Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW
When I visited brazil a couple years ago I went to this one barbecue and they had ribs with this poo poo all over it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimichurri

I dont know the exact ingredients they used but it was loving mind-blowing I stuffed myself that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
I was in Paphos, Cyprus when I was a kid and we went to a restaurant. They had suckling pig that had been on the spit for god knows how long, but it melted in my mouth and just fell apart. I was in hog heaven. I've never tasted meat so good since.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
The roasted chicken with rosemary jus at Gautreau's for sure. Basic comfort peasant food, but insanely refined in technique. The jus is like the deepest, richest, winiest glace in the world. The marrow/truffle toast at Lilette is similarly deceivingly simple but delicious.

Non-restaurant specific, it's pretty hard to beat a lovely fresh slice of (sustainably sourced) sashimi.

PS If any area goons are up for a NOLA dining thread I'll effortpost the OP.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
Just recently, I was hiking around the Negev desert. There is an extremely nice, motherly, buxom Bedouin lady named Majdalena. She cooked babaganouj, with eggplant smoked over the fire in front of us. It was loving incredible. She made us pita, which I gladly broke the parve rules of pesach for. The BEST was her labaneh from her goats. I am going to visit her again this weekend. She is a gem of a human being.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
The lobster at El Retiro in Varadero, Cuba. I am from Nova Scotia and have had amazing Atlantic lobster, but nothing could touch the stuff at El Retiro. It made my toes curl up.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Marron - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marron - caught fresh, cooked and eaten on the river bank.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't choose a single instance because I've gotten it at many different places, but there is just something about a piece of salmon sashimi that sets off all the endorphin faucets in my brain when I put it in my mouth.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As far as the best single bite of food, I would probably say the miso glazed cod at Nobu. That's pretty much perfection right there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Every time I have lengua tacos, it's the best food I've ever tasted. I've never had tongue on a taco prepared badly, and I can't pick a single example of the best. Usually there's cilantro, radish, and avocado in the tortilla with the tongue and some kind of special hot sauce is generally provided but I straight up could not tell you which one is the best; they're all the best.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
The best thing I've had that I can think of was a conch taco off a food truck in the Bahamas washed down with a coconut & rum cocktail.

I should see if I can buy conch locally.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

contrapants posted:

The best thing I've had that I can think of was a conch taco off a food truck in the Bahamas washed down with a coconut & rum cocktail.

I should see if I can buy conch locally.

You ever visit the conch shacks down by the water? Fresh (spicy) conch salad, washed down with Kalik, which I'm guessing only tastes good in the hot Bahamian sun.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You ever visit the conch shacks down by the water? Fresh (spicy) conch salad, washed down with Kalik, which I'm guessing only tastes good in the hot Bahamian sun.

I tried conch salad at a bar by the beach. It was pretty good. I also tried a conch gyro from the same place with a Kalik. I didn't think Kalik was anything special, but that gyro is what made me buy a conch dish at every place I went to during the trip. It peaked at the taco, though.

I never had conch before that trip. I never thought of it as food before then. Now that I remember eating it, I have a craving for it again.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I tried foie gras for the first (and second last!) time at Per Se, served with brioche, black truffle coulis, a bunch of different salts and a glass of Sauternes. It looked kinda like this:

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz_photos/b...hFQ02Pa_rTn6X7w

I totally get the hype about foie gras now, even if it's not something I'd normally order. Or can afford to order. Ever.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 6, 2014

poliander
Oct 31, 2013
That is easy :). Observe the wog gloriousness !!!
(hope this image thing works, otherwise i will just look more stupid then usual)

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I can't choose a single instance because I've gotten it at many different places, but there is just something about a piece of salmon sashimi that sets off all the endorphin faucets in my brain when I put it in my mouth.

Yeah.

I'm also a big fan of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laulau

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Every time I sit down to a traditional middle eastern or Indian meal, the flavor moves me so much that THAT MOMENT becomes the happiest moment of my life. There will never be anything better than the last time I ate that food. Pakistani, Afghani, North Indian, South Indian - if the food is made well it's the best moment of my life every time. Every time.

I started eating at this place recently: http://www.afghanrestaurant.net/ and that is when I realized what a deeply emotional thing eating is because afterwards I could have put my face in my hands and cried for joy and then died and my life would have been lived to its fullest.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
Sea urchin roe sashimi from a restaurant in the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. It smelled like a bouquet of flowers and tasted like the ocean. The whole meal was full of the most incredible sushi I've ever had and I still get kinda sad any time I eat sushi back home because it pales in comparison to what I had that morning.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah seconding sea urchin roe, that is my favorite flavor. Best way I have had it was a nice large dollop on top of some scallop sashimi.

