Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Look its a golf game with Mario in it what do you want me to say. Here's some pictures of Mario playing Golf:

I lied. There is also a picture of Luigi playing golf there, I'm really sorry. There are 14 other Super Mario Men for you to play as if Italians scare you (I understand how you feel). You can also play as your Mii and build xir up in the RPG-esque Castle Club mode. Ever wanted to know how your Mii would look/how good they'd be at golf while cosplaying as a Nintendo Game Boy? Now all your dreams can come true thanks to Mario Golf. Thanks Nintendo!

Golf is a social game and now you can pretend to be social by playing virtual golf over the internet. Play against the world in Nintendo's official tournaments, which have big cash prizes and special time-limited gear rewards, or challenge fellow shut-ins in player-created private tournaments. There's also live multiplayer online (with Mario Kart-style community codes!!) and locally. Wow, the internet is amazing!

Do you like holes? This game has lots of holes. 126 holes. Four 18-hole courses of Serious Golf and another six 9-holers of Cartoon Baby Golf, But Like Serious Golfing Babies, Like If Someone Made a Cartoon About Baby Tiger Woods Where He Played Golf And Solved Crimes. In Castle Club only the 9-holers have items and coins, but in free play and multiplayer you can toggle them on-or-off for any course.

Another 6 courses are coming out over the next couple months as DLC, $6 for each pair or $15 for the season pass. That's another 108 holes. As they say in golf: Nice! Each pack also includes an extra character, some cute pink girl toad, Rosalina, and Nabbit. Buying all 3 or the season pass also gets you Golden Mario who has the special power of golden coin diarrhea. Here's what happens when Nabbit gets a hole in one so you should probably buy him, or don't, I don't care what you do:

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

--> The Goon Golfers Association, presented by Canned Panda, sponsored by Powerade is underway. <--

Community Codes:
Battle Royale: 64-8153-5148-3314 - Match play, 9 holes, items off.
Game & Watch: 15-0066-1576-2567 - Match Play, 3 holes, items, wait for turn.

Tournament Codes:

Each person can only host 2 communities and 2 tournaments each so make your own and I'll post them here or whatever. Make sure you say whatever dumb rules you set up so people aren't surprised when they're forced to play coin rush as Birdo in a men's restroom.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 26, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hopefully the online stays active for more than the next couple of weeks, it seems like they did a really good job with it. I just unlocked Toad so I guess it's time to wreck some people in tournaments with the best character in the game

Also this game has the best loading screens

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Is there Waluigi?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Hopefully the online stays active for more than the next couple of weeks, it seems like they did a really good job with it. I just unlocked Toad so I guess it's time to wreck some people in tournaments with the best character in the game

Also this game has the best loading screens
I haven't played enough challenges to unlock him yet, is he better than the star characters? Because the star versions of some people seem kind of crazy.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Is there Waluigi?
Yes, there is time for Waluigi.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

a clogged toilet posted:

I haven't played enough challenges to unlock him yet, is he better than the star characters? Because the star versions of some people seem kind of crazy.

Nah he's pretty standard, I just like Toad

I haven't tried out the star versions of any characters yet but if Mario Tennis was anything to go by, the Mii could end up being the most broken character when you start getting the really good equipment. Also I only played a couple of holes with him, but Gold Mario could be really good too what with that weird bounce his shots get when they land.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

a clogged toilet posted:

Yes, there is time for Waluigi.

Excellent!

Also, it bears mentioning that there's a demo on the eShop. Didn't see that in the OP. :)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I haven't played Mario Golf since that one on the N64 where they had those random characters like "Paul" or whatever. Probably going to get this one when it goes cheap. I want to recreate my Bubba Watson fantasies with Wario.

Jangles
Apr 1, 2006
I'm so bad at this, why can't I win the Mountain Course championship? This game is so fun.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This game is really good. That's all I wanted to say.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Gold Mario could be really good too what with that weird bounce his shots get when they land.
His shots ignore a lot of hazards too, just like the fireball/golden fireball items. Someone somewhere is complaining about pay to win DLC I know it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'm only here to take a piss in the thread :twisted:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Why am I so bad at putting? Is there a secret technique no one told me about? :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

I'm only here to take a piss in the thread :twisted:
I said specifically not to pee in my thread, god!!

majormonotone posted:

Why am I so bad at putting? Is there a secret technique no one told me about? :ohdear:
Go play the putting challenge in castle club until you get a feel for it I guess, I found it really easy but I have played the hell out of some Mario/Hot Shots golfs and they all work the same way. You just have to learn how much to under/over shoot for hills and compensate for breaks.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Sorry but Toad is not the best character. Kamek is. :colbert:

Also Gold Mario suffers from the fact that while he hits the ball insanely far, getting the ball to stick to the green is really loving hard. :v:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm OK at putting but of course when I am up one stroke on Daisy with an easy putt she lands a 48 ft putt every time :/

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I lied, I'm impatient and bought this today. My favorite thing in the game is when you go into the Royal Room and Waluigi is just standing there, spinning for eternity and Wario is double fisting hamburgers :allears:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Anyone know if there are Castle Club tournaments for the Mario themed courses? I think I've unlocked them all but I only have the option to play practice rounds. One of the Toads said if I get a cup in a World or European tournament that'll let me enter some other thing, maybe that's it?

