Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harlock posted:

How reflective of the final game is the demo? I really love Hot Shots Golf because it isn't as serious as Tiger Woods, but doesn't go too far off the spectrum beyond power shots. The items seem like they would bother me depending on what they do.

The items don't make too big of a difference. They might give you a little more distance or let you take a shot you wouldn't normally be able to take (such as using a bob-omb to shoot from the rough without penalty) but it probably won't give you a huge advantage.

If you really don't like them the game plays fine with them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Maple Leaf posted:

I will help!

Could you do a gif of Diddy's Par?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

drat, getting no driver in club slots mode suuuucks. 17/20 points in the DK Jungle challenge for a Dry Bones costume. Maybe next time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

My short game has improved dramatically since I noticed that when you start putting, you have "close/medium/far" as shot options, like how you have 6 "power shots" normally. :doh: That explains everything about why sometimes I have to way overshoot the distance bar, but other times you don't want to do that and you shoot way too far (if its on close or not).
That doesn't actually change your shot power, just the length of the bar. Short is 30 feet, medium is 50, long is 100, if I remember. The only reason you ever need to adjust your power is to compensate for terrain, if there's a lot of blue on your putting line you want to overshoot, a lot of red and you undershoot. If there's a big break to the left or right you might also want to take it up a notch. Also wet greens are slower, so if its raining you might want to use 1.5x or even 2x the power or you may come up short.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a clogged toilet posted:

That doesn't actually change your shot power, just the length of the bar. Short is 30 feet, medium is 50, long is 100, if I remember. The only reason you ever need to adjust your power is to compensate for terrain, if there's a lot of blue on your putting line you want to overshoot, a lot of red and you undershoot. If there's a big break to the left or right you might also want to take it up a notch. Also wet greens are slower, so if its raining you might want to use 1.5x or even 2x the power or you may come up short.

But changing the length of the bar changes the scale of the bar :eng101:

Lets say its on short, and the distance meter tells me I need to fill 3/4ths. I know I'm going uphill. So I add another half of a bar on top to have enough power.

Now lets say its on medium, and the distance meter tells me I need 1/4th. I know I'm going uphill, so I need to add more; but adding a half of a bar is way too much on the medium scale. I only need to add like 1/5th a bar. On the far scale, adding just a tiny bit is enough to compensate for uphill. That's what I'm talking about. Really threw me off.

Also for shots where filling the small bar isn't enough power, just knowing that the medium bar exists gives you the ability to sink more shots. I probably should have played through the whole tutorial or read the manual or something, oh well! Now I know :)

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I'm still having trouble properly judging wind. If a ball spends a second in the air with a crosswind of 5m/s, would the ball land 5 meters off? Also, is the grid always 1 meter per square or does it use a different scale on higher clubs?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

I'm still having trouble properly judging wind. If a ball spends a second in the air with a crosswind of 5m/s, would the ball land 5 meters off? Also, is the grid always 1 meter per square or does it use a different scale on higher clubs?

I think you may be looking too far into it. I mean maybe I'm just not a pro-golfer but I normally just eyeball the arc and compensate accordingly. anything under 10m/s or so isn't going to require a huge amount of compensation unless it's on a drive or it's blowing straight at you on a chip shot, something like that. More than that and you'll just want to pull it wider. It should become second nature after a little while. I don't think anyone really does any math on it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

horriblePencilist posted:

Could you do a gif of Diddy's Par?

Did my best:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the online good? This game looks surprisingly fun.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Is the online good? This game looks surprisingly fun.

It's about as good as Nintendo online is going to get. You still have to deal with the friend-code nonsense but it's fairly unobtrusive. When you host a tournament you receive a code and anyone else with the code can find it. You can also join random tournaments, including Nintendo-hosted ones. You also get ghost data for anyone in the tournament so when you take a shot you can see everyone else's progress on that particular stroke.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 5, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I really wish there was a sandbox-mode where I could edit my starting position, wind or always do perfect shots so I can analyze the effect of terrain and weather conditions better. Getting identical conditions in the regular game is really hard and between the loading, animations, menus and text the whole thing takes too long.
Also thanks Maple Leaf for that amazing gif.

