Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Count Freebasie posted:

Thirding this. The man got Quentin Tarantino to recount a story that he and Brad Pitt smoked a chuck of hash out of a Diet Coke can together in France, which Angelina and Brad probably didn't want broadcast.

I am a long-time Stern fan, and I can tell you that he genuinely is probably one of the greatest interviewers of all-time.

Did any other interviewer get Bryan Cranston to recount that the first time he had sex was with a prostitute and then tell the whole story? Or get John Cena to admit that he fucks fat chicks when he needs to? Get that one moron from ICP to admit he was molested as a kid?

I've listened to him for years, and his ability to get celebrities to admit things they normally never would is amazing. He may be the best out there, and I say that with no exaggeration. YouTube some of his celebrity interviews and you'll see.

This right here is what most people will never get about Stern if they haven't given him a fair shot. He became known for controversial antics and sex-talk in a time when the FCC was rabid over that poo poo, but that's not where his real talent is.

The Howard Stern Interview is unique. He has frank and genuine way of speaking that seems to put even the most up-tight celebrities at ease. I think a part of it is that he spent his entire early career talking about personal poo poo that no other radio host would, and the audience came to feel like the knew him, even celebrities. So when celebrities enter his studio they are more willing to engage on that level; Its only fair because Stern himself has been doing it for years.

You know a celebrity is uptight when they decline to be on with Stern, not because he's going to ask them when they lost their virginity, but because he might ask them about something that really matters. Someone like Tom Cruise for example could never go on because there's no telling Stern ahead of time not to discuss Scientology. Its what people are wondering about Tom Cruise, therefore its what Stern will ask about, period.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

I really don't think anyone at all was remotely surprised to find out that Brad Pitt and Quentin Tarantino once smoked some hash together in France. That's not really the kind of "shock jock" material he first became known for and these days that sounds like a headline TMZ would reject for being too boring.

I used to find Howard Stern decently funny back when I listened to him regularly in the 90's but also I was a high school kid at the time.

Forget about that one specific example, I agree with you on that. The point is he gets big name, sometimes legit A-list celebrities to sit down and do extensive, personal interviews the likes of which you literally don't see anywhere else in media.

Most of these big stars are used to going on a radio show or Good Morning America for 8 minutes and talking about the movie they're promoting, but when they agree to do Stern they know its a totally different kind of interview. That's what makes him unique.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Time Trial posted:

Edit: he also basically said we should kill all brown people on 9/11

A lot of Americans had some nasty thoughts going through their heads on 9/11 that they'd be embarrassed to admit to today. Stern just had a microphone in his face for 4 hours without any time to actually digest what was happening. I think its understandable that he ended up saying some things that sound very stupid and ignorant more than a decade later.

Of course I think it probably goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway. He didn't literally say "kill all brown people".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

small hendren posted:

What if his name was Howard Storm.

The name is actually kind of his whole career in a nutshell. Very few other radio personalities(certainly none in the late 80's when he was starting to get big)would have stuck with the name Howard Stern. Right up front he was telling people that they were going to be getting a real person every morning, not some yuck yuck morning zoo jerkoff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

JMilton posted:

Yes it can be held against him. He was a grown man and it's contingent on him to keep his cool. I bet if it happened today he would have a more mature response than "bomb them all."

Well if it happened today he'd have the benefit of that 9/11 experience, so yea I'm sure you're right.

I'm not sure I understand why its "contingent on him to keep his cool" though. Nobody else in the whole country kept their cool, why would he be expected to? Its important to remember he's not a news anchor or a journalist.

• Locked thread