Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

I'm watching Chikara for the first time, starting by King Of Trios. So far, I'm liking it a lot. The wrestling is great and it's really funny. Just have some questions:
Is the commentary always so bad? Are their events always in sports halls? And is inter-gender common and not considered weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

omgomgomg posted:

I'm watching Chikara for the first time, starting by King Of Trios. So far, I'm liking it a lot. The wrestling is great and it's really funny. Just have some questions:
Is the commentary always so bad? Are their events always in sports halls? And is inter-gender common and not considered weird?

Commentary is hit and miss. They always switch out the people doing commentary in every match. Sometimes, its the ring announcer and a wrestler, or the ref and a CHIKARA staffer. CHIKARA wrestles in a bunch of places. Their most used place is the Funplex in Easton, PA which is where KOT 2012 was from. It's a community center that is actually quite nice for indie wrestling standards. Besides that place, they run in a lot of fire halls, VFW's, and other places. They used to run at the ECW Arena a lot, and hopefully they will be back there at some point. And CHIKARA does a lot of intergender. When Sara Del Rey was on the roster, she fought men more than women usually. But, they do a pretty good job of giving women wrestlers a chance to prove themselves vs men.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
UMB owns on commentary, so does Larry Sweeney, the rest can suck 20 dicks.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

UMB owns on commentary, so does Larry Sweeney, the rest can suck 20 dicks.

Kingston is good too but he rarely does commentary anymore. His commentary of Darkness Crabtree vs CP Munk was gold though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DM Punk posted:

Kingston is good too but he rarely does commentary anymore. His commentary of Darkness Crabtree vs CP Munk was gold though.

King has a bad habit of burying stuff.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

King has a bad habit of burying stuff.

"Someone's getting fired"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Red is Dead posted:

chikara special has to be #1 gavok, right?

Chikara Special is more of a plot device than an angle.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Lance Steel time travelling to retrieve the only tag team partner he can trust, Younger Lance Steel.

This guy gets it.

omgomgomg posted:

Is the commentary always so bad?

UltraMantis is awesome and I don't share the hatred everyone seems to have for the others outside of Steve "The Turtle" Weiner and I guess Dasher Hatfield (mostly due to his mask muffling his speech). That said, I can definitely see why people can't stand Bryce.

Anyway, which Trios show are you starting with?

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Chikarason becomes unbearable when involved in a match that's a special promotion match. He just starts burying the other promotion and it's annoying.

BaldipISW
Mar 28, 2012

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Lost a Loser Leaves Chikara match against Tim Donst. Now he does host a children's cooking show.

The guy under mask was Dieter Von Steigerwalt, the BDK puppet authority figure.

This spoiler couldn't be more wrong, unless Hydra grew six inches in height.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

BaldipISW posted:

This spoiler couldn't be more wrong, unless Hydra grew six inches in height.

He wore lifts. I saw them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

GenericMartini posted:

Considering all there offering and the goal it doesn't seem like that bad of a kickstarter. Though the gameplay is something left to be desired, I hope they abandon the 2D sidescroller part and try something a bit more different with it.

Because that combo vid just looked clunky and bad. It'd barely hold a candle to the 300 other 2D sidescroller beat'em ups on steam, already. Especially considering Guacamelee covering the luchadore part up quite nicely.

There's not much else they can do for 50k. Maybe a puzzle game but when you're making a game for a product that is fake fighting people generally want fake fighting.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Regrettable posted:

There's not much else they can do for 50k. Maybe a puzzle game but when you're making a game for a product that is fake fighting people generally want fake fighting.

There's also already been Chikara match three games for both the PC and mobile.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

omgomgomg posted:

Male-on-female isn't that weird. At the begining of the BDK angle, Daizee Haze and Sara Del Rey were regularly beating up tag-teams, and pretty reasonably so considering Sara is as big or taller than some of the tag-teams there. They were good, competitive, athletic matches and treated as such.

Sara Del Rey went on to compete in the 12-Large summit where she ended up in a 3-way tie in her block in which she beat Cesaro

Afterwards, it wasn't uncommon to see Saturyne in Trios matches or in single against the smaller people like Ophidian or Kobald.

On special events, like King of Trios, the women's teams always compete against the men too, with an all female team actually beating The Colony and Jigsaw/Quackenbush/Manami Toyota.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

omgomgomg posted:

And is inter-gender common and not considered weird?

Everyone's about the same size and strength so it doesn't look out of place. Plus they try to have actual competitive matches. And Chikara's about as fringe as you can get on the wrestling scene.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Yeah, intergender's probably a lot easier to do on the indies where most guys are generally smaller so the size difference isn't anywhere near as pronounced as it would be if they tried to do it it in the WWE or something.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I thought it was cool that not only did Sara Del Rey beat well known indie guys like Claudio and Generico, but it was considered a big upset when she lost to lower card male wrestlers like Kobald.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Full card for Chikara's return show is complete.