PantsBandit posted:

It's about as good as Nintendo online is going to get. You still have to deal with the friend-code nonsense but it's fairly unobtrusive. When you host a tournament you receive a code and anyone else with the code can find it. You can also join random tournaments, including Nintendo-hosted ones. You also get ghost data for anyone in the tournament so when you take a shot you can see everyone else's progress on that particular stroke.

Don't forget about communities, which allow you to play with random people under special conditions or play with folks from the internet without having to add them. Also, the Nintendo-hosted tournaments award you with participation prizes, such as exclusive swag for your Mii.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I did some match play last night and that also went amazingly smoothly. You even get little passive aggressive emotes on the bottom screen that you can spam while the other player is taking their shot. Turns out there's also a ton of gear unlocks you can only get in versus mode, they give you an outfit based on whatever country you chose to rep at the start and playing with people from other countries makes it possible to unlock their national stuff too.

Between that and the tournaments and whatever weird world tour thing that toad on the entry floor is teasing, I'll definitely end up spending more time playing this game online than off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a way to practice on a single hole that I'm missing? There's a couple Seaside holes I'm having trouble with and I'd like to be able to practice those without having to play through the other 16 every time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jivjov posted:

Is there a way to practice on a single hole that I'm missing? There's a couple Seaside holes I'm having trouble with and I'd like to be able to practice those without having to play through the other 16 every time.

I know you can set up a single or multiplayer game and do like just the back 9, or a random X holes. You could set it up to do just one hole and restart it a bunch, but I'm not sure if you can specifically say "start on hole number 5" though, I can't remember the options...

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

Did my best:

I don't usually do these requests, but I just have to ask, can you get Waluigi's birdie animation?
Sorry if it's a bother.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Here's a Waluigi only tournament in DK Jungle since I haven't tried this course out yet

Waluigi open - 05-8841-0523-9813 DK Jungle, items, ends in like 24 hours

Also has anyone completed the 18 hole Sky Island challenge thing? I beat the 9 hole challenge but I dunno if I have the patience to do all 18. I remember Toadstool Tour had a similar mode that gave me a lot of trouble

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Welp I just bought this poo poo, I loved Mario Golf before so I'm eager to play it again.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Hakkesshu posted:

It is seriously the worst. OKAY YAAAEEY AH-HURHAAAR

I don't know why they thought it was a good idea to fill the game with fun characters, but only let you play as the most annoying one in the modes where you actually progress. It wouldn't be so bad if they just allowed you to turn off the voice.

I have an Eggman mii I am using and the OKAY YAEEEEYYY AH-HURRHAAARRR is absolutely perfect for him. xD

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
How do you find out standings at the end of a community tourney anyway? Does it just happen the next time you go to that game mode after the end time?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Startyde posted:

How do you find out standings at the end of a community tourney anyway? Does it just happen the next time you go to that game mode after the end time?
Yeah, there's a little awards ceremony where you get the final standings and the prizes are handed out. You can also check the scores menu to see your placement in any tournament you've participated in.

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

Did my best:

Can you tell me were your finding them I don't want to buy this game I just want to see all the animations.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

SilverSupernova posted:

I don't usually do these requests, but I just have to ask, can you get Waluigi's birdie animation?
Sorry if it's a bother.

That'll be $29.99

Dr Leisure Suit posted:

Can you tell me were your finding them I don't want to buy this game I just want to see all the animations.

I'm making them myself, sorry :(

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Princess Zone - 52-8280-9778-6075, Peach Gardens, Ladies Only (Peach, Daisy, and Toadette), Items.

Are you the princessiest goon? Only time will tell.

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013

Maple Leaf posted:

That'll be $29.99

I'm making them myself, sorry :(

In that case I'd like to make a request for every animation in the game. :v:

So is will someone that not fond of golf like this game from my understanding the old mario golf games were just golf with mario in it which sound boring but I heard that this game has (for lack of a better word) mario things in it like items and other stuff?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

majormonotone posted:

Princess Zone - 52-8280-9778-6075, Peach Gardens, Ladies Only (Peach, Daisy, and Toadette), Items.

Are you the princessiest goon? Only time will tell.

what about birdo :(

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dr Leisure Suit posted:

So is will someone that not fond of golf like this game from my understanding the old mario golf games were just golf with mario in it which sound boring but I heard that this game has (for lack of a better word) mario things in it like items and other stuff?
Probably not, but you should try the demo. The demo doesn't have a lot of items, but items don't change the game as much as Mario Kart. Because of the nature of golf, this is a lot more time trial than grand prix.

quote:

Mushroom - Makes the ball roll further. Also comes in the Triple variety.
Fire Flower - Increases the shot distance and burns through trees and obstacles.
Ice Flower - Freezes terrain to allow the ball to bounce multiple times.
Bullet Bill - Ignores wind and increases maximum distance.
Bob-omb - Causes the ball to fly high into the air.
Boomerang Flower - Increases the curve of the shot.
Note Block - Creates a Jump Block in midair, letting the ball avoid water hazards.
Tornado - A tornado that sucks up nearby coins.
Kab-omb - Explodes mid air to drop the ball straight down.
Gold Flower - Gives the player coins for every yard the ball travels.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Loving this game so far, but has anyone experienced small chunks of lag when they're swinging? Sometimes my game will freeze for a fraction of a second when I'm taking a shot and it completely fucks me up. Happens with 3D is both on and off.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Just to make sure, coins aren't used for anything other than buying gear, correct? I'm planning on buying new gear as it becomes available, but don't want to do that only to find out that there's more stuff to purchase later on.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Pretty much, but you can also buy mulligans from shady dealer Kamek..

Dr Leisure Suit
Sep 21, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Probably not, but you should try the demo. The demo doesn't have a lot of items, but items don't change the game as much as Mario Kart. Because of the nature of golf, this is a lot more time trial than grand prix.

That's what I figured oh well, never liked golf so I guess I'll just have to wait till someone make a video of all the animations.

Sapoapo
Nov 6, 2011
Man, putting is stupid. Just got it earlier loving it so far.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just now noticed this on the Nintendo website, the schedule for upcoming official tournaments: http://mariogolf.nintendo.com/tournaments/tournament-schedule/

Later this month the Callaway promos start, and there's going to be a series of regional handicap tournaments too, so I guess handicap does actually count for something. I also get the impression that you need to earn a trophy in the current regional to get access to the next world tournament, and world tournament trophies will earn you an invite to the Castle Tournament in June. At least that's the feeling I get from this website/talking to toads in Castle Club.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Pretty much, but you can also buy mulligans from shady dealer Kamek..
The mulligan feature is so annoying. Instead of being a addition to the pause menu, you get a pop up prompt before every eligible game, and if you say yes to enabling mulligans, a prompt after every shot. It's terrible.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

a clogged toilet posted:

Just now noticed this on the Nintendo website, the schedule for upcoming official tournaments: http://mariogolf.nintendo.com/tournaments/tournament-schedule/

Later this month the Callaway promos start, and there's going to be a series of regional handicap tournaments too, so I guess handicap does actually count for something. I also get the impression that you need to earn a trophy in the current regional to get access to the next world tournament, and world tournament trophies will earn you an invite to the Castle Tournament in June. At least that's the feeling I get from this website/talking to toads in Castle Club.

I hope that low-handicap includes scratch/plus handicap players. I'm guessing it probably does.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
This game is great. I just picked it up today, and instead of studying for finals I've sunk about 6 hours into it.

One thing annoys me so far, though: In the goon tournaments, there's one entrant who has ridiculous scores. He is like -18 on one of them. His drives go about twice as far as mine, and I have no idea why.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ryan_woody posted:

This game is great. I just picked it up today, and instead of studying for finals I've sunk about 6 hours into it.

One thing annoys me so far, though: In the goon tournaments, there's one entrant who has ridiculous scores. He is like -18 on one of them. His drives go about twice as far as mine, and I have no idea why.

Might be using a Star Character or a whole bunch of drive-up gear on his Mii.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Star characters have better drives, you need to unlock them by doing challenges though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Start some tournaments that ban miis and star characters if that bothers you, that Waluigi tournament is a good example.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad I went back to redo my world tournament performance...my very first game was the tourny and I got an abysmal +7. Redoing it today gave me a decently respectable -4. Not a stellar performance, but I'm okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

a clogged toilet posted:

Actually you can access the schedule in the game as well.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Bob-omb doesn't affect the drive, it ignores the terrain. Say you're in a bunker, if you'd use the Bob-omb you could go with a fully powered 1W-drive no problem. Really useful.

• Locked thread