BUT NO MEATBALLS
Oct 22, 2005

Not a singular dish but the first time I ever tried crab is pretty much my biggest "holy poo poo this is good" moment.

pancaek
Feb 6, 2004

sup fellaz
Spicy agedashi tofu at Toshi Sushi in Vancouver, BC. I don't know what's in the spicy sauce, but it is extraordinary.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Probably a toss up between squid in squid ink risotto in Venice or the blue crab hand roll at sushi Nozawa. That's Sophie's Choice right there for me.

Best meal overall probably Le Cirque.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Foie Gras profiteroles from Le Pigeon. To this day, nothing better has entered my mouth.

First, they take foie gras and reduce the fat out of it to roll into the puff pastry. Then they make a foie gras mouse that they use to create an incredible ice cream. Next, they reduce the foie gras with sugar and sea salt to make a caramel sauce. Finally, they freeze-dry the foie and create a powdered sugar from it. It sounds awful and probably is illegal in most states, but it's unbelievable.

Cruelty has never tasted so delicious.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Otoro selected by the chef for omakase.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mattdev posted:

Foie Gras profiteroles from Le Pigeon. To this day, nothing better has entered my mouth.

First, they take foie gras and reduce the fat out of it to roll into the puff pastry. Then they make a foie gras mouse that they use to create an incredible ice cream. Next, they reduce the foie gras with sugar and sea salt to make a caramel sauce. Finally, they freeze-dry the foie and create a powdered sugar from it. It sounds awful and probably is illegal in most states, but it's unbelievable.

Cruelty has never tasted so delicious.

Foie gras isn't as cruel as people think it is.

*Foie farmers actually want their ducks or geese to be happy and healthy. Abused ducks can suffer bruising on their livers, which reduces the graded quality of the foie and hence profits.
*Whereas a fatty liver in humans is indicative of pathology, migratory waterfowl naturally store fat in their livers. Foie farmers just take this phenomenon to excess.
*Ducks and other waterfowl actually breathe through their tongues, so they aren't choking when the feeding tube is inserted down their throats.
*Ducks and waterfowl actually swallow fish whole. Their esophagi were built to be much tougher than a human's so the fearmongering about gavage feeding is just that:

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Probably a toss up between squid in squid ink risotto in Venice

Did you mean cuttlefish in squid ink? Because that's the popular Venetian dish and it's glorious.

e: For content, mine is Bun Cha in Hanoi's Old Quarter, Vietnam. I had tears in my eyes.

Anarkii fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 7, 2014

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Elk tenderloin, just sauteed in butter.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fresh Gummy shark caught that morning, beer battered and deep fried, served with chips in Launceston Tasmania.

I miss good fish and chips :(

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anarkii posted:

Did you mean cuttlefish in squid ink? Because that's the popular Venetian dish and it's glorious.

Must be. The five minute learn Italian podcast I listened to on the plane ride over didn't quite get me advanced enough in the language to distinguish Cuttlefish from Squid.

I would bet that for most of us the time and place and reason for the bite had just as much to do with it as the food itself.

It was I believe August in Venice, last stop on my first trip to Italy, having hit Rome and Florence in the ten days prior. Pulled out all the stops, stayed at the Hotel Danielli. Had a little bit of a problem with our reservation at the hotel due to some rear end in a top hat* booking a whole bunch of rooms, pretty much the whole hotel. When it all cleared we were in a suite (not the Presidential, which was occupied by aforementioned rear end in a top hat).
So we went to wander around the city and "get lost" which it turns out to be impossible because you are on an island. It started to rain, gently at first and then vigorously, to the point where everyone was darting from awning to awning and tourists were just going into whatever store or building was proximate. We kept going around getting drenched and realized we were hungry and ran out of places to stop for refuge from the deluge. It happened this place was a restaurant, and they were open, and nearly deserted. My five minute Italian podcast had me well versed enough to order some wine and select some items off the menu, one of which I hoped was the famous black risotto. Indeed it was. So there we were, sopping wet, having some of the best food and wine we had after a week of incredible food and wine, a once in a lifetime experience. On return to our hotel I mentioned to the concierge about our chance encounter with this amazing restaurant off the beaten path and he confirmed that not only did he know of the place but that it probably had the best squid ink risotto in all of Venice.

So yeah, the memory linked to the food is just as strong as the taste itself.

(*the then President of China)

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I've had incredible black risotto in Venice as well, as in Dubrovnik on the big seafood tavern down by the old harbour. But the next day, when I came back to the same tavern and finally dared order the huge pot of deep-fried sardines...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

As far as the best single bite of food, I would probably say the miso glazed cod at Nobu. That's pretty much perfection right there.

For me it was also something at Nobu. It was yellowtail sashimi with a paper thin slice of jalapeno on top, with a dab of some sauce that perfectly tied those two things together. It was perfect in every way.

e:

Anarkii posted:

e: For content, mine is Bun Cha in Hanoi's Old Quarter, Vietnam. I had tears in my eyes.

Very close up there was Cha Ca La Vong in Hanoi's old quarter. It's amazing.

