the end of FC Xavier mind wiped at least Rose Byrne's character and who knows who else. For a lot of the other stuff I think you can assume that it happened much later, like Xavier refounding the school and Magneto breaking out of prison and teaming back up with Mystique.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jay 2K Winger posted:

or put a metal ring on the jar or something.

There was a metal ring on the rim of the glass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I don't get about the Blade movie series is the whole "pureblood vampire" thing. If vampires are supposed to be immortal and/or undead I don't understand how they would age or reproduce.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pixeltendo posted:

Watched Pacific Rim earlier today, one thing bothered me.

Why on earth did the government think making a giant wall over giant robots was a good idea? did they like, expect the monsters to give up and go home?

They started the wall thing because the Jaegers were losing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

On pacific rim. How can they complain about a budget anyways. The world is about to be taken over. Screw the debt and start printing money or you know just ignore the money thing and save the world:

Because while to us the viewer and to the main characters its obviously the end of the world, to the other people its just a disaster that keeps happening. The monsters are only attacking countries along a pretty narrow part of the world, people in Europe/most of Asia and Africa probably don't really care about whats going on with the Kaiju, except academically.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The fairly terrible Ryan Reynolds/Jeff Bridges action comedy RIPD has some confusing parts. Like, why exactly are they hiding the whole afterlife from normal people?

Also I thought it was completely unnecessary that their guns completely erase people from existence. Especially for how cavalier they were in shooting "deadoes."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Heres Hank posted:

Do you not have this reaction in other movies where characters are cavalier about shooting people and the consequence is, you know, dying?

Most other movies the main characters aren't armed with the knowledge that they are literally erasing the person from existence. Also I do have a problem with the beginning of MiB3 where J and K are just gunning down aliens left and right and they're exploding into goo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The thing that really bugged me about that movie was that they couldn't decide whether they wanted the magic to be realistic or over the top. So there's stuff like a big part of the plot involving a mirror box but then you have Isla Fisher flying around in a big CG bubble.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about The Bourne Legacy is how the bad guys just indiscriminately kill everyone in the program. Especially because the movie shows all of the various people don't actually know anything outside of their little section.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first season of Hannibal had a casual drive from Baltimore to Minnesota.

Characters also pop around from Quantico to Baltimore at the drop of a hat when its around 75 miles one way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ammanas posted:

I'm fairly sure they all flew, and it wouldn't be too long a flight. Hannibal is seen driving an SUV when taking Abigail home at one point, for instance. He drives some luxury sedan day-to-day.

I think he's talking about the last episode of season 1 where Will kidnaps Hannibal and they drive to the Hobbs house.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Shawshank Redemption:

How did Andy keep putting the poster back up over the tunnel entrance after he was inside of it?

You see it at one point during the flashback where he's working on it. Basically he just taped the top of the poster and let the bottom hang loose. That way he could get under it and when he was through it would just hang down like normal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oldpainless posted:

In Thor 2, does the movie explain how Loki is imitating Odin at the end or where the real Odin is?

For the first part, Loki can change shape.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

I always thought it was illusion rather than physical change.

In the movies you see him use illusions but its unclear on whether or not he's physically changing things when he does so. In the comics he can definitely actually change his shape to be other people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

This happened in a Marvel published comic as well as mythology?

It happened but as something characters have talked about happening in the past. There aren't issues of Thor where Loki is running around as a pregnant horse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also currently Loki is going through a weird phase where he's not quite the same as he's been in the past so he can only shapeshift into versions of himself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first Robocop does something that's the opposite of one of my pet peeves. Namely, when Robocop is having his flashbacks in his empty house they're all from first person perspective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, in ME1 the big thing about the Normandy was its stealth systems. Which just made it so that it didn't have any heat signature, it wasn't actually invisible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that bugs me about Les Miserables is how Jean Valjean keeps telling Javert that he'll come back and turn himself in and that he's a man of his word but never actually does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Sleepy Hollow did the OnStar thing as well, but at least they played it off sort of plot-related, as the main character is a revolutionary war-era transplant into the modern age, so he's suitably surprised by modern technology and that helpful lady hiding in the motor-carriage.