Where's Chuck Taylor goddammit???

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maxallen posted:

Where's Chuck Taylor goddammit???

rolling in the literally tens of dollars that Dragon Gate/Evolve pays him.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think I read the reasoning was that this was fake fighting so why the hell shouldn't women be able to go toe to toe with men. But maybe that was just someone's explanation because if someone in Chikara said that about Chikara they'd be fired.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

In other tangentially-Chikara-related news, Ultramantis Black has been playing off-and-on shows in an eponymous militant vegan hardcore band around the Philadelphia area. Preorders for their first EP on Relapse Records are up now.

The cover's pretty amazing.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Gavok posted:

Here you go, though it was really more about Claudio vs. the Kings of Wrestling.

Coincidentally, I'm working on a list article for Den of Geek about the top 10 Chikara storylines. Kings of Wrestling is #3.

Awesome - that's the article I was looking for! Thanks!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

weekly font posted:

I think I read the reasoning was that this was fake fighting so why the hell shouldn't women be able to go toe to toe with men. But maybe that was just someone's explanation because if someone in Chikara said that about Chikara they'd be fired.

WWE does mixed-gender tag-teams, but the men never face the women, and it's just as fake as Chikara, so v:shobon:v

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Neito posted:

WWE does mixed-gender tag-teams, but the men never face the women, and it's just as fake as Chikara, so v:shobon:v
A lot of TV networks have something against man-on-woman violence

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Flameingblack posted:

A lot of TV networks have something against man-on-woman violence

Yeah having a mixed match would lose them their pg-13 rating.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's that 10 Best Chikara Storylines thing I wrote.

Meanwhile, some interesting videos on the Chikara YouTube channel:

Rough Waters (1, 2, 3): A series about Dalton Castle, who showed up once or twice in the Wrestling Is shows. He's the nephew of the dearly departed Darkness Crabtree and has just come into a lot of money. Somehow this translates to him dressing up as a ship captain. I don't know.

Previously on Chikara: A couple videos that explain certain storylines. So far they only have the Colony stuff, Wink Vavasseur's meltdown and how Icarus defeated Titor Conglomerate.

Event Center: Eddie Kingston doing a quality promo. The best part is him claiming that the Grand Championship meant nothing before he won it, which... I guess is accurate.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Huh, I've only seen him in dark matches a couple times on Pittsburgh area ROH shows, but Dalton Castle is the champ of the only local indie that brings in major guys on occasion.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I don't think it's so much a ship captain as it is a snobby, old money rich guy getting ready to go out on his yacht.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Suben posted:

I don't think it's so much a ship captain as it is a snobby, old money rich guy getting ready to go out on his yacht.

According to the fourth and final installment, pretty much. I guess on Sunday we'll see the debut of "Smooth Sailin'" Ashley Remington.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

And double post.

Tag World: Night 3 was tonight. It was an okay show with a really fun main event. The Throwbacks won the tournament after beating the Devastation Corporation, meaning that they're going to be in the fatal fourway tomorrow. When Knight Eye for the Pirate Guy lost, the Pieces of Hate rushed the ring and brawled with them to the back for having their tag belts.

Both Corporation guys did some crazy aerial stuff tonight. Namely Smashmaster doing a somersault senton off the top.

Should tomorrow's iPPV get its own thread or should we just keep it here?

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Gavok posted:

Both Corporation guys did some crazy aerial stuff tonight. Namely Smashmaster doing a somersault senton off the top.

Holy crap! That sounds amazing. Or impressive. Or at least surprising?

Any goons attending the show in person? Say hello! I'd say "look for the chubby 5'9' white dude in a video game tee" but that'd be half the audience.Look for the Asian with the goatee wearing a cowboy hat. That's my buddy James. Say hi to him, and you'll probably find me. :p

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
I pre-ordered the show but I'm not sure where I go to watch the live stream. Can somebody help me out?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Dr. Baker posted:

I pre-ordered the show but I'm not sure where I go to watch the live stream. Can somebody help me out?

When you're logged into smvod.com under the account you used to order the iPPV, there will be a stream on the event page. The scrolling banner of PPVs at the top of the homepage has it listed, like, second maybe? Just click on that when it comes up.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Anybody else getting an internal server error message?

EDIT - Nevermind, connected now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that's a big crowd

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Perry Normal posted:

Anybody else getting an internal server error?

Yup. Just settling in to watch the show and instead I get to watch internal server errors.

drat.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
The most indy crowd

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

thelazyblank posted:

Yup. Just settling in to watch the show and instead I get to watch internal server errors.

drat.

Keep refreshing, I just got it to work.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Giant crowd doing THE WAVE

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Quarter of a decade later - BDK still exists and Quack still hasn't turned heel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Chuckie T!

• Locked thread