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 8, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

For me it was also something at Nobu. It was yellowtail sashimi with a paper thin slice of jalapeno on top, with a dab of some sauce that perfectly tied those two things together. It was perfect in every way.

Yes, that's very good as well. I think the sauce is just ponzu, and there's also a little cilantro on there (I believe). One of my favorites as well. That's the best yellowtail I've ever had, no doubt.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
There's a Chinese restaurant near my parents' house in suburban eastern PA that serves braised pork belly over pickled veggies and about a hundred other dishes that don't matter to me because I just order the pork belly every time. It's unctuous, salty, melt-in-your-mouth heaven. Might anyone know what this dish is called?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sounds like Mei Cai Kou Rou/梅菜扣肉. It is a Hakka dish and good as hell. Edit: Hella good. I need to conform to the Californian dialect.

I can't speak to the "best" food I've ever had but I can speak to the most transformative foods I've ever had.

The first was a duck strudel at Kabul Restaurant in Madison, WI. It is a very strange fusion of German and Afghan cuisine. I never liked German food but I ate a lot of it growing up. I'd always loved Middle Eastern and Asian foods but the combination of the two was confusing and awesome. Delicate pastry filled with duck and delicious spices (I can trace my current love of cinnamon to that day) with a really nice sweet and tart cranberry sauce to cut the fattiness of the duck and the pastry. I tried it again later and it was less impressive but it opened my eyes to how different cuisines can mix and meld together in different and exciting ways! It wasn't quite a bastilla, though that is the closest dish I can align it with. So, so good.

The other was a sandwich from Goose the Market. Everything they do there is fantastic but the first sandwich I had there was relatively simple. It was duck bacon with mixed greens and a mild cheese (probably gruyere) with a light spray of vinegar. I remembered thinking that there is no way this sammy could justify the cost. I could get 3-4 sammies at Jimmy John's for the same price and even if it is good, there is no way it could be greater than my enjoyment of 3-4 sammies at JJ's. I was on a budget after all. After the first bite, I was hooked. I couldn't afford NOT to buy this sandwich. My tastes tend towards more elaborate dishes with lots of spices and competing flavors and they still do, but that sandwich showed me how good, fresh ingredients can be allowed to sing all on their own. It has been a good lesson.

For me, those initial revelations have been highs I have been seeking ever since. And when you get it, it is magical. I got to live vicariously through a co-worker recently. He likes sushi but doesn't get to eat it very often and when he does it is usually just OK. In the past, I'd apologized because the places I had ended up taking him weren't so good. Customers had highly recommended them, but customers have a different budget than we do so their "good" is a function of price. For us, the company is paying for it so money is no object. He was always pleased with those offerings, I assumed he was merely being polite, but when I took him to an actually good sushi place near where I live he said, "You've ruined me. This is how sushi should taste!" And isn't that the point of good food? To spoil us?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Senga Sengana strawberries, picked that morning, eaten in the mild light of early July evening after a blazing day in the strawberry fields, with a little half and half and sugar on top. Did I say little? I meant lots, of course, ahahah. With seconds. And thirds.

Nothing else in the world can ever taste as good as that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Seriously, just before I die, put a ripe, sweet, plump strawberry in my mouth to send me off.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, moving to California has made me appreciate Stawberries so much more.

So good.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Dry aged Rib-eye from Union Cattle Company in Hermosa Beach CA.

Before this, I'd never really had a "good steak" just the grocery store stuff cooked on the backyard grill.

The steak was moist and eeexxtreamly tender. Up until this point, I'd never had a steak that didn't benefit from a healthy glob of A1 steak sauce, this steak however was perfect just the way it was. I mean i'd never had beef that melted in your mouth like this steak did. Totally changed how I thought about steaks and beef in general.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
A perfectly ripe in season tomato, sliced and salted.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

A perfectly poached egg on top of fresh watercress dressed in a simple lemon vinaigrette topped with black truffle shavings. It was my lunch, made just for me and delivered to my station by one of my fellow chefs when he knew I was having a rotten day. Truffles on a staff meal were obviously a big no-no, but he decided that making my day was worth breaking the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.

Rockzilla posted:

Sea urchin roe sashimi from a restaurant in the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo. It smelled like a bouquet of flowers and tasted like the ocean. The whole meal was full of the most incredible sushi I've ever had and I still get kinda sad any time I eat sushi back home because it pales in comparison to what I had that morning.

KingAsmo posted:

Yeah seconding sea urchin roe, that is my favorite flavor. Best way I have had it was a nice large dollop on top of some scallop sashimi.

I'm so glad I came into this thread. After hearing that a lot of people think uni tasted disgusting and that they can't get the taste out of their mouths, I had it for the first time last night. It was fine, kind of ocean tasting but I didn't care for the texture so much. Very creamy. So was what I had common?

For content, the best thing I ever tasted was the blue cheese souffle at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant in Las Vegas. And kebabs in Auckland, NZ.

• Locked thread