Argeta
Apr 29, 2009
is castle club a full on rpg mode with levels and stats like the gbc game, or is it just a "spend gold to buy different gear" thing?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

alg posted:

I'm OK at putting but of course when I am up one stroke on Daisy with an easy putt she lands a 48 ft putt every time :/

The only way I beat Daisy was that my drive was way better than hers. I can drive like a pro, I'm just absolute poo poo at putting and basically got one birdie and then tied every other hole.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Argeta posted:

is castle club a full on rpg mode with levels and stats like the gbc game, or is it just a "spend gold to buy different gear" thing?
You spend gold to get different gear. I mean you can walk around and talk to dudes like it's an RPG but it's not really the same thing. Castle Club is mostly important for unlocking all of the 16-hole courses, and there are also special challenges that show up in the 9 hole courses after you win the triple crown. Also, I think it's the only way you can participate in the World Tournaments, which is the game's equivalent of a Major.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Argeta posted:

If you played the 3DS Mario Tennis its pretty much the same thing with some RPG set dressing, you buy/unlock gear to improve your Mii, its unfortunately not the awesome GBC game where you're leveling up and sinking points into golf stats. Its also super short and you can blow through the single player tournament part of Castle Club in about 2 hours. It does have the old school Mario Golf's approach and putting challenge stuff though, which was the best part of those games.

Argeta
Apr 29, 2009

a clogged toilet posted:

old school Mario Golf's approach and putting challenge stuff

sold. that stuff was Very Much My poo poo.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Let's get some tournaments going folks!! Kind of surprised no one's made one already..

here's a little private tournament I just made, it ends in 3 days.
62-1825-3653-5659
-regular 9-holes golf "Stroke Play"
-bowser's castle
-items are ON...
-peach and daisy are banned (no girls allowed)

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.

a clogged toilet posted:

Go play the putting challenge in castle club until you get a feel for it I guess, I found it really easy but I have played the hell out of some Mario/Hot Shots golfs and they all work the same way. You just have to learn how much to under/over shoot for hills and compensate for breaks.

I just don't get it! This intermediate challenge is driving me nuts. No matter where I position that drat yellow arrow, I just can't get the ball to move where I want it to.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just picked this up. Do I need to play singleplayer before it's worth joining tournaments? How big of a difference does that make?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

You spend gold to get different gear. I mean you can walk around and talk to dudes like it's an RPG but it's not really the same thing. Castle Club is mostly important for unlocking all of the 16-hole courses, and there are also special challenges that show up in the 9 hole courses after you win the triple crown. Also, I think it's the only way you can participate in the World Tournaments, which is the game's equivalent of a Major.

So it's not as expansive as the GBC & GBA RPG modes? God dammit that's why I like mario golf

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, for goons who picked up the DLC, here's a throwback tournament on Toad Highlands! No items, no character restrictions, runs for 3 days.

22-1663-2623-9967

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
If you buy this on the European E-shop before May 29 you get a free copy of Mario Golf GBC, which simultaneously is loving awesome and makes me sad that it is 15 years old!

Already bought the season pass and Golden Mario gives you so much money, holy poo poo.

Also the GameBoy gear from the online tournament is baller as gently caress and I'm probably not gonna wear anything else ever.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Nekrews posted:

If you buy this on the European E-shop before May 29 you get a free copy of Mario Golf GBC, which simultaneously is loving awesome and makes me sad that it is 15 years old!

Already bought the season pass and Golden Mario gives you so much money, holy poo poo.

Also the GameBoy gear from the online tournament is baller as gently caress and I'm probably not gonna wear anything else ever.

Which tournament is that? I did the Mario one and didn't get anything like that.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Hakkesshu posted:

Which tournament is that? I did the Mario one and didn't get anything like that.

It's World Tournament 1, which you access in the basement of Castle whatever it's called mode.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's World Tournament 1, which you access in the basement of Castle whatever it's called mode.

Ah, yeah, I noticed the big pop-ups on the title screen tell you about all the current tournaments and prizes.

The worst part of this game is being forced to play as your dumb mii and constantly hearing his dumb voice, oh my god

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is there a fourth 18-hole course or is that a typo? I only have the green greens, coast and mountain.

Also, for the guy asking about the 9-holes in Castle Club, after clearing the triple-crown you'll occasionally get challenges for them. I dunno if it's one per day or something else that triggers a new one.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Bruceski posted:

Is there a fourth 18-hole course or is that a typo? I only have the green greens, coast and mountain.

Also, for the guy asking about the 9-holes in Castle Club, after clearing the triple-crown you'll occasionally get challenges for them. I dunno if it's one per day or something else that triggers a new one.

Sounds like you need to go into Castle Club, go outside, and go all the way to the right. Have fun with that particular challenge!

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah, yeah, I noticed the big pop-ups on the title screen tell you about all the current tournaments and prizes.

The worst part of this game is being forced to play as your dumb mii and constantly hearing his dumb voice, oh my god

Oh good, so the male Mii is bad too? My girl Mii sounds like the most japanese woman ever and it's driving me super insane.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Does collecting the star coins in the challenges earn you anything? Or is it just sort of a rating system?

I'm pretty much in love with this game, is there a list of how to unlock the four extra characters?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Fancy Hat! posted:

Does collecting the star coins in the challenges earn you anything? Or is it just sort of a rating system?

I'm pretty much in love with this game, is there a list of how to unlock the four extra characters?

Your last question is answered by the answer to your first: You get the characters at 40, 45, 50, and 55 Star Coins. You also unlock the Mario-inspired courses by getting Star Coins.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Hey, got a question for anyone with this; does it utilize the very-underused Download Play system so you don't need a copy of the game for each 3DS? Not enough games use it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jetamo posted:

Hey, got a question for anyone with this; does it utilize the very-underused Download Play system so you don't need a copy of the game for each 3DS? Not enough games use it.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Naerasa posted:

Oh good, so the male Mii is bad too? My girl Mii sounds like the most japanese woman ever and it's driving me super insane.

It is seriously the worst. OKAY YAAAEEY AH-HURHAAAR

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to fill the game with fun characters, but only let you play as the most annoying one in the modes where you actually progress. It wouldn't be so bad if they just allowed you to turn off the voice.

• Locked thread