It also wasn't actually product placement because they called it something other than OnStar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Recently I watch the god-awful World War Z and it made me realize that I loathe when characters somehow have telescopic vision. Brad Pitt sees a tiny, famished boy across a significant distance not get eaten by zombies. He SOMEHOW sees enough details to tell that they just run around the kids despite, from his perspective, there is no way he could tell that and then just assumes zombies won't go after sick people.

:psyduck:

That would be because the scene with the kid was added in later. All the stuff about zombies not eating sick people was part of a massive ending rewrite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Elysiume posted:

What I've heard about the Russia ending sounds terrible. More terrible than the ending WWZ did have.

The main issue I've heard about the Russia ending was that it wasn't really an ending. Quick breakdown for those who haven't read about it:

Movie is mostly the same (leaving out the scenes of people not getting attacked) up until the plane. Instead of going to England the plane heads toward Russia, when they get there Brad Pitt is conscripted into a Russian militia that is tasked with killing zombies. Skip ahead an indeterminate amount of time. The family is now living in a refugee camp in Florida with the wife in a relationship with Matthew Fox (who you see in the released film for all of 30 seconds.) Back to Russia where Pitt is still killing zombies (this is where the city fighting scenes from the end of the movie happen) and he ends up noticing that zombies start slowing down because of the cold weather. Pitt and the Jewish soldier lady from earlier end up fleeing across Russia, getting to a boat that will take them to America. They land in Oregon and THE END.

Somebody actually thought that ending it on a cliffhanger where the zombies are all still around and Pitt doesn't get back to his family was a good idea. This wasn't just a script either, they actually filmed all that stuff before Damon Lindelof, who they brought in after terrible test screenings, watched the original version and told them it sucked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roro posted:

What I don't get about Planet of the Apes is how the apes actually managed to take over the world. Their population should have stagnated, as mentioned above, but how did they ever manage to move beyond their initial continent? It's not like humans are going to ferry them to other countries, and I don't see how they could master air or sea travel and manage to defend themselves from retaliatory strikes from humans. Not to mention the whole idea of them somehow managing to beat up and kill a species which owns guns.

I know, suspension of belief, but it's just dumb.

In the original Planet of the Apes the explanation is that a lot of animals die out from some disease so man breeds a bunch of humanoid apes and they're sold around the world.

In the new "Rise" series the ape intelligence stuff spreads because of the anti-Alzheimer's virus from the first movie. Its highly communicable, kills humans but makes primates intelligent. It spreads because the dickhole neighbor from the first movie gets infected and is an airline pilot, so he goes to an international airport where everybody there is infected and then flies to ANOTHER international airport where it spreads from as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He got shot at the end of First Class.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Obdicut posted:

TV/Books and not movie, but:

Why don't the wildlings and White Walkers just come around the seaward end of the giant ice wall? The walkers don't even need to breathe, right?

Its been a while since I read the books and the show doesn't quite touch on it but I believe there are other manned castles on the ends of the wall.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

And then he got paralyzed, could walk again, got paralyzed, etc etc.

Currently AFAIK he's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The trolls in Frozen seem really at odds with the rest of the movie. They're only in two scenes necessary to drive the plot forward, but they feel pointless, as if their role could have taken by a single character like a wizard/enchantress/magical hermit or anyone else who could exposit the same lines. It doesn't help that their Fixer-Upper song is completely off-tone by having this irrelevant, silly musical number in the middle of a dire situation. It's like splicing a scene from The Producers into the middle of Downfall.

Their song is also at odds to the rest of the movie. Like they make a thing about how there aren't really any bad people, except of course Hans. Also the weird part where Kristoff tells them Anna is engaged and they say "eh, just go after her anyway."