Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invisiblelantern
Jan 15, 2007
Growing up listen to Stern in the 90s, he represented something...different than what was on the other radio stations, at least here in CT. Like that kind of counterculture element still in the public eye that comes around every so often. There was no morning zoo hijinks, no boring chatter about blase topics, no goofy "yuk yuk" kind of humor. In my mind, he was cutting edge -- the humor was sharp and witty, the writing team was spot on and his self debasement definitely influenced my own sense of humor to some degree. He was frank, forthright about his neuroses and funny -- and as the above poster said, a great interviewer to boot. He also made due with what he was given -- he could makes topics and "memes" I guess out of the regular show crew -- Bababooey, Scott the Engineer's awful smoking habit, Jackie the scummy comedian, etc.

That he would regularly harangue celebrities was amusing, but that he would too regularly send out a stuttering interviewer to ask offensive questions to select celebrities was absolutely hilarious to me. It was bizarre, but funny, and only added to the "anti-establishment" appeal that he projected, at least during that time. Thinking back, asking Billy Crystal if "there would be a Mr. Saturday Night 2" was really biting, and his constant OJ Simpson calls are still pretty amusing to listen to.

Basically, he was in the right place and provided the right kind of entertainment for the time period, but after personnel changes, he kind of lost his touch. I haven't listened to a full show in years, nor am I likely to. The humor from his own life situations is gone, and he's decidedly out of touch